Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs help Jameis Winston manage offenseRick Stroud, Times Staff WriterFriday, September 25, 2015 win_zpsiyxtqgrq.pngBucs Jameis Winston celebrates his TD run in the 3rd qtr. with Austin Seferian-Jenkins (87) during the Tampa Bay Bucs game against the New Orleans Saints in the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans Sunday 9/20/2015. JIM DAMASKE  |  Times Coach Lovie Smith is calling the Bucs defensive plays this season. But don't think he's not heavily in the headset of offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.After the disappointing NFL debut by rookie QB Jameis Winston in Week 1, the Bucs' game plan against the Saints last Sunday was conservative even by Smith's standards. Excluding the touchdown drive in the final 1:15 of the first half, Winston officially attempted only three of his passes on first down.Playing around their quarterback, the Bucs ran the football 22 times on first and second down. No wonder Winston called himself a "game manager."Of course, when you win, there is no reason to justify anything. The goal was to prevent Winston from making an early mistake as he did against the Titans and wreck the game.But the easiest down to throw the football is first down, when the defense is fairly predictable and geared with personnel to stop the run."Make no mistake, our head coach wants us to run the football and play good defense, play good special teams," Koetter said. "That's coach Smith's formula for winning and that's a proven formula in the NFL."Every game takes on its own personality. We were way out of balance in our run/pass ratio on first and second down, way out of balance. I don't know if I have ever been in a game — I think it was something like 18/3 if I'm not mistaken, somewhere right around there. We were out of balance, but that was just what that game called for. That's just the way that game went. I do not think most games will go that way, but if they do and we have (seven) more than them ... then that's great."When Winston did attempt a first-down pass, he was successful. His attempts included a drop on a deep ball to TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, a 40-yard pass interference penalty against Louis Murphy, a 1-yard touchdown run on a scramble and a 54-yard pass to Murphy."There's going to come a time with every quarterback (when) it's time to win the game for us," Koetter said. "Before that time comes, there is the time when you don't lose the game for us. Jameis did a really good job of hanging in there. He made some beautiful throws, he missed some throws. That's just where we are at (with him)."DAVID STILL GETTING BETTER: LB Lavonte David already is among the best players in the NFL. But in the first two games this season, it's obvious he has improved his ability to get into passing lanes and cover receivers. The two passes he defended last week at New Orleans got the Bucs defense off the field in critical situations."When you are a special player you should make a whole lot of special plays and he can," Smith said. "We'll continue to put things on his plate and just like everybody else, second year in the defense he's seeing a lot of things — it's a defense designed for that position to be at the point of attack and make a lot of plays. When you have a special guy like that it's fun watching him."SIMS FLASHES: The Bucs didn't get much out of RB Charles Sims as a rookie. He missed the first half of the season with a foot injury. But in Week 2, Sims displayed the burst and explosion through the hole they expected when they drafted him in the third round."He's looking exactly like that guy that we drafted," Smith said. "Again, he's a young player still. He should make more improvements this week."QUOTE OF THE DAY: From Smith, when asked if the 0-2 Texans would be a desperate and dangerous team to play. "I don't want to hear about them being desperate. We're desperate."

Please wait…

• farzillo

Participant

Lovie needs to stay the hell away from the offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1Let Koetter handle it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LovieMRSA needs to stay the hell away from the offense.

Eh, same diff..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t want to hear about them being desperate. We’re desperate. Now THAT is a good Lovie quote!  RIP Yogi Berra. I know you taught Lovie well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, you know this is Dungy ball. Love it or hate it, Dungy ball was the most successful era in Tampa Bay history. Maybe we just need a little bit of WD-40 sprayed on the running game to lube it up and get it going!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure. In Koetter's last two years in Atlanta, he was throwing the ball too much and he admitted as much. I don't really want to see a 18/3 ratio on first down with that many predictable runs, but maybe between Lovie's demand to run the ball and Koetter's preference to throw it, we'll hit a better ratio in the end. I love Koetter as a offensive coordinator, but his last two season's in Atlanta seemed to prove to him that you have to have a viable running game in the NFL as well as a passing game. Frankly, I'd be happy to see a run heavy offense this week as well, especially if it starts off as well as it did last week.Houston has been giving up the run this season, so I honestly expect that and screens to be our offense on Sunday. And if the running game does enough, then play-action stuff down the field. I just hope that the team is a bit LESS conservative if we have a lead in the 4th quarter next Sunday.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When you look at teams that have made the playoffs with rookie QB’s, this is how they have all won games early in the season. If anything Winston is getting more on his plate than I saw guys like Ryan, Flacco, or Rothelsberger get in their first few games, because our O-Line is so inexperienced as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, you know this is Dungy ball. Love it or hate it, Dungy ball was the most successful era in Tampa Bay history. Maybe we just need a little bit of WD-40 sprayed on the running game to lube it up and get it going!

