Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• FLASH

Participant

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2017/09/23/nfl-broadcasting-stocks-slump-as-protests-rise-and-tv-ratings-slump/#142f2d3d4eec

During the past month the overall stock market is up more than 2% but shares of companies that broadcast NFL games–Comcast, Walt Disney, Fox, CBS–are all down between 1% to 8%.

The NFL is now a hotbed of protests–a carry over from last year that began when San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began protesting during the National Anthem, to protests this year by those who feel Kaepernick, who is without a team, is being unfairly treated by by the league, to a stronger push by some players for an increase in NFL social activism.

Towards the end of last season some felt the NFL’s ratings dip would be temporary and therefore would not ultimately hurt the networks by forcing them to reimburse advertisers. Instead, the opposite has happened.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

McDonald’s dumped the NFL like it was yesterday’s Big Mac.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

NFL & owners will be offering free “p”j’s to try to get fans to come back.

This Weekend… IT begins.

• Timbuc2

Participant

I hope that the NFL goes in the toilet soon, the stands go empty, and cities lose revenue. Then I hope that it filters down to the college ranks and stands go empty. Hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost but this is what we want, so let it happen.

• RudeGuy

Participant

Timbuc2
      Sep 26, 17 at 8:53 pm #1027414

I hope that the NFL goes in the toilet soon, the stands go empty, and cities lose revenue. Then I hope that it filters down to the college ranks and stands go empty. Hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost but this is what we want, so let it happen.

Soccer could use a few more fans. The Rowdies are looking for support in moving to the MLS. :)

• BucfanNC12

Participant

@RudeGuy

I rarely agree with you but do on this. I just had a conversation with someone today and I think (maybe 20 years) soccer will be a major sport in the U.S. Especially with parents pulling their kids out of football now.

• BuccaneersMagic1282

Participant

Week 3 ratings were up, I think people are grossly exaggerating the whole “Death of the NFL” nonsense. It’s still drawing more than the MLB and NBA. Even if ratings keep going down that’s just natural, nothing rides a high forever.

• RudeGuy

Participant

@BucfanNC12

I could just see our top athletes playing soccer for the USMNT. The World Cup would be ours!

• The Anti-Java

Participant

There is a lot going on with the league, besides the current anthem dust up.
      The Thursday night games are a joke, they should of stuck with Sunday/Monday Night action. Younger people are tuning out big time. Not just the NFL, but TV in general. I am in my early 30’s and I have cut back a bit on my sports viewing. And I find people younger than me, are tuning out even more so.
      The 2 Los Angeles teams are struggling big time to fill their stadiums. Goodell seems to be in panic mode. First the TD celebrations were banned, now they loosened up the rules on that. And you have O’Dell taking a whiz in the end zone.
      I wouldn’t want his job, he has his work cut out for him. Not to mention Jerry trying to oust him.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘NFL Broadcasting Stocks Slump As Protests Rise And TV Ratings Fall’ is closed to new replies.