Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Texas A&M coach: Johnny Manziel will be great in right system By Dan Parr      NFL.com Published May 4, 2014 at 01:33 p.m.jake-spavital_zpse8f3cb28.jpgTexas A&M hands playcalling duties, OC job to 28 year old Jake Spavital The best advice Johnny Manziel's former offensive coordinator has for the next man charged with designing a Manziel-led offense:  let Johnny Football be Johnny Football.Texas A&M offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital, who coached Manziel during his final season with the Aggies, suggested system fit (one that allows Manziel to make plays with his feet) above all else as the factor that will dictate whether Manziel is successful at the next level or not. Spavital also mentioned the Seahawks' Wilson-led offense as a good model for the former A&M star."If you get him in a good system, and the right system that works for him, I think he'll do great," Spavital told cleveland.com. "When I say that, I mean I don't think he'd be as successful being under center, 23 personnel (two running backs, three tight ends), hand the ball off, play action type of guy. Can he do it? Yes, but I think he's more kind of like what Russell Wilson did this year in Seattle, play him within a system that allows him to utilize his running ability and I think he'll succeed."Spavital obviously doesn't see a need for Manziel to completely rein in his scrambling ways as he transitions to the NFL, and the calls to let Johnny be Johnny have gathered some steam as the draft (May 8-10) approaches. The refrain is a response to one of the biggest questions about Manziel: Will he, at 5-foot-11 3/4 and 207 pounds, tone down his penchant for opening himself up to hits enough in an effort to hold up physically at the next level?Spavital, who also coached Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and Geno Smith at West Virginia, said that issue has actually never been a concern for him, saying Manziel is too smart to let it become a problem in the NFL."His durability, I've never worried about that," he said. "With his competitiveness side, his emotional side, he'd lower his head and run people over but when he'd go up against Alabama, he'd scramble and he'd either run out of bounds or he'd slide. He's smart enough to understand the level of competition he's against, and he knows he can't go an entire season trying to run over people because he won't last that long, but that's something that you don't really have to worry about with him."Johnny always likes to compare his game to Russell Wilson's, and I think that's a great one for him to pattern his game after," Spavital continued. "When he was growing up, he emulated Michael Vick. That's his thing, using his feet to keep the play alive and it's what makes him so special."Spavital also pointed to Manziel's intelligence in explaining why he thinks the prospect could adapt to playing in a version of the West Coast offense, such as the one the QB-needy Browns -- who hold the fourth overall pick -- are expected to run under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.As much as what Manziel does with his arm and feet is discussed, Spavital seems to think Manziel's mind is what could put him over the top as a pro.If Manziel plays as smartly as his former offensive coordinator thinks he will,  he won't be the same old Johnny Football, but he'll certainly have increased his chances of becoming a quality NFL quarterback.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ie; let him be a college QB because he can’t be a NFL QB. Ringing endorsement. I think Andrew Luck’s OC said something like this too, lol jk

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Translated.  No NFL QB will be able to get away with his tom-foolery unless he’s given 3 plus years on the bench and completely changes his game."..........and with the #7 pick, the franchise that has a long storied history of taking spastic QBs and turning them into all-pros, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select............."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Translated:  Relax…  You don’t need to gameplan anymore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Translated : Run away. Run far far away

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder why all those Manziel fools aren’t in this thread when a credible source comes forward and says something about JFF skills? I guess they just haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I’ll wait to see what they say.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ie; let him be a college QB because he can't be a NFL QB. Ringing endorsement. I think Andrew Luck's OC said something like this too, lol jk

If i'm not mistaken, Luck's college OC is his pro OC. Maybe that's an option.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I keep seeing even people who like Manziel saying change your offense and fit your system to him. The thing is what he does well is non-systemic. You might as well use the “get open” play from back in the days when the end zone was just past the Chevy and that crepe myrtle.  While all QBs have strengths the answer on a  QB drafted high should never be he can’t do the basics of an NFL QB and any scheme that calls for my small QB running in the NFL is a suicidal idea.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Blind Manziel lovers have been denying this concept for a long time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I keep seeing even people who like Manziel saying change your offense and fit your system to him. The thing is what he does well is non-systemic. You might as well use the "get open" play from back in the days when the end zone was just past the Chevy and that crepe myrtle.  While all QBs have strengths the answer on a  QB drafted high should never be he can't do the basics of an NFL QB and any scheme that calls for my small QB running in the NFL is a suicidal idea.

This^^^

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 more days!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’re not going to draft Johnny Football but I don’t see this article as a ringing endorsement of suck against Manziel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Change the entire offense for him…. sounds eerily like the case for Tebow…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With or without Manziel, expect movement from the QB position with Tedford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So many “translations” for a very vanilla article. He’s simply saying that a certain type of offense wouldn’t be Johnny’s best fit because it wouldn’t properly utilize his strengths. Are you not supposed to fashion your offense around the strengths of its parts? I know Schiano has been here for the past 2 years so that a foreign concept to a lot of us but come on. I’m on the Johnny train and I will readily admit that there are flaws to his game, but if you think this article highlights any of those then you’re desperately reaching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bottom line is Tedford is going to want Toby Parker to run his offense, not Allen Iverson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I noticed his Heismann OC bailed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So many "translations" for a very vanilla article. He's simply saying that a certain type of offense wouldn't be Johnny's best fit because it wouldn't properly utilize his strengths. Are you not supposed to fashion your offense around the strengths of its parts? I know Schiano has been here for the past 2 years so that a foreign concept to a lot of us but come on. I'm on the Johnny train and I will readily admit that there are flaws to his game, but if you think this article highlights any of those then you're desperately reaching.

That might be the understatement of the year. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s not that far of a reach really. If you’re talking about a top 10 or top 5 pick on QB, you should be talking about a very well polished passer. That is not JFF and the truth is you do need a special scheme to make his successful. Putting him in traditional system where he takes a snap from under center with a 5-7 step drop and reads the play out is not going to work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not that far of a reach really. If you're talking about a top 10 or top 5 pick on QB, you should be talking about a very well polished passer. That is not JFF and the truth is you do need a special scheme to make his successful. Putting him in traditional system where he takes a snap from under center with a 5-7 step drop and reads the play out is not going to work.

...and as his backup/competition in this special non-system system...TIMMY !!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Bailed" to a HC gig, you mean.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Bailed" to a HC gig, you mean.

Yes, he left for a prettier girl, doesn't really make it "bettter"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Texas Tech will hire anybody.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Texas Tech has had three Head Coaches (Mike Leach, Tommy Tuberville, and Kliff Kingsbury) since 2000.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Texas Tech has had three Head Coaches (Mike Leach, Tommy Tuberville, and Kliff Kingsbury) since 2000.

Exactly... and Bobby Knight, too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kind of redundant.We already know that manziel will not be a traditional qb, and that an OC will have to play to his strengths.But again, that model has been working for teams that have a solid defense (which, with lovie, we may soon have).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Sumlin. Before he re-uped at A&M, and before Lovie was hired, I was hoping Sumlin was the guy.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.