Lovie Prefers Jameis Winston — For Now

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Now if this was from someone with…. well any credibility this would be interesting. Looking at the source, nope.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why on earth would they run the same offense as last season??

The so-called OC from last season, with the help of McCown, was drawing up plays during the week. I don't know if this can be called an NFL offense if the OC is asking players for help during the season.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve wanted Mariota from the beginning, not just for off field reasons. I think Mariota’s on field decision making is severely under appreciated. I also think Winston’s on field decision making wasn’t good at all this year. In the 4th quarter he played well and I’m sorry that gave me flashbacks to Freeman. That style is hard to win in the NFL if you’re constantly digging yourself a whole.It sounds like I and a lot of other fans are going to have to come to terms with the fact Winston is probably going to be the pick. I'm good with it cause I would hope if the Bucs cleared his off field issues, he should be able to mature and be the face of the franchise. I will say this that if Winston is the pick then Koetter relationship with Helfrich could very well be in play also and maybe not everything was as positive as we might think.  Of course Jameis still has to keep his nose clean and we will see how much negative publicity he gets from the movie.All I want is a true franchise QB to lead this team to being a consistent playoff team. Buc fans have suffered enough and getting Super Bowl win seems like such a distant memory.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The QB guru preferred Mariota... the coach that knows diddly about offense wants the other guy.... smhOh well.. lets go Jameis. I can't wait to see how this goes.

I agree YG. The reasons I prefer Mariota are well documented. However, I need to accept the fact that drafting Winston is a real possibility. The kid is a very good passer, I just hope all the off the field stuff he has learned from or can learn from. I'm not sure how likely he is to learn from it but I'm going to make an effort to start seeing the good in him and wishing for the best because if there is one thing I'm confident in, it's Lovie Smith's ability to make the wrong decision at QB at every possible turn. Oh well, I'm officially changing my opinion to I want Mariota but will root for Winston if we draft him.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t believe our Defensive Minded Coach who knows nothing about offense likes the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck more than a “QB Guru’s” choice of a project QB.  That is so crazy and insane I just can’t believe it.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Trestman is not with the Bucs because he didn't want to come to Tampa.

Odd that he interviewed here if he didn't want to come.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Which way the wind blows at No. 1By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.comTAMPA, Fla. -- Time for a look at what we're seeing and hearing about what the Buccaneers might do with the No. 1 overall draft pick. It's very early in the process and much will depend on what happens at the scouting combine, pro days and individual interviews. But the early indicators are that Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston is the favorite -- for now. I've heard that coach Lovie Smith prefers Winston over Oregon's Marcus Mariota. From what I have gathered, Smith chose Dirk Koetter as his offensive coordinator over Marc Trestman. The logic was simple. Although Smith and Trestman had similar philosophies about how to run an offense, they disagreed on the quarterbacks. Trestman preferred Mariota. Smith favors Winston and Smith is the boss. There is lots of logic behind Smith's preference. Mariota spent his college career running a spread offense. Winston ran a pro-style offense. Both fared well, but there isn't much room for comparison. At Florida State, Winston ran an offense that is at least somewhat similar to what the Bucs run. The offense Mariota ran looked nothing like that and the only comparable NFL offense is what the Philadelphia Eagles run. The Bucs still have to do plenty of homework on Winston off the field. He comes with some red flags. But, if the Bucs are looking for a quarterback that fits their style of offense, Winston has a big edge.LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/8702/which-way-the-wind-blows-at-no-1

Seems to be the most consistent message. As long as he checks out with all the background investigations going on, Winston looks to be the pick.Either way, JUST PICK ONE!This is easily the most nerve-racking I've felt about a Bucs draft in a looong time.

