Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

NFL Draft rumors: Browns QB dilemma; Garoppolo, McCarron value April 13, 2014 1:04 PM EDTEric Galko    Sporting News rum_zpsa0759999.jpgWe’re a little less than a month away from the 2014 NFL draft, but there’s still quite a bit teams need to gather about prospects before making decisions. Private workouts are finishing up, final scouting reports are being reviewed and team-by-team draft projections are being finalized for every NFL franchise. Where the quarterbacks land on draft day is still to be determined, but how teams view these passers is becoming clearer as the process continues. Could the Cleveland Browns have a split in the decision making when it comes to which passer they want? How do teams view AJ McCarron? What will the Jacksonville Jaguars do at No. 3 overall? And which two defensive linemen are highly viewed by NFL teams? rum1_zps8b1db16e.jpgBortles (AP Photo) — We’ll start with the quarterbacks, because that’s where most draft discussion starts. I’ve heard teams expect Blake Bortles to impress during private workouts thanks to his skill set and ideal size. Drafting a quarterback with clear developmental needs is concerning, but getting the chance to see them up close (and having your quarterback coach meet him) could work to ease teams’ minds about how far away he really is.— Jimmy Garoppolo is a coveted man, and he likely won’t last far into the second round ... if he gets there at all. After speaking with him, his coaches and teammates from his time in college and at all-star events, it’s clear he’s highly intelligent with legitimate leadership capabilities. More importantly, he’s a guy that his teammates respect and will “go to war with.”Dane Bruglar of CBS Sports echoed these thoughts. That may seem minor, but having a guy who can foster confidence through the locker room isn’t easy to find and could pay huge dividends. Just ask scouts how Joey Harrington and Blaine Gabbert’s lack of locker room confidence affected their development.— Even before news that AJ McCarron’s wedding to Katherine Webb would be made into reality TV show, teams had concerns about his ability to fit as a quarterback in an NFL locker room. He hasn’t drawn rave reviews as it relates to his character, and at least one team has dropped him significantly after meeting with him. Football IQ-wise, he may be the second most pro-ready quarterback in this class (behind Teddy Bridgewater), but teams may opt for upside over McCarron.— The Browns will draft a quarterback someplace in the top-40 picks. That seems clear. Which one might they target? That’s less clear. From what I’ve heard, the scouting staff may prefer Derek Carr and Garoppolo, both 26th or 35th overall targets. However, new coach Mike Pettine and owner Jimmy Haslam reportedly are excited about the potential of landing Johnny Manziel. Optimum Scouting has long had Manziel as the Browns pick at No. 26 overall because of these rumors. There’s simply not a clear team fit for Manziel in the first round.rum2_zpsace42fc9.jpgKhalil Mack (AP Photo)— The Minnesota Vikings have been most frequently linked to Zach Mettenberger in the second round, but they’ll strongly consider Carr if he’s available at No. 8 overall. Don’t be surprised if Carr goes above Manziel, and potentially is the first quarterback taken.— The Jaguars will fun to follow on draft day because they have a host of picks, including No. 3 overall. They could go a number of different ways. First, if Jadeveon Clowney is there, he’ll be the pick. After him, both Khalil Mack and Sammy Watkins are strong possibilities at third overall. I still think they consider a quarterback. Bridgewater has been their man since midseason, but that can change based on their recent private workouts. It wouldn’t be a shock if they passed on a quarterback in the first for Garoppolo in the second.— Jadeveon Clowney is by far the favorite to be the first overall pick, whether it’s the Houston Texans or Atlanta Falcons selecting. We could see Houston wait to be on the clock before pulling the trigger, hoping to garner as much trade interest as possible.— A Ryan Mallett trade isn’t dead … yet. The most likely scenario as of now is if the Texans miss out on their second-round quarterback target and instead opt to acquire him from the New England Patriots. Still, it seems unlikely.rum3_zps44b72941.jpgMettenberger (AP Photo) — Prime trade-up candidates (including into the top-10 picks): New York Giants (Greg Robinson, Mike Evans), Baltimore Ravens (Taylor Lewan, Mike Evans, Ra’Shede Hageman), Miami Dolphins (Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews), Arizona Cardinals (Anthony Barr, Taylor Lewan), Philadelphia Eagles (Odell Beckham, Anthony Barr) and the San Francisco 49ers (Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert).— Injury concerns every year drop players further than the media expects. Austin Seferian-Jenkins and C.J. Mosley are both contenders to slip a bit on draft day, especially Seferian-Jenkins.— Mike Evans and Anthony Barr aren’t easy to peg as to where they’ll land, but they seem to be the trendy “best player available” for teams that miss on their ideal draft picks. Evans could go as high as fourth overall to the Browns, while Barr has suitors at No. 7 (Bucs), No. 8 (Vikings), No. 11 (Titans), and No. 12 (Giants). The New York Jets could be a team to trade up if he starts to slip.— Ra’Shede Hageman and Kony Ealy both seem to be highly coveted, and both seem like strong top-20 possibilities. Hageman could go to the Titans and Giants, and I doubt he slips past the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 15. Ealy could have the Titans and Giants as suitors too, but the Dallas Cowboys and Cardinals are likely his two most likely options.— Despite being undersized and having more than a few teams remove him from their first-round discussion, Jason Verrett might have an outside shot at going in the first round. The Denver Broncos look like an intriguing target. If cornerbacks go early in the draft (three went in the top-15 in my recent mock draft), he’ll have options in the 25-35 range.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barr would be about as boring as a pick as possible. I know pass rush is important, but he doesn’t excite me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barr would be about as boring as a pick as possible. I know pass rush is important, but he doesn't excite me.

