Viewing 87 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Mike Glennon: Much More Than A Backup by Nick John    1h ago glenn_zpsa5d94634.png. Nov 24, 2013; Detroit, MITampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon during the second quarter against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports  If you’re one of those people that are going into this year’s NFL season believing that Mike Glennon is destined for a role on the bench, then you obviously haven’t been listening. Before the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buccaneers wouldn’t fully commit to Glennon. The team listened to a few trade offers and considered drafting a quarterback, but eventually decided to hold on to the young cannon after tirelessly reviewing the tape. Not only did Tampa Bay avoid taking a quarterback, but they made a statement that stopped everyone in their tracks: Mike Glennon is the Buccaneers’ quarterback of the future. The now, as we all know by now, is Josh McCown. The veteran quarterback will likely start the season as the Bucs’ signal-caller, but whether or not he finishes out the year is up to his play, and that of Glennon, who will be gunning for his spot as training camp begins. Tampa Bay values Mike Glennon, which is why they publicly labeled him the future of the franchise. It was a smart move that put more stock into a player that had a lot less going into the offseason. Now, teams around the league are beginning to covet Glennon, wondering if he could be the future of their franchise for the right price. The folks over at The Landry Hat, the Dallas Cowboys’ FanSided affiliate, openly discussed the idea of having Glennon in Dallas to backup, and eventually replace Tony Romo. Reading that post got me thinking: what would it take for a team to get Mike Glennon? The answer? Probably more than they would want to give up. Whether or not the Bucs actually believe that Glennon can lead them in the future is irrelevant. It is all about making other teams think that they believe he can. Once his reputation spreads around the league, offers for the former NC State quarterback will increase. Right now, with it being so soon after the Bucs named Mike Glennon their future quarterback, I would think that it would at least take a second round pick in 2015 to acquire him. But even with that logic, dealing Glennon seems unlikely for now. The Buccaneers turned down plenty of offers before and during the 2014 NFL Draft, and there is no way they are going to accept one now with training camp just around the corner. Very soon, we will start to learn just how good Mike Glennon can be. He will ferociously compete with Josh McCown for the team’s starting quarterback job. And even if he doesn’t win it, the team is in a great position, because they have kept his value by acting as if it was never his job in the first place; they named Josh McCown the starter the minute he signed on the dotted line. Mike Glennon is much more than this team’s backup. He is the future. He is the trick up Lovie Smith and Jason Licht’s sleeve. He is valuable, no matter what happens this preseason.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At some point this season I think Mike will be starting. Whether it’s because of performance or injury I’m not sure of. Should be interesting to see how he proposed in the pre season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After following this team for more than 30 years, the notion that our backup quarterback is desirable to any other NFL franchise is simply astounding.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haters mad .  10lbbass right again .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After following this team for more than 30 years, the notion that our backup quarterback is desirable to any other NFL franchise is simply astounding.

We've had a starter bust go on to get multiple SB rings before. It's not far fetched teams are scraping the bottom of the barrel so they want our backups.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We've had a starter bust go on to get multiple SB rings before. It's not far fetched teams are scraping the bottom of the barrel so they want our backups.

Steve Young was never a bust . We just gave up on him way too early . Sound familiar ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haters mad .  10lbbass right again .

We have no idea if Fishy is right until week 1. Nice try at trolling there DJ but you can't troll with a fish already on your line. :p

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s where you are wrong. Someone takes my bait everytime . lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young was never a bust . We just gave up on him way too early . Sound familiar ?

He was deemed a BUST for the Buc's which is why we drafted Vinny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's where you are wrong. Someone takes my bait everytime . lol

No they merely remove your trash bait with better bait and reverse the trolling direction. I'm glad you bite though. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly the point . Maybe you shouldn't be so fast to deem guys busts ....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you think for a second teams wanted Dilfer or Williams as their starter you are misguided.Steve Young sat for years behind Montana too, but the Niner's didn't pick him up because Montana was faltering or in decline.  He won as a starting QB not a clipboard caddy like the other two.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he stayed with the Buc's he would have REMAINED a BUST Jamarcus style. Maybe we should pick up Jamarcus Russell since he was a BUST with the Raider's and hasn't had a chance to prove otherwise. They gave up too fast on him so let's give him another chance. What do you say since it's your own opinion? How about when we did give a BUST another chance and it still failed? Or did you love Ryan Leaf?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he stayed with the Buc's he would have REMAINED a BUST.

