Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I admit it. I have a huge man crush on Vernon Butler DT. 6′ 4″ 325 pounds. Has shown the ability to consistently anchor against double and triple teams. If you see a huge pile in the middle of the LOS chances are Vernon Butler is right in the middle of it. He is taking on blockers and stalking the ball carrier. If they run in his direction, he simply tosses 300 pound linemen out of the way and shows off his incredible burst to take down any ball carrier who dares to try to shoot his gaps. As a one gap player he is simply dominant. When was the last time you saw a player display this kind of power and agility at 325 pounds. This is Senior Bowl footage where he was in a 1-1 situation. I have not seen this kind of mix of power and burst since Reggie White:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMerQJgaL2sHe simply bull rushes the RG into the backfield and then tosses the lineman to the side. Then with his burst on full display in the very next motion he destroys the QB with a club move that produces a fumble and sends the QB to the ground.IMO Vernon Butler is an extremely rare talent. The scary part is that he has not reached his full potential. With a couple of years in a pro system this kid is going to dominate. Anyway, Butler is my guy. I currently have him as the No.2 rated player in the draft behind only the freak Myles Jack. IMO these are the two sure shot defensive players who are going to be superstars in this draft. I have also watched about a half dozen of his 2015 games already. This was not a fluke play. The kid is legit and he is only going to get better.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on your post, I went and watched about 5 videos on him.  I like him, a lot.  He would be someone that can anchor the line in the middle and take on multiple blockers without giving much ground and causing a pile (as you said).#2 rated in the draft is a bit of a reach tho.  I'd be really happy taking this guy in the 2nd round if he is there.  He isnt a rare athlete, just a big strong guy with a motor. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good player

• Anonymous

Inactive

Big dude for a One Tech.  We have a project guy very similar to him Lott, Derrick DT 6-4 314 25 1 Tennessee-Chattanooga

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on your post, I went and watched about 5 videos on him.  I like him, a lot.  He would be someone that can anchor the line in the middle and take on multiple blockers without giving much ground and causing a pile (as you said).#2 rated in the draft is a bit of a reach tho.  I'd be really happy taking this guy in the 2nd round if he is there.  He isnt a rare athlete, just a big strong guy with a motor.

I agree. He is not really a rare athlete but he does have a rare burst and agility for a 325 pound 2 gapper. As a 1 gapper 3 tech he shows a great bull rush and swim move but not much else in the way of pass rush moves. He has tried a spin move a few times but it is not pretty. Nobody else has him rated as high as I do. I am assuming he will be drafted in the back end of the 1st round. If it were me I would have to consider him at No.9 overall just because his ceiling is so high. He has a higher ceiling than any DT I have seen since McCoy and Suh because of his combination of size power and agility but he is a totally different player than both of those two.I love his attitude too. Check this article out. http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2016/01/25/butler-wants-prove-hes-top-ranked-dt-prospect-nfl-draft/79288100/

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good player

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs drafted a DT at 9....It's a pretty deep draft for interior DLs...

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think 9 is a bit of a reach for Butler. If we somehow trade back or pick up a 1st for Glennon then I’d be on board. VHlll, Buckner whoever is available at that pick.

• williebrowntown

Thats a full grown man… watch that replay and tell me he’s not a phenomenal athlete. He literally bench pressed a 300+ lb guard off himself, dropped his heels to the ground and exploded onto the QB That's rare. I've liked him, hoping he'd fall to us in the 2nd but I just don't see it happening

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like this dude too. Where’s he projected to go? I’d puddle myself if we could trade down from 9, or back up into the 1st, or swap Glennon for him. 9 seems high, but he could be a beast out there next to 93.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man I wanted Dontari Poe (sp). Too raw, no technique, blah blah. I like this kid. Strong as an ox.

• Anonymous

Inactive

End of write up by NFL on Butler:"NFL COMPARISON Muhammad WilkersonBOTTOM LINE Athletic interior lineman with long arms and outstanding athleticism that allows him to work on offensive linemen with a combination of power and quickness. Butler has a raw but diverse skillset as a pass rusher that should excite NFL evaluators who see the potential of what he can be with more coaching and experience. With his effort and defensive ball awareness, his ceiling appears to be high with a chance to become a high-­level starter for an odd or even front defense."-Lance Zierlein

• Anonymous

Inactive

Javon Hargrave South Carolina State is another DT,dude had 56 sack as a DT in 4 years.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Javon Hargrave South Carolina State is another DT,dude had 56 sack as a DT in 4 years.

Hargrave is one of my favorite DL as well. More of a 3 technique. Better than Rankins on tape.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not real big on taking a DT at #9, but if we did I would prefer Butler over Rankins.  With Rankins I would feel like we are drafting McCoy’s backup and I think that’s silly for the 9th overall pick.  With Butler I can see the logic.  He is a beast of a man that would fit well next to McCoy.  He is a good enough athlete to get some stuff done, but his biggest value would come from keeping McCoy and our undersized LBs clean.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.