Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 47 reply threads

• Author

• buc-in-out

Participant

Per Jenna Laine.

That was a bad reach, one of Licht’s worst 2nd round picks by far. Good riddance!

• Anonymous

Inactive

He looked slow, didn’t have good instincts…Licht should have NEVER drafted this guy. Glad he is gone, he couldn’t cover.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lolz at Jason Licht. Solid work!

• TBChucky

Participant

Yup.. You can add him to the list of disappointments like Jameis and Aguayo..

At least Stewart wasn’t drafted #1 overall I suppose..

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup.. You can add him to the list of disappointments like Jameis and Aguayo..

At least Stewart wasn’t drafted #1 overall I suppose..

Almost as disappointing as your sister in the sack…

• Greattimes

Participant

Anyone know the salary cap savings by cutting Stewart?

• BucBalla85

Participant

Jeez the second and first round picks by licht have been awful..

• leeroybuc93

Participant

What’s crazy is that he was drafted ahead of Carlton Davis. What could they possibly have seen in Stewart that they liked more than what Davis offers?

• Anonymous

Inactive

What’s crazy is that he was drafted ahead of Carlton Davis. What could they possibly have seen in Stewart that they liked more than what Davis offers?

Injury history maybe? Great question.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Another one of JL’s second round gems.

• Nobody

Participant

Like VH3, its just addition by subtraction. He was always a bad pick. Positionless Defensive Backs that don’t possess the requisite athleticism or size/length to play on the outside and don’t possess the requisite athleticism and/or otherworldly instincts to cover and make plays on the inside just don’t have a place in the NFL.

Out of all of the questionable 2nd round picks (position players – Aguayo is obviously tops here) by the Buccaneers broadly and Jason Licht specifically, this one is up there for top of the heap. From the word go this was a pick destined to never contribute (more than hopefully making a tackle after he was beat in coverage yet again) and be out of the league in a few years.

On the bright side, Arians is showing that he is willing to cut bait with Licht’s prior picks that weren’t going to pan out; Jameis, VH3, Spence (who is basically the MJ Stewart of Edge players), Stewart, likely Justin Evans soon.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I realize Licht landed Brady and Gronk, but it sounds like Brady found him. Meaning, Brady likes the talent on this team from a WR/TE stand point, and so here we are. Not really sure how Licht still has a job.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh crap he’s back.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I realize Licht landed Brady and Gronk, but it sounds like Brady found him. Meaning, Brady likes the talent on this team from a WR/TE stand point, and so here we are. Not really sure how Licht still has a job.

Only reason he has a job is because he was Arians pick for GM and he got Brady but i feel that was more Brady just liking the weapons we have here, the weather, and the willingness to pay him top dollar.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Evans’ injury history is the only reason he outlasted Stewart. They still are hoping they can salvage that pick.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@leeroybuc93

It’s worse. We traded down from 56th when both Carlton and the CB from Colorado were available. The guy from Colorado was selected before the 63rd pick. I was sweating it until Carlton was selected.

It’s confusing to select MJ Stewart over Davis (or the Colorado kid) when we needed another outside corner.

The only reason why Stewart was picked, imo, was that we wanted to keep VH3 on the outside and needed another slot CB. This is what confused me the most. We could have simply re-signed Robert McClain.

But this draft year was the same draft year that Licht selected a run-only RB for Koetter’s vert-4 that required his RB’s to be pass catchers along with pass blocking. Both of those traits did not exist for Rojo.

Also, we needed a starting RG because Licht was going to let go of RG J.R. Sweezy. We could have traded up up for Will Hernandez or Braden Smith, but instead we waited to trade up into the bottom of the third round for Cappa. SMH.

Our GM isn’t giving us useful picks. Crazy. He really though Stewart could thrive as a slot CB as this slow speed. ::: sighs :::

• Roy

Participant

Shocking this happened so early in camp.

• Barnz1

Participant

Shocking this happened so early in camp.

I dunno, MJ sucks bad. Perhaps he showed up out of shape and that was the final straw. Or perhaps they like the look of Motely who locked up big name WR’s like Raegor and Mims.

Either way, MJ wasn’t going to make the final roster.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Anyone know the salary cap savings by cutting Stewart?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Licht is a blind squirrel… he’s found a couple nuts, but mostly he’s drafting aimlessly.

