Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Mike Evans responds to Jim Rome interview: 'I wasn't trying to be an idiot' By Ryan Van Bibber?May 30  2014, 7:10pmmike_zpsdadd604f.jpgBrian Blanco Tampa Bay's rookie receiver offered an explanation for a rough interview on the Jim Rome Show last week. LOS ANGELES -- Mike Evans' appearance on the Jim Rome Show last Tuesday didn't go well. For about four minutes, the Buccaneers rookie put on a clinic in brevity. After the interview, Rome hammered Evans for the receiver's series of one-word responses to the host's questions. On Friday at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere, Evans told his side of the story. "I tweaked my hamstring that day, and I was upset," Evans said. "He asked me questions that I didn't really know. I wasn't trying to be an idiot." Rome's reaction and audio of the interview made its way around the web. Evans said that he didn't follow the story after the interview. "All I heard was that he said I was a boring interview. You know, you can't make everybody happy." Questions ran the gamut of typical player interviews, including touching on the draft, making the leap to the NFL and, because Evans played at Texas A&M, a handful of the requisite Johnny Manziel inquiries. Offseason filler, and most NFL coverage this time of year isn't much more engaging than a series of brief answers. We're trying to make news, or at least something interesting, out of football practice ... spring practice where players aren't even wearing pads. And with a wink to our own self-awareness, Evans also shared a few thoughts -- in lengthier answers -- on his hamstring injury and his experience so far the Buccaneers offense. Evans injured his hamstring in a collision with cornerback Mike Jenkins during a passing drill that day, the first day of organized team activities. Jenkins had the wind knocked out him, and both left the field for the day. For Evans, it was also his first day with the veterans following rookie minicamp the previous week. "I'm good now, 100 percent," he said. Most of his time off the field so far has been spent learning the playbook, adjusting to the jump from college to the NFL. "The offense is different. It's not what I'm used to," Evans said. "There are a lot of formations. I'm going to have to be at a lot of spots. It's complicated, but I'm getting it."LINK

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rome is a dink…I remember a show he kept calling Jim Everett “chris”…Jim warned him not to and it ended in Rome being in the fetal position crying….funniest two minutes in tv

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rome is a dink...I remember a show he kept calling Jim Everett "chris"...Jim warned him not to and it ended in Rome being in the fetal position crying....funniest two minutes in tv

the only thing that would have made that interview better was for Everett to have broken Rome’s jaw and Rome having to have his mouth wired shut!!!

Please wait…

• bigbucsfan

Participant

Rome is a dink...I remember a show he kept calling Jim Everett "chris"...Jim warned him not to and it ended in Rome being in the fetal position crying....funniest two minutes in tv

the only thing that would have made that interview better was for Everett to have broken Rome's jaw and Rome having to have his mouth wired shut!!!

I've never seen a bigger wussy than Rome in that show.  He cowered like a little girl when Everett came at him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haha, people making a big deal about this interview are dumb. I want football players, not great talkers. Evans is going to ball this year across from VJax.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Rome had to work for it ….he mad .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He wasn’t even trying…how impressive is that?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IIRC, Everett flipped the table over they were sitting at?  I don't think he actually decked Rome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Stern handled him well…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bGzopJ6eo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t listen to Rome but the Everett show was a brilliant move on his part and IMO, calculated. He became a household name after that.As far as the beating your wife question? Stern came across as an ass (nothing new there) after Rome asked a question about a subject (draft lottery fixed?) that lots of fans were skeptical about.http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/david-stern-asks-jim-rome-stop-beating-wife-202222756--nba.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"The offense is different. It's not what I'm used to," Evans said. "There are a lot of formations. I'm going to have to be at a lot of spots. It's complicated, but I'm getting it."LINK

To me this is the take away from the story...The fact that very little has come out about Tedford's offense. The fact the Evans eludes that it will be an offense that relies on multiple formations, is nothing like what he is used to, that he will be moved around in it and that its complicated is the must any player or coach has referenced about the offensive scheme. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can see the team moving ASJenks, Jackson, and Evans often, creating potential mismatches that may occur as a result of an obvious mismatch.  And then when nothing develops, a quick hit to Martin/depth RB for a nice scamper.  The team will be bigger in space, and all are active blockers, so it should create a lot of opportunities for explosive safety valves.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can see the team moving ASJenks, Jackson, and Evans often, creating potential mismatches that may occur as a result of an obvious mismatch.  And then when nothing develops, a quick hit to Martin/depth RB for a nice scamper.  The team will be bigger in space, and all are active blockers, so it should create a lot of opportunities for explosive safety valves.

Same logic applies to screen plays as well, whether to a RB or WR. Heres hoping Mike Evans goes all Demaryus Thomas on opponents and takes some of them to the house.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't listen to Rome but the Everett show was a brilliant move on his part and IMO, calculated. He became a household name after that.As far as the beating your wife question? Stern came across as an ass (nothing new there) after Rome asked a question about a subject (draft lottery fixed?) that lots of fans were skeptical about.http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/david-stern-asks-jim-rome-stop-beating-wife-202222756--nba.html

Possibly the worse commish of all time. [Stern]Tagliabue [sp?] is up there too. Sure the league grew under his tutelage, but that is all that mattered to him. Back then, it was not unusual to have players getting off with a wrist slap after 10 arrest or more. The growth of the league was all he cared about. Then Goodell steps in and has the unenviable task of cleaning the league up. I am not the biggest Goodell fan, but I feel for him getting all that thrown in his lap. But that is the kind of probs you face when you pull in 44mil a year salary.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.