Lovie Prefers Jameis Winston — For Now

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    install
    Participant

I think a case could be made that quarterback is the most dependent position... maybe later.

Yeah, it's always later with clowns like you. You're the type of *ss who would've passed on Luck for David Wilson.

Winston is the black Andrew Luck....You probably would have picked RG3, the more talented version of Mariota

. Rgknee is nothing like Mariota ...get a clue

Please distinguish the two without using intangibles then...I'll wait

. EZPZ .......Mariota has yet to throw a football in the NFL , until he does , it's apples and oranges

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

If that is the case, what reasoning can there possibly be for drafting a QB at #1?  Lovie wants a "game manager".  No team should ever draft a "game manager" in the first round, let alone the #1 pick.  That kind of QB can be obtained in the 2nd or 3rd round... or even found on the roster.

Lovie's desire to have a "game manager" is exactly why I think he'll go DE/DT with the #1 pick. Or trade down in a deal that essentially shafts us in terms of compensation. And if he thinks that he has "that guy" on the roster already, the Glazers should just fire him now.

All that Lovie only wants a "game manager" talk is just plain ignorant. If that were true, why did Chicago trade for the gun slinger. Jay Cutler.

That's because Jerry Angelo told Lovie to "stick it", and went out and got a QB.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    mike25315
    Participant

If that is the case, what reasoning can there possibly be for drafting a QB at #1?  Lovie wants a "game manager".  No team should ever draft a "game manager" in the first round, let alone the #1 pick.  That kind of QB can be obtained in the 2nd or 3rd round... or even found on the roster.

Lovie's desire to have a "game manager" is exactly why I think he'll go DE/DT with the #1 pick. Or trade down in a deal that essentially shafts us in terms of compensation. And if he thinks that he has "that guy" on the roster already, the Glazers should just fire him now.

All that Lovie only wants a "game manager" talk is just plain ignorant. If that were true, why did Chicago trade for the gun slinger. Jay Cutler.

That's because Jerry Angelo told Lovie to "stick it", and went out and got a QB.

Could you give us a link to or a source for this information or is this just your opinion of what happened.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believes FSU QB Jameis Winston and Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter seem "like a match made in heaven.""When you think about Dirk Koetter and who he has traditionally played with -- pocket quarterbacks," Brooks said on NFL AM Wednesday. "When I look at Tampa Bay, I try to connect the dots. It seems like a match made in heaven because Dirk Koetter knows how to play with those kinds of guys under center." Koetter, who coached with the Atlanta Falcons for three seasons, had success with Matt Ryan, who was a pocket passer. With Winston running something similar to what the Bucs run, he could be seen as Tampa's target at No.1

Bucky Brooks and Mike Mayock are two of the best analysts around and they bith prefer Winston. And I agree Koetter will love Jameis who they can plug in on day one vs. a 2 year project in Mariota that will use up a massive amount of time and resources just to allow him to be able to control a huddle (he has never been in a huddle) and take snaps from umder center (he has never taken snaps under center)

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, when are people, especially the press, going to do their homework? Here’s just one fine link that explains Koetter’s core offensive scheme. He is adaptable to his talent, which he had to do at times in Atlanta, especially when their OL sucked at times.http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/6/8/5777732/falcons-four-verticals-offenseNow go watch the Under Center show (Rick Neuhiesel) where he had Mariota on. Guess which offense they talk about. Some of you can say what you want, but Koetter's core offense, which he did, in fact, run in Atlanta, is the core that Mariota ran. Yes, they do more zone reads in Oregon, and Koetter had Ryan do more under center stuff, but where the QB is when the ball is snapped is irrelevant. Many NFL offenses spend as much or more time in the shotgun these days. You still need to read the defense, and the receivers need to make the correct cuts. If they do, someones open. Of course, the QB has to also be vertical still, and not horizontal from a sack, but that's another issue.FSU's scheme has some similar traits, but it's different and requires their QB to correctly read the defense pre-snap, something Winston is good at doing. But Winston also has a habit of forcing the ball even when his guys are covered well, which could either indicate that he failed to correctly read, or his guys were just all well covered, and he's trying to play hero.Bottom line is this: If they run Koetter's offense here, then Mariota is more day one ready for this offense than Winston. Same would be the case if he went to the Eagles. Winston would be more day one ready in a lot of other teams. Of course, I say "day one ready" with a grain of salt because neither is going to be truly ready and we really don't know which one will come up to speed faster. Mariota learns and applies incredibly quickly. Just look at his freshman games and you can see he already understood the core concepts in the offense. I really don't know what else to say to some of you, including the PR guys who clearly have an unhealthy love for Winston. But if Lovie wants to run Koetter's scheme, he's going to prefer Mariota. Period.In the end, I still highly doubt that a guy that has drawn so much negatively publicity nation wide (rightly or wrongly doesn't matter) will be the pick that this fan starved organization will want to go to. If they want to draw the most fans, while turning off the fewest, and thereby fill the stadium faster (they have to win to keep it filled), then Mariota is a sure bet. And I really doubt the Glazers want all that negative publicity that Winston WILL bring.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, when are people, especially the press, going to do their homework? Here's just one fine link that explains Koetter's core offensive scheme. He is adaptable to his talent, which he had to do at times in Atlanta, especially when their OL sucked at times.http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/6/8/5777732/falcons-four-verticals-offenseNow go watch the Under Center show (Rick Neuhiesel) where he had Mariota on. Guess which offense they talk about. Some of you can say what you want, but Koetter's core offense, which he did, in fact, run in Atlanta, is the core that Mariota ran. Yes, they do more zone reads in Oregon, and Koetter had Ryan do more under center stuff, but where the QB is when the ball is snapped is irrelevant. Many NFL offenses spend as much or more time in the shotgun these days. You still need to read the defense, and the receivers need to make the correct cuts. If they do, someones open. Of course, the QB has to also be vertical still, and not horizontal from a sack, but that's another issue.FSU's scheme has some similar traits, but it's different and requires their QB to correctly read the defense pre-snap, something Winston is good at doing. But Winston also has a habit of forcing the ball even when his guys are covered well, which could either indicate that he failed to correctly read, or his guys were just all well covered, and he's trying to play hero.Bottom line is this: If they run Koetter's offense here, then Mariota is more day one ready for this offense than Winston. Same would be the case if he went to the Eagles. Winston would be more day one ready in a lot of other teams. Of course, I say "day one ready" with a grain of salt because neither is going to be truly ready and we really don't know which one will come up to speed faster. Mariota learns and applies incredibly quickly. Just look at his freshman games and you can see he already understood the core concepts in the offense. I really don't know what else to say to some of you, including the PR guys who clearly have an unhealthy love for Winston. But if Lovie wants to run Koetter's scheme, he's going to prefer Mariota. Period.In the end, I still highly doubt that a guy that has drawn so much negatively publicity nation wide (rightly or wrongly doesn't matter) will be the pick that this fan starved organization will want to go to. If they want to draw the most fans, while turning off the fewest, and thereby fill the stadium faster (they have to win to keep it filled), then Mariota is a sure bet. And I really doubt the Glazers want all that negative publicity that Winston WILL bring.

