Viewing 7 reply threads

• Author

• revfish

Participant

Griese and the Bucs take down the red hot Chiefs at their own game, and Bryant hits the second third longest field goal of all time.  These are the number five and number four most exciting Buc games of all time. Hope you enjoy it.5) 2004: Kansas City Chiefs at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (34-31 TB).  Despite an unimpressive record, Kansas City came into the game as the hottest team in the league.  They’d blown out division leading Atlanta 56-10 and taken out the unbeatable Colts in a shootout 48-38.  Tampa was trying to climb out of a slow start to the season, and did what few thought they could in beating the Chiefs at their own game.  Overall all, the two teams gained over 850 yards of total offense in a game that had big play after big play.  It began with the Chiefs taking the opening drive down for the score on a sweet 32 yard over the shoulder catch by Johnny Morton, to which the Bucs’ rookie WR Michael Clayton countered with a flat pass down the left sideline for 63 yards and FB Jameel Cook catching a TD fake run-pass for 7 yards.  Next comes one of the more exciting plays in Tamps history, when Chief receiver Eddie Kennison runs free down the middle  for 67 yards on the way to help his team go up again when Dwight Smith somehow runs him down, hits the ball from behind, and causes a fumble that CB Kelly picks up and runs out of the Buccaneer end zone. After a 23 yard pass to TE Heller, Michael Pittman literally fights his way through a pile up on 4th down to help Tampa take a 14-7 lead rather than be behind.  Not to be outdone by another running back, league leading rusher Priest Holmes rushed four times for 35 yards and his own touchdown.  Once again, the Bucs would not go away, taking it to the house even after Clayton’s diving 45 yard catch that beat quadruple coverage down the middle is called back, with Brian Griese giving the ball instead to Joey Galloway for 19 yards and TE Dilger being left uncovered on the left side before the snap.  Griese simply tosses the ball to from three yards out.  The Chiefs, however, took in a 24-21 halftime lead after TE Tony Gonzalez leaps up for a 23 yard scoring strike, and Buc K Martin Grammatica misses a 48 yard FG.  Getting the ball in the second half, Tampa let it be known it was not done, tossing the ball to Pittman , who runs left and behind a great block by Kenyatta Walker, sprints 78 yards for the longest run in Buc history until Bobby Rainey’s run against the Bills this year.  Continuing its own big plays, Chief QB Trent Green hit Joe Horn for 27 and Gonzalez for 20 to set up another six points, but the big news is that RB Holmes gets injured injured on a seemingly innocuous 12 yard run out of bounds.  Going into the fourth, Pittman (who had a 140 yard day), takes the first play of the quarter and goes 12 yards, deliberately running over a Chief cornerback rather than go out of bounds.  He’d also finish the drive with a 4 yard run where he holds out the ball to go over the pylon as he goes out of bounds.  To make things more interesting in a bad way, Gramatica (who’d be cut 3 weeks later), misses the extra point to keep it a three point game.  Knowing this, Kansas City hops onto the legs and hands of new RB Larry Johnson to take it to Tampa’s 17.  At this point,  Buc S Jermaine Philips gets a 2nd Chief turnover in its own end zone to turn away the threat.  A sack nullifies a 27 yard Dilger reception on the play before, so Green and the Chiefs has one more chance, and does move into Tampa territory, threatening to at least tie with a field goal.  Onto the scene comes Rhonde Barber, who sacks Trent Green to make it 2 and 17.  This is followed up with what looks to be a sack by Simeon Rice and fumble recovery by Ryan Nece, but the replay official  sees the play as an incomplete pass.  The win celebration would have to wait a play.  Dwayne White sacks Trent Green for the final time and a tremendous game is ended in thrilling fashion.  4) 2006:  Philadelphia Eagles at Tampa Bay Buccaneers  (23-21 TB)  There's no way he could...and yet he did.  In 2006 the division leading Philadelphia Eagles came into town to play the 1-4 Bucs, who were led by sixth round rookie pick Bruce Gradkowski.  Taking the opening kickoff, in a foreshadowing of what was going to come, they march down the field with ease by Eagle QB Donovan McNabb to the Tamp 19 when, after catching a perfect ball, WR Alan is hit by Buc CB Torry Cox and fumbles the ball, and then Cadillac Williams' fumble on the next play is reversed upon review.  Following the punt, the Eagles again would march down the field after RB Brown runs 41 yards to Tampa's 30 only to have CB Bolden jump a down and out on the next first down on the left side, returning it 30 yards to midfield.  Tampa's offense was doing nothing, while Philly was moving with ease but the score remained tied.  Indeed, Tampa would actually take the lead despite going nowhere, when Tampa CB Rhonde Barber baits McNabb into throwing a slant a la the Championship Game and returning int 34 yards for the score.  Barber actually had man coverage on another receiver but saw what was going to happen and jumped the route.  Tampa went into halftime leading 7-0.  Ironically, they could have been up 10-0 when Gradkowski hits WR Paris Warren on a crossing route over the middle but Gruden didn't want to have K Matt Bryant try a 49 yarder.  Once again, the Eagles march down the field and looked poised to score for sure before half after Donavan ran for 20 yards and hit WR Westbrook on the sideline going the Buc 6 with nine seconds left, but in an incredible move, the veteran quarterback made a rookie mistake by hitting TE Smith at the two where once again Rhonde Barber stops him in his tracks and the clock ran out.  To start off the second half, Tampa actually got one of its first drives on offense going behind the legs of the "Cadillac", who rushed for 34 yards total on the drive.  Bryant would be called on this time from 30 yards out to extend Tampa Bay's lead.  In a recurring theme, the Eagles again go into Buc territory only to have it backfire.  Rhonde Barber, the NFL Defensive Player of the Week, jumped another down and out along the right sideline and 70 yards later, the score was 17-0!  Having had enough of this, Philadelphia really took over the game from this point on.  Hitting WR Brown up on his own crossing route for 25 yards, and then running up the middle for 36, McNabb was on fire.  On the next play, he spins away from three defenders to hit Taper for a 13 yard TD strike after CB Bolden misses the interception.  ON their next drive, the assault on the Buccaneers defense continued, with 47 yards run up the middle on three plays, and on the only pass of the drive, Brown gets another pass, this one for 7 yards and six points.  The score is 17-14.  Tampa came back somewhat with a FG after Philadelphia DE sacked Bradkowski but not only did he grab and pull Bruce's facemask while doing it, he got another 15 yard penalty on top of it for kicking the official's flag following the call for a total of 30 yards in penalties in 10 seconds!  At the one minute mark of the fourth, things looked good.  The Eagles had only gotten to the 50 in two minutes times and needed a touchdown.  In a stunning move, they got it.  Calling a middle screen, Westbrook jukes Derrick Brooks off of his feet, and after three missed tackles including two by Ruud and Cox, takes it to the house.  Suddenly, Tampa is on the brink of losing a game in which they got two defensive touchdowns to help them.  With thirty seconds left, Michael Pittman is called upon to return the kickoff.  Taking it inside his end zone, Pittman comes out and proceeds to give the Bucs a glimmer of hope by returning it to the 36 yard line. A 15 yard pass to Michael Clayton and a Gradkowski scramble for 7 yards put it at their opponent's 45 with four seconds.  Gruden, who didn't trust Matt Bryant with a 49 yarder earlier, sends out the field goal team with the commentators saying there's no way he could make it.  "All you have to do is watch and listen," the commentator says.  The ball gets kicked.  The crowd goes crazy.  Bryant is jumped.  I guess it went in.  Bucs win!  Bucs win!  And the Eagles go into the locker rooms with looks of disbelief on their faces.  It was a site to see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know about these games. We were 2-5 going into that Chiefs game and 1-4 with our 3rd string late round rookie QB going into the Eagles game. While the games had many big plays, it was hard to get excited over them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The early 2000s Chiefs offensive line might be the best I’ve ever seen.

