Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isla-vista-rampage/elliot-rodgers-isla-vista-rampage-sparks-push-gun-seizures-n117971Few states have stricter gun laws than California, but those restrictions did nothing to prevent a troubled young man’s deadly rampage in the town of Isla Vista last weekend.That grim reality, as in the case of many recent mass shootings, has reignited the debate over how to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, including those suffering from mental illness.This time, attention has turned to court orders that allow judges to prevent people who are showing signs of violent behavior from buying or keeping guns.Gun control proponents say such an order could have kept 22-year-old Elliot Rodger from killing six college students and himself near the Santa Barbara campus of the University of California last Friday. They point out that the attack followed warnings from his parents and doctors that he was emotionally unstable and showing signs of violent aggression, including a disturbing series of YouTube videos.Three of Rodger's victims were stabbed to death, and the rest died from gunshot wounds. More than a dozen others were injured.“The fact of the matter is our gun laws are so weak that when someone openly exhibits that violent behavior, they can still access guns,” said Lindsay Nichols, staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco.Read the rest of the article by clicking on the link, but the point is that the current "adjudicated" mental health standard found in most state laws makes background checks for mental illness almost meaningless, so this in an effort to enhance that by giving those closest to the person a chance to seek a RO, which places the standard much lower for mental health issue background checks and puts the action in the hands of those who should know best, while still providing due process.  NOT A PERFECT SOLUTION, but then again nothing is.  Thoughts?(note:  Illuminator, can you please post in this thread so that everyone can see that EDITED quote from me, the one where you left out the context to create a LIE?  If you will do that, I will then re-post my entire, unedited comment and you (and others) will see that a lot of people in this article agree with the UNEDITED point I made .lol)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://gma.yahoo.com/former-roommate-santa-barbara-killer-elliot-rodger-had-202120613–abc-news-topstories.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe if the kid wasn’t such an a-hole, he could have stopped himself…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why is it always, “I knew something was off about him. He always displayed weird and questionable behavior. I wish I would have said something”?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why is it always, "I knew something was off about him. He always displayed weird and questionable behavior. I wish I would have said something"?

I know and that is really the issue, who goes to a friend and says "I think you are nutz and could be dangerous" ?The RO is at least an interesting idea because the people close are the ones who know best, but Lanza's parent was buying Lanza guns

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know and that is really the issue, who goes to a friend and says "I think you are nutz and could be dangerous" ?

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

The RO is at least an interesting idea because the people close are the ones who know best,

It is interesting. I see pros and cons. But, just like existing policies, it doesn't mean jacksh*t unless it's enforced.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why is it always, "I knew something was off about him. He always displayed weird and questionable behavior. I wish I would have said something"?

I know and that is really the issue, who goes to a friend and says "I think you are nutz and could be dangerous" ?The RO is at least an interesting idea because the people close are the ones who know best, but Lanza's parent was buying Lanza guns

Are you familiar with the Baker Act?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds great and practical in theory, how it is implemented will be key here IMO.I can see Gun Control Advocates (aka Bloomberg, Chicago etc) using it to pretty much make the ownership of guns practically impossible. Then there will be a lawsuit and the baby will be washed out with the bathwater. If however it is implemented in a smart and judicious manner it could be a good tool in the armory (no pun intended).

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I could be wrong but wasn't that when the US Gov struck down the prohibition of flour?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds great and practical in theory, how it is implemented will be key here IMO.I can see Gun Control Advocates (aka Bloomberg, Chicago etc) using it to pretty much make the ownership of guns practically impossible. Then there will be a lawsuit and the baby will be washed out with the bathwater. If however it is implemented in a smart and judicious manner it could be a good tool in the armory (no pun intended).

