Viewing 41 reply threads

• Author

• buccaneer4ever

Participant

12341234_zpsa1d60cbd.jpgThe NFL’s initial argument in response to the concussion lawsuits is that there should be no concussion lawsuits.  Specifically, the league argues that the labor agreement requires these claims to be pursued via private arbitration.It’s a forum far more favorable to employers and business interests, putting the issue in the hands of a retired judge or lawyer and avoiding a jury, which often decides civil cases based on notions of sympathy to the injured and/or a desire to redistribute wealth.The primary concussion litigation, with more than 4,000 plaintiffs, resulted in a proposed nationwide settlement before the question could be resolved as to whether the cases should be kicked out of court.  Now, via NFLConcussionLitigation.com, one of the other concussion cases has survived the NFL’s effort to deliver an early knockout punch.The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, in a case brought by receiver Roy Green (pictured) and other former members of the St. Louis (now Arizona) Cardinals, concluded that the lawsuit may proceed in Missouri state court.  Which means that the discovery process will proceed.Which means that the NFL has moved closer to the day on which it will have to disclose what it knew and when it knew it about the long-term risks of concussions.The outcome also could result in the plaintiffs in the settled case to quit trying to persuade Judge Anita Brody to approve the settlement, opting instead to proceed with the litigation.  If the players in that case secure the same victory Roy Green and others have realized in Missouri, the value of the claims would potentially skyrocket.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/14/nfl-suffers-major-setback-in-concussion-case/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

money grab!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Absolutely unreal to me that these players didn’t think there would be issues from smashing their heads together for years. I have sympathy for them and think Goodell is the closest thing America has to Satan, but no way should the players be able to sue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bottom line is nothing good for this type of case comes to either the NFL, the players nor the fans. The lawyers will make out like bandits about it. Thing is there is nothing the league can do about this. There is no padding to stop concussions, nothing except to not have very fast men suddenly stop going very fast.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the leagues biggest threat IMO. And they are plenty concerned about it.  Hence the new rules about hits to the head, and other rules regarding violent hits on defenseless players.Its Goodell's biggest obstacle to overcome IMO.    He has cleaned up the league quite a bit, Tagliabue [sp?] let players run wild. When he was Commish, it was not uncommon to have guys in the league with dozens and dozens of arrest on their record. So, Goodell has done a good job cleaning things up, but this concussion thing is big. He will need to address it at some point. But, his 40mil salary per year is why he is faced with big problems, and expected to solve them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can I sue my high school and college? I’m sure I’ve had a couple concussions. I think it’s BS they can sue the NFL, they shouldn’t spend crazy and go broke before retiring.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone needs to tell McMahon that his “illness” of not remembering every little detail like he did when he was young is a symptom of getting older.    I’ve never had a concussion in my life and I also forget people’s names fairly quickly after meeting them the first time and forget phone messages if I don’t write them down at times.  McMahon was an awesome player, but come on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should not be able to sue.  I feel for the former players who primarily played back when the NFL was first starting as they didnt make a ton of money and had jobs in the off season.  The NFLPA should step in and make their members donate a % of each check (pre tax) to a fund designated to the health and care of NFL veterans.  If not for them, the pay would not be where it is today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bottom line is nothing good for this type of case comes to either the NFL, the players nor the fans. The lawyers will make out like bandits about it.

true

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

why not sue their college, high school or pop warner? Not enuff money there?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm stunned at this point no one has used a college or the NCAA the are a lot, the vast majority of football players, who never make the NFL and obviously even more who just played in high school and there were always plenty of guys getting their bells rung at those two levels.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

in a word, yesbut I think the broader argument would be those entities didnt profit while allegedly knowing they were harming the player .. I think that is the "hook" in the NFL cases

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

those entities didnt profit

You don't know much about college football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

in a word, yesbut I think the broader argument would be those entities didnt profit while allegedly knowing they were harming the player .. I think that is the "hook" in the NFL cases

They profit big time, and the players get zero. That is what the players union case is all about.  Texas A&M is renovating their stadium right now, to the tune of 240mil IIRC. Thanks JFF.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Java, you suck as a troll, but editing my comment to troll? Really?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Texas A&M is renovating their stadium right now, to the tune of 240mil IIRC. Thanks JFF.

