Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 42 reply threads

• Author

• blind melon

Participant

Read quite a few statements lately about the talent level in this draft be mediocre from GM’s, Personnel executives, Scouts, coaches (all of course off the record/no names attached) …The talent at the Senior bowl was below previous levels - so much so they are going to re-visit the usefulness of it going forward.Most juniors are going when first eligible now...  very few exceptions.Out of this draft Clowney appears to be THE elite talent - but still has question marks...  Who else is an elite talent?Which position is really strong in this draft in your eyes?    I could make an argument for WR (vs other positions.)Just meh...  probably a good year for an olineman?

• Anonymous

Inactive

The class of seniors is fairly shallow, but the juniors coming out are fairly deep.  I dont think they are any “cant miss” prospects in this draft, but I also see there being plenty of depth in the tiers.  For instance, I dont see a ton of drop off in talent between our 1st round pick and our 2nd round pick.  Everyone in this draft has question marks.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Flat draft… not necessarily weak.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Teams will definitely have to do their homework and bring their A game to the draft this year. The senior class isn’t as talented as you’d like but I think that’s offset by the large number of underclassmen coming out. After Clowney there is no clear cut ranking of prospects. Any list would be accurate.

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah – late first rounders and late second rounders are nearly identical over all. at least they do to me…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah - late first rounders and late second rounders are nearly identical over all. at least they do to me...

I would even expand that to late first rounders to mid-late second rounders.  Not a whole lot of drop off from the 20th pick and the 60th IMHO

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think WR is incredibly deep. Whether or not they’ll be worth anything in the end, is debatable.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea its not an amazing draft, thats for sure. Its still an interesting one because Clowney, Bridgewater, and Manziel could be game changers. If all three of them have success (which i believe they will) than it could be turn out to be a great draft for the top 3 or 5. Watkins and Mack are two guys that will immediately help a team, but then it drops off. There are definitley no Lavonte Davids in the second round, or even Clayborn/Cam Jordan at 20.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If that’s the case, maybe a trade up would be cheaper?

• Anonymous

Inactive

If that's the case, maybe a trade up would be cheaper?

no it wont be, and we cannot and should not trade up. theres nobody worth it to trade up for

• Anonymous

Inactive

Read quite a few statements lately about the talent level in this draft be mediocre from GM's, Personnel executives, Scouts, coaches (all of course off the record/no names attached) ...The talent at the Senior bowl was below previous levels - so much so they are going to re-visit the usefulness of it going forward.Most juniors are going when first eligible now...  very few exceptions.Out of this draft Clowney appears to be THE elite talent - but still has question marks...  Who else is an elite talent?Which position is really strong in this draft in your eyes?    I could make an argument for WR (vs other positions.)Just meh...  probably a good year for an olineman?

this is a very good draft actually, it just lacks Elite talent but you will get very talented players in the 4th and possibly 5th round. its VERY VERY deep so there will be guys who could be 2nd rounders most years falling all the way to the 4th quite possibly. the class this year is lacking elite talent but very big on value talent

• Anonymous

Inactive

no it wont be, and we cannot and should not trade up. theres nobody worth it to trade up for

I consider tb and manziel worthy. You don't have to, but I do.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clowney IMO

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty good draft IMO. Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles (who I don’t like, but some do) or Watkins will be available to us. That’s guaranteed.

• Anonymous

Inactive

As some have pointed out already, with the incoming underclassmen class there should be a lot of “gem” prospects to be found in the latter. You could honestly find a solid starter in the fourth round in a draft that is deep with good football players.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s quite deep – doesn’t seem to have “once in a decade” players (Clowney is probably it), but lots of talent. The Senior Bowl thing is largely a function of no-shows and injuries.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a great draft but last year was even worse.  There’s some positions with decent depth but the top talent in this class is pretty sub par.  Unfortuantely for the Bucs there only seems to be one legit top 20 DE prospect and he will be gone by our turn. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

I consider tb and manziel worthy. You don't have to, but I do.

neither of them is an Andrew Luck, Peyton manning type talent. not worth it and the Browns are hellbent on doing something stupid to get Manziel. don't get into a bidding war with a team run by idiots. we don't have the means to move up anyway. im not sacrificing 3 1sts to get a guy who isn't a sure thing

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems this is said every year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the first time its stuck out to me. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

BS ….tons of good players in this draft.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m surprised to see this title. Eveyhin i have heard is that this draft class is exceptionally deep. The only negatives are at Qb because Mariotta and others decided to stay in school. I always listen to the draft tracker podcast on nfl.com and im pretty sure charles davis picked corner as an early pick for the deepest position. Also Oline is deep and reciever. Some mocks have 7 first round wrs and 3 TEs. Thats crazy!  I disagree with anyone who says this is a weak class. Trade back and get some mid round picks to build this team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm surprised to see this title. Eveyhin i have heard is that this draft class is exceptionally deep. The only negatives are at Qb because Mariotta and others decided to stay in school. I always listen to the draft tracker podcast on nfl.com and im pretty sure charles davis picked corner as an early pick for the deepest position. Also Oline is deep and reciever. Some mocks have 7 first round wrs and 3 TEs. Thats crazy!  I disagree with anyone who says this is a weak class. Trade back and get some mid round picks to build this team.

