Sunday, September 22, 2019

New Faces – Offense – QB

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Ethan Jun. 15, 2019 at 3:37 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Robert Ethan
    Participant

He started for 3 seasons in the SEC. Led team to similar record as Dak Prescott had the previous 3 seasons. That’s not “garbage”. He’s not a great passer, obviously, but he found a way to score. Prescott played 49 games for Miss State and had 111 total TDs passing and rushing. Fitzgerald played 44 games and had 101 total TDs. Nick’s ratio per game was fractionally better. Drew Lock played 50 games in the SEC and had 108 total TDs. Fitz had better per game ratio than Drew as well.  As Wayne Gretzky once said, “The don’t care how you scored, only how many.”

As a passer his career rating was 122.5 in college. Daniel Jones who went 6th overall had a career rating of 122.9. Both Fitzgerald and Jones made 36 college starts. Nick went 20-16 in the SEC, with 55 passing TDs, 30 Int. Daniel went 17-19 in the ACC with 52 passing TDs and 29 Int. What’s the difference? Certainly Fitzgerald is at least as good an athlete. How much is being coached by a friend of the Mannings worth? A whole bunch apparently.

+2
    Rating: 0. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Robert Ethan.

Robert Ethan
    Participant

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nick+Fitzgerald+Mississippi+v+Mississippi+iqnXYs-H57Gx.jpg

Fitzgerald flipping off Ole Miss after they broke his leg.

Gotta have this guy on your team. 🙂

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

The Freeman
    Participant

Cmp %

Nick Fitzgerald

2016 (SO) : 54.3%

2017 (JR) : 55.6%

2018 (SR) : 51.6%

Dak Prescott

2013 (SO) : 58.4%

2014 (JR) : 61.6%

2015 (SR) : 66.2%

Daniel Jones

2016 (FR) : 62.8%

2017 (SO) : 56.7%

2018 (JR) : 60.5%

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  The Freeman.

Robert Ethan
    Participant

Fitzgerald was just as effective as a college QB as Jones, by any standards. Nearly as effective as Prescott. But he isn’t competing with those guys for a spot. He’s competing with Ryan Griffin, who went 9-31 as a starter in college in the CUSA. Fitzgerald had a higher college career passer rating than Griffin, and a better TD to Int ratio as well (55-30 vs. 56-35) in 5 fewer starts. It’s difficult to quantify toughness and personal presence, but I think Fitzgerald has as much as any player currently on the team. Arians will find a spot for him, he recognizes the importance of personality.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

Roy
    Participant

Fitzgerald was just as effective as a college QB as Jones, by any standards. Nearly as effective as Prescott. But he isn’t competing with those guys for a spot. He’s competing with Ryan Griffin, who went 9-31 as a starter in college in the CUSA. Fitzgerald had a higher college career passer rating than Griffin, and a better TD to Int ratio as well (55-30 vs. 56-35) in 5 fewer starts. It’s difficult to quantify toughness and personal presence, but I think Fitzgerald has as much as any player currently on the team. Arians will find a spot for him, he recognizes the importance of personality.

I’m not sure why he would stick.  Reading his scouting report, he can’t throw the deep ball.  He stares down receivers and doesn’t have awareness of DBs down the field.  How do you figure he’s going to make the team unless the scouting reports are just totally wrong?   And as for the Taysom Hill comparison, Hill ran a 4.4 40.  Fitzgerald ran a 4.63, top five in the quarterback combines, but not a game changer athletically.   Character only gets you so far.  They won’t keep him around if they don’t see that he can at least throw a good deep ball.  I’d be surprised if he even makes the practice squad.

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Roy.

Robert Ethan
    Participant

I’m not sure why he would stick. Reading his scouting report, he can’t throw the deep ball. He stares down receivers and doesn’t have awareness of DBs down the field. How do you figure he’s going to make the team unless the scouting reports are just totally wrong? And as for the Taysom Hill comparison, Hill ran a 4.4 40. Fitzgerald ran a 4.63, top five in the quarterback combines, but not a game changer athletically. Character only gets you so far. They won’t keep him around if they don’t see that he can at least throw a good deep ball. I’d be surprised if he even makes the practice squad.

