Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Mariota’s wild ride  Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota found out very quickly that the NFL isn't PAC-12 football. The rookie had a rollercoaster debut against the Atlanta Falcons' defense.Michael Robinson: Zach Mettenberger is a startermarcus_zpsnsyesfum.jpgMariota's debut starts poorly, ends with promise By Dan Hanzus      NFL.comPublished:  Aug. 14, 2015 at 10:01 p.m.  Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota made his pro debut Friday in Atlanta, piloting three possessions that were sometimes impressive, sometimes calamitous, but never boring.Much has been made of Mariota's interception-free training camp. That over-reported streak came to an end on the third pass of his first preseason game. Falcons linebacker Justin Durant darted into the middle of a screen formation and Mariota didn't see him, the result an interception return to inside the Titans' 10-yard line.On the third play of Tennessee's next possession, the pocket collapsed around Mariota and he lost grip of the football, a fumble that was scooped and returned 14 yards for a score by Falcons linebacker Paul Worrilow.By the time Mariota came out for Tennessee's third possession, his team was down 17-0. Mariota then led the Titans on a drive that would salvage his night, completing five consecutive passes to guide Tennessee deep into Atlanta territory. The big throw of the drive came early, when Mariota hit Harry Douglass for a 17-yard gain on third and 12. The drive was capped by a 6-yard touchdown run on a toss to Dexter McCluster.That was it for Mariota. His final line: 7-of-8 passing for 94 yards, one interception, one lost fumble and one sack. Mariota -- who rushed for over 2,000 yards at Oregon -- never fled the pocket and was credited with negative six yards rushing.The Titans will take it. Their No. 2 overall pick got out of the game healthy and with some learning experience against a full-speed NFL defense. Mariota's start couldn't have been worse, but the finish gave plenty of reason for optimism going forward.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not that surprised. He seems like a conservative check down guy, that likes to scramble. But that scrambling is not going to work in the pros. I think he had -6 yards running it. It will be interesting to see him opening day, to see how much he has progressed.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

More than anything the offensive line play was horrendous.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He threw a nice ball. Lasered that thing into some tight windows and made some nice plays. Has the potential to be one of the better QBs in this league IMO. But there is no way he is going to do it behind that line and with that kind of play calling. Excited to see how Winston compares tommorow.

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

He threw a nice ball. Lasered that thing into some tight windows and made some nice plays. Has the potential to be one of the better QBs in this league IMO. But there is no way he is going to do it behind that line and with that kind of play calling. Excited to see how Winston compares tommorow.

The Falcons 1st team defense played his first series...his second series...and was pulled after the first play of the 3rd series...He amazing started to move the offense and stop trying over the ball...after the 1st play of the 3rd series.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmmm didn’t notice that. Thanks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It must be their fault that he didn't see the LB who jumped the route and INT the ball? Let me guess? They put vaseine on the ball and that is why he fumbled too?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Falcons 1st team defense played his first series...his second series...and was pulled after the first play of the 3rd series...He amazing started to move the offense and stop trying over the ball...after the 1st play of the 3rd series.

I noticed that as well. I wonder if he would have had as much success against the Falcon's #1 defense.On the whole, this is what I noticed about the game:The Titan 1st string offense doesn't look very scary at all. It appeared to me that it was very basic and the 1st string Falcon defense was eating it up.The Titan 1st string defense looks very beatable considering the way the Atlanta 1st string offense played. At the moment, the Titan's don't look too scary of an opponent to me. I hope I get a chance to watch this team again. But they look like our team from last season so far.The Falcons' second team defense doesn't appear to be that good. Big difference between the way the 1st team played and the 2nd team. Could indicate that there isn't a lot of experienced depth behind the 1st string.The Falcon's 1st string defense DID play well. Of course, it looked like the 1st string Titan offense was playing very basic plays, so it might have looked better than it was.The Falcon's 1st string offense looks very sharp.I thought Zach Mettenberger looked pretty good. Everyone talks about trading Glennon, but if I needed a quarterback, he'd be the guy I'd be trying to get.Just some off the couch observations from last night.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless there was a complete turn around.  Atlanta’s defense is not good at all.  Those were some bad turnovers.  Either way could care less about Mariota.For me the most optimistic part of the game was that the Titan defense sucks. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The rookie had a rollercoaster debut against the Atlanta Falcons' defense.

To be honest this is pretty much what I am expecting tonight as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Falcons defense is going to be improved with Quinn.  However, the Titans o-line looked inconsistent.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

I noticed that Atlanta’s first team offense could not run the ball very well at all. Their passing game, especially Julio Jones, looked great.The Titans look very beatable on both offense and defense.