Not a weak draft.  But still, its average or mediocre or whatever word you like to use. I don't think any QB really stands out.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm surprised to see this title. Eveyhin i have heard is that this draft class is exceptionally deep. The only negatives are at Qb because Mariotta and others decided to stay in school. I always listen to the draft tracker podcast on nfl.com and im pretty sure charles davis picked corner as an early pick for the deepest position. Also Oline is deep and reciever. Some mocks have 7 first round wrs and 3 TEs. Thats crazy!  I disagree with anyone who says this is a weak class. Trade back and get some mid round picks to build this team.

Not a weak draft.  But still, its average or mediocre or whatever word you like to use. I don't think any QB really stands out.

Good thing we don't need a QB lol

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think they're saying it's weak as in there's no talent. There's really no top end, can't miss type prospects like in years past. Aside from Clowney, who ironically is one of the best and most complete defensive prospects in a long long time, there's no other already elite like prospects. There are no Andrew Lucks, Cam Newtons, Calvin Johnsons, Joe Thomas', Trent Richardson types in this draft. That's not to say that the players in this draft won't become great NFL stars in the future though. But teams are really going to have to dig deep.And as far as the QBs who stayed, they wouldn't have made this draft class any better. Especially Mariotta. He's overrated.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good thing we don't need a QB lol

One or 2 of the QB's in this years draft could turn into a legit franchise QB down the road.  But no one really stands out. They will roll with Glennon, maybe pick up a free agent QB somewhere. With the GM already short on draft picks, I don't think they go QB at all this time.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Weak is not Mediocre.No Elite talent was the more the point. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everybody in the draft has question marks. They can be graded quite high and bust. You just never know. It’s fun to see which guys work out.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This draft doesn’t have Andrew Luck at the top of it but it is still a solid draft, especially for QB’s.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This draft doesn't have Andrew Luck at the top of it but it is still a solid draft, especially for QB's.

If you want a backup you can groom , not if you want an immediate starter. Only guy ready for that is Bridgewater - and probably Manziel , only because he is what he will always be - a scrappy fly by the seat of your pants improviser . I don't see him changing anytime soon or learning to play different.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder what people would think about this draft if there was no such thing as Andrew Luck?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder what people would think about this draft if there was no such thing as Andrew Luck?

LOL , that's what it is . Every draft sucks now that doesn't have a can't miss guy at the top like Andrew Luck .

• Anonymous

Inactive

The fact that there is no Luck prospect seems pull down the whole draft even though he is one guy for one team. We also do seem to hear this every year when the draft is weak. There are 100 flippin’ underclassmen in this draft added to the pool. Yes we had 70 leave early last year so we are still +30 talented players. The WR depth is insane, the OL depth looks good. CB looks to be strong. This is a really good group of TE’s. There are some very good OLB candidate. It isn’t strong in traditional DE’s IMHO and sadly for us. Really I even think the QB class is being beaten down compared to the Luck/Griffin class. This looks like to me that Rivers/Manning/Roth class which wasn’t viewed as all that great at the time either really.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This draft doesn't have Andrew Luck at the top of it but it is still a solid draft, especially for QB's.

If you want a backup you can groom , not if you want an immediate starter. Only guy ready for that is Bridgewater - and probably Manziel , only because he is what he will always be - a scrappy fly by the seat of your pants improviser . I don't see him changing anytime soon or learning to play different.

Agree./I guess with the lack of truly elite talent at the top, tends to devalue the top 10 picks/options.  I think most will agree, even around here, that moving out of seven and gaining more picks is the absolute most value with very few exceptions.I would look very hard at trading down out of 7 for either a couple seconds and a first next year.  Just how I see it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree./I guess with the lack of truly elite talent at the top, tends to devalue the top 10 picks/options.  I think most will agree, even around here, that moving out of seven and gaining more picks is the absolute most value with very few exceptions.I would look very hard at trading down out of 7 for either a couple seconds and a first next year.  Just how I see it.

Agreed. Problem is ; if we fans all know the value is in the middle of the round , so do the scouts and GM's . Could make trading back hard.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can cut both ways, if the talent is thin being at the end of that run might be good – in other words if teams think the difference between their last “elite” guy and the rest of the pool is big enough that make make them more desperate. Also, we are ahead of MIN so anyone who might want a QB below us (thinking Titans) will have to get ahead of MIN most likely.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just need someone with huge need for a QB to move up.I can see the Cardinals making a move with us.  Licht has burned no bridges when he left there...

• Anonymous

Inactive