The Bucs could be getting a new stadium as well soon if they had the common sense to draft Johnny Football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They profit big time, and the players get zero. That is what the players union case is all about.  Texas A&M is renovating their stadium right now, to the tune of 240mil IIRC. Thanks JFF.

lol  I guess I shouldve added the bold

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

in a word, yesbut I think the broader argument would be those entities didn't profit while allegedly knowing they were harming the player .. I think that is the "hook" in the NFL cases

lol  I guess I shouldve added the bold

Who doesn't know multiple concussions are bad news? Even PeeWee football coaches are aware of that.    NCAA football is worse than the NFL in regards to concussions.  You play a few years in the NFL, you may end up with scrambled eggs for a brain, but at least you got paid.A college player could end up the same way, and never make a dime for his troubles.                               

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

missing the hook though

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder if they have hooked up some sort of light weight sensors in various places along the inside of the helm for an entire season?Seems like they could do that for a couple of years, in various positions, and one or two players in each team. After getting a good barometer of what hits could constitute a concussion, they could then tally up the hit totals and impact strength. It would let them know where they get hit more often, and what areas need to be protected better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

money grab!!!

A former player I know, who is involved in the suit, has in a not so perfect a way, the same thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You play the game, your chances of suffering brain trauma is relatively good.People know the deal.It is a risk the players take, but they get to do things that most men will never ever be able to do.  And get paid handsomely for it.  So these dudes go out and get their bells rung.To sue the league is a absolute travesty.  I mean, if I got my bell rung hard enough, but a Doc was about to clear me to play because I followed his finger in a vision test, but I was still off, I would sit my ass down and get an MRI.  The thought of dementia is terrifying!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder if they have hooked up some sort of light weight sensors in various places along the inside of the helm for an entire season?Seems like they could do that for a couple of years, in various positions, and one or two players in each team. After getting a good barometer of what hits could constitute a concussion, they could then tally up the hit totals and impact strength. It would let them know where they get hit more often, and what areas need to be protected better.

They have already done all that stuff bro. They did a study from 96 to 2001, and counted 900 concussions in that time frame. That led to Riddell [sp?] to redesign helmets. An interesting finding in that study was, players are less likely to get a concussion when playing at higher altitudes. And if you had a concussion, you are more likely to get a 2nd one, than the guy who never had one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about Boxing? These guys get punched in the head over and over for many years. Why don’t they sue?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about Boxing? These guys get punched in the head over and over for many years. Why don't they sue?

Muhammad Ali should.  He had his brains knocked out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well you certainly don't...only a handful of programs operate in the red. Much of that money is donations from Alumni in the name of the school.  People see those big TV contracts and don't understand that FOOTBALL funds ALL the other sports at a university combined(mens and womens).  There's no money.  It is a fallacy.  The NCAA doesn't keep it in  a safe somewhere.  Those monies are redistributed BACK TO THE SCHOOLS.  Do you know how much it costs to run all those other sports?Which brings me to Title IX...end of story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't have the books in front of me but those type of renovations are almost 100% AA donations from Alumni through fundraisers.  Double check but I'm 100% sure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well you certainly don't...only a handful of programs operate in the red. Much of that money is donations from Alumni in the name of the school.  People see those big TV contracts and don't understand that FOOTBALL funds ALL the other sports at a university combined(mens and womens).  There's no money.  It is a fallacy.  The NCAA doesn't keep it in  a safe somewhere.  Those monies are redistributed BACK TO THE SCHOOLS.  Do you know how much it costs to run all those other sports?Which brings me to Title IX...end of story.