That became obvious when he picked his OC...But...But...I want to run the Spread with some speed in space stuff...crying-aby-with-hands-on-head-300x256.jpg

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

He did... then he didn't.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel like regardless of whom we pick, Lovie’s going to get zero credit.If it's Mariota, the hardcore Mariota fans will praise the Dirk Koetter-Helfrich connection. The hardcore Winston fans will criticize Lovie for not knowing what he's doing. If it's Winston, the hardcore Winston fans with thank the Glazers & Licht for overruling Lovie. The hardcore Mariota fans will criticize Lovie for not knowing what he's doing. If it's a trade down, of course it will be all Lovie's doing.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Was that before or after the Bucs said thanks but no thanks?

I feel like regardless of whom we pick, Lovie's going to get zero credit.If it's Mariota, the hardcore Mariota fans will praise the Dirk Koetter-Helfrich connection. The hardcore Winston fans will criticize Lovie for not knowing what he's doing. If it's Winston, the hardcore Winston fans with thank the Glazers & Licht for overruling Lovie. The hardcore Mariota fans will criticize Lovie for not knowing what he's doing. If it's a trade down, of course it will be all Lovie's doing.

Yep. That about sums it up.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The QB guru preferred Mariota... the coach that knows diddly about offense wants the other guy.... smhOh well.. lets go Jameis. I can't wait to see how this goes.

I agree YG. The reasons I prefer Mariota are well documented. However, I need to accept the fact that drafting Winston is a real possibility. The kid is a very good passer, I just hope all the off the field stuff he has learned from or can learn from. I'm not sure how likely he is to learn from it but I'm going to make an effort to start seeing the good in him and wishing for the best because if there is one thing I'm confident in, it's Lovie Smith's ability to make the wrong decision at QB at every possible turn. Oh well, I'm officially changing my opinion to I want Mariota but will root for Winston if we draft him.

