Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

I’m trying to size up all of the battles for roster spots of the offensive skill positions. I feel like the more a player can do, the more resilient the offense will be…I define the multi-purpose player as someone who can play 2 or more positions, including special teams play.  Skill positions are, of course, Guys who touch the ball after the snap.Examples: A tight-end who can block and catch passes is not a multi-purpose player.  A tight-end who can do those thing AND play FB or WR is multi-purpose.A RB who lines up outside of the tackle box in an empty backfield formation is still a RB.  If a RB can also play FB, he's multi-purpose.A WR who can return punts is multi-purpose.Pick one player (don't bogart!) and make your case for a roster spot based on what he does that makes him multi-purpose.Summary:KR: DempsRB: Demps, JamesFB: JamesWR: Demps, WrightTE: Wright

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The most obvious is Demps.  RB, slot WR and returning kickoffs. I don’t see much upside for him running between the tackles but he’ll at least be lining up there on occasion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The most obvious is Demps.  RB, slot WR and returning kickoffs. I don't see much upside for him running between the tackles but he'll at least be lining up there on occasion.

He also can come off the edge to block punts and kicks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wright is a huge weapon if he can improve his blocking. A TE who can be a threat in the passing game and a good blocker is so dangerous. You see him run on the field and you could looking at a 3 wr set or a traditional I-formation. Really gives us an advantage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wright is a huge weapon if he can improve his blocking. A TE who can be a threat in the passing game and a good blocker is so dangerous. You see him run on the field and you could looking at a 3 wr set or a traditional I-formation. Really gives us an advantage.

He is that WR/TE 'tweener.  He does have some competition, tho'...  Being able to play slot wr and pass catching TE will help him, but blocking would really seal the deal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m seeing Mike James as a lead blocker (FB) and Doug’s backup… at least one of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm seeing Mike James as a lead blocker (FB) and Doug's backup... at least one of them.

Mike James is my pick as well. He played FB in college.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm seeing Mike James as a lead blocker (FB) and Doug's backup... at least one of them.

I'm uncertain James has the size to play FB at this level.  I'm also uncertain what we are going to do at FB.  Stocker is going to have to do ST's and maybe block in goal line situations if he is going to make the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm uncertain James has the size to play FB at this level.  I'm also uncertain what we are going to do at FB.  Stocker is going to have to do ST's and maybe block in goal line situations if he is going to make the team.

Right now, I'm looking to identify multi-purpose players.  I'll get into weighing the value add a little bit later.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

If Wright becomes a better blocker I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t use a FB and run a lot of two TE sets.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know it will never happen but I wish an offensive guy could be the long snapper, which frees up one position and also our kicker could be one kicker for punts and field goals. Extra points are automatic and kick offs are being phased out. I think Koenen can do both but I am not sure. Would love to free up those two spots for mo linemen both offensive and defensive. Oh well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stop preachin’ to the chior, Rusty… we were spoiled by Dave Moore, tho’.Can't believe there aren't more advocates for other player.  Where's JDub? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Geez, I actually forgot about Moore, who I know from buying insurance. Maybe we can bring him back. I just hate giving up those two spots on game day. Thanks

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No advocates for Sims, Patton, Herron?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims for sure, but I’ve spent so much time talking about him recently, I thought I’d give it a rest. I like Herron a lot (loved the pick). But, I'm not sure he's going to do a lot next year. I think he's got a learning curve at the slot, and doesn't have much experience in the return game. I see him as more of a 2015 producer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not all offenses employ a traditional battering ram type FB. James could be used as a finesse WCO FB like what Gruden did with BJ Askew.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Page 2 Summary:ST MurphyPR Herron, PageKR: Demps, PageRB: Demps, JamesFB: JamesWR: Demps, Wright, Herron, Page, MurphyTE: Wright

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

VJAX, Evans, AJS, Wright, Sims, Martin, Herron & Demps on the field at  any one time will be electric. If McCown can get the ball of quick, not exposing the Oline too often, the Bucs can put some points on the board and take pressure off the defense.

