Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

Let’s hope Mike improves in this area. Second worst YAC in the NFL with 1.62 yards, only old man Jason Witten was worse. Cmon Mike! You’re a talented WR but stop looking for a place to fall after the catch.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/05/22/bucs-mike-evans-yards-after-catch-must-improve-in-2018/

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or c’mon Winston, put it somewhere that allows him to run with it.

• RudeGuy

Participant

Schianoismyhero
      May 23, 18 at 8:31 pm #1085221
      Or c’mon Winston, put it somewhere that allows him to run with it.

Exactly!

• yuccaneers

Participant

Evans has never relied on YAC or been a receiver throughout his brief career to be a run after catch type of receiver. He’s typically been in the bottom 3rd of the league among receivers in YAC, since entering the NFL. And over the past two seasons has gotten worse.

Percentage of YAC based on overall receiving yards for Evans.

2017: 11.4%
      2016: 12.7%
      2015: 20.3%
      2014: 17.2%

His four year average: 15.5%

Looking at 2017 for receivers who amassed a least 500 receiving yards. On average 21.6% of their receiving yards were considered YAC.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well that’s also a function of play calling. How many bubble screens have we seen him get vs how many hitch routes?

We don’t use him that way because he is a big, possession WR. I think he is a capable of more YAC but he doesn’t get a ton of plays designed for that, and when he does the throws are erratic.

• The War Daddy

Participant

Dropping straight to the ground after catching the ball will make that tough to do.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are more than one reason why this seems to be the case.

Part is play call/route tree he runs
      Part is the defense that normally has him doubled giving him very small windows, causing him to get hit quickly upon catching
      Part I think is mental for him and playing defensively out there, to me it seems he’s consciously giving up on plays and going out of bounds or falling to the ground to prevent injury and taking hits

• Ja’crispy

Participant

I love Mike Evans but his YAC has always been a problem with me. Its not the play calling or the routes that hes running. He just goes to the ground. Like a lot. If hes trying to break a tackle and fight for extra yards, then gets brought to the ground, im totally fine with that cuz thats what they are supposed to do. He doesnt even try to break tackles! C’mon mikey your 6’5 230 lbs! throw a stiff arm or run through someone! catch and run bro not catch and fall!

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Go back and watch his 2017 catches. The majority of them are contested, poorly thrown, or he’s tackled the minute he touches it.

There are a few instances where he catches one in stride and you see the YAC.

But, it’s really not part of his game anyways.

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

Not sure how he improves on that. He’s not going to get faster.

Play calling and especially ball placement could improve it, but that’s nothing Evans is going to do.

• Madman

Participant

@Ja’Crispy nailed it. @Yuc too.

He’s always looking to get down after the catch. Probably the result of being double teamed and targeted for the last few years. His YAC was twice what it is now in 2015.

‘YAC part of his game has declined through his four years. He started out with a YAC average of 2.7 as a rookie, climbed to 3.3 in 2015 and then fell to 1.8 and 1.6 the last two years.’

• Mic

Participant

I’m oK with him not running after the catch, most of his routes are in the middle of the field first down with a safety going downhill on him. If he’s able to play all 16 games I’m OK with that. He does a lot of intermediate routes

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

So many excuses! I’m sure we all watch the games. Evans is a strong man, yet he avoids contact. He DOES fall to the ground rather than even attempting to run far too often. Ball placement and play calling are issues at times, but to be 2nd worst in the NFL is pathetic. And he doesn’t even need to be great at it, but he needs to get better. He’s a very highly paid and very good possession receiver.

• BucsBay

Participant

I think the hamstring issues the first couple years have made Evans think twice before he really tries to accelerate or go to that extra gear. As productive as Evans has been, and as dominant has he can be in situations where everyone knows the ball is going his way, I really don’t have an issue with the lack of YAC. I doubt he is all of a sudden going to become Brandon Marshall from 8 years ago, but all it takes is a couple plays to really bring those YAC numbers. Anyone remember a slow Vincent Jackson getting 90 yards of YAC on one play against the Saints (and getting tackled at the goal line and us losing by 3)?

• RudeGuy

Participant

BucsBay
      May 27, 18 at 10:19 am #1085729
      I think the hamstring issues the first couple years have made Evans think twice before he really tries to accelerate or go to that extra gear.

He needs to have a chat with Alstott. Early in his career he was having hamstring issues. He began some program and he never had another issue.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.