Viewing 32 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs' McCoy compares Gholston to Peppers Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer? ? Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:04pm  gholston_zps49221175.jpgBucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy saw his team add two new key contributors to the defensive line in end Michael Johnson and tackle Clinton McDonald, but he's also excited about the progress he saw at the end of last season from rookie end William Gholston. "Especially in this defense, Will is one of those rare guys, with his size and ability," McCoy said. "He has potential. He can do things he doesn't even realize he can do."Gholston, a fourth-round pick from Michigan State, had just two tackles in the Bucs' first seven games and eight in the first 11 games. But in the final month of the season, he had 22 tackles in his final five games, including 1.5 sacks against the Bills. He moved into the starting lineup for the final two games and is expected to be in the rotation at end while also moonlighting inside at tackle in some situations."I had to tell him last year: 'Hey man, you know if you try this, nobody can stop it.' Then he'd go do it and (say) 'Aw, man, you were right,'" McCoy said. "'I know I was right. I've been trying to tell you this for five weeks.'" McCoy made a flattering comparison for Gholston, saying he reminds him of former Panthers and current Packers defensive end Julius Peppers, who played for Lovie Smith with the Bears from 2010-12 and totaled 30.5 sacks. Peppers is 6-7, 287 pounds, while Gholston is 6-7 and 275, and both have the versatility to rush from outside or hold their own on the interior."I always say he looks like Julius Peppers, in his pads and how he moves when he wants to," McCoy said. "I say 'Man, you could be that guy.' Pep plays inside sometimes, plays outside. When he wants to get to the quarterback he can. He's a physical specimen, and that's Will."Gholston likely enters camp as Tampa Bay's No. 3 end, behind fourth-year pro Adrian Clayborn, who is expected to start at left end opposite Johnson. The Bucs also have former second-round pick Da'Quan Bowers, who has totaled just 20 tackles in the last two seasons, and another rookie from last season in Steven Means, who had five total tackles in limited action last year. Tampa Bay could add a pass-rusher in the draft, with some mock drafts pairing the Bucs with a defensive end as high as the second round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see the size similarities. That’s about it, right now. I do hope he continues to develop, maybe he could become that guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was one of the few players that got better, as the season progressed, last year.  I hope GMC is right!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was never physical talent with Gholston it was his work ethic. Looks like that may of finally changed and he wants to be the monster player he could be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Gholston develops we could have one heck of a D-line. Im rooting hard for the kid

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Peppers is vastly superior, physically, than Gholston is.  Peppers was agile as hell, cat-quick and explosive ( a twitch athlete ), and violent, and productive. He held his own as a basketball player.  If Willy can be a third of Peppers, I'm a happy dude.  He played well V. Buffalo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was never physical talent with Gholston it was his work ethic. Looks like that may of finally changed and he wants to be the monster player he could be.

is there a link to this? I don’t remember hearing this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

is there a link to this? I don't remember hearing this.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1737134

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why i wouldn’t draft DE.  Not because he’s the nect Peppers, but we would have too many DE’s on the roster to find out if he can be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1737134

Sounds more like that scout was questioning all incoming rookies from tough upbringing rather than just Gholston.  Never read anything negative about him coming out in regards to his work ethic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, the problem with calling out Gholston's work ethic is that he's just not that great of an athlete to say that he is coasting or not playing up to his talent.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Gholston develops we could have one heck of a D-line. Im rooting hard for the kid

Especially if we draft Aaron Donald.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why i wouldn't draft DE.  Not because he's the nect Peppers, but we would have too many DE's on the roster to find out if he can be.

This ^. We've got 3 possible guys to fill the LE spot - Clayborn, Gholston, and Bowers. That's a lot of potential. We don't need to add any more potential. Donald would make some sense, but other than that, we need a WR, G, CB, possibly QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not even close to being the athlete Peppers is or was.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

War Daddy !!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds like Bowers hype all over again, lets not crown anyone just yet

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds like Bowers hype all over again, lets not crown anyone just yet

I dont understand that comparison.  One was talked about as being the #1 overall pick.  The other was a 4th round pick that looks like he could be a viable starter with progression.  One was hype, the other is hope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

William “the force” gholston. Will be starting by midseason left end

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dont think we would draft DE early in this draft but I can see them drafting someone at DE at some point. Our depth still sucks. Bowers and Means will be fighting an uphill battle for a roster spot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The way I see it Gholston is the LDE right now because Clayborn really doesnt do well on that side. When Clayborn rushes a lot of times he turns his body as if to favor his good arm. That works on the right side but maybe not on the left. It would be difficult to keep contain on that side if he were to do this. It would create a bad angle and put him in a position of weakness. You want your LDE to actually shade his shoulders the opposite of that so he can locate the ball and make a play and keep contain. I just dont see this working. I would keep him on the right side behind MJ.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Julius Peppers looks like a hyena, crossed with a fruitbat.  Not sure why he reminds me of said animal.  He just does.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gholston reminds me of a War Daddy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Julius Peppers looks like a hyena, crossed with a fruitbat.  Not sure why he reminds me of said animal.  He just does.

Slouches and has long arms maybe?What do you think of glennon boid? What type of animal is he?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Slouches and has long arms maybe?What do you think of glennon boid? What type of animal is he?

The ballin' kind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dont think we would draft DE early in this draft but I can see them drafting someone at DE at some point. Our depth still sucks. Bowers and Means will be fighting an uphill battle for a roster spot.

I think we will draft more depth all along the DL. We've got some decent starters but other than AC/Goldson I don see any reason to like our depth at one of the other 3 spots.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we will draft more depth all along the DL. We've got some decent starters but other than AC/Goldson I don see any reason to like our depth at one of the other 3 spots.

Spence makes a decent backup at the nose tackle now that we have McDonald.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has a skin condition.  He is a hell of a player though, and I don't recall him getting in trouble at all. He is old now, but for a few years there, he was unstopable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is really funny man! Good call!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The ballin' kind.

I'd be balling too if a mccown took my job.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Aaron Morgan, part 2”*brought to you in Technicolor

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not even close to being the athlete Peppers is or was.

You are not a very patient person are you?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has a skin condition.  He is a hell of a player though, and I don't recall him getting in trouble at all. He is old now, but for a few years there, he was unstopable.

There was a reason why we hated him when he played with Carolina.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Swim move, sack. Swim move, sack.Its about all he could do, but he did it well.

Please wait…

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.