Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• Bucsfan79

Participant

I am so tired of people talking about football speed vs track speed or timed speed or whatever. If you are fast, you are fast. The problem with the overrated 40yd dash time is……..people can train for a forty, which is ridiculous in itself; but they can and it is all about the start. You can gain several tenths of a second in your total forty run with a great start.The problem with some football players like Evans and Jenkins is they may not have a great forty start because of their height (CJ is an anomaly); and who cares because football players are always on the run (rolling start in track) when the are trying to reach maximum speed on a play. That is the reason why some players are fast in a forty (because they have a great start) but slow on the field and slow forty guy can be fast on the field. Players should be giving a rolling start at the combine kinda like the max vert.....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, I see what you are saying. But most GM’s in the league are aware of game speed vs. track and field speed.  Vincent Jackson is not exactly Usain Bolt. The only exception was Old Al Davis. He didn’t give a rats azz about football instincts, if a guy ran a 4.2 or whatever, he was going to be a Raider. I don’t know if his son is any better at evaluating talent, it will be interesting to see how Carr does there.  Al used to say, his draft strategy was to draft a guy to protect his QB, and then draft a guy to destroy your QB. Not necessarily in that order.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I too have been reading the ‘ASJ and Evans are slow’ posts that go on and on about their lack of elite speed, simply yawning. NEWSFLASH: when a guy is 6’5 and weighs over 260 pounds YET he runs in the mid 4.5s, that is about as good as it gets people. Anyone recall Gronks 4.7 time? Trust me ASJ has plenty speed to be elite. As for Evans, here another case where sheer size makes anything better than good speed a freak of nature’s bonus. And Evans does have good speed, good enough to be more than effective in any case.Cant wait for bball on grass on Sundays, gonna make for some great highlights on offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Omg speed in space

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Raw speed in football isn’t that meaningful. Jeff Demps is really, really fast, but he’s also tiny. What’s meaningful is your trio of size to speed, and for being pretty big guys for their positions, both Evans and ASJ are very fast.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

plus, on first and goal from the 5, these guys could casually walk into the end zone and the defense would still be at a disadvantage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should have players wear regulation pads and stand in their position’s conventional stance prior to take off. Results might be a bit better lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ isn’t slow at all, like I have said he will be the stud of this draft. Linebackers/safeties aren’t going to be able to handle him, unless he gets hurt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should have players wear regulation pads and stand in their position's conventional stance prior to take off. Results might be a bit better lol.

Actually they should. I use to practice running my 40yd sprints from a standing start and when I ran for the Falcons they made me get in a three point.......never understood that for football?!Show me a player that is not on the OL or DL who comes out of his stance from a three point. This isn't the 1960's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Football speed.Track speed.Elusivness plays a factor in football, that stop start.  Side cuts. It is obvious that some guys play fast on tape, and run like octopi during track meets. 

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.