Good riddance to this scrub. Couldn’t even contribute on ST

• Roy

Participant

This also could be sending a message similar to the Hargreaves cut. If you aren’t fully on board the train you will be left at the station.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

I hated the pick very early on. He’s just ridiculously slow footed for a cb. If he had any kind of speed he would be a solid player IMO.

• tiapanda

Participant

It may not be entirely football related. There were rumors at the end of last season that Stewart had threatened a stripper and her boyfriend with a gun outside a strip club. The police were called but didn’t find a gun. He wasn’t arrested but the Bucs received the report.

• ussoldier77

Participant

I think a big reason was how he reported. If you looked over at the photos on the team website, he clearly had a different body type than all of the others in the CB, S, WR positions. He looked as if he has been on a few beers daily for the last few months instead of putting in work.

Couple that with the fact that his athleticism was not the best, it was written in the cards.

• Bootz04

Blocked

He’s trash. I don’t recall 1 good or decent play he made. Being a short, slow corner is a bad combo(sit down Vernon Hargreaves).

• Detrimental

Participant

I remember watching the draft in R2 thinking Davis was going to be our pick, hear the announcement and I go who the hell is this guy? Thankfully we took him with the next pick though.

I think Licht has a terrible draft record b/c he let Mike Smith pick his “guys”. Yes as a GM you deserve blame for not doing your own due diligence. Its clear that Licht/Arians is letting Bowles pick his rookies out here as well. I have more faith in Todd Bowles than Mike Smith though that’s for sure.

• MagicMike

Participant

You really have to remember that we had a different coaching staff at the time Stewart was selected. Stewart was the perfect pick for Mike Smith’s defense – he couldn’t run, couldn’t cover, and couldn’t tackle. Clearly not a fit for any other DC, including Todd Bowles.

Isaiah Oliver was the CB from Colorado that was referenced in one of the posts above. Coming out of college, he was a track star who could run and cover, but not much of a physical tackler. Still, he would have been a phenomenal press cover corner – something that Todd Bowles expects of his CBs. Mike Smith preferred CBs to play 10yds off from the line of scrimage, so Oliver wouldn’t have been the ideal CB for Smith’s scheme. He would be a great fit for most other defensive coordinators.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Most of us knew this was a shit pick and a reach the night he was drafted. Licht trying to be cute and outsmart the room again. Happened once with Ali Marpet and he tries to make it happen every year. Just make the obvious pick.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

If not for Arians and Brady, Licht would be doing commentary right now…

These type of picks show you just how out of touch he is with player/talent evaluation.

• Roy

Participant

And yet here we are, Firelicht, with the roster that we have. There is only one player on this roster that was not brought here by Jason Licht. That would be Lavonte David. Correct? Licht brought in every other player.

If we suck this year I’m pretty sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth blaming Jason Licht. Fair enough, he’ll deserve that criticism, and he’ll be fired.

But what if we win? Either Licht is responsible, or he’s not responsible for this team. Isn’t that fair, Mr. FireLicht 2020? You are prepared to dish out the blame. Are you prepared for dishing out credit when its due?

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

If we suck this year I’m pretty sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth blaming Jason Licht. Fair enough, he’ll deserve that criticism, and he’ll be fired.

He should’ve been fired a long time ago.

• Bootz04

Blocked

William Gholston was also here pre-Licht.

And yet here we are, Firelicht, with the roster that we have. There is only one player on this roster that was not brought here by Jason Licht. That would be Lavonte David. Correct? Licht brought in every other player.

But what if we win? Either Licht is responsible, or he’s not responsible for this team. Isn’t that fair, Mr. FireLicht 2020? You are prepared to dish out the blame. Are you prepared for dishing out credit when its due?

• Roy

Participant

OK thanks Bootz, so 2 holdovers.

• JC5100

Participant

PR wrote hit pieces on Dirk all of 2017 and 2018 while kissing Licht’s ass. They fire Dirk and SR claims “Licht has built a playoff roster” and start 2-7 with a two time Coach of the Year. Any GM list has to start with Licht #32. Losing record with 3 different HC’s, busted #1 overall pick, 0 playoff appearances in 6 years. The busted 2nd rounders are getting too many to keep track of.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

@Roy – you can’t erase all of his fuck ups for 7 years with ONE playoff appearance (huge assumption).

If he wins it all, of course I’ll gladly change my tune. Happy to be wrong, akin to Winston. I wish I was wrong but we all knew what we had there… a Licht pick when he could have robbed Kelly blind.

Licht has had INSANE draft capital. Insane.

Licht has had a blank check with FA.

He’s let good players walk like Bennett, Blount, McDougald… yet keeps scrubs like Smith…

Glad he learned to jettison his awful picks like VH3, Stewart, and I’m sure soon to be Beckwith/Evans.

So that’s great… but Licht is shit. Would love to be wrong and raise the Lombardi trophy this year. Happy to eat crow.

• JC5100

Participant

Even if the Bucs are good this year, it’s a only short term because there’s no long term plan at QB and this team is capped out with 3 of the best players un-signed for 2021.

• kenntak

Participant

Wow, that’s disappointing, but not unexpected. Many members on this board were saying it was a bad pick at the time, and watching him, you saw how slow he was, and how he lacked necessary instincts. Huge waste of a pick.

• Roy

Participant

Fire, no the past doesn’t get erased. No such eraser exists.

• Biggs3535

Participant

He’s let good players walk like Bennett, Blount

FTR, Licht had nothing to do with Bennett and Blount. That was Dominik & Schiano.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Licht a hasnt drafted a potential good QB since Jameis #1 overall. We’d better start planning for the future and draft someone this next draft that way the Packers just did.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

He’s let good players walk like Bennett, Blount

FTR, Licht had nothing to do with Bennett and Blount. That was Dominik & Schiano.

Could be wrong but fairly certain he drafted Doug Martin to force Blount out… he drafted Clayborn to force Bennett out… is my timeline off?

McDougald was def him but I swear he let the other two walk… gonna look it up

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Dammit you’re right

Blount left in 2012
      Bennett left in 2013
      Licht started in 2014

B2b awful GMs… their shit moves just blend together in my mind.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Licht has had so many second round busts, it’s not even funny. Any other team with his track record and he would already be out of a job.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

GM Licht started his draft tenure in 2014. This is his 7th season overlooking the draft for the Bucs. That’s a long time for a majority of football players, which some do not last that long either.

LVD and Gholston are holdovers from the Schiano regime, that lasted only 2 seasons. That’s it. S/LB Mark Barron, DT Akeem Spence, DE Steven Means, QB Glennon, and S Keith Tandy are still milling about. Spence and Tandy are UFA this season. RB Martin might still have some legs to some teams that might need a RB in a pinch.

Martin’s rookie season easily made us forget about Blount. Martin fits Schiano’s offense.

As for Bennett, maybe it was chemistry fits, which Schiano wanted complete buy-in. Defensively, the Bucs improved in year 2 under Schiano. But losing starting QB Freeman because he went mental after having his best NFL season under Schiano’s first year did Schiano in.

When Lovie took over, Lovie made Schiano look like a defensive genius and pondered why did we go away from Schiano? Too many people love Lovie and nostalgia to ever bash Lovie.

The patterns for Licht drafting sometime has me head scratching because Licht isn’t always cohesive with his coaches. Drafting a 3-4 OLB for a 4-3 defense is stunning. Drafting a run only RB for a vertical offense that requires RBs to pass catch and pass block is just as stunning. Trading up for a kicker in the 2nd round, welp, no one can top that.

Last year’s offense scored only one more TD than 2018’s offense. The defense and the new kicker boosted the team’s scoring. We’re still thin at several spots on our team after 7 years of drafting. No one should be happy with that.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I’m less annoyed by his whiffed 2nd round picks then I am about how much draft capital we’ve spend trying to fix the damn secondary. I understand our defense has been so bad we’ve changed schemes so often, but that’s hampered us more then anything.

No NFL team drafts 1.000, the Pats and Seahawks, 2 of the best teams of this generation have made horrendous picks, but they have had stability in coaching and systems.

• DerekPHFD

Participant

I think my biggest problem with Licht all the way around is he has been reactionary, not proactive.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good point.

I think my biggest problem with Licht all the way around is he has been reactionary, not proactive.

• Bootz04

Blocked

100% agree with you here. Whether it’s a product of being in this organization or not is another question. But his tenure has been purely made up of reactionary moves.

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.