'Complete BS . He'd not have won Superbowls , or made the HOF ( because his numbers wouldn't be as good ) , but he'd still have been a very good player. Much better than Vinny .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

'Complete BS . He'd not have won Superbowls , or made the HOF ( because his numbers wouldn't be as good ) , but he'd still have been a very good player. Much better than Vinny .

Nice trolling! Not even you can believe that dribble. I guess if you have to make stuff up to get responses that's what you do. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A few of us really supported Glennon, 10lb was the most vocal, I started to let the idea go as the reality of the situation was coming forward. That reality was no matter what, Lovie wanted McCown over Glennon and it wasn’t a close contest. While I’m very happy they have changed their minds on Glennon, I’m not convinced he’ll play this year. Why you ask? Well, apparently they were seriously trying to get rid of Glennon and only thought twice when other teams came forward for him. So yeah, good he’s here but I don’t see Lovie giving him the starting job unless he is head and shoulders above McCown.It is my opinion that if he is the future he should be playing now as he'll improve quicker playing that watching. If he was going to crumble under the pressure, it sure as hell would have been last year when he was thrown into the worst situation a rookie QB has seen in some time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A few of us really supported Glennon, 10lb was the most vocal, I started to let the idea go as the reality of the situation was coming forward. That reality was no matter what, Lovie wanted McCown over Glennon and it wasn't a close contest. While I'm very happy they have changed their minds on Glennon, I'm not convinced he'll play this year. Why you ask? Well, apparently they were seriously trying to get rid of Glennon and only thought twice when other teams came forward for him. So yeah, good he's here but I don't see Lovie giving him the starting job unless he is head and shoulders above McCown.It is my opinion that if he is the future he should be playing now as he'll improve quicker playing that watching. If he was going to crumble under the pressure, it sure as hell would have been last year when he was thrown into the worst situation a rookie QB has seen in some time.

I don't think it hurts Glennon to sit back and learn this season / hit the weight room . As  long as McCown is playing well I'm fine with going with him for the time being . Let the best man win .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is my opinion that if he is the future he should be playing now as he'll improve quicker playing that watching.

That's exactly what I have to say about it. If he's the future why isn't he Lovie's man from day 1. McCown could still be on the roster as a mentor.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We'll never know for sure - but personally I think he would have never learned the discipline he needed (riding the bench behind one of the greatest in Montana)  to become a quality starter in the NFL. The Bucs would have continued to put young behind a suspect offensive line with little help in the wide receiver core. He would have run around and eventually been beaten to a bloody pulp. Ray Perkins saved Young's career by losing interest in him and trading him away for a bag of doughnuts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s well documented in Young’s book that Montana did not like him and taught him nothing.He did say the competition made him better though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's well documented in Young's book that Montana did not like him and taught him nothing.He did say the competition made him better though.

It's well documented the credit for Young's turn around was from Mike Shanahan who later went on to Elway. Are you under the impression Young did it on his own so he could have done it with the Buc's?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m under the impression that Young was a supremely talented guy who was bound to be good eventually no matter what. Granted , not HOF good , but still would have been the best QB we’ve ever had.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm under the impression that Young was a supremely talented guy who was bound to be good eventually no matter what. Granted , not HOF good , but still would have been the best QB we've ever had.

Agreed. At some point good QBs rise above their situations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A few of us really supported Glennon, 10lb was the most vocal, I started to let the idea go as the reality of the situation was coming forward. That reality was no matter what, Lovie wanted McCown over Glennon and it wasn't a close contest. While I'm very happy they have changed their minds on Glennon, I'm not convinced he'll play this year. Why you ask? Well, apparently they were seriously trying to get rid of Glennon and only thought twice when other teams came forward for him. So yeah, good he's here but I don't see Lovie giving him the starting job unless he is head and shoulders above McCown.It is my opinion that if he is the future he should be playing now as he'll improve quicker playing that watching. If he was going to crumble under the pressure, it sure as hell would have been last year when he was thrown into the worst situation a rookie QB has seen in some time.

