Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• butette

Participant

Question for the folks who have been watching Mike Evans a long time. How often do you see Mike make the tough/highlight-reel catch compared to other elite receivers? Watching Evans last year and this year, I see him making the routine to slightly difficult catches but never the really tough ones when sometimes it seems like he gives up on the play. I may just be seeing things and have not watched Evans long enough to see his elite level. Inquiring mind wants to know.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Not sure how to answer but if he continues how he plays for another 4-5 years, he’s a first ballot hall of famer

I’d take that lol

• Charles

Participant

Trending down imho…doubt he makes the hall on the 1st ballot if at all.

4 more years of 1000 yards or so barely puts outside of the top 20.

Hopkins will get to the top 20. Maybe Brown as well.

This Mike Evans HOF stuff is a joke. Please stop.

• SunnyD

Participant

If he averages 885 yards a year until he is 35 he would be Top 15 all-time in yardage combined with his 1,000 yard record. 25ish more TDs in his career to be Top 15 all-time in recieving TDs. He will be an interesting hall of fame case to follow.

• Charles

Participant

No QB after Brady leaves.

Evans isn’t making the HOF

• butette

Participant

I am not questioning whether Evans is a very good receiver or not, I think he is. I just want to ask if he makes the high. degree of difficulty catches like I see other elite receivers make. I have only started watching Evans in the last two years and I just don’t see that part of his game.

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

He used to make a bit more of those catches when Jameis was relying on him every other throw. You’d see a deep sideline catch in traffic once a week. It’s how he got the cult following. You’re just seeing him get less targets with a more accurate QB. The drop off in % of targets makes passing on Donald for him that much harder to accept as time goes on though. It was a debate back in the day. He’s obviously the best WR in franchise history.

He is still one of the TRUE old school outside #1’s who a guy like Lawrence could desperately use right now. If Evans was getting D. Adams type targets he’d be 90-1400 easily.

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Hall voters look at stats, Super Bowls, and playing on large market team (more exposure).

Pro Bowl voting is based upon highlights (i.e Kyler Murray over Brady 2020).

Evans is checking off major HOF boxes.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

He’s kind of like the Jason Whitten of WR to me. Makes pretty much zero big/amazing/memorable plays but is just quietly consistent year after year. I’ll say this about Evans: he wouldn’t be very good if he wasn’t 6’5”

• BadabingBucs

Participant

So Evans has played 7 years with 8,266 yards and 61 touchdowns for an average of 1,181 yards and 9 TDs per year

If he averages that through the age of 35, which is this year plus 7 more years, he would end up with 17,700 yards and 131 touchdowns which would put him 2nd all time behind Jerry Rice and 4th all time in TDs behind Rice, Moss, and Owens

again, he would need to stay healthy but i def think he’s on pace for hall of fame

• Boid Fink

Participant

I think he is a hall of famer. He has made some monster catches over the years, don’t listen to that jive. I recall him getting crushed more than once one the sideline, while holding on to the ball. He would get up in obvious pain, look to be done. But he would come back and play well. He is a monster.

I expect him to get a lot of production Sunday. I think he is tired of almost being a deployed decoy, and Brady will accommodate him. Evans got fairly emotional Sunday, I know it was because of a penalty call on Gronk, but I think he is chomping at the bit to get his.

Hopefully Brady is prepared (can’t say that with Arians, he doesn’t come across as a schemer at all), to deal with the defense Bill B is about to trot out there. They will be amped up and ready to make plays, they WILL be prepared for Brady.

Fingers crossed Brady gets protection. This may become a shootout. Jones may have a big game against the Bucs. First it was Danny Dimes Jones. Hopefully it won’t be Mac Attack Jones.

• Biggs3535

Participant

No QB after Brady leaves.

As a rookie, Evan had 1,000+ yards and 12 TD with Josh McCown and Mike Glennon throwing the ball. I think he’ll be OK after Brady retires, Chuck.

• RudeGuy

Participant

How we all soon forget. Here ya go.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvkKGgqkIE

• kenntak

Participant

Any receiver that set the NFL record for most consecutive 1000 yard seasons since his first start can’t be that bad. :)

• Boid Fink

Participant

His team
      Can be however.

Any receiver that set the NFL record for most consecutive 1000 yard seasons since his first start can’t be that bad. :)

• SwarmingDefense

Participant

To the OP, this is a great question that I have asked myself so many times.

And while Evans has made some crazy catches over the years, he doesn’t do it consistently like other elite receivers.

He has good but not great hands and while he uses his body well, he struggles with physical defenders. (Lattimore for example). He almost comes down with so many but just can’t corral them.

Godwin’s ability to make crazy catches only more skews the narrative that Evans just makes the easy catches. Godwin has always made circus catches since he was a rookie. His adjustment to the ball and glue like hands before the injury were insane. It was like Godwin was the perfect WR for Winston, who routinely missed on ball placement and threw behind receivers. (Check out the Winston CG12 highlights)

How many diving sprawling catches has CG made? Millions… It almost looks like Evans doesn’t try as hard as Godwin, but really he just doesn’t have the same body control. Evans does well at catching balls low or sliding catches, another product of bad ball placement by Winston.

If Evans stays healthy he will be a first ballot HOF. Brady and the Super Bowl have done a lot to put more eyes on Evans.

Evans has deceptive speed, if he and any quarterback can ever get on the same page, he will lead the league in 40+ yard touchdowns.

For some reason Brady can hit Miller within half an inch but still can’t figure out the rhythm with Evans on deep balls

• buc-in-out

Participant

Mike is so good he makes hard grabs look easy. Sure he has the occasional drop here and there, but he’s a jump ball machine, he goes over the middle, and he’s a deep threat at 6’5.

Mike’s made the craziest catch I’ve ever seen: 2016 TNF in our color rush jerseys, one handed catch toe tap before getting crushed by Keanu Neal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvkKGgqkIE

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by buc-in-out.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.