Viewing 6 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2014 NFL Rookies: More or Less by Andrew Long May 20  2014. more_zpsdac30144.jpg May 8, 2014; New York, NY Sammy Watkins (Clemson) poses with commissioner Roger Goodell after being selected as the number four overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills at Radio City Music Hall. Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports With the 2014 NFL Draft officially in the books, I thought that it might be fun to do a “more or less” article. Basically, it’s exactly what it sounds like. I’ll grab some statistics from last year’s draft class and predict whether or not the 2014 NFL rookies will have more or less than that particular statistic. All of my statistics will come from nfl.com Let’s get things going.jff_zpsd23d15b2.jpg Last season, rookie quarterback, Geno Smith threw 21 interceptions for the New York Jets. Will Johnny Manziel throw more or less than that total in his rookie season? As of right now, Johnny Manziel isn’t even the starter for the Cleveland Browns. I don’t think that will be the case come seasons end, though. He already has the best selling rookie jersey. So we know his popularity is still booming at the next level. I think that it will be awfully hard for the coaching staff in Cleveland to ignore the noise from the fans if they lose 4 out of their first 6 games without Manziel under center. So, pretty much what i’m saying is this: I think that Johnny Manziel will be the starter in Cleveland by week 5 or 6 (if not earlier). Giving him 11 games as the starter in his rookie season (at least). I have a hard time believing that Manziel will throw 2 interceptions per game. For that reason, I’m going to go with less for this one. Johnny Manziel throws less than 21 interceptions. sammy_zpsf7167219.pngLast year, the San Diego Chargers struck gold when they drafted wide receiver Keenan Allen. The third round pick recorded 8 receiving touchdowns in his rookie campaign. Will Sammy Watkins, who was the first wide receiver selected this year, have more or less than that total? This is a tough one, mainly because EJ Manuel isn’t on quite the same level as Philip Rivers. I consider Rivers to be a top 10 quarterback. I cannot say the same thing for Manuel. Manuel threw 11 touchdowns in 10 games last season and the Buffalo Bills as a team threw 16 total. You would expect that number to go up with Watkins in the mix, though. I don’t think that it’s farfetched to believe that Manuel will throw between 20-22 touchdowns next season. It’d be a tough task for Watkins to haul in 9 of those. So i’m going with less for this one, too. Sammy Watkins has less than 8 receiving touchdowns. sammy1_zps7985b162.jpgThe Detroit Lions made Ezekiel Ansah the 5th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Ansah lead all rookies in sacks in 2013 with 8. In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders selected Khalil Mack, who is also a pass-rusher, at 5th overall. Will Mack have more or less than 8 sacks as a rookie? Khalil Mack is a supremely talented pass-rusher and I firmly believe that he has the ability to become a top-tier player in the NFL. But I don’t think that he’ll be able to surpass what Ansah did as a rookie. Ansah benefited from playing on the same defensive line as Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley. Mack won’t be afforded that luxury. I think that Mack is capable of doing it, but I don’t think that he will.With that being said, i’m saying he gets less than 8 sacks. I still think he’ll have a great rookie year, though. Khalil Mack will have less than 8 sacks as a rookie. http://nflspinzone.com/2014/05/15/2014-nfl-rookies-more-or-less/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think JFF plays enough to throw 22 picks. If he plays at al.Sammy is a great player, but not in the best situation as far as QB's go. So I don't think he gets more than 8 TD catches.Mack could be a surprise player. He could rack up some sacks in Oak town. But more than 8 could be tough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t really care about non-Bucs for this kind of nonsense.  Replace Sammy Watkins with Mike Evans and I’ll play.Less than 8 TD's for Mike Evans.I think Mike Evans will have a very good season, better than Sammy Watkins.  I predict Evans will have around 50-60 catches for about 800 yards and 5-6 TD's but the Bucs Offense has enough weapons to keep him from racking up extremely high TD totals, although he will have a couple catches where he proves to be a beast on contested catches in the end zone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really care about non-Bucs for this kind of nonsense.  Replace Sammy Watkins with Mike Evans and I'll play.Less than 8 TD's for Mike Evans.I think Mike Evans will have a very good season, better than Sammy Watkins.  I predict Evans will have around 50-60 catches for about 800 yards and 5-6 TD's but the Bucs Offense has enough weapons to keep him from racking up extremely high TD totals, although he will have a couple catches where he proves to be a beast on contested catches in the end zone.

If the defenses key on Vincent, Evans could benefit big time.  But do we a QB to tale advantage of that?  Time will tell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really care about non-Bucs for this kind of nonsense.  Replace Sammy Watkins with Mike Evans and I'll play.Less than 8 TD's for Mike Evans.I think Mike Evans will have a very good season, better than Sammy Watkins.  I predict Evans will have around 50-60 catches for about 800 yards and 5-6 TD's but the Bucs Offense has enough weapons to keep him from racking up extremely high TD totals, although he will have a couple catches where he proves to be a beast on contested catches in the end zone.

If the defenses key on Vincent, Evans could benefit big time.  But do we a QB to tale advantage of that?  Time will tell.

If we now have enough weapons that defenses can't totally key on Vincent then  he will have a monster year regardless of QB play.  Last year VJ managed to be ultra productive despite being the only proven weapon in the NFL's statistically worst offense with a rookie QB throwing the ball.  Besides the ever present concern over injury in the NFL, IMO the only thing holding the Bucs back from being legitimate championship contenders is our Offensive Line, particularly the Guard position.  If we get lucky and either Nicks magically becomes healthy again and some other G steps up big-time then there is no reason to believe that either Mccown or Glennon would not be sufficient at QB to lead an offense in the top half of the league.  That, coupled with what I expect to be a top 10 defense should be enough to at least contend for the playoffs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we now have enough weapons that defenses can't totally key on Vincent then  he will have a monster year regardless of QB play.  Last year VJ managed to be ultra productive despite being the only proven weapon in the NFL's statistically worst offense with a rookie QB throwing the ball.  Besides the ever present concern over injury in the NFL, IMO the only thing holding the Bucs back from being legitimate championship contenders is our Offensive Line, particularly the Guard position.  If we get lucky and either Nicks magically becomes healthy again and some other G steps up big-time then there is no reason to believe that either Mccown or Glennon would not be sufficient at QB to lead an offense in the top half of the league.  That, coupled with what I expect to be a top 10 defense should be enough to at least contend for the playoffs.

Agree with most of that. But the biggest question mark for me is the pass rush.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with most of that. But the biggest question mark for me is the pass rush.

Yessir.Pass rush is huge.  McCoy can bring it.  MJ is so-so, IMO.  Not sold on his overall body of work.  No pass rush, and this team is going to get gashed.

Please wait…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.