It is non-stick cooking spray, and it believe it is illegal to use.Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ugh…Why the hell can't Lovie just stay away from the offense?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Long term this is a bad philosophy.  Lovie will never win d-ck here with Dungy ball.  Hell, Dungy never won anything with Dungy ball…neither did Lovie.  It’s an outdated run first archaic garbage ideal that has gone the way of the do-do.This is still a six win team....max.  Playoff talk is stupid.  The only reason we won last sunday was because Brees was broken.  That's it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ugh...Why the hell can't Lovie just stay away from the offense?

Agreed.This offense needs lovie like a fart needs a nose to smell it.Like a fat kid needs cake.Like a pair of sweatpants needs a boner.Like sweating mike tyson in a spelling bee.Lovie running an offense might actually suck worse than an amish virgin. I literally would rather watch paint dry, than to watch a lovie version of an offense.Just say no lovie! Avoid the temptation, and stf away.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed.This offense needs lovie like a fart needs a nose to smell it.Like a fat kid needs cake.Like a pair of sweatpants needs a boner.Like sweating mike tyson in a spelling bee.Lovie running an offense might actually suck worse than an amish virgin. I literally would rather watch paint dry, than to watch a lovie version of an offense.Just say no lovie! Avoid the temptation, and stf away.

Koetter was brought in for a reason. Let him do his job!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who's gonna play the role of #40?

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

That's quite simple--it's his team. But why don't you call and tell him what you think is best for "his" team.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Long term this is a bad philosophy.  Lovie will never win d-ck here with Dungy ball.  Hell, Dungy never won anything with Dungy ball...neither did Lovie.  It's an outdated run first archaic garbage ideal that has gone the way of the do-do.This is still a six win team....max.  Playoff talk is stupid.  The only reason we won last sunday was because Brees was broken.  That's it.

The record disagree with your statements.While Dungy was here his record was 54-42 that sounds like winning ball to me.At Indy his record was 85-27 sounds like winning ball to me.In spite of being just 3-15 while here, Lovie's overall record is 84-78 sounds like winning ball to me.Maybe you have a different meaning for "never won anything". But that wouldn't surprise me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's quite simple--it's his team. But why don't you call and tell him what you think is best for "his" team.

You're right. 3-15 as our head coach and an offense that ranked near dead last in the league...who the hell would question such greatness?!

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Long term this is a bad philosophy.  Lovie will never win d-ck here with Dungy ball.  Hell, Dungy never won anything with Dungy ball...neither did Lovie.  It's an outdated run first archaic garbage ideal that has gone the way of the do-do.This is still a six win team....max.  Playoff talk is stupid.  The only reason we won last sunday was because Brees was broken.  That's it.

Wow glad I've got you around to educate me, Because I was thinking we won because we scored more points than they did. But I've been enlightened-- we won because Brees broke himself and they didn't have a back-up QB to come in and take over like Dallas did to win their game. Oh my you're so bright your parents should be very proud of you..

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

You're right. 3-15 as our head coach and an offense that ranked near dead last in the league...who the hell would question such greatness?!

Questioning his greatness is not the issue--Didn't I suggest that you call and offer him your expertise.The Glazer gave him total authority over everything that happens on the field and if his method doesn't work--- he'll be gone. That's just how it works in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Questioning his greatness is not the issue--Didn't I suggest that you call and offer him your expertise.The Glazer gave him total authority over everything that happens on the field and if his method doesn't work--- he'll be gone. That's just how it works in the NFL.

Maybe he should keep meddling with the offense. It'll make it that much sooner we get a new head coach.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Maybe he should keep meddling with the offense. It'll make it that much sooner we get a new head coach.

There is no head coach in the NFL who doesn't have at least some input into his offense. He's the responsible for everything that happens. In this article the OC is not fussing about it. Just the experts on message boards. I'm sure he and Koetter agreed on how things were going to work. And I'm willing to let them do their thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is no head coach in the NFL who doesn't have at least some input into his offense. He's the responsible for everything that happens. In this article the OC is not fussing about it. Just the experts on message boards. I'm sure he and Koetter agreed on how things were going to work. And I'm willing to let them do their thing.