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

I noticed that as well. I wonder if he would have had as much success against the Falcon's #1 defense.On the whole, this is what I noticed about the game:The Titan 1st string offense doesn't look very scary at all. It appeared to me that it was very basic and the 1st string Falcon defense was eating it up.The Titan 1st string defense looks very beatable considering the way the Atlanta 1st string offense played. At the moment, the Titan's don't look too scary of an opponent to me. I hope I get a chance to watch this team again. But they look like our team from last season so far.The Falcons' second team defense doesn't appear to be that good. Big difference between the way the 1st team played and the 2nd team. Could indicate that there isn't a lot of experienced depth behind the 1st string.The Falcon's 1st string defense DID play well. Of course, it looked like the 1st string Titan offense was playing very basic plays, so it might have looked better than it was.The Falcon's 1st string offense looks very sharp.I thought Zach Mettenberger looked pretty good. Everyone talks about trading Glennon, but if I needed a quarterback, he'd be the guy I'd be trying to get.Just some off the couch observations from last night.

I totally agree with everything you said.The reason why Marcus was so able to not turn the ball over was probably because he was going up against an atrocious defense in practice. However, Atlanta does have a very good offense and while it won't be that easy come week 1, the Bucs should be able to score some points vs. that Titan's defense.

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

I totally agree with everything you said.The reason why Marcus was so able to not turn the ball over was probably because he was going up against an atrocious defense in practice. However, Atlanta does have a very good offense and while it won't be that easy come week 1, the Bucs should be able to score some points vs. that Titan's defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

>> The reason why Marcus was so able to not turn the ball over was probably because he was going up against an atrocious defense in practice. <<That's exactly what happened to us last season. Everyone raved about how well Josh McCown was leading the offense and how good the offense looked and then we hit Jax in the first preseason game and everyone wondered where that offense went. It wasn't because the offense was good, it was because that defense wasn't very good at the start of the season.>> I noticed that Atlanta's first team offense could not run the ball very well at all. Their passing game, especially Julio Jones, looked great. <<A number of Atlanta's running backs are injured, that's why I figured it struggled. I expect it to be better once they get some of those players back.I really am going to try to watch the Titans 3rd preseason game and see if there is any improvement, but at this point, I'm encouraged that we can definitely win the first game. Of course, that could be tempered by how the Bucs look tonight against the Vikings. If Bridgewater tears us a new one tonight ...

Please wait…

• snidley

Participant

Good post! I have made similar comments about Mariotas performance last night. The problem is that we and the media are waiting and wanting one of Marcus and Jameis to fail, I think Marcus will have success and is a talented QB but man he is in trouble with that O!! The Titans might be starring at a potential first overall pick in next years draft. I will add and mentioned yesterday, Mariota did not look good at all against the Falcons 1s. He was 2 for 2 with very easy passes completed and short routes, one was covered (best throw) but was a 3 yard out for a first down. The second pass was a 5-7 yard pass where the receiver wasn't covered. On his fumble, the reciever he was targeting was open but the LB was squating underneath the in route and had Mariota got the pass off, it would have more then likely been picked as well.... Also, the OC was playing very conservative with play calling for Marcus until the Falcons 1st team came out on his 3rd drive which happened to be his best drive. Not sure if they were scared or protecting his development.I absolutely hope that Dirk turns Jameis loose to pass as if it was a real game, let him make mistakes but let him do it as if it was live fire, no babying be play calling... Excited as hell for tonight!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It must be their fault that he didn't see the LB who jumped the route and INT the ball? Let me guess? They put vaseine on the ball and that is why he fumbled too?

And that fumble problem was one of the ongoing knocks against him while he was at Oregon. My money is on Jamis having a bigger impact, always has been, always will be until he proves me wrong.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think most of us assume, it will be Marcus vs Winston opening day.  Mett looked pretty good last night. It wouldn’t shock me if he got the start for Game 1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think its a tie right now. Neither one of them really outpaced the other.

Please wait…

• snidley

Participant

It’s the preseason!!! Hopefully Jameis will progress, I am sure he will and then we can compare the 2 during the regular season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that fumble problem was one of the ongoing knocks against him while he was at Oregon. My money is on Jamis having a bigger impact, always has been, always will be until he proves me wrong.

On that fumble, their coach in his post-game PC said a D’lineman hit Mariota’s hand when he started the throw. Not really on Mariota… And he said the INT was because the RB broke off his route when he should have kept going. Mariota was leading him with the throw…

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.