Well said sir, well said.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yes and that is the point, people close to a  person with these kinds of issues RARELY "Baker Act" the person and yet one of the most restrictive gun laws in the country is tied to "Baker Acting"  This is a RO, like in a domestic case

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well said sir, well said.

yeah, I understand the concern and it is a valid concern as I have said any times here ("there will be an over-reaction), but in this instance I dont see how that could happen because all that is being suggested is that a family member could seek a RO and that Public Record would prevent a sale, after due process.  Now, I could see the subject of the RO running out and stocking up while waiting for due process, but again no system is perfect

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yes and that is the point, people close to a  person with these kinds of issues RARELY "Baker Act" the person and yet one of the most restrictive gun laws in the country is tied to "Baker Acting"  This is a RO, like in a domestic case

RO?  Do those work?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

RO?  Do those work?

well, in this case it is not that the RO (restraining order) has to work, its that the RO triggers the background check stop. In other words, its not that the RO says "you cannot buy a gun" and that is what CA would be relying on, its that the RO comes up in the background check, much like an "adjudication" would, and this prevents the FFL dealer fro legally selling the gun. Essentially, its just lowering the standard. Right now, in CA, the law only prevents a purchase by someone receiving "in-patient" treatment. This law would prevent anyone with a RO fro buying a gun legally and presumably a family member would be more likely to take this type of step over, say, a Baker Act committal.I am not sure humans have it in them to make this very effective because I presume most family members deal with some level of denial, but the other side of the coin is that it doesnt really impact gun owners, so what is the harm? nothing is a perfect solution.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Here you go, Vin, as requested. Post the entire quote, or not, it doesn’t change anything. The two quotes in juxtaposition like that do make you look like a fool. But that’s not why they’re in my sig. They’re there because what you don’t say is so much more revealing than anything you do say. Could it be easy to limit access to firearms for the average citizen while being near impossible to foil those wily crazy people? Of course not. You have to fill in the part you’ve become afraid to say. It’s nearly impossible to keep weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill under current laws. It is NOT difficult to limit access to firearms if you strip away the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. So, keep building your case without giving voice to these unpalatable realities. I have to say, it is one of the most elaborate dichotomies I have seen. A constant attack on the other side (The price of freedom is too high!) while maintaining a steadfast refusal to discuss or even acknowledge what your own position is. Unfortunately, as indicated by the poll on your campaign effectiveness, the strategy has been a total wash thus far. You'd think someone would at least give you a pity vote.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol at Illuminator trying to recover from his usual childish dishonesty.  Yeah, that’s not why you posted two quotes out of context …and yeah it’s what I don’t say. Dude, it would be hard for anyone to be more dishonest than that, but I bet there are plenty who would t run from their dishonesty like you do. Now, run back to your little dishonest word games ...anyway, haven't you said snout about a thousand times that you're done conversing with me and no one cares what I post?  Lol, well here you are ...still.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.gwhatchet.com/2013/01/24/family-history-gone-viral/Interesting girl... this Sierra Schwartz.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gangster_SquadHer name shows up when bad things happen.  Boston classmate.  Eyewitness in Santa Barbara.  Where's a RO when you need it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/05/local/la-me-attias-20120905Does this guy get a car?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mental illness is a tough issue for society, no doubt

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Lol at Illuminator... Lol, well here you are ...still.

You asked me to come. Can you not remember what you posted for more than a few minutes, you damned imbecile?

Illuminator, can you please post in this thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol at Illuminator... Lol, well here you are ...still.

You asked me to come. Can you not remember what you posted for more than a few minutes, you damned imbecile?

Illuminator, can you please post in this thread

Lol. I will start a thread tomorrow on Medicare, you will not post. I will start a thread tomorrow on guns, you will be right there carrying on your childish nonsense. When I get bored enough to smack you around, you'll post that Vin is a big meanie, and no one cares....that will be about the 30th time you will have repeated that cycle :-) (under 4 or 5 different accounts. Lol)

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

That’s quite the narcissistic fantasy you’ve built there. You might want to work on some reality testing techniques to prevent you from succumbing to your delusions of grandeur.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_testing

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's quite the narcissistic fantasy you've built there.

look forward to you proving its a fantasy  ... care to place a bet?  lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would you consider a person being brainwashed as having a mental disorder?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would you consider a person being brainwashed as having a mental disorder?

lol, I guess so

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah, there is plenty of “brainwashing” on both sides. btw, Eric Holder is a disgrace

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah, there is plenty of "brainwashing" on both sides. btw, Eric Holder is a disgrace

You don't say...Copy%20of%20elian_gonzalez_closet.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I doFast_and_Furious_92.jpg

Please wait…

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.