Dude you are trippin'.Mariota ran a no huddle read option spread offense in college.The first thing he needs to prove is that he can go into a huddle and look 10 players...10 elite athlete grown men.....in the eyes and lead them. It could take 6 months just to get his footwork right in order to hand the ball off consistently from under center. That is just to hand the ball off....and he has fumbled 27 times in his college career? Talk about risk....if you draft a QB No.1 overall and 2017 is his best chance to overtake Mike Glennon as starter then you know yoy have screwed up.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

First of all, it’s well known that Mariota and his center regularly practiced hand-offs after practice. But that’s irrelevant. Hear from Mariota himself what offense they ran. How you read will be an adjustment, but not as much of one as you make it out to be.http://pac-12.com/videos/under-center-rick-neuheisel-oregons-marcus-mariota

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, when are people, especially the press, going to do their homework? Here's just one fine link that explains Koetter's core offensive scheme. He is adaptable to his talent, which he had to do at times in Atlanta, especially when their OL sucked at times.http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/6/8/5777732/falcons-four-verticals-offenseNow go watch the Under Center show (Rick Neuhiesel) where he had Mariota on. Guess which offense they talk about. Some of you can say what you want, but Koetter's core offense, which he did, in fact, run in Atlanta, is the core that Mariota ran. Yes, they do more zone reads in Oregon, and Koetter had Ryan do more under center stuff, but where the QB is when the ball is snapped is irrelevant. Many NFL offenses spend as much or more time in the shotgun these days. You still need to read the defense, and the receivers need to make the correct cuts. If they do, someones open. Of course, the QB has to also be vertical still, and not horizontal from a sack, but that's another issue.FSU's scheme has some similar traits, but it's different and requires their QB to correctly read the defense pre-snap, something Winston is good at doing. But Winston also has a habit of forcing the ball even when his guys are covered well, which could either indicate that he failed to correctly read, or his guys were just all well covered, and he's trying to play hero.Bottom line is this: If they run Koetter's offense here, then Mariota is more day one ready for this offense than Winston. Same would be the case if he went to the Eagles. Winston would be more day one ready in a lot of other teams. Of course, I say "day one ready" with a grain of salt because neither is going to be truly ready and we really don't know which one will come up to speed faster. Mariota learns and applies incredibly quickly. Just look at his freshman games and you can see he already understood the core concepts in the offense. I really don't know what else to say to some of you, including the PR guys who clearly have an unhealthy love for Winston. But if Lovie wants to run Koetter's scheme, he's going to prefer Mariota. Period.In the end, I still highly doubt that a guy that has drawn so much negatively publicity nation wide (rightly or wrongly doesn't matter) will be the pick that this fan starved organization will want to go to. If they want to draw the most fans, while turning off the fewest, and thereby fill the stadium faster (they have to win to keep it filled), then Mariota is a sure bet. And I really doubt the Glazers want all that negative publicity that Winston WILL bring.

Dude you are trippin'.Mariota ran a no huddle read option spread offense in college.The first thing he needs to prove is that he can go into a huddle and look 10 players...10 elite athlete grown men.....in the eyes and lead them. It could take 6 months just to get his footwork right in order to hand the ball off consistently from under center. That is just to hand the ball off....and he has fumbled 27 times in his college career? Talk about risk....if you draft a QB No.1 overall and 2017 is his best chance to overtake Mike Glennon as starter then you know yoy have screwed up.

Indeed he is on some sort of acid trip as he spouts off such nonsense totally contrary to every NFL analyst about Mariota and the Oregon offense.I bet he doesn't even know that Koetter has never run an Oregon type offense ever. He was at Oregon long before that offense was put in.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not talking about the option stuff. That’s what the Ducks mainly ran before Helfrich was brought in. They added Koetter’s stuff which you could have seen running with the Falcons, in limited amounts (more so last year) and with the Eagles.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Could you give us a link to or a source for this information or is this just your opinion of what happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373Note the complete lack of any comments MADE by Lovie Smith.  Have you ever once seen an NFL team acquire a (considered), "franchise QB" and have the coach no where to be seen or heard from on the day of the acquisition?  Yeah, me too... ONCE.  This one.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.