This was a refreshing post to read.  I myself am Pro-Winston, but would still be more than happy to root for Mariota if he becomes the pick.  There is a lot to like about both QB's.  The glass is always half-full!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Odd that they interviewed him.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s a good idea for fans of Mariota to prepare themselves for Jameis Winston coming to town. He may wind up being the pick. But this report shouldn’t convince you of that. On the eve of the draft, Ira Kaufman had no idea who the Bucs would pick last year and neither did Yasinskas.Maybe this year is different with the number 1 pick and Lovie and friends are letting accurate information leak? Or, maybe they're leaking information in order to see how the fans will react? I don't know.What I DO know is Yasinskas threw out several names last year and hoped one would stick to the wall.May 8th was the day of the draft...* * * * * * * * * *http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/4422/kiper-mcshay-split-on-bucs-pickMay 8, 2014Although both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper had been connecting wide receiver Mike Evans to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in recent weeks, the two ESPN draft gurus went in other directions in their final mock drafts. In his Insider mock , Kiper has the Bucs taking Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. In his Insider mock , McShay has the Bucs going with Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Neither move would shock me. Let’s start with Kiper going with Manziel. As I wrote yesterday, it would make a lot of sense for the Bucs to take Manziel. They could get a franchise quarterback who could make a lot of good things happen on the field and generate a buzz for a team that could use some excitement. Now, let’s examine McShay’s pick of Donald at No. 7. It’s mildly surprising because defensive line isn’t viewed as a major need for the Bucs. But McShay’s logic is that Donald is too good to pass up. That’s a valid point. Put Donald with Gerald McCoy and the Bucs could have one of the best defensive tackle tandems in the league. And keep in mind, coach Lovie Smith has final say on personnel decisions and he’s a defensive-minded coach.* * * * * * * * * *http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/4418/keep-an-eye-on-derek-carrKeep an eye on Derek CarrMay, 8, 2014By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.comThere’s been a lot of talk about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers perhaps drafting quarterback Johnny Manziel. I think that remains a decent possibility. But I think there’s one other scenario involving a quarterback that nobody is talking about and maybe they should be. It’s a bit outside the box, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if the Bucs end up with Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr. Hear me out on this one because there’s logic behind it. First off, I’m not saying the Bucs would take Carr at the No. 7 slot. But I think he could become a possibility if the Bucs trade down into the middle of the first round. Carr has family history with Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford. Carr’s older brother, David, was coached by Tedford in college. Tedford is bound to have some say in the decision and he could push for the Bucs to take Carr. There are several other things Carr has going for him. Most scouts seem to think Carr might be the most NFL-ready quarterback in this draft and they like his strong arm. Again, I think Manziel remains a very real possibility. But if you hear the Bucs have traded down, start thinking about Carr.* * * * * * * * * *http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/4414/will-bucs-trade-no-7-pickWill Bucs trade No. 7 pick?May, 8, 2014By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.comThe rumors are flying about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers trading out of the No. 7 overall spot in the draft. One rumor has the Bucs trading up to No. 2 to get quarterback Johnny Manziel. Another has them trading down and adding a pick or picks. What’s the truth? We won’t find out until tonight, but I’ve got some theories now. Although I think the Bucs should draft Manziel if they stay at No. 7, I don’t think it would be a good move to trade up to No. 2.* * * * * * * * * *http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/4375/buccaneers-need-to-draft-johnny-manzielBuccaneers need to draft Johnny ManzielMay, 7, 2014By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.comBy calling one name Thursday night, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers instantly can be relevant. By calling one name, they can have the kind of star power that will sell tickets and ignite interest among a fan base that has been stagnant, except for the diehards. By calling one name, the Bucs could have the first franchise quarterback in franchise history. Johnny Manziel would not only bring star power to the Bucs, he would also allow them to compete in a division filled with franchise quarterbacks.If Johnny Manziel is sitting there at No. 7, the Bucs have to draft him. Heck, they could even trade up a few spots to make sure they get the most compelling player in this year's draft. Sure, there's always the possibility that Manziel -- or any rookie quarterback -- could come in and be a bust. It happens. But I don't think it would happen with Manziel and the Bucs.They'd also have the circus that comes with Johnny Football. But that's not a bad thing. Excitement, relevance and ticket sales come with a circus. If winning happens to factor into that equation, the Bucs would have the total package. If Manziel is there, Tampa Bay needs to grab him and make one of the most important moves in franchise history.* * * * * * * * * *http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/4383/why-i-drafted-mike-evansWhy I drafted Mike EvansMay, 6, 2014By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.comIn case you missed it, we conducted our NFL Nation live mock draft Tuesday. I made the selection for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 7. It turned out to be one of the easiest things I've ever done. With no hesitation and no viable offers to trade down, I quickly selected Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans. Yeah, I would have considered Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, whose speed might make him a better fit for the Bucs, but he was already gone. Evans is a big receiver just like Vincent Jackson, who already is in Tampa Bay's lineup. Putting Evans and Jackson is going to cause matchup problems for some defensive backs. The Bucs still need a slot receiver, but they might be able to find that later in the draft. In time, Evans can be an eventual successor to Jackson as the No. 1 receiver. I had two other thoughts in mind when the draft started. One was to take quarterback Johnny Manziel, which is something I think the Bucs could do in reality. But that wasn't an option after Cleveland took Manziel at No. 4. It was the same story for offensive tackle Jake Matthews, who went No. 6 to Atlanta. In the end, Evans was the only logical choice for me.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Pat y must not have gotten the memo that Oregon runs dirk koetters offense.

I don't remember seeing much of Oregon's offense in Atlanta or Jacksonville. I am a little confused. I know Koetter ran some spread concepts as a college head coach, but nothing like what Helfrich runs in Oregon. Heck he had Rudy Carpenter as a college QB. And even if that were 100% true Koetter has been on record saying that Lovie is the boss and he will run what Lovie wants. I just don't see Lovie changing his philosophy offensively. Not saying he shouldn't, just have a hard time imagining it.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Odd that they interviewed him.

Odd that they interviewed him, decided they didn't like his preference, then didn't want him? Doesn't sound odd at all to me.odd is that he interviewed then didn't interview (whatever that means).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.