Please wait…

• captainduwayne

Participant

I know you guys hate Eric Page because some guy didn’t take his hand off cleanly and he takes chances on KR in the end zone, but I have to say as a long shot to make the team last year he was able to make it and became and become a top 33% return man.  If you read the notes regarding practice this week you will notice that Demps can not catch and fumbles even when they aren’t even hitting.  Also Joebucsfan.com said that Eric Page got the second most props from coaches than everyone else on the field.  EP was a rookie last year and coach wanted him to focus on returns, this year he will only get better.  Eric Page will get a shot at slot this year and will break out.

Please wait…

• captainduwayne

Participant

*You know, it helps to catch the ball before you run with it. Glennon hits Jeff Demps right in the hands along the right sideline, about as much of a bulls-eye pass as you will see, but Demps turned upfield and forgot one important thing: Hang on to the ball.*Kafka rifles a ball through traffic and hits Brandon Myers on the run in stride for a touchdown.*Sweet catch by Tommy Streeter along the left sideline, pulling the ball back to his body with the pass coming from Glennon.*Glennon suffers a coverage sack, if there was such a thing in underwear football, as no receiver could get open.*Perfect pass by Kafka to Solomon Patton of the University of Florida, but — whoops! — Patton tanks the play and drops it.*Patton makes up for catching a Glennon pass that was thrown behind him.*Doug Martin continues to bite the football while running loose to the end zone. Greg Schiano would be so proud.*Safety Major Wright juked and off balance in a tackling/angles drill strictly with his position group.*No Carl Nicks to be found. Joe looked. Vincent Jackson wore a baseball cap all day and rested a “tweak” of his hamstring.*Route-running drill was a lot of fun to watch. Mike Evans sure looked raw with his footwork. Yes, that was before he tweaked his hammy and sat out the rest of practice.*Want a polished route runner? Chris Owusu got hefty praise from coaches and looked the part. “Wu” is how he’s known by teammates. A fun word to say.*Eric Page drew the second most praise from coaches.*McCown’s passes were razor sharp throughout this drill.*The dropsies continued for rookie sixth-round pick Robert Herron. Every practice Joe’s watched with Herron, the young man has some Kellen Winslow Vaseline hands. However,, in every practice Herron flashes the speed and tight routes and explosion that can wow everyone watching. On one play, he made CB Rashaan Melvin look like a JV athlete in coverage.*Seems to be some nice chemistry between Glennon and Louis Murphy. Smooth connections.*Bounce pass by Glennon to Brandon Myers. Major miscommunication.*A Luke Stocker sighting! With the first team! Nice connection for 10 yards from McCown.*Absolute laser uncorked by Glennon to Tim Wright – 25 yards.*Jeff Demps fumbles! Keep in mind this was a handoff up the middle and no contact is allowed. In other words, Demps coughed this up with a mere reach-in slap to the ball. Not good. Defense recovers.

Please wait…

• captainduwayne

Participant

but you guys think Demps and Herron are your answer

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think they are the answer but they certainly an opportunity. The question is can they correct the negatives to optimize the positives. Only the coaches can figure that out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know this guy is kind of a fringe player but how about Louis Murphy. Guy has 4.3 speed and did some things in Oakland that were good. Louis is coming home to play and that may just be extra incentive to play extra hard. He has the size and stregth to play on the outside if vjax or Evans get injured. Unlike Underwood last year I think his routes are better and he can play in the slot. I’m not sure if he’s returned kicks in his career but he seems to have the speed to be effective at it and he’ll be a gunner on sp teams.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

ep666ep: but you guys think Demps and Herron are your answerI like Page less every time you post.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Travelle Hawkins. And I think Myers has played a FB/H-back position before. With 3 multi-talented TEs, our 3rd and short packages could give opposing DCs nightmares…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Travelle Hawkins. And I think Myers has played a FB/H-back position before. With 3 multi-talented TEs, our 3rd and short packages could give opposing DCs nightmares...

What is Hawkins' second position?

Please wait…

• captainduwayne

Participant

“the answer” was a little strong, you guys just want good players and hope you can upgrade everywhere.  I’m just sayin don’t count Page out. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans.He can block very well (did so for a moving around manziel, so surely he can for scripted running play), can leap for a ball, has sure hands, and can be moved for 1wr to 2wr to slot or te positions.Obviously, he's just a wideout, but the things he does as a wideout are definitely good for muti-purpose use.Also, idk how much they care about that term, or else they would've just kept zuttah.

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.