Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• Boid Fink

Participant

I cannot express this enough. The amount of pressure he generates, his ability to track runners, his ability to drop in zone…they are irreplaceable and his loss will drastically hurt this defense.

The Bucs need to understand what they have, and get that man onboard. Licht has to manipulate the cap in an effort to resign this catalyst.

And LaVonte David needs to be a part as well. Suh will be a big loss but his absence can be dealt with a lot easier than losing those two obviously. Suh is a strong strong man, but he might be the guy who gets trimmed.

What are the odds that Licht knows Shaq is an elite pass rusher that needs to be retained somehow? That has to be priority number 1!

• kenntak

Participant

One of the players on the Bucs was interviewed (I forgot which one) and he said Shaq is the most important person to retain out of all of the free agents.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Why do people assume hes leaving?

He might leave, sure.

Whos paying him 20-25 mil a year? Maybe 2 or 3 teams can even afford that, & they wont make the playoffs even.

I think he signs with tampa 3-4 years 16-18 mil a year range.

Once brady restructures that’ll free up 14-16 mil this year alone.

If he leaves so be it. He isnt worth 20+ mil.

Again hes solid, near if not elite, but much different player without vea on the field.

An edge @32 could replace him. Wont necessary match his #s obviously, but shaq isnt some generational talent. Theres a reason he didnt start on Denver. Plus he’s already 28. More then 4 years would be a mistake.

• JC5100

Participant

You’re going to lose Shaq once you pay him. Derek Barnett would go crazy this year in Shaq’s role.

• buccnation

Participant

I like Barnett but the dude is injured quite a bit. I also see the Eagles extending him to lower the cap hit. If not, then yeah I would love to sign him at a reasonable price. He has potential but to say he will easily replace Shaq is a stretch as well.

Getting Barnett at $7-$8 mil and drafting an edge rusher in the 1st or 2nd would be a solid plan. But Barnett has to become available first.

• Pennywise

Participant

Shaq and David both won’t be back , I’m guessing David is odd man out .

• Runole

Participant

3 strikes you are out! “Penny” lol

• buc-in-out

Participant

The Offseason FA Priority List for me is as follows:

1) Shaq
      2) Lavonte
      3) Godwin
      4) Suh
      5) Gron
      6) AB

I love Godwin, he’s been great and he’s a fantastic WR but we need to do what will help us most to get another SB THIS year, and that’s keeping this defense together.

Too many of you guys are worried about the future, because that’s ALL we’ve ever had to do for 15 years.. what about our draft picks? What about the cap space? That’s all out the window, we have the GOAT he’s probably only going to play for one more year, DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN ANOTHER SUPERBOWL, not what it takes to be a 7-9 team after he’s gone.

The honest truth is that while it’d be great to keep him, he’s not vital to the offense. What we saw from our offense from the Bye week onward was a whole hell of a lot of 2TE sets. There will be plenty of receivers available in FA who we can sign for a 1 year $4-5 million range ala Breshad Perriman who will round out our receiver room with Mike, Scooter and TJ. If that guy is AB, it would be awesome.

I honestly think there’s a way that we can keep everybody if we shuffle some money around, that’d be my preference… mortgage the future like the Saints did for another run.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by buc-in-out.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I totally agree with these points. Great write up. But lets look at your list.

1) Shaq
        2) Lavonte
        3) Godwin
        4) Suh
        5) Gronk
        6) AB

I agree that Shaq should be the top priority, but I would move Godwin ahead of Lavonte. Lavonte is now 31 years old and going into his 10th season. Don’t be surprised if they draft Mizzou LB Nick Bolton at 32 to groom as his replacement.

As for Shaq, I agree with the consensus that drafting an edge rusher at 32 to replace him if he leaves via FA will also be an option.

Godwin should be easy to bring back if the price can be reasonable for both. And based on his interviews, he seems like a reasonable guy who would give the Bucs a hometown discount. Plus his smokin’ hot fiancee loves it here.

AB, Suh, and Gronk should be easy to retain on cap friendly deals. Especially AB and Gronk because AB knows no one else will touch him and Gronk will only play with TB12.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I am ALL for drafting DL/EDGE at 32, agreed with you 100%.

Even if we retain Shaq, that’s a position we should be looking to add depth/rotational starters with upside early in the draft.

