Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 79 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess the choice the Bucs will make will be between a very good high character kid and a very good questionable character kid.  I toss my lot with Mariota.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same here.Winston is pretty good, but something makes me think he's going to be the next rgthgee or Russell.Still, either would help this team. They are both an improvement over mccown or glennon.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I go back and forth between the 2 depending on the time of day but i can’t see Lovie taking Winston over Mariota. Good thing is we wouldn’t have to worry about Mariota hanging out in Mons, showing up late to team meeting or partying in south tampa with college kids.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same here.Winston is pretty good, but something makes me think he's going to be the next rgthgee or Russell.Still, either would help this team. They are both an improvement over mccown or glennon.

Winston while talented seriously reminds me too much of Vince Young. And that guy went from #3 drafted overall to out the league years later. His decision making was not the greatest.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I prefer Winston, because I think he’s the only one of the two that I think has the chance to be a true high end NFL starter, since he has experience running a true multi-read NFL offense.  The great thing is that if we do take Mariota he'll still be exciting as hell and he'll work hard to improve.  I think even somebody as clueless offensively as Lovie, knows that he has to tailor the offense a certain way for Mariota to succeed.  An exciting offensive product from the Bucs? I'm not even sure how I'd react.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The high character QB who also happens to be a better player. It’s a no brainer. 10/10 times you take the high character QB because those are the only guys who win in this league at that position and win consistently.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The high character QB who also happens to be a better player. It's a no brainer. 10/10 times you take the high character QB because those are the only guys who win in this league at that position and win consistently.

Big Ben says hello.Right now, Winston is the better player, IMO.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston has the better chance of being a high end pro. Mariota has the better chance to still be in the league in 6 years.

• billym

Participant

I am 50/50 on them both right now. They both have their good points and bad. So, you just have to roll the dice on one of them and hope for the best. This is assuming we pick #1, which is no lock right now. This time Sunday we could be picking 3-5.I like Winston's game, dude can read a defense, has the arm. Mariota has skills, and is squeaky clean. But he will require a young innovative OC, which we don't have right now. Maybe someone from the Oregon coaching tree would be a home run.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am 50/50 on them both right now. They both have their good points and bad. So, you just have to roll the dice on one of them and hope for the best. This is assuming we pick #1, which is no lock right now. This time Sunday we could be picking 3-5.I like Winston's game, dude can read a defense, has the arm. Mariota has skills, and is squeaky clean. But he will require a young innovative OC, which we don't have right now. Maybe someone from the Oregon coaching tree would be a home run.

did i type that?

• billym

Participant

did i type that?

I saw a Mariota interview Saturday morning. And to be honest, was not impressed. Dude was real soft spoken, almost kind of shy, low key. Zero swag.But hey, maybe he turns into a great player, we shall see.

• Anonymous

Inactive

did i type that?

I saw a Mariota interview Saturday morning. And to be honest, was not impressed. Dude was real soft spoken, almost kind of shy, low key. Zero swag.But hey, maybe he turns into a great player, we shall see.

What sort of swag does Luck have  in interviews ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya0ptViFrdo Swag is for the birds . JaMarcus had swag. Who freakin cares. Can you throw the ball ?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yesh, Swag is meaningless to me.Brees have swag? Peyton?

• billym

Participant

did i type that?

What sort of swag does Luck have  in interviews ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya0ptViFrdo Swag is for the birds . JaMarcus had swag. Who freakin cares. Can you throw the ball ?

I am a big believer in the "it factor"If it was all about measurables, 9 out of 10 drafted QB's would be franchise guys. Its the intangibles that make a QB great.  And unfortunatly, no one has found a way to measure that yet.

• Anonymous

Inactive

did i type that?

He definitely comes across as timid which is one of the major knocks against him. On the flip side, dude seems like he'd put in the work and lead by example. Tough call.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell yea, they do!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

St Dungy hath spoken……wonder how much weight he carries with Lovie?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell yea, they do!!

I was thinking the same.

• Anonymous

Inactive

St Dungy hath spoken......wonder how much weight he carries with Lovie?

Recently, Dungy appeared on the NBC Sports Network show Pro Football Live where they discussed Lovie’s decision to bench Mike Glennon, a.k.a. his quarterback of the future, for Josh McCown.“You’re not going to the playoffs, so you’ve got to play Mike Glennon,” Father Dungy said. “Find out if he is indeed the quarterback of the future and give him the opportunity to grow.” http://thepewterplank.com/2014/11/07/tony-dungy-differs-on-lovie-smith-qb-decision/

• Anonymous

Inactive

I also like both. There are a lot of trade offs between the two that has to be considered. With Winston I dont think theres a question on how good his game will translate to the NFL. Hes flat out fundamentally(besides throwin motion but who cares?) a good QB. The concern is whether he’ll be a consummate professional or out until 3am doing stupid stuff. He has also gained a lot of weight since entering FSU so Id have to wonder if theres any potential problem there. With Mariota you know your going to get a Vjax like pro, but there is more of a question mark regarding his game. Put Winston on the Bucs and itll feel really similar to the Notre Dame game for him where his Oline was not doing a great job and it was very hard fighting for a win but he ultimately did his thing and won. Put Mariota on the Bucs and it wont resemble any game hes ever played. How much does that matter is the major question. but Mariota gives you the elite mobility so if our Oline sucks as usual maybe Mariota is one of the only guys out there who wont be completely handicapped by it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell yea, they do!!