I think you may be under estimating the $$$$$$ they take in. While that is true that the football programs fund the entire sports programs at universities, its pocket change.  Lets take for example, BamaTicket sales..............................................    $28milGetting compensated for away games........ $5500Donations..................................................... $29milTV money.......................................................$9milSelling Crimson Tide merchandise................$5milThere are a few other things they profit from, but all tolled, its in the neighborhood of $125mil.  That is how A&M can afford a $240 mil upgrade of their stadium. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think you may be under estimating the $$$$$$ they take in. While that is true that the football programs fund the entire sports programs at universities, its pocket change.  Lets take for example, BamaTicket sales..............................................    $28milGetting compensated for away games........ $5500Donations..................................................... $29milTV money.......................................................$9milSelling Crimson Tide merchandise................$5milThere are a few other things they profit from, but all tolled, its in the neighborhood of $125mil.  That is how A&M can afford a $240 mil upgrade of their stadium.

Bama is one of 5-10 schools operating in the red...how about all the others that BORROW money from the institution.  You used one of the top schools and are trying to apply that to everyone.  And list all the expenditures please...I know UF donates a small surplus to a scholarship fund with their extra money.Get the numbers and come back with a real argument.  I've done all this on the Gator board...the money isn't there without getting rid of sports.  You wouldn't believe what it cost to run men's and women's golf teams or soccer...there's no hidden treasure.PS You can find out where the bulk of that stadium money came on google...going to bed.  Betting it was almost all donations earmarked for those renovations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bama is one of 5-10 schools operating in the red...how about all the others that BORROW money from the institution.  You used one of the top schools and are trying to apply that to everyone.  And list all the expenditures please...I know UF donates a small surplus to a scholarship fund with their extra money.Get the numbers and come back with a real argument.  I've done all this on the Gator board...the money isn't there without getting rid of sports.  You wouldn't believe what it cost to run men's and women's golf teams or soccer...there's no hidden treasure.PS You can find out where the bulk of that stadium money came on google...going to bed.  Betting it was almost all donations earmarked for those renovations.

Expenditures?  That is a list of some of their revenue. Not expenditures.Bama is actually not the top school. Its down the list a bit.  Schools like Ohio State {16mil TV money}, and the Tar Heels {11mil TV money}, get more than the Tide. How much do you figure it cost to run a golf team or soccer team?  The bigger schools are approaching the 100mil mark in total revenue. And even the bottom dwellers on the top 40 list, are taking in close to the 50mil mark. Schools like the Indiana Hoosiers, Washington Huskies, Cal Golden Bears, and Virginia Cavs.  And I assume you are talking about the Aggies stadium?  That is being paid for by ticket sales, seat licenses, media rights money [TV money] and they have a deal in place with the convention and visitors bureau, that will use hotel and tax revenue for the next 30 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Expenditures?  That is a list of some of their revenue. Not expenditures.Bama is actually not the top school. Its down the list a bit.  Schools like Ohio State {16mil TV money}, and the Tar Heels {11mil TV money}, get more than the Tide. How much do you figure it cost to run a golf team or soccer team?  The bigger schools are approaching the 100mil mark in total revenue. And even the bottom dwellers on the top 40 list, are taking in close to the 50mil mark. Schools like the Indiana Hoosiers, Washington Huskies, Cal Golden Bears, and Virginia Cavs.  And I assume you are talking about the Aggies stadium?  That is being paid for by ticket sales, seat licenses, media rights money [TV money] and they have a deal in place with the convention and visitors bureau, that will use hotel and tax revenue for the next 30 years.