To suck like we did last year and end up with Barr would be one helluva let down. Our worst case scenario should be Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Barr , but we really need an offensive draft . Worst offense in the league last year. However I could see the pick happening if both WR’s and Manziel are gone and we can’t trade back.It's really hard to know how this draft is gonna fall . It's all going to depend on the QB's , and no one knows how teams really feel about these guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Barr , but we really need an offensive draft . Worst offense in the league last year. However I could see the pick happening if both WR's and Manziel are gone and we can't trade back.It's really hard to know how this draft is gonna fall . It's all going to depend on the QB's , and no one knows how teams really feel about these guys.

Agreed...the Bucs loaded up on D in Free Agency and now it is time to add to the O...I just cannot fathom the Bucs NOT selecting offensive players in the draft...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am starting to think Watkins falls to us.  Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we traded out of this pick either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our Defense looks pretty solid. I’m fairly comfortable with all our positions and our depth is far better on defense than offense. I hope for an offensive draft, but if it is a defensive guy at 7 I prefer Donald or Mack (he’s not an ideal scheme fit and he’s small for a DE but I just think the dude will be a star and I hope Atlanta doesn’t take him). I think LnL have set us up nicely to be able to patch up our offense and give Tedford something solid to work with in the draft. I’d prefer Evans/a QB/ Watkins/ Robinson/ Ebron over Barr any day. Barr would be a serious let down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barr is a guy who just doesn’t do anything for me. I read Steve white’s breakdown and I think I understand why. The guy shows up occasionally and looks great when he does it but during a game he just doesn’t show up all that often.  That scares me.  He sounds like a guy who might drop 10 sacks but not have much more than that in terms of pressures and hits and knock downs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t like Barr very much but he still has potential to be really good. It’s not like we’re talking about some fifth year senior like Robert Ayers who flashed a little at the end of his career or someone like Dion Jordan who never did anything. Barr is young and has a ton of upside and unlike a lot of upside picks, has also produced a ton.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am starting to think Watkins falls to us.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we traded out of this pick either.