He has a history of ineptitude on offense. I want him as little as involved as possible. Why would you want him to have anything remotely close to a significant say in it?

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

He has a history of ineptitude on offense. I want him as little as involved as possible. Why would you want him to have anything remotely close to a significant say in it?

He has never run an offense so what history are you talking about. You can question whether he has ever hired the right OC ( example Martz in Chicago) but attributing offensive ineptitude personally to him doesn't seem fair. I attribute it more to never having a franchise QB. He has one now. I heard Gruden say a few weeks ago if he had had a franchise QB he'd still be coaching.This is a QB driven league. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has never run an offense so what history are you talking about. You can question whether he has ever hired the right OC ( example Martz in Chicago) but attributing offensive ineptitude personally to him doesn't seem fair. I attribute it more to never having a franchise QB. He has one now. I heard Gruden say a few weeks ago if he had had a franchise QB he'd still be coaching.This is a QB driven league.

He's never had a franchise QB, but he has one now? So, we know that Winston is a franchise guy after one absolutely atrocious game and an above average one? I'll wait for a sample size that consists of more than 2 games. Gruden had a chance at a franchise QB. The guy could never develop young talent.You're right. Love has never "run an offense". But, you say it's "his team" and "every coach has a say in their offense"; so yes...he has a shotty record as far as offenses are concerned.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

He's never had a franchise QB, but he has one now? So, we know that Winston is a franchise guy after one absolutely atrocious game and an above average one? I'll wait for a sample size that consists of more than 2 games. Gruden had a chance at a franchise QB. The guy could never develop young talent.You're right. Love has never "run an offense". But, you say it's "his team" and "every coach has a say in their offense"; so yes...he has a shotty record as far as offenses are concerned.

Yep he has one now. Didn't say I think--'said he has one now. You can wait for your sample size--bit I'm declaring it today." Yep he has one now. The future is so bright for the triplets-- Lovie--Keotter and Jameis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep he has one now. Didn't say I think--'said he has one now. You can wait for your sample size--bit I'm declaring it today." Yep he has one now. The future is so bright for the triplets-- Lovie--Keotter and Jameis.

Cool story, bro. He's done nothing at this point to be given that title. I sure hope he earns it, though.Triplets? Bwahahaha...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Koetter’s comment was a big juicy bone to the Lovie = Dungy crowd. Definitely some truth in it

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Cool story, bro. He's done nothing at this point to be given that title. I sure hope he earns it, though.Triplets? Bwahahaha...

Oh He will earn it-- I'm so confident he will!!! I'd bet my house on it--If I was a betting man. Hope I'm wrong but it seems like you really don't want him too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope I'm wrong but it seems like you really don't want him too.

You're a sharp one! I rooted for us to draft him all this time, simply to see him fail!You figured me out, Harry. Must be cuz' I'm a "good ole boy"...right?

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Hope I'm wrong but it seems like you really don't want him too.

You're a sharp one! I rooted for us to draft him all this time, simply to see him fail!You figured me out, Harry. Must be cuz' I'm a "good ole boy"...right?

I know what you're implying.. Can we please leave the race thing alone for a minute and make it about football. I said I hope I'm wrong-- and if I am all is good. And lets back this team to win some games--I want to win so badly. I'm a Bucs fan and I'm totally supporting the whole team--including the head coach whether I like him and his philosophy or not. He is what we've got so let's forget about his long history of offensive ineptitude and roll with him and Koetter this year. At the end of the season--if he doesn't win at least 7 games--fire his arse. Till then Go Bucs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know what you're implying.. Can we please leave the race thing alone for a minute and make it about football.

Irony at it's finest...But, on a serious note; I want them all to excel. I just have zero faith in Lovie and am very nervous about him being the HC that will oversee Winston's development as a QB. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just going off of his track record.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know what you're implying.. Can we please leave the race thing alone for a minute and make it about football.

Irony at it's finest...But, on a serious note; I want them all to excel. I just have zero faith in Lovie and am very nervous about him being the HC that will oversee Winston's development as a QB. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just going off of his track record.

Me either, but we're kinda all hoping koetter is the primary "talker" in their relationship.

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.