Having studied this topic extensively when I worked in an AD...I will say that most FBS schools have 1 or 2 programs that make money.  Those that make money have to cover for all the rest who dont.  I played/worked at a smaller school and basically Football operating in the black had to pay for the rest of the sports operating in the red (black is good, red is bad).  The number of schools who's AD operates in the black has grown since I was doing my studies, at that time it was only 12 in the entire Div 1A (before they moved to FBS/FCS).  I think the number now is up to 25-35...but that is still a far cry from the 120+ schools in the top division, then looking at all the lower levels makes it pretty overwhelming. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Having studied this topic extensively when I worked in an AD...I will say that most FBS schools have 1 or 2 programs that make money.  Those that make money have to cover for all the rest who dont.  I played/worked at a smaller school and basically Football operating in the black had to pay for the rest of the sports operating in the red (black is good, red is bad).  The number of schools who's AD operates in the black has grown since I was doing my studies, at that time it was only 12 in the entire Div 1A (before they moved to FBS/FCS).  I think the number now is up to 25-35...but that is still a far cry from the 120+ schools in the top division, then looking at all the lower levels makes it pretty overwhelming.

I meant black...thanks.  This magic money isn't there.  Football players getting paid crowd does not understand the basic math involved.  FOOTBALL FUNDS ALL THE OTHER SPORTS AT A UNIVERSITY.  PERIOD.  There's no hidden shell game or offshore accounts.  Ask anyone in the know and they'll tell you the same.  People see millions and billions and assume it is lining a bunch of old white dudes pockets...it's not.  Wake up.  Title IX will never let you cut women's lacrosse to pay football players.  It will never happen...ever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I meant black...thanks.  This magic money isn't there.  Football players getting paid crowd does not understand the basic math involved.  FOOTBALL FUNDS ALL THE OTHER SPORTS AT A UNIVERSITY.  PERIOD.  There's no hidden shell game or offshore accounts.  Ask anyone in the know and they'll tell you the same.  People see millions and billions and assume it is lining a bunch of old white dudes pockets...it's not.  Wake up.  Title IX will never let you cut women's lacrosse to pay football players.  It will never happen...ever.

Bingo.  Plus, right now we have more parody in CFB than ever before and that is a good thing.  When you start paying, then the Bama, Miami, USC, Texas, FSU, Ohio St things of the world will have nothing but 5 star classes.  Its funny to hear the same people who hate the Yankees and their spending say that CFB players need to be paid...ironic.I am in the camp that college athletes could use a bump in stipends...but thats all of them.  I was one of them and there is a struggle when you cant work, parents dont give you money, and you arent at one of the super schools.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bingo.  Plus, right now we have more parody in CFB than ever before and that is a good thing.  When you start paying, then the Bama, Miami, USC, Texas, FSU, Ohio St things of the world will have nothing but 5 star classes.  Its funny to hear the same people who hate the Yankees and their spending say that CFB players need to be paid...ironic.I am in the camp that college athletes could use a bump in stipends...but thats all of them.  I was one of them and there is a struggle when you cant work, parents dont give you money, and you arent at one of the super schools.

If Manziel had been drafted in the Top 10, I would have to agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think most everyone understands that.  What I am asking is, how much do you think it cost to fund all the other sports?  With the bigger programs pulling in close to 100mil, what percentage of that, do you think they spend on funding the other sports?1%10%25%50%100%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think most everyone understands that.  What I am asking is, how much do you think it cost to fund all the other sports?  With the bigger programs pulling in close to 100mil, what percentage of that, do you think they spend on funding the other sports?1%10%25%50%100%

You're not making sense...it doesn't matter the percentage.  The fact is all the money is accounted for and there isn't some crazy surplus.  Do the research...its not cheap to field a gymnastics team or womens lacrosse.  Who cares where the money goes?  It is all being spent.  Are you saying spend less on teh other sports and spend even more on football?  LOL!  Title IX is not your friend.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're not making sense...it doesn't matter the percentage.  The fact is all the money is accounted for and there isn't some crazy surplus.  Do the research...its not cheap to field a gymnastics team or womens lacrosse.  Who cares where the money goes?  It is all being spent.  Are you saