Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

At the risk of riling up the rest of the board, I just don’t agree that the pass-blocking was as bad as you are saying. IMO, most, but not all of the hits were on the QB not on the oline. Many times he had 3 or 4 seconds to throw and just didn’t. When the line gives a QB that much time in the NFL, I believe they have done their job. It appears to me that McKown is simply very slow processing what he sees and then is very slow to deliver the ball. I saw receivers running open and he is still looking around. Even sometimes when the announcers, including Ronde said he had nowhere to go with the ball I very much disagreed. On one play McKown was sacked and Ronde said that while I could see Martin wide open right over the middle in front of McKown and he never saw him.As to the sacks, I completely disagree that Sotson was actually responsible for either of the two sacks Mathews got. Dotson handled him pretty well the entire game. On Mathews first sack Dotson blocked down and the TE I believe it was couldn't handle him. On the second one, Dotson had him blocked then McKown ran out from behind Dotson and essentially ran right into Matews while trying to get away from the rusher who had gotten cleanly away from Cousins.I completely agree about the run blocking however. With nowhere to run I don't know how you are so hard on the backs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

At the risk of riling up the rest of the board, I just don't agree that the pass-blocking was as bad as you are saying. IMO, most, but not all of the hits were on the QB not on the oline. Many times he had 3 or 4 seconds to throw and just didn't. When the line gives a QB that much time in the NFL, I believe they have done their job. It appears to me that McKown is simply very slow processing what he sees and then is very slow to deliver the ball. I saw receivers running open and he is still looking around. Even sometimes when the announcers, including Ronde said he had nowhere to go with the ball I very much disagreed. On one play McKown was sacked and Ronde said that while I could see Martin wide open right over the middle in front of McKown and he never saw him.As to the sacks, I completely disagree that Sotson was actually responsible for either of the two sacks Mathews got. Dotson handled him pretty well the entire game. On Mathews first sack Dotson blocked down and the TE I believe it was couldn't handle him. On the second one, Dotson had him blocked then McKown ran out from behind Dotson and essentially ran right into Matews while trying to get away from the rusher who had gotten cleanly away from Cousins.I completely agree about the run blocking however. With nowhere to run I don't know how you are so hard on the backs.

Blocking is a problem imvho - Dotson did a pretty solid job but the rest of the oline needed to be a lot better to be average from where I was watching the game.  Dotson has come a long way since I first saw him in camp and wondered which scout was going to be fired for taking up the coaching staff's time and efforts

• Anonymous

Inactive

I certainly am not saying that the offensive line is good. It needs another overhaul in the offseason, hopefully one that is much more successful. I’m just saying all I’m hearing is about poor McCown who was victimized by a bad blocking offensive line. Although I will never say they did a good job, IMO, the problem was FAR more the QB than the line. After we hit Rodgers very hard a couple of time, he threw a boat-load of passes where he got them off in 2 to 2.5 seconds. Call me crazy but I think he would have done just fine behind the Buc line Sunday.I also have been down on EDS all season but IMO, in the last few games he has played much better.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not hearing that “poor McCown” stuff from me – while he is the best the bucs have to offer at this time, he has had plenty of opportunity to show defensives they are at risk when taking chances.  That said - the blocking both for run and pass have been pretty bad. At some point one or more portions of this team will have to step, raising the expectations/standards for all.  Hasn't happened in a good long while, here's hoping they wait one more game before moving forward.  And Merry Christmas Joe - hope this finds you and yours happy and safe - Merry Christmas

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t disagree with anything you said Dave which really isn’t unusual.Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all of yours! may it be the best you have ever had BUT not the best you will ever have!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.