Viewing 80 reply threads

• Author

• Ft Myers Buc Fan

Participant

@NFLSTROUD: Former #Bears safety Major Wright has tweeted he is headed to the Bucs.m.twitter.com/NFLSTROUD

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@RapSheet: Major Wright is visiting the #Bucs tonight and tomorrow, source confirms. what he tweeted. They’ll try to sign him before he leaves.@NFLSTROUD: Wright tweets: "Blessed and grateful to finally get this journey started. It's going to be great to see familiar old faces in Tampa.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whoa! Bucs suddenly have some good depth at safety. Probably a good idea given Dashon’s history with the commissioner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whoa! Bucs suddenly have some good depth at safety. Probably a good idea given Dashon's history with the commissioner.

Agreed. Licht and Lovie really addressing the depth issue that haunted this team for years

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depth, Depth, Depth. That’s the ticket.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love this. Hope it happens.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love this. Hope it happens.

I agree.  Now if they will add that player in your sig I will be VERY happy!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still think there will be some ‘fat trimming’. Possibly both our kickers to sign some more depth guys. That would be ideal. I know Bart is super but depth has plagued this team for several years. We would miss Barth but on balance, for me, depth at all positions wins out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rusty:  You are right, depth is very important.But we lost the first 2 games last year because we did not have an accurate kicker.Our kicker missed late in both games.  If made we would have won both games

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rusty:  You are right, depth is very important.But we lost the first 2 games last year because we did not have an accurate kicker.Our kicker missed late in both games.  If made we would have won both games

Agreed...but Koenen definitely needs to be shown the door.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Importance of FG kickers are going to go way up in a few years if the NFL decides to move the PAT to the 20. They are going to experiment with that in the pre-season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Has major wright evolved to a fs or is he still more of a strong?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Foster, Clayborn, Martin, Barth….why do I keep reading about how we need to replace our good players?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

trade in works for Goldson?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wright is depth. And nobody is taking on Goldson and his $9M/yr contract. Wouldn’t save us any money even if someone did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now there’s some real dollars!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I you ain’t a Gator ….you’re Gator bait !!!riceout.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

crown us!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wright was pretty darn good under Lovie, I hope we sign him. If one of the other two were to get hurt, we would have a very capable back-up. I’m a fan of it. Bears South!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like it. Very solid young player, the enforcer type. He could fill in nicely if a starter goes down. Last year Barron went down for a game and you could really see the drop off.There will be some packages for him, Lovie will know how to use him perfectly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Plus, they need to have a good replacement when Goldson misses multiple games to suspension for illegal hits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great pickup.I see I have gotten into someones head.  Sorry that your idea was dumb Santana.Learn a new scale.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great pickup.I see I have gotten into someones head.  Sorry that your idea was dumb Santana.Learn a new scale.

Lol says the clown, whatever makes you feel better. You're a joke, it's there for everybody to read.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

would be great at special teams also

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol says the clown, whatever makes you feel better. You're a joke, it's there for everybody to read.

Boid loses.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His agent says he’ll be visiting tomorrow (Wdnesday)…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His agent says he'll be visiting tomorrow (Wdnesday)...

I read via teamstream the visit was Tuesday & will continue on Wednesday. & that the bucs will likely try to sign him before he can leave.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Absolutely no one would have looked good playing next to Chris Conte next year. Great signing. Allows us to really mix and match packages. Hell, who is to say we won’t run more 3 safety set than 3 linebacker ones?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Major Wright would be a very nice pickup. Lovie uses some 3 safety packages in every game so the 3rd safety is going to get some 10-16 important plays in every game. Depth. Love it. Hope it happens.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Major Wright would be a very nice pickup. Lovie uses some 3 safety packages in every game so the 3rd safety is going to get some 10-16 important plays in every game. Depth. Love it. Hope it happens.

3rd down scenario:Nickel package:Barron moved into box with David at LBer.McCoy, Johnson, Clayborn and Kalil Mack rushing the passerTandy and Wright deep.Goldson serving Gatorade on the sideline.Goldson is a goner after this year. Unless he does a 180 and plays at a pro bowl level he isn't worth half of his contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looking at what’s gone down since Lovie has brought the Licht, I’m sure Goldston knows…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson is not a bad player. If he can bring his hits down, he is a valid starter. He could easily end up restructuring next year, to a reasonable contract, and remain a Buc for several years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson was a great player. If it were 2002.Unfortunately, the rampant stupid that went through his head cost the team many many times.  He was a turd in the punchbowl at times.  Not his fault the NFL changed the rules on him.  All the ridiculous lawsuits are to blame.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well he has hired a tackling coach to tweak his game this offseason and he has a real coaching staff to help him when camp starts up. Maybe he can adjust. I agree he is likely gone in 2015. Especially since he'll be 30....but you never know. If he tweaks his game and plays really well in Lovie's scheme this year, he could end up taking a much smaller contract and stick around for awhile. I wanna see what he looks like under Lovie and Frazier, two of the best secondary coaches in the biz, before I completely write him off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well he has hired a tackling coach to tweak his game this offseason and he has a real coaching staff to help him when camp starts up. Maybe he can adjust. I agree he is likely gone in 2015. Especially since he'll be 30....but you never know. If he tweaks his game and plays really well in Lovie's scheme this year, he could end up taking a much smaller contract and stick around for awhile. I wanna see what he looks like under Lovie and Frazier, two of the best secondary coaches in the biz, before I completely write him off.

