Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 24 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Future NFL head coaches NFL coordinators who are ready to become head coachesUSA Today By Lorenzo ReyesNov 2nd.  2013roman_zpsb958844e.jpgThe NFL is at the mid-way point of its season and already, coaches are on the hot seat. With vacancies opening up soon, here’s a look at four coordinators who are ready to make the jump to become head coaches. 4. Dan Quinn, Seattle Seahawks’ defensive coordinator Quinn is one of the younger coordinators who could make the jump to head coaching. The Seahawks are one of the most aggressive defenses in the NFL and rank third in points per game (15.6) and first in turnovers (21). With experience at both the collegiate and professional level, Quinn has had success at all his stops. While the coordinator for the Florida Gators, Quinn’s defenses in 2012 and 2011 ranked fifth (14.5) and 20th (20.3) in points allowed per game, respectively. In the NFL, Quinn has experience in leading defensive lines for the 49ers (2003-04), Dolphins (2005-06) and the Jets (2007-08). He also was an assistant head coach and defensive line coach for the Seahawks under Jim Mora in 2009. 3. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans Saints’ offensive coordinator Is there an offense that has been more consistently productive than New Orleans? Throughout the Saints’ historic success, Carmichael has been overseeing the group. In his fifth season as the offensive coordinator, Carmichael has been dialing up game plans that have emphasized  QB Drew Brees’ accuracy. The Saints have done it without a marquee WR, instead using a rotation of talented wideouts. Under Carmichael, TE Jimmy Graham has become one of the NFL’s most dangerous weapons. The Saints have ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, and Carmichael is a big reason why. 2. Greg Roman, San Francisco 49ers’ offensive coordinator Roman is one of those coordinators who seem to be in line for a head coaching job every year, but for one reason or another, fall short. Widely regarded as one of the premier rushing experts in the NFL, Roman’s teams have consistently produced on the ground. RB Frank Gore has been the primary beneficiary and is one of the NFL’s most productive backs. The 49ers rank first in the league in rushing offense this season, generating 153 yards per game. The most impressive thing about Roman’s offenses? They’re efficient. In 2011, his first season as the 49ers coordinator, San Francisco committed only 10 turnovers all season, tied for the best-ever in NFL history. 1. Bob Sutton, Kansas City Chiefs’ defensive coordinator Sutton commands the NFL’s top scoring defense, which cedes 12.2 points per game. His first season in Kansas City has been marked by an unrelenting pass rush, which also leads the league with 36 sacks. Before joining the Chiefs staff, Sutton spent 13 years with the Jets, most recently as an assistant head coach and linebackers coach. Sutton has been coaching football since 1972, when he started as a graduate assistant under Bo Schembechler; he has the experience to command an NFL team.

• dalbuc

Participant

Quinn has only been a coordinator one year, Bradley was their DC last year..no thanks. I'm a big fan of Carmichael even more than Roman. Roman loves to run but unless he brings that SF defense with him that won't be our oath to glory. Carmichael has experience with the best passing attack over the last 5 years in the NFL. Sutton runs a 34 and we are really not gonna be a great personnel match for that.

• Skull and Bones

Participant

I would be open to Carmicheal.  I don’t think anyone questions his X and O abilities, only his leadership abilities and demeanor to be a head coach .  Don’t know if he has it or not .  Could very well be ideal but why hasn’t he been a candidate for other jobs before and why wasn’t he their interim coach last year ?

• Skull and Bones

Participant

Also not opposed to switching to a. 3-4.  Teams make the switch all the time and it’s not like we have a great pass rush with what we have now . Also our most expensive and best player on D excelled playing with a. 3-4 in front of him.

• Bucman

Participant

Also not opposed to switching to a. 3-4.  Teams make the switch all the time and it's not like we have a great pass rush with what we have now . Also our most expensive and best player on D excelled playing with a. 3-4 in front of him.

I'd like to run a hybrid D. Some 3-4, some 4-3 and throw in some other odd formations.

• bucs449

Participant

Also not opposed to switching to a. 3-4.  Teams make the switch all the time and it's not like we have a great pass rush with what we have now . Also our most expensive and best player on D excelled playing with a. 3-4 in front of him.

I'd like to run a hybrid D. Some 3-4, some 4-3 and throw in some other odd formations.

Give me Jim Tomsula at DC.

• dalbuc

Participant

I would be open to Carmicheal.  I don't think anyone questions his X and O abilities, only his leadership abilities and demeanor to be a head coach .  Don't know if he has it or not .  Could very well be ideal but why hasn't he been a candidate for other jobs before and why wasn't he their interim coach last year ?

He doesn't call plays which people see as a negative.  I don't because HCs normally don't call plays.