I don't think it hurts Glennon to sit back and learn this season / hit the weight room . As  long as McCown is playing well I'm fine with going with him for the time being . Let the best man win .

Agreed, I won't kick and scream if Glennon sits all year as long as McCown is playing well.However, like I said, if he's the future he will learn more playing with McCown mentoring. So if they two are very close in terms of skill and how effectively they can run this offense, Glennon should get the advantage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm under the impression that Young was a supremely talented guy who was bound to be good eventually no matter what. Granted , not HOF good , but still would have been the best QB we've ever had.

Exactly,  Young was not going to be kept down forever.  Good QB's make take a few years (Brees, Rodgers), but all eventually find their way to greatness.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sometimes, it takes better coaching than Leeman Bennett and Ray Perkins to realize that silly stats are meaningless.Passer rating: 65.5. Sack percentage: 11.6. Completion percentage: 53.7...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sometimes, it takes better coaching than Leeman Bennett and Ray Perkins to realize that silly stats are meaningless.Passer rating: 65.5. Sack percentage: 11.6. Completion percentage: 53.7...

This is so true.  Where a QB lands and who coaches that QB can have a huge effect on their success.  Respecting the offense is something only a couple of coaches have done in our team's history.  Hopefully Tedford has enough say to allow for greatness under center.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My reality is they wanted to recoup a 2nd rounder for Glennon so they could draft and develop Carr all along.They couldn't get their asking price and believed he was worth nothing less. Wisely, they decided there would be no draft day deals and called Glennon the future prior to.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My reality is they wanted to recoup a 2nd rounder for Glennon so they could draft and develop Carr all along.They couldn't get their asking price and believed he was worth nothing less. Wisely, they decided there would be no draft day deals and called Glennon the future prior to.

You listen to local sports radio, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What’s wrong with a HC promoting a qb that, a) wasn’t in his system, b) not chosen by the current HC, or c) might be worried about his future?Lovie is saying all the right things, even has lied to us a little here and there. So, by saying "glennon is the future," he's still not hurting anything, helping glennon's confidence, and generally getting that "what's going to happen to him" monkey off his back.It may all be a lie, or truth. I don't think glennon starts this season, but possibly next. Regardless, I think he will get another shot, either here or elsewhere.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly,  Young was not going to be kept down forever.  Good QB's make take a few years (Brees, Rodgers), but all eventually find their way to greatness.

Brees had to switch teams to get there just like Young.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees was excellent his last two seasons in San Diego.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was so excellent, they let him go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was so excellent, they let him go.

His high was 3,576 yards in SD and his low was 4,418 with the Saints. Even with 15 games he pulled 4,388 yards with the Saint's. He went from average to great when he changed teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah Brees wasn’t all that in San Diego .It’s why they went ahead and picked up Rivers . There was no Peyton Manning level buzz when Brees became available . He had arm strength question marks and durability question marks at the time .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees made the Pro Bowl for the Chargers in 2004 and lead them to a 12-4 record and was almost but not quite as good in 2005. The reason San Diego got rid of him was because he was pretty lousy until 2004 and was so lousy in 2003 that the Chargers got the #1 overall pick and they couldn’t put all their hopes into Brees developing with great QB options in the draft staring at them. Once they picked Rivers, he was guaranteed like $40 million and once Brees got too expensive they couldn’t afford to pay both of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Brees was as good as he was in New Orleans they would have afforded him and traded Rivers . No one knew Brees was quite this good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees posted a passer rating in 2004 higher than he did in six of his New Orleans seasons. The only difference between 2004-2005 San Diego Brees and New Orleans Brees was that Norv Turner liked to give the ball to LaDainian Tomlinson a lot so Brees didn’t get as many pass attempts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherries are in-season…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees posted a passer rating in 2004 higher than he did in six of his New Orleans seasons. The only difference between 2004-2005 San Diego Brees and New Orleans Brees was that Norv Turner liked to give the ball to LaDainian Tomlinson a lot so Brees didn't get as many pass attempts.

While I agree the SD front office made a huge evaluation error, Brees didn't really come into his own until he was with Payton.  SD is still stuck in that "we are almost good" mode while the Saints claimed eternity in the 2009 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, the only thing Payton did was have Brees pass the ball another 100 times per season. Brees was excellent in 2004. As I said, he posted a higher passer rating than he did in six of his seasons in New Orleans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This season.The author never really commits to an opinion - and for all we know neither have the Bucs.There's enough evidence to believe the Bucs didn't have the opportunity to get their QB of the future.  No reason NOT to pump up Glennon.  For what it's worth I hope he is the guy and does it for us for 10 years.This season - He won't see the field if we're winning.This season - He won't see the field if McCown stays healthy.Prognosticate away gents...  or bash each other relentlessly.    Both are equal in value to the Melon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees made the Pro Bowl for the Chargers in 2004 and lead them to a 12-4 record and was almost but not quite as good in 2005. The reason San Diego got rid of him was because he was pretty lousy until 2004 and was so lousy in 2003 that the Chargers got the #1 overall pick and they couldn't put all their hopes into Brees developing with great QB options in the draft staring at them. Once they picked Rivers, he was guaranteed like $40 million and once Brees got too expensive they couldn't afford to pay both of them.

The record was 11-4 for Brees in 2004. He only played 15 games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/3695/lovie-smith-mccown-starts-with-edgeWhat some see:

On the same day McCown agreed to a two-year deal, coach Lovie Smith was asked if the veteran was his quarterback.McCown"Yes, he is," Smith said.

Yeah, I see it, too... But, what some won't allow themselves to see:

While acknowledging there will be a competition, Smith said McCown will be the first-team quarterback the first time the team takes to the practice field. "Every position there's competition," Smith said. "We have starting rotations. Gerald McCoy is at the top of the depth chart with our starting rotation and then you have to have a certain level of play for guys to stay that way. That's the way it's always been with me. There has to be a starting spot, a starting point, a starting person to go out there first and that would be Josh."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/3695/lovie-smith-mccown-starts-with-edgeWhat some see:

On the same day McCown agreed to a two-year deal, coach Lovie Smith was asked if the veteran was his quarterback.McCown"Yes, he is," Smith said.

While acknowledging there will be a competition, Smith said McCown will be the first-team quarterback the first time the team takes to the practice field. "Every position there's competition," Smith said. "We have starting rotations. Gerald McCoy is at the top of the depth chart with our starting rotation and then you have to have a certain level of play for guys to stay that way. That's the way it's always been with me. There has to be a starting spot, a starting point, a starting person to go out there first and that would be Josh."

Such disdain for the lanky ginger that they can't see or choose not to see what is really going on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Such disdain for the lanky ginger that they can't see or choose not to see what is really going on.

And what would that be? Please do enlighten everyone on 'what is really going on'.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so . .  what you're saying is that the McCown v Glennon "competition" is like the McCoy v. Cummings "competition"? :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And what would that be? Please do enlighten everyone on 'what is really going on'.

I think Calico framed it out for your pretty nicely there Mayhem. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith believes that McCown is a late bloomer that could accomplish more towards the end of his career than at the beginning, similar to former Oakland quarterback Rich Gannon and Super Bowl champion Bucs signal caller Brad Johnson, who both found success and fame in their mid-30’s. Smith hopes that McCown can excel in his first two years in Tampa Bay to the point where he can earn another short-term contract to close out his career in four or five more years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so . .  what you're saying is that the McCown v Glennon "competition" is like the McCoy v. Cummings "competition"? :)

That would be Lovie...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Calico framed it out for your pretty nicely there Mayhem.