The NFL has ruthlessly and sometimes unfairly zeroed in on The Hawk.  Taken his money by the clutch.  He isn't taking a pay cut.He has a permanent X on his back, and he knows it, we know it, and the Refs know it.  His game will have to change drastically, and asking a man who is that old and been playing the same "Kill Em All" games is going to find it very hard to suddenly gear down, and do things in a less explosive manner.  Him hiring a tackling coach at this point is either a gimmick to call the dogs off a little, and/or a way to try and learn a new trick.  He wasn't the best at coverage, so that is another element to consider.Vastly overpaid.Game doesn't translate as effectively anymore.Isn't a great coverage safety.It is another shame, because I think the NFL ruined his career myself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson was garbage last year. By all accounts he made very little impact on this defense. Can scheme help him? Sure. Can he lower his target and be more effective? No, he can get called for fewer penalties but lower his “hit zone” isn’t going to make him any better in coverage. The fact that we’re likely going to sign Major Wright should say something about the Lovie feels about him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The deathnail for Goldson is when Grimm Reaper decided that he was his new favorite safety and changed his name to Goldson Ages . If that moron champions you , you are finished.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson was garbage last year. By all accounts he made very little impact on this defense. Can scheme help him? Sure. Can he lower his target and be more effective? No, he can get called for fewer penalties but lower his "hit zone" isn't going to make him any better in coverage. The fact that we're likely going to sign Major Wright should say something about the Lovie feels about him.

I think Goldson is most likely goner after this season....but imo, Major Wright is much more about improving our safety depth over guys like Tandy and McCray....than it is about replacing Goldson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with JD on this. Goldson isn’t a bad player, but the penalties messed with his head last season and he’s being pro-active about changing. Defensive backs need to play with confidence and he clearly didn’t have it last season.This is a new year and a new coaching staff, I think we all should reserve judgment on the player until the season begins. Training camp will sort things out and the best 11 are going to play and I'm fine with that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if Goldson cleans up his tackling, he still can’t cover worth a damn and is really just a worse double for Barron as a box guy.  That’s the big problem; we have no true FS.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I haven’t followed Wright too much in the NFL, but in college he was a big hitter with questionable cover ability.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he was actually pretty good in coverage in college, and a big hitter. The knocks on him where his angles and tackling. I remember reading that he was more of a man cover safety, than as zone guy because he had the athleticism, size, and coverage ability to stick with guys deep….but he lacked the instincts to sit in zone and react quick enough to make the play. I’m not sure what he did in Chicago for the last four years. I haven’t watched him much. Looking at his stats though, he averages 3 Ints, 70 tackles, 6 passes defended per season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson, VJax, Nicks, Koenen, Barth, Williams are all suspect next year. My theory is that L&L trimmed the fat this year and plugged as many gaps/holes that they could with the FA signings, focusing mainly on depth and getting rid of past mistakes for a 4-12 record. I believe this years draft will be focused on the players I named earlier, so that this year they can coach them up and next year get rid of $20 to $30 million more of cap space and in 2015 have all of their picks and sign some more ‘value’ free agents. It appears that L&L have a plan and they are executing it. Let’s hope it translates to WINS.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would Barth be in jeopardy? He was money before he was injured. He’ll likely return to form this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep Barth . Cut Koenen

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep Barth . Cut Koenen

Precisely.Lovie digs special teams.  And Koenen stinks, and is overpaid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get it done, L&L!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Zero valid reasons to even mention cutting barth. Just another example of our fans wanting to get rid of the good players we do have. Smh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Zero valid reasons to even mention cutting barth. Just another example of our fans wanting to get rid of the good players we do have. Smh.