I was thinking the same.

Neither one is exciting to watch if you're looking for personality or rah rah on the field. Just like Mariota. Not much "swag" there. And I'm fine with that.I still feel more comfortable with a guy, JW, who is familiar with a pro style offense and goes through all of his reads more often than MM.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I went to the university of Hawaii from 89 to 93 I came from LA. Do not under estimate the low Key attitude of Hawaiian, Polynesians. I think the glazers Need to put an private investigator on Winston now comb thru his childhood It's a very tough decision.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Comparing Russell to Winston is a joke.  Russell was a one year wonder that took until his senior year to do anything.  Winston was arguably the best college player in the nation as a red shirt freshman and has continued his undefeated streak his sophomore year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I also like both. There are a lot of trade offs between the two that has to be considered. With Winston I dont think theres a question on how good his game will translate to the NFL. Hes flat out fundamentally(besides throwin motion but who cares?) a good QB. The concern is whether he'll be a consummate professional or out until 3am doing stupid stuff. He has also gained a lot of weight since entering FSU so Id have to wonder if theres any potential problem there.

I mentioned the same thing to MC and he said Winston is the same weight as last year. If that is true, it sure as hell doesn't look like it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well but Winston’s sophomore year is wildly unspectacular unless you think “Wins” are a QB stat which a shocking number of people do.Completion % down, ypa down, TD's waaaaaaaaay down, INT's way up. Put simply if you hadn't seen 2013, based off 2014 would you think he is a top draft pick?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Neither one is exciting to watch if you're looking for personality or rah rah on the field. Just like Mariota. Not much "swag" there. And I'm fine with that.

Major swag...but more importantly, he exudes a "follow me" aura. I love that in a QB.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALu0J1QRnJohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li2MkR0wHtQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chx1XhtG8ZE

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota has “it factor” when he steps on the field. His teammates know hes a baller who will make plays , and that they can trust him . A team will follow a great player.  Being a loudmouth has little to do with “it factor”. That is determined more by actions.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This isn’t about being a loud mouth…..it’s about exuding an “i got this” confidence. I hope like hell Mariota has it but it is a knock on him and it comes from the people that have to make the decision.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is such a coin flip that I decided the other night whoever can beat the other one will get my vote.  Quite honestly I would rather have the #2 pick in the draft and take the left overs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is such a coin flip that I decided the other night whoever can beat the other one will get my vote.  Quite honestly I would rather have the #2 pick in the draft and take the left overs.

Just say NO to sloppy seconds. I want the #1 pick and control of our own destiny. Right now, that pick would be Mariota however that could change in an hour or so.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are all kinds of warning signs when neither of the two stands out over the other one…Maybe Winston will play baseball this spring and go in the supplemental draft.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This isn't about being a loud mouth.....it's about exuding an "i got this" confidence. I hope like hell Mariota has it but it is a knock on him and it comes from the people that have to make the decision.

If you are judging him by an interview , like Peanut Gallery  , then it is about being a loudmouth.I think he does exude " I got this" on the football field.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I go back and forth between the 2 depending on the time of day but i can't see Lovie taking Winston over Mariota. Good thing is we wouldn't have to worry about Mariota hanging out in Mons, showing up late to team meeting or partying in south tampa with college kids.

To be fair, I don't recall there ever being any red flags about Freeman's character when he was coming out. In fact, I vividly remember a plethora of articles depicting him as a "first one in, last one out" kinda guy in his first two years. Then suddenly he realized this franchise isn't supposed to have a good QB and became awful skinny Freeman. But I'm with you in the sentiment that I switch between Mariota and Winston every other day.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Marcus. That Oregon offense and that meekness are football concerns, but the kid is good. I wonder if the Bucs get Marcus, what Lovie plans to do to the offense?  Oh yeah...nothing. What a waste that would be. Watching Marcus get swallowed up by horrible offensive linemen (Lovies awful at Oline evals...I liked Olin Kreutz but the guy should have been called for a false start on nearly every snap, IMO...back in the day), would be awful. He wouldn't be able to scramble as effectively because it would all be improv, and not designed runs. Lovie isn't going to runs spread, read option offense. Which is what Marcus does. Again...the scheme he played in absolutely matters. It is not to be overlooked. It made him look monstrous, because he was the ultimate QB skill wise for that style. So he tore it up as a result of that. Plus the defenses he faced were not on level of the SEC. It isn't.  I can't wait to see him play FSU. Win or lose though, it is one game. If he wins it, it won't change my mind hat I feel Crab Rape is a better fit for the Lovie led Bucs. The team has no mouthpiece. The conversations between Marcus and Lovie would be the cure for Jon Gruden (and my own) issues with sleep deprivation. Hahaha!  Wow...what a snore fest the meetings would be. Jameis brings that passion this team lacks. No fire or spirit. Both are good candidates. But the Bucs truly truly need to fire Lovie if they draft Marcus. I'm telling you, he will be wasted as a Buc under Lovie. Superstar spread offense QB with the most dim witted offensive mind with uber conservative game plans is a wasted pick.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bill Barnwell wrote a great article on the bull**** that is the &#