Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Stephen White joins Buccaneers coaching staff as intern By Sander Philipse? May 27 2014, 4:12pmsteve_zpsb71ed100.jpgAl Messerschmidt The Tampa Bay Buccaneers bring in a former player and current analyst as a coaching intern. Stephen White will get to coach up all those players he's critiqued over the years. I missed this last week (and I'm not sure how), but it seems that Stephen White is now a coaching intern with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Joe Bucs Fan reported as much last week, but it completely escaped my attention. You'll know White from his outstanding Notebook columns for SBNation.com, his appearances on the What The Buc? radio show and his 203,000 Tweets. Then there's his seven-year NFL career, six of them with the Bucs, including one season as a starter on the 1999 Buccaneers. He ended that season by picking off Kurt Warner on the first play from scrimmage in the NFC Championship game. He's also served as a coach for the USF Bulls. White has been one of the most insightful Buccaneers analysts out there over the past four years, especially when it comes to defensive linemen. His commentary on technique, strengths and weaknesses of players has been spot on throughout: he was the first to point out Michael Bennett's promise and consistently praised Gerald McCoy. He was also a big believer in Da'Quan Bowers and William Gholston, so hopefully he can help unlock their potential. Of course, he may have a few things to explain to Adrian Clayborn, first -- including how to play tight ends, head-up. This isn't the first former Buccaneer to join Lovie Smith's coaching staff, as Hardy Nickerson is the team's linebackers coach. Being a coaching intern is only a temporary position, and it remains to be seen whether there's any room on the team for White with two defensive line coaches already in the building -- but perhaps he can impress Lovie Smith and company in the short time he'll be there. Link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good for him. 

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

His commentary on technique, strengths and weaknesses of players has been spot on throughout…He was also a big believer in Da'Quan Bowers...Talk about an incongruity.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His commentary on technique, strengths and weaknesses of players has been spot on throughout...He was also a big believer in Da'Quan Bowers...Talk about an incongruity.

Not really. Bowers' problem was never talent, it was injuries and work ethic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hes always been talking about what he would do if he could get his hands on Bowers…… now well see if he can back it up…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A coaching intern is probably watching and learning the art of coaching. I doubt he’s going to get free reign to do whatever he wants with Bowers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m sure he’s going to be given opportunities to, at the very least, give Bowers pointers. 

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“Bowers’ problem was never talent, it was injuries and work ethic.”And that's not covered under the category of "weaknesses"?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hes always been talking about what he would do if he could get his hands on Bowers...... now well see if he can back it up...

What can he do with him? Strangle him?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

too much stupidity in this thread to continue……

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always thought he would be an excellent coach. His writeups are great. I am glad to see he is getting an opportunity, and I hope he makes the most of it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good for him.

+1.I'm a fan

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Im a huge Steve White fan and the only thing that does suck about this for me is not being able to listen to or read any commentary from him about the team while he is there in that capacity.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Im a huge Steve White fan and the only thing that does suck about this for me is not being able to listen to or read any commentary from him about the team while he is there in that capacity.

Yep. I'm going to miss that as well but this is an awesome opportunity for him. Good luck coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bright guy. Good luck to him.

Please wait…

• Masterchief

Participant

Awesome! I hope it works out.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

I’m gonna lmao if Steve has to tutor linemen on dropping into coverage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ll kid of miss his extravagant breakdowns of the Bucs’ defense this year, should  he continue through the season. But, kudos to him. Maybe this could lead to new career for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My off the wall prediction for this offseason.Steve is a great success, and takes over for Lovie in 5 years.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

If Frazier runs a stunt our new intern will storm out of the building.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He said in one of his blogs that he was fine with the occasional TEX stunt, like most people would be. The problem was when the stunts were taking our DT, the guy with the elite first step, and making him go outside of the DE for some really odd, stupid reason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm gonna lmao if Steve has to tutor linemen on dropping into coverage.

Now that is funny

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll kid of miss his extravagant breakdowns of the Bucs' defense this year, should  he continue through the season. But, kudos to him. Maybe this could lead to new career for him.

He may plan on blogging still.  We will have to see how it all pans out.

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.