Jdouble, respectively, I think you might be missing my point. I hope all the players I mentioned, actually stay, except Koenen and are VERY productive, as they are all good players. Barth has been lights out and we need that accuracy to win, as evidenced by the Lindell disaster. That said, I think EVERYONE, save the McCoys, Davids, etc are being or will be evaluated on the following criteria:AgeSalaryBonusGuaranteed moneyWhen can they be off the booksInjury history and current statusCharacterCommunity involvementLeadership/Locker room presenceProductionSkill set for current systemSpecial teams abilityIntelligenceTrade valueCurrent player behind him who can take his placeFree agents/draft picks available to take his placeOverall valueLovie guy vs Raheem/Schiano guySo in summary, I think that L&L are not done this year or next on the facelift of the Bucs. JMHO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And NOTE; the major FAs we’ve signed all had peak seasons in 2013. Some will disagree on Johnson’s fewer sacks, but I think he was a major disruptor in opposing backfields, but others were getting sacks after he flushed them… That’s why I see him and McCoy as a great double-team…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depth is a Good Thing! We havent had this under the previous regimes. I have loved everything Lovie & Licht have done so far. Licht has been able to upgrade and bring in solid depth at a number of positions by playing the CAP and Contracts that Dominick signed whether they were good deals previously or not they have allowed us to remake the team very quickly and allow Lovie & Licht to put their mark on the current roster rapidly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@ScottSBucs:FA safety Major Wright did indeed visit One Buc today. His visit just ended a short while ago. Nothing further to report.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@ScottSBucs:FA safety Major Wright did indeed visit One Buc today. His visit just ended a short while ago. Nothing further to report.

Low balled him with our offer, 2 years $ 2 Mill, no guaranteed money?? ???Just a guess no sources, but me. We want him but at our number.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

smh at the folks calling for Wright to replace Goldson. The grass isn’t always greener. I don't care if you like PFF's ratings or not, Wright was at the bottom of their FA safeties list with a -27.4 rating.Whether you agree with PFF's system for grading is irrelevant when the score is that low. He just didn't look good. Additionally, I live in Chicago and people here were happy to see him go. Our only hope is that Lovie can resurrect his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ouch! Unknown source, so take it with a grain of salt….but damn.NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  10m#buccaneers Source, 'We've got 2 box safeties in a passing league. Passed on Kuechly for Barron. Thank God took Lavonte. Barron's Not Good.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  7m#buccaneers Source Ctd, 'A shame the previous regime used Amount resources at Safety because if not, Gil {Byrd} would've gotten us Jairus.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  2mBucs Source, 'We'll maximize Gerald McCoy. Last yr schemed stunts bc lacked edge rush. Marginalized premier 3-Tech b/c Clayborn has 0 bore.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  51mIf Sammy Watkins falls beyond 5th overall- Buccaneers would select Mike Evans & position Vikings ideally trade down. Same for Jake MatthewsNFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  45m@Bucsfan8251 Tampa prefers Mike Evans to Sammy Watkins. With V-Jax would have 'Twin Towers'. Watkins in TB off the field is a concern

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Complete BS. No one with any sort of real insider knowledge and pull in the organization gives up that much to the media. Thats basically our entire draft strategy leaked to some 2nd rate Twitter hack? Yeah right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doloris Stan is mad!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would I be mad Vanilla Jdud. It’d be like getting mad over an Incarcerated Bob report.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we take Evans over Watkins, I will not be a happy camper to say the least.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ouch! Unknown source, so take it with a grain of salt....but damn.NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  10m#buccaneers Source, 'We've got 2 box safeties in a passing league. Passed on Kuechly for Barron. Thank God took Lavonte. Barron's Not Good.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  7m#buccaneers Source Ctd, 'A shame the previous regime used Amount resources at Safety because if not, Gil {Byrd} would've gotten us Jairus.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  2mBucs Source, 'We'll maximize Gerald McCoy. Last yr schemed stunts bc lacked edge rush. Marginalized premier 3-Tech b/c Clayborn has 0 bore.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  51mIf Sammy Watkins falls beyond 5th overall- Buccaneers would select Mike Evans & position Vikings ideally trade down. Same for Jake MatthewsNFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  45m@Bucsfan8251 Tampa prefers Mike Evans to Sammy Watkins. With V-Jax would have 'Twin Towers'. Watkins in TB off the field is a concern

Makes a lot of sense, actually. I wanted Byrd enough to pay for him now just to get a REAL FS, then likely drop Goldson next year, due to age AND salary. Unless a very good FS comes our way next season or one of these 2 can really play FS for Lovie, we’ll regret passing on Jairus. Then Jairus goes to our arch-rival Saints; big OUCH…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ouch! Unknown source, so take it with a grain of salt....but damn.NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  10m#buccaneers Source, 'We've got 2 box safeties in a passing league. Passed on Kuechly for Barron. Thank God took Lavonte. Barron's Not Good.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  7m#buccaneers Source Ctd, 'A shame the previous regime used Amount resources at Safety because if not, Gil {Byrd} would've gotten us Jairus.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  2mBucs Source, 'We'll maximize Gerald McCoy. Last yr schemed stunts bc lacked edge rush. Marginalized premier 3-Tech b/c Clayborn has 0 bore.'NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  51mIf Sammy Watkins falls beyond 5th overall- Buccaneers would select Mike Evans & position Vikings ideally trade down. Same for Jake MatthewsNFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  45m@Bucsfan8251 Tampa prefers Mike Evans to Sammy Watkins. With V-Jax would have 'Twin Towers'. Watkins in TB off the field is a concern