Another monster DT with some strength to replace Suh…or an EDGE player who can bend. I was happy with Nelson’s progression last season, he earned his snaps as a gap filler with some length and strength… but we need someone with Shaq’s burst and quickness off the snap, and his ability to bend in half. Supposedly half the board thinks he’s a bum, but I digress.

I do not think an inside backer taken at 32 overall can come in and play in this defense with the processing speed and closing speed which Lavonte shows even at 31 years old.

David and White are the heart of this defense, and while White’s made the splash players, David’s done the dirty work and mentored the kid. I fucking LOVE seeing David coach White up, love how competitive they are with each other, trash talking each other like brothers.

I think Godwin’s gotta be looking at Diggs contract as what’s realistic. 4-5 years @ $14-15 million is probably what he’s worth. CG’ woman is a certified babe. She looks like she could clench her butt cheeks and rip your dick off, but in a good way.

I’m less certain on AB, I don’t see him coming back for cheap… he drives way too many supercars to take home town discounts. If he’s in for another 1 year deal at $5 million, sure? Could another team give him the term? Keep all these guys on 1 year deals.

Gronk will definitely be back, and if Lenny doesn’t want to come back for cheap I really like the idea of Marlon Mack, Bucman brought him up.. LOVE that.. or James White AND Adrian Peterson to replace Lenny and Shady.

• kenntak

Participant

I see it the same way as @buc-in-out, and my list would be the same. Arians even hinted that the offensive players are expendable.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by kenntak.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I have it on good authority that guys like Shaq grow on trees. He’ll be easy to replace.

• Vance

Participant

Sticking to my words. Shaq isn’t that great without Vea. I am staying with it.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I think we let Godwin go…

Love the kid but we can’t afford what he wants, and what he wants is too much (not that I blame him).

Godwin to the Colts
      David and Barrett stay

Gronk paycut
      Brady paycut
      Evans paycut

Suh gone

Gotta draft well this year

• JC5100

Participant

Bucs are $170M under the 2021 cap. They can afford him.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Think out a little longer… gotta pay Vea, Wirfs, Winfield, White.

If Godwin takes a 3 year deal, sure… but why would he?

• JC5100

Participant

I think Godwin would take 4 years. He becomes a free agent again at 29. Spotrac has his market value at $17.1M

Give him a $30M signing bonus and guarantee 2021 and 2022 base salaries for a total of $43M guaranteed.

2021- 2M + 7.5M = 9.5M
        2022- 11M + 7.5M = 18.5M
        2023- 12M + 7.5M = 19.5M
        2024- 13M + 7.5M = 20.5M

If Godwin’s franchise number was $9.5M would anyone think of not tagging him? Of course not, so what’s the problem with this?

David’s market value is 3 for $38M. Easy. $21M signing bonus with guaranteed 2021 and 2022 base salaries for a total of $30M guaranteed. If he doesn’t take it then you have to let him walk.

2021- 2M + 7M = 9M
        2022- 7M + 7M = 14M
        2023- 8M + 7M = 15M You’re looking at potentially $7M of dead money here but it’s price of win now mode.

So you just got Godwin and David back for a total of $18.5M in 2021. Got to do some house keeping to be able to tag Barrett (cut Brate, extend Smith, restructures).

• Runole

Participant

THOUGHTS don’t seem to be accurate. lol

• Boid Fink

Participant

If anyone thinks that Shaq is replaceable by any of the free agents…they are insane.

And for the guy who said he couldn’t crack the starting lineup in Denver…I have to tell you about their linebacker situation? Don’t be such a noob.

Shaq has elite pressure numbers, his coverage is decent, and his sack totals are great. You cannot replace that. His presence in that lineup is vital, and without him, the defense is going to be alright, but it won’t be nearly as effective at generating pass rush, which is job 1.

Brady needs a good defense to back him up.

They need to keep Shaq and David, and maybe fiddle with the salaries (convert to bonus? Depends on if the Glazers want to give that money away in a block payment, and that’s a big IF…) and try to retain Godwin, and Gronk (his blocking was supreme, possibly why Smith came out looking roses…it certainly helped him for sure!). Gronk looked to be quick as hell from his start here as a Buc, in which he looked like he was covered in cement.