I just want to hear you summarize it because it's in opposition to your thoughts. You can do it. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith believes that McCown is a late bloomer that could accomplish more towards the end of his career than at the beginning, similar to former Oakland quarterback Rich Gannon and Super Bowl champion Bucs signal caller Brad Johnson, who both found success and fame in their mid-30’s. Smith hopes that McCown can excel in his first two years in Tampa Bay to the point where he can earn another short-term contract to close out his career in four or five more years.

No bouquets please .. .  well, at least no McCown bouquets . . .  please

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:
      "But as Josh will tell you, it's just a starting rotation."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh McCown wrote:
      Tomorrow is not promised

Lovie Smith wrote:
      Mike Glennon is our quarterback of the future

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:
      "But as Gerald will tell you, it's just a starting rotation."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I believe coach when he says Glennon is the qb of the future. He played very well for a rookie on a bad team last year. He’s our best option at this point. However teams are always looking to upgrade that position if you don’t have a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Those are tough to find. That doesn’t mean you stop looking but you have to have hope and ponder the thought that the guy you have can be really good for you and Glennon deserves that shot at some point. He will get that shot. I think to give up on him and just look for another guy is dumb. While putting in equal time to work with what you got and the scouts to find a solution. That’s my opinion and how I think Lovie is working it now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's what I can tell you about this.  Lovie has never said directly any of the above. This whole Rich Gannon comparison is inferred due to the fact that HE'S NEARLY THE ONLY REFERENCEABLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE FOR HOPING MCCOWN SUCCEEDS.  Brad Johnson had success prior to Tampa. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

So McCown is as entrenched at his position as McCoy?  Interdasting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's what I can tell you about this.  Lovie has never said directly any of the above. This whole Rich Gannon comparison is inferred due to the fact that HE'S NEARLY THE ONLY REFERENCEABLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE FOR HOPING MCCOWN SUCCEEDS.  Brad Johnson had success prior to Tampa.

But here's where it works, McCown had success recently. And with an offense that is very similar to the one we are going to run. It makes perfect sense. McCown is the ideal mentor for Glennon moving forward and was the best available too. Glennons best choice at this point is to learn as much as he can from McCown and make the most of his opportunities he's given. He's not going to be given the starting job. He will have to earn it and that is best case scenario for him and the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

So McCown is as entrenched at his position as McCoy?  Interdasting....and they have a place for a great cover corner...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

...and they have a place for a great cover corner...lol, think about your comment for a second.  My joke has you selectively checking Lovie's comments as truthful.  So, Lovie is liar when he says we "have a place for a great cover corner" but telling the truth when he says there is a "competition and it is "just a starting rotation." and then a liar again when he says McCown is the starter ;)  Again, no issues with the guess that Glennon might start.  if he does that would be great (so long as its after beating out a competent McCown).  I am only poking fun at the reasoning, which is pretty easy to do because its a little out of step with the current facts, when viewed fairly and in total.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

...and they have a place for a great cover corner...

lol, think about your comment for a second.  My joke has you selectively checking Lovie's comments as truthful.  So, Lovie is liar when he says we "have a place for a great cover corner" but telling the truth when he says there is a "competition and it is "just a starting rotation." and then a liar again when he says McCown is the starter ;)  Again, no issues with the guess that Glennon might start.  if he does that would be great (so long as its after beating out a competent McCown).  I am only poking fun at the reasoning, which is pretty easy to do because its a little out of step with the what I believe the current facts to be, when viewed fairly and in total.Fixed it for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol, think about your comment for a second.  My joke has you selectively checking Lovie's comments as truthful.  So, Lovie is liar when he says we "have a place for a great cover corner" but telling the truth when he says there is a "competition and it is "just a starting rotation." and then a liar again when he says McCown is the starter ;)  Again, no issues with the guess that Glennon might start.  if he does that would be great (so long as its after beating out a competent McCown).  I am only poking fun at the reasoning, which is pretty easy to do because its a little out of step with the current facts, when viewed fairly and in total.