Please wait…

• DCBucsfan

Participant

The early 2000s Chiefs offensive line might be the best I've ever seen.

It would be a good argument against the 90’s Cowboys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Couldn't watch the kick, had my back turned eyes closed and waited for the crowd reaction.  First and only time I can remember doing that.  What a thrill.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the Philly game in a packed sports bar. I yelled “wooooooo” as loud as possible after the kick. I remember everyone else who was watching other games look at me like I was crazy and then gathered round to watch the replay. ” Holy **CENSORED**” was their responds afterwards. Wasn’t a Philly fan in the joint  5 seconds after that kick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the Philly game in a packed sports bar. I yelled "wooooooo" as loud as possible after the kick. I remember everyone else who was watching other games look at me like I was crazy and then gathered round to watch the replay. " Holy **CENSORED**" was their responds afterwards. Wasn't a Philly fan in the joint  5 seconds after that kick.

As soon as the kick cleared and the crowd erupted, I looked at the field and turned to face two Eagles fans sitting near us who had been jawing when victory looked certain.  There was literally a matter of a couple of seconds lapsed and they were already gone- I still feel robbed.One of my favorite Philly jokes-  What is the difference between a book and The Philadelphia Eagles?A book has a title.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watched the Philly game at a buddy’s house. He was outside walking the dog at the time (He’s a Denver fan so he didn’t care). I was sulking and moping just knowing we had lost again. Then I erupted, my buddy heard me from outside and about 300 feet away. And then I got sooooo drunk hahaha.

Please wait…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.