AB isn’t a need, he is a vital luxury, but he shouldn’t be a replacement for Godwin. Godwin was handpicked and grown, and Brady raves about the kid. He was beat to hell and still motored on, I still think Licht may tag him, and figure out his salary after one more title run where they can start to cut fat off this roster again.

• RW

Participant

If anyone thinks that Shaq is replaceable by any of the free agents…they are insane.; Well not really.
        He’s really good but he is replaceable. He played great in the Superbowl but he had Vea back and was against two backup tackles. If you look at objective stats he wasn’t even top 5 at his position this year. I’d love to see him on the team next year but it all comes down to money.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by RW.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by RW.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Sticking to my words. Shaq isn’t that great without Vea. I am staying with it.

Shaq was second in the NFL (to the generational Aaron Donald) in QBP’s this season with Vea sidelined the vast majority of the year. Giving certain players credit for other players performance isn’t a good idea.

Bucs are $170M under the 2021 cap. They can afford him.

You should chat with this dude who has been saying the team is in cap hell for last four or five years. I’ll bump the thread so y’all can argue.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Vea made Shaq? Do you even watch games bro? 🤡

• Vance

Participant

I did not say Vea “made” Shaq. I said he isn’t that great ..meaning Shaq is a dominate player with Vea playing in front of him. SHAQ does pressure the qb well he he is good run supporter without Vea. He will be that 2019 Shaq with Vea playing. Remember I said “great” not “made”.

• RW

Participant

Shaq plays better with Vea in the lineup.

• TCB2W!

Participant

Shaq may not have the money thrown at him as he thinks he will. Nor may Fournette find a lucrative contract. Peter Schrager thinks it will be a blood bath with all the cuts. We are already seeing a lot of cuts. I am sure there will be many more. Schrager feels a lot of higher tier players will have to take cheap 1 or 2 year deals just to get by until they can get that next big contract. So speculating that Shaq can command 20 million or Godwin 17 million may not be reality, at least not this year.

• SaskBucs

Participant

Losing Shaq would no doubt be a loss, but whoever replaces him couldn’t be in a better position to succeed. It is for that reason, I am not losing any sleep at night.

Some of you are forgetting Succop in the list of FAs that the Bucs need to retain. He is higher on the list than AB and Suh there is no doubt about that. Succop is a top 4 priority and I know the kicker salary won’t dent the cap too badly but it is still 3-5 million the Bucs won’t have.

All these guys can and should be brought back if the price is reasonable. The outside market, as others have mentioned, won’t be nearly as friendly this year. Only guy I would potentially pay slightly more than market value for is David. That is likely a foolish business decision but a FA can come in and get 8 sacks, what LB is gonna come in and be the high end utility man Lavonte is? The 10 year Buc who is the heart of that D?

David
      Shaq
      Godwin
      Succop
      Gronk
      Suh
      ….

AB
      Lenny

• Boid Fink

Participant

Again, you cannot replace Shaq B. His market will be present, and his value will be high. Pass rushers like that don’t grow on trees.

His loss will be felt, and assuming someone else will come in and be just as devastating off the edge is stupid.

You guys watch football? Shaq is a MJ ster elite edge rusher. He is a massive reason they won the Lombardi.

• RW

Participant

I think all of us watch football and a few of us know football so give us a break! For a guy you say is “irreplaceable” he was barely a factor against WFT and the Saints registering a total of 3 tackles, one for a loss and no sacks. Yes Barrett was great against Green Bay and the Chiefs but he certainly was helped by both those teams being without their best offensive tackles.

If the Bucs can get a reasonable deal around $18 million per for 4 years I say do it but if he wants $22 million then I say no. The Bucs will find a good replacement for cheaper.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

We gotta keep Barrett.

But if the Jags gave him 20m a year, his production would suffer on that defense.

Shaq fits us perfectly but is not a slam dunk FA prospect.

Top of my list to keep because we need him badly, but if a team is going to overpay they might have some buyers remorse.

• kegan

Participant

I thought there was a good chance of him continuing with the Bucs. I didn’t think he could sign with another team before the beginning of free agency. But apparently you have inside info…

• Boid Fink

Participant

FireLicht, he is a football player. He will do his jobs regardless of team. You can see that in the way he plays.

He is elite.

And Jacksonville is about to be revived shortly here.