As a team we're never that lucky. I just can't see Sammy there for us. I could see Atlanta trying to screw us too, if they don't trade up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am starting to think Watkins falls to us.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we traded out of this pick either.

As a team we're never that lucky. I just can't see Sammy there for us. I could see Atlanta trying to screw us too, if they don't trade up.

I've heard the Atlanta rumors up here as well. WOuldn't surprise me if they did.  I think all of the top 3 QB's get  drafted. Clowney, Mack and Robinson potentially have Watkins falling to us. We'll see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's a deep WR draft.... if the guy you really want isn't there, find a dance partner and move down....an extra 3rd pick wouldn't hurt...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@NFL_DraftGuy: From what I hear and I think, the Bucs will trade up to grab @sammywatkins. My guess is with the Rams. #NFLDraft

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@NFL_DraftGuy: From what I hear and I think, the Bucs will trade up to grab @sammywatkins. My guess is with the Rams. #NFLDraft

That's the upside of having so many picks to bundle up and trade with!!!! Wait.... ???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a real hard time believing that after acquiring extra picks, that L&L would trade them all away for Watkins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We still have too much to address to trade up for ANYONE. Having said that, Watkins would be fantastic. Just not at a trade up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am starting to think Watkins falls to us. 

If that happens, there will be cartwheels!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans would be better if they have their eyes on a wr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We still have too much to address to trade up for ANYONE. Having said that, Watkins would be fantastic. Just not at a trade up.

Teams have holes every year. They aren't going to fill them all. If there's a player they really want, its quite possible. I would think they would do that for a qb more than a wr though.It's in the realm of reality that the bucs tried to acquire more pics for ammo to go get their guy. A couple mid-late round depth guys that are likely to not even be on the 45 man game day roster in exchange for a franchise qb(in the staffs mind anyways) is a simple decision. Get your qb.I don't see them trading up for a wr with glennon and McCown as their QBs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's the upside of having so many picks to bundle up and trade with!!!! Wait.... ???

As much as I would love to have Watkins... We aren't exactly swimming in draft picks this year. Considering the depth at WR we can always take a very quality wideout in the second round or get Evans at #7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trading up for Watkins would be an awful move. 1. Even if Watkins doesn't fall to 7, Mike Evans most likely will and I would be very happy with him. 2. We don't have many draft picks to be throwing away on 1 player this year.3. If we're going to trade up for anyone, it should be a QB that L&L are sold on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t believe we will trade up unless they are in love with JFF and want to leapfrog Cleveland.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be shocked if the Bucs moved up to draft anyone. We simply don’t have enough picks and too many holes to fill.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't believe we will trade up unless they are in love with JFF and want to leapfrog Cleveland.

Yup. It's the only reason they would trade up. It would have to be for a qb, because this draft is too deep at wideout to jump all-in on one guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't believe we will trade up unless they are in love with JFF and want to leapfrog Cleveland.

Yup. It's the only reason they would trade up. It would have to be for a qb, because this draft is too deep at wideout to jump all-in on one guy.

+1 especially not a draft with heavy depth at WR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht appears to be aggressive and a risk taker.    I just don't see the move...  2 firsts ...  Not a value move.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht appears to be aggressive and a risk taker.   

I'll bite.....what are you basing this on?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I should have prefaced the comment that Licht is aggressive when compared to Dominik.  MD has very low risk approach (until the last two years trying to save his job.)He confidently discusses what they might do, and I don't get  'salesman' or 'politician' vibe  with him. (Very much so with MD)Surprised by how aggressive he was in FA.  Maybe its wishful thinking, but I think LnLnT have an aggressive plan overall and we've only seen the beginning of it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of all things, trading up for a wide reciever is insane under normal circumstances. In this draft, it is madness.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would find out which QB the Browns are interested in, then stay the hell away from him.  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way we trade up for a wr. Trading up for Bridgewater or JFF is more likely, i expect us to be aggressive.

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.