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

lol, think about your comment for a second.  My joke has you selectively checking Lovie's comments as truthful.  So, Lovie is liar when he says we "have a place for a great cover corner" but telling the truth when he says there is a "competition and it is "just a starting rotation." and then a liar again when he says McCown is the starter ;)  Again, no issues with the guess that Glennon might start.  if he does that would be great (so long as its after beating out a competent McCown).  I am only poking fun at the reasoning, which is pretty easy to do because its a little out of step with the current facts, when viewed fairly and in total.Did I say Lovie lied?  No, in fact I think that's a strong indication of how he tells the truth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, often overlooked:

Lovie Smith wrote:

lol, think about your comment for a second.  My joke has you selectively checking Lovie's comments as truthful.  So, Lovie is liar when he says we "have a place for a great cover corner" but telling the truth when he says there is a "competition and it is "just a starting rotation." and then a liar again when he says McCown is the starter ;)  Again, no issues with the guess that Glennon might start.  if he does that would be great (so long as its after beating out a competent McCown).  I am only poking fun at the reasoning, which is pretty easy to do because its a little out of step with the current facts, when viewed fairly and in total.

Did I say Lovie lied?  No, in fact I think that's a strong indication of how he tells the truth.albeit selectively . . . which was my point.  Lies and truth are opposite sides of a coin, either way you are applying the comments selectively and inconsistently

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees made the Pro Bowl for the Chargers in 2004 and lead them to a 12-4 record and was almost but not quite as good in 2005. The reason San Diego got rid of him was because he was pretty lousy until 2004 and was so lousy in 2003 that the Chargers got the #1 overall pick and they couldn't put all their hopes into Brees developing with great QB options in the draft staring at them. Once they picked Rivers, he was guaranteed like $40 million and once Brees got too expensive they couldn't afford to pay both of them.

Get the story straight guys.They had the option to trade Rivers but didn't because Brees dislocated his shoulder.  This is very nasty injury for a QB with average arm strength and his future was unknown.Whille on the trading block, Sabin passed on him while at Miami on the advice of Dr. James Andrews even though he was desperate for a QB.  It was NOLA who took the leap of faith. Now you know the rest of the story....http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/8-years-drew-breess-recovery-still-amazes-dr-andrews/.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get the story straight guys.They had the option to trade Rivers but didn't because Brees dislocated his shoulder.  This is very nasty injury for a QB with average arm strength and his future was unknown.Whille on the trading block, Sabin passed on him while at Miami on the advice of Dr. James Andrews even though he was desperate for a QB.  It was NOLA who took the leap of faith. Now you know the rest of the story....http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/8-years-drew-breess-recovery-still-amazes-dr-andrews/.

I won't deny any of that. My main reason for getting involved in this discussion was to say Brees was really good before he went to the Saints.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No issue here with FRG or anyone else. There was a forgotten history to the Brees story which needed to be brought up that’s all.  Hell, Chucky would have taken the leap of faith too if we weren’t in such cap hell.  Bucs history may have been drastically different.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No issue here with FRG or anyone else. There was a forgotten history to the Brees story which needed to be brought up that's all.  Hell, Chucky would have taken the leap of faith too if we weren't in such cap hell.  Bucs history may have been drastically different.

Don't forget that the team already had their QB of the future in Simms.  No, seriously, he'd just had a very promising finish to his 2005 campaign and everyone thought he'd be a long-term starter.-_-

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No issue here with FRG or anyone else. There was a forgotten history to the Brees story which needed to be brought up that's all.  Hell, Chucky would have taken the leap of faith too if we weren't in such cap hell.  Bucs history may have been drastically different.

Don't forget that the team already had their QB of the future in Simms.  No, seriously, he'd just had a very promising finish to his 2005 campaign and everyone thought he'd be a long-term starter.-_-

That promising run included 10TD and 7Picks - dude was nails.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nolo contendere.  But if you don't remember everyone being all a-flutter about him, your memory's failing you.  The team went all-in on him, and it was widely considered a perfectly sensible call on their part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nolo contendere.  But if you don't remember everyone being all a-flutter about him, your memory's failing you.  The team went all-in on him, and it was widely considered a perfectly sensible call on their part.