I keep having to say, Fitzgerald only has to be more useful than Griffin to stick. That’s not a tall order. As I pointed out Nick’s college passing stats were at least as good, and as a runner he had nearly triple the yardage that Josh Jacobs managed in the SEC in a few less games. Nearly triple the rushing touchdowns as well. Higher yards per carry average. Jacobs was top RB drafted and expected to be a star. As for his 40 time, it was faster than Peyton Barber managed at about the same weight, so it isn’t that critical as a runner.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

BucFanFromATL
    Participant

I believe Nick Fitzgerald will make the final roster simply because he will be able to see the field in multiple other capacities. Namely Special Teams, 3rd String QB, Wildcat QB (RPO and QB draw). He has the potential to become a Taysum Hill type Gadget Player. He said in one of his interviews during OTA’s that he is willing to do whatever the coaching staff asks of him.

In college he’s shown his ability to run the ball (VERY TOUGHLY) against premier SEC defenses… while also being serviceable as a starting college QB. He’s not going to wow the world as a QB in the NFL but he has QB skills to deliver passes in a limited gadget capacity… as well as tuck it and run if it ain’t there.
    221 Rushing attempts for 1121 yards and 13 TD’s… He was averaging about 18 runs per game versus about 23 passes per game… and averaging close to 100 yard rushing per game. His rushing stats alone ranked him #5 among ALL SEC players… behind Traveon Williams (#1 SEC Rusher, 6 round draft pick), Benny Snell Jr (#2 SEC RB, 4th round pick), Ke’Shawn Vaughn (#3 SEC RB, Returning for Senior Season), and Larry Roundtree (#4 SEC RB, Returning to Mizzou)… He finished #4 in SEC rushing TD’s…

So just off his feel, vision, and comfort level running the ball from the QB position… he has great utility for NFL gadget plays. At 6-5 approximately 230 lbs… He’s also not frail or fragile, he’s a tough kid who can take tough hits. He’s not afraid to stick his nose in there, and has already been practicing special teams in OTA’s.

If I’m not mistaken Nick FItzgerald also did TE workouts at Miss State’s Pro Day… Which further demonstrated his diverse skill set as a pass catcher. I don’t expect him to line up and block anyone as a TE… but again Run, Pass, Catch abilities makes him a perfect player to have on a roster as a “football player”. He ran in the 4.6 range… Could be one hell of an asset to this team if he’s good enough.

I like Nick’s chance to crack the final roster… He’ll probably be listed as QB #3 on the depth… but will also be RB#4, TE#4, WR#7, Special Team Starter. Bruce Arians enjoys deploying a handful of trick/gadget plays so at the very least Nick will get his fair share of reps and opportunities to demonstrate his diverse skill set during Training Camp and Pre-Season.

+2
    Please wait...

Robert Ethan
    Participant

The only thing I’d add to that post is that Fitzgerald also brings an intangible to the locker room that is rare and valuable. I really don’t think he’s competing with Griffin for the 3rd QB spot. Griffin has to beat out Gabbert or hope for an injury to stick on the team. He turns 30 in the fall, and I think the new staff probably thinks he’s earned enough money for practicing for the past 6 years.

+1
    Please wait...

Pennywise
    Participant

He is a awful QB

+4
    Rating: +3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

Roy
    Participant

Robert, you are simply wrong when you say he simply has to outperform Griffin to stick.  Gabbert is the experienced backup.  That means if you keep a rookie as a 3rd string QB its because he has a future upside as a QB and he would generally be inactive. You wouldn’t keep 3 QBs active unless your starter is questionable and trying to play with an injury or something.

Again, I’m not buying the special teams aspect. He’s not Taysom Hill.  Hill is a special talent.  Fitzgerald is not that special.  If you want help on special teams there will be plenty of UFAs playing LB or RB or something where they might get in for a few plays.  I just don’t see the Bucs keeping this guy around to be a special teamer jack of all trades – master of none.  Not gonna happen.