Interesting to say the least. Still have over a month left.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So…  He left without a contract…Is it an agent thing?  Or....?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Byrd is going to have a really good season, his cap #’s are extremely high after this season thoLife after Revis I'm not a big fan of over paying for DB's unless of course it's a guy like Earl ThomasI like what Lovie's doing, a premium on pass rush and guys like Verner in the secondary

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ouch! Unknown source, so take it with a grain of salt....but damn.NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  51mIf Sammy Watkins falls beyond 5th overall- Buccaneers would select Mike Evans & position Vikings ideally trade down. Same for Jake Matthews

I honestly don't understand what this means.  Help please

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he’s just trying to say that if Watkins or Jake Matthews falls to us in the draft we would try to trade down w/ the Vikings (or some other team that is in the top ten) and target Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

NFL_DRAFT_Bites ?@NFLDraftBites  45m@Bucsfan8251 Tampa prefers Mike Evans to Sammy Watkins. With V-Jax would have 'Twin Towers'. Watkins in TB off the field is a concern

First I hear of this. Is this primarily due to the marijuana bust? If so thats pretty lame since he looks like a hard worker otherwise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he's just trying to say that if Watkins or Jake Matthews falls to us in the draft we would try to trade down w/ the Vikings (or some other team that is in the top ten) and target Evans.

That's what I made of it. This draft is going to be incredibly interesting!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks  7mThe more I look at the Bucs roster, the more it makes sense for them to go WR at number 7. Watkins/Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks  7mThe more I look at the Bucs roster, the more it makes sense for them to go WR at number 7. Watkins/Evans.

This is where I think the San Fran trade might come into play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Unknown source” = Red Board postEvans does make sense though. Look at Marshall and Jeffery in Chicago.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Been thinking that as well. It'll either be Manziel, Watkins, or Evans at #7. Lovie got Marshall and Jeffrey in Chicago... that turned out well.

Please wait…

• DanDid

Participant

I am scratching my head here… seems like every time I read a post it’s about cutting someone else. Goldson got here and the boards cheered (for the most part). He has a bad season and now it’s time to get rid of him. Heck! After the Jets game, people wanted to run out L. David! How about we consider the former head coach for a minute before we claim that 80% of the team is crap? You don’t get 21 billboards calling for your job by doing the right things. Don’t get me wrong, I agree that some of these guys are overpaid.Outside of a completely new staff, there are 11 new players on this team right now... that's a huge culture change. I would venture to say that this team has no identity right now. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1993497-br-nfl-1000-top-75-safeties#articles/1993497-br-nfl-1000-top-75-safeties/page/12  If you go to #24 you will see Barron... "Much like Darrelle Revis, his teammate for the 2013 season, Barron wasn’t always put in the best position to succeed by former head coach Greg Schiano."  Tandy was #35 oddly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Unknown source" = Red Board post

LMAO ....probably ....or the. Onebuc Janitor. I can guarantee someone actually in the know and with the power to make decisions didn't just leak our entire draft strategy to a Twitter hack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

something tells me….Anthony Barr will be the guy….Im not a fan of his….but a few people have him on our radarI would be happy with the Evans pick....very happy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we stay at 7 or even trade back to that 10 to 12 range…..I think we end up going DL, OL, CB, or QB. I know all the rumors and fan faves….but I don’t think we are seriously considering a WR, TE, or LB in the 1st round.

Please wait…

• DanDid

Participant

I hope it’s a smokescreen and we get a WR. I get they still have a lot of needs still, but we have got to do something about the worse ranked Off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope we can land our franchise QB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we stay at 7 or even trade back to that 10 to 12 range.....I think we end up going DL, OL, CB, or QB. I know all the rumors and fan faves....but I don't think we are seriously considering a WR, TE, or LB in the 1st round.

I've felt the same way for a while. I'll be very surprised if the first pick is for an offensive player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope we can land our franchise QB

This...  like a broken record.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still hoping for the one in a million chance that San Fran will trade up to #7 for Watkins or Evans. Would really suck to miss out on both Manziel and Donald…..but it would be worth it to have so many premier picks in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we sign Major Wright and Captain Munnerlyn and then draft HaHa Dix….we’d have the coolest secondary in the league. Major, Capt, and HaHa….sounds like a superhero team.

Please wait…

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.