All true from the fans view.  We all bit hard on the legacy card.  But I still believe that Chucky would have have pulled the trigger if able.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Which makes this board's feeling towards Glennon even more insane.  You finally have a rookie QB that takes care of the ball and listens to what his coach says, isn't a prima donna, has tremendous work ethic.  Yet you want to cast him aside for some journeyman QB that has never kept a starting job in this league instead of growing the QB that has shown this promise. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was only going to get better with more experience.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“Yet you want to cast him aside for some journeyman QB that has never kept a starting job in this league instead of growing the QB that has shown this promise.”Actually, I believe the plan was to develop him, not cast him aside. Cut back on the rhetoric a little and you won't look like such a psycho.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Yet you want to cast him aside for some journeyman QB that has never kept a starting job in this league instead of growing the QB that has shown this promise."Actually, I believe the plan was to develop him, not cast him aside. Cut back on the rhetoric a little and you won't look like such a psycho.

Give me an example of the last developmental QB in this league that wasn't put on extreme hold due to Favre being the starter in GB?  Either you start in the NFL from day one or you rarely if ever play. 

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Glennon already didn't start from day one, and you just shot your own argument in the ass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon already didn't start from day one, and you just shot your own argument in the ass.

Ok, my bad, but you know what I mean.  Give me another example of where a QB played early in his career, had some success, and was then benched only to come back and be improved. Looking for a long time starting QB not a one or two year flash.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On his UFL days:

Josh McCown wrote:
      It was a chance for me to continue to play, and play games. I think I’m further along now than had I sat on a roster last year and been a backup, because I played eight games. I think you’re only getting better when you’re taking reps, and so I really valued that. That’s what my agent and I were looking at going into it.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

I'm waiting for you to acknowledge my point; cut back on the rhetoric and you won't look like such an obsessed psycho.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm waiting for you to acknowledge my point; cut back on the rhetoric and you won't look like such an obsessed psycho.

What point? No rhetoric, just one man's vision into how this decision will be made.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Obsessed freaking psycho. Rabbit boiler. Jumping out from under the bed waving a knife biotch. No one tries to talk sense to you because you don't appear to possess any. This is the reputation you've created for yourself. And you've turned a lot of people against Glennon in the process. This is the reality you need to acknowledge.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ok, my bad, but you know what I mean.  Give me another example of where a QB played early in his career, had some success, and was then benched only to come back and be improved. Looking for a long time starting QB not a one or two year flash.

This is the exact point I made earlier. It's not normal for a good QB to play as a rookie then sit and come back a couple years later. If Glennon is going to be a legitimately good QB, he should be able to beat out McCown. If not, it puts him into Alex Smith territory.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Obsessed freaking psycho. Rabbit boiler. Jumping out from under the bed waving a knife biotch. No one tries to talk sense to you because you don't appear to possess any. This is the reputation you've created for yourself. And you've turned a lot of people against Glennon in the process. This is the reality you need to acknowledge.

It's an interesting note that post #666 for you contained such vitriol and nods towards witchcraft, but ...........I digress.  If I have caused you to turn on Glennon than I dont know what to tell you.  Go get some therapy or something. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the exact point I made earlier. It's not normal for a good QB to play as a rookie then sit and come back a couple years later. If Glennon is going to be a legitimately good QB, he should be able to beat out McCown. If not, it puts him into Alex Smith territory.

I'll go so far to say if not, he's not going to be our starter and we will be looking for a new one in two years or less. There is no bench time for real QBs.  Scan the league and give me any example you can come up with.  Once a QB starts, they dont get benched without getting injured unless they are deemed not ready for play in which case they rarely if ever will be.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Not witchcraft, nimrod, 'Fatal Attraction.' And I actually like Glennon and hope he develops well for us. Which is why I wish you'd shut yer freakin' piehole.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not witchcraft, nimrod, 'Fatal Attraction.' And I actually like Glennon and hope he develops well for us. Which is why I wish you'd shut yer freakin' piehole.

I don't think the Bucs care about his opinion or him turning people against Glennon. You may be giving him too much credit ;-)

Please wait…

Viewing 87 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.