His only chance is if he pulls some passing skills out of his butt which show he can eventually be an NFL caliber QB.

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Robert Ethan
    Participant

Arians kept 3 QBs in Arizona in 2017.  Palmer, Stanton, Gabbert. All three ended up starting at least 4 games that season.  As for Taysom Hill being “special”, Fitzgerald had a better passer rating, rushing average, and touchdown ratio over his college career, and did it at a younger age against better competition. There is no hard evidence to suggest that Hill is more “special” in any way. Quite the contrary.

+2
    Please wait...

Roy
    Participant

Arians kept 3 QBs in Arizona in 2017. Palmer, Stanton, Gabbert. All three ended up starting at least 4 games that season. As for Taysom Hill being “special”, Fitzgerald had a better passer rating, rushing average, and touchdown ratio over his college career, and did it at a younger age against better competition. There is no hard evidence to suggest that Hill is more “special” in any way. Quite the contrary.

Here is the hard evidence:  Hill showed impressive athletic ability at BYU’s pro day. His 40-yard dash of 4.44 seconds and 38.5-inch vertical jump would’ve finished first among all participating quarterbacks at the 2017 NFL Combine, beating Texas A&M’s Trevor Knight’s 4.54-second 40 dash and 35.5-inch vertical.

But Hill was cut by the Packers.  I’m not saying Fitzgerald will never make it in the NFL.  But the very best he can hope for is the practice squad.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Robert Ethan
    Participant

Well, as far as Combine numbers are concerned, Fitzgerald had about the same numbers across the board as Peyton Barber, at about the same weight. Success running the ball is not predicated on test times. Lots of backs performed better than Barber in the tests, but I think only Zeke Elliott and Derrick Henry from his draft class ran for more yards last season. I’m not sure how much Fitzgerald’s passing can improve, he’d certainly be getting much better coaching than he ever has. Tebow came into the NFL with similar pros and cons, and took a dead in the water Broncos team to the playoffs with a 48% completion rate in his second year, I think. After Elway traded away Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd their top receiver in an attempt to tank for Andrew Luck. Won a playoff game too as I recall. Elway was so pissed that he didn’t get his shot at Luck he grabbed Peyton Manning instead and ran Tebow out of town. That was the only legitimate chance Tebow was given in the NFL because his passing mechanics didn’t look good. But he won games whenever he was given a chance in college and the NFL and made the players around him better.

Watch the clip of Fitzpatrick having his leg broken in 2017. It was a brutal injury and he was screaming in pain when it happened. By the time they took him off the field on the cart he was exhorting his teammates on and giving the finger to the Ole Miss crowd in the stands. Balls the size of battleships, and he’s not loud or pretentious about it like so many self styled “leaders”are.

+5
    Rating: +3. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...

Roy
    Participant

I’d like to know why you are so against the practice squad?  Ryan Griffin was on the practice squad. Peyton Barber.   Quentin Flowers spent all last year on the practice squad as a RB and was activated for the last game.  The practice squad is usually part of the NFL experience for undrafted free agents.  If Fitzgerald is lucky that’s where he’ll end up to at the start of this season.

+1
    Please wait...

Robert Ethan
    Participant

No problem with the practice squad, I just can’t see the point of Griffin. Particularly since they’re working so close to the salary cap. I understand why they re-signed him after losing Fitzpatrick, but with Gabbert on the team now, at the same wage they’re paying Griffin, he seems redundant. Why not carry a guy who is younger, cheaper, has more upside, and offers added value at other positions? As I said previously, I think that Griffin would have to be better than Gabbert to stick, unless one of the guys ahead of him is injured. There is probably more chance that Fitzgerald would be poached off the taxi squad than Griffin would be signed as a free agent elsewhere. I think Griffin would still be around if and when they needed him, and they could save a bit of cap space in the meanwhile.

+1
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.