• chace1986

Participant

Zimmer.

• dalbuc

Participant

Revis? Doesn't matter what the front is for the secondary. Problem is our front 7 the two best players GMC and David are mostly wasted in a 34.

• Skull and Bones

Participant

I thought  Carmicheal has been calling plays for years now.

• ShotCaller

Participant

nope. Payton calls the plays.

• Kodiak

Participant

While I think David and McCoy are better suited for a 4-3, I think they could play in a 3-4. McCoy would be a DE in a 3-4. David though doesn’t have the size to put his hand down and rush the passer. While I think they could play…I am not sure they’d be as effective as they are now. I really don’t see us switching because none of the rest of our D-line could play in a 3-4 and none of them are fast enough to play OLB. Also none of our LBs are big enough to be that pass rushing LB.

• Skull and Bones

Participant

Revis? Doesn't matter what the front is for the secondary. Problem is our front 7 the two best players GMC and David are mostly wasted in a 34.

our front 7 is crap as far generating any sort of pass rush .  Also think both those guys could play in a 3-4.  Especially like the 1 gap one the Texans run .  Regardless, the 4-3 that we have been trying to get going for the past 5 years hasnt been working .  Hell, you could say last 10 years.  I’m open to anything new.  This rebuild by Dom is a big fail .  A new rebuild is required. 

• Skull and Bones

Participant

If only 2 out of 7 starters are really worth a damn I would argue that it’s not worth holding on to any particular scheme only for that reason.

• Skull and Bones

Participant

nope. Payton calls the plays.

i remember he took over play calling that year Peyton got injured during that Buc game.  Also he definitely called them last year.

• dalbuc

Participant

If only 2 out of 7 starters are really worth a damn I would argue that it's not worth holding on to any particular scheme only for that reason.

Well but then you out GMC at the 5 and make David I guess an ILB because he can't be an OLB and you have 0 of 7 spots that are going to play well. You build off what you have an a 3 technique and excellent WLB are what we have to build on.

• ryan24

Participant

While all the talk regarding coordinators is fine and dandy, my belief is that unless the Glazers bring in a strong football guy to run the organization and essentially replace Dominik (whether Dominik is retained in another role or not), the Glazers will hire a coach with NFL head coaching experience. The Glazers are always reactive to what they perceive the problem was with the previous coach. If they do bring in a strong GM or some other titled head of the organization and turn the choice over to him, it's possible we could see a current coordinator with no HC experience brought in as HC.

• Feel Real Good

Participant

Problem is our front 7 the two best players GMC and David are mostly wasted in a 34.

I don't know. I'd say McCoy is pretty comparable to Darnell Dockett who has moved back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4 and 3-4 teams have been playing speedy pursuit players at ILB for a while like Jerod Mayo, Lawrence Timmons, and Bruce Carter.

• Skull and Bones

Participant

When is the last time this franchise drafted a dominant DE for their 4-3 scheme?  I’m guessing LeRoy Selmon almost 40 years ago.  Other than about a 5 year window over a decade ago we haven’t made it work .  Blow the whole damn thing up and start over for all I care.

• warrenfb12

Participant

nope dont like any of themwhy is seattle's DC ready? One year? Talent is obviously the reason the defense is so good.

• BucD

Participant

Greg Roman…yes please…I mean Doug Martin and Mariota under Roman could be pretty awesome...

• Hate

Participant

3. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans Saints’ offensive coordinator Is there an offense that has been more consistently productive than New Orleans? Throughout the Saints’ historic success, Carmichael has been overseeing the group. In his fifth season as the offensive coordinator, Carmichael has been dialing up game plans that have emphasized  QB Drew Brees’ accuracy. The Saints have done it without a marquee WR, instead using a rotation of talented wideouts. Under Carmichael, TE Jimmy Graham has become one of the NFL’s most dangerous weapons. The Saints have ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, and Carmichael is a big reason why.

I'd like to see him without Drew Brees before i crown him

• Richie Cartman

Participant

There needs to be a “Hire the right Greg,” campaign.Greg+Roman.jpg

• chace1986

Participant

Having dominant road grating OLmen is a significant contributor to their rushing success. Not sure I’m buying into Roman.  If we are grabbing an OC from the NFC West, it needs to be Bevell. Bevell, the guy who was standing on tables with a megaphone pleading for Russell Wilson.  Give me the guy with 8 years of OC experience as opposed to the guy who has rode the coat tails of Harbaugh to the 9ers(half joking).

• The Anti-Java

Participant

There needs to be a "Hire the right Greg," campaign.Greg+Roman.jpg

I was wondering what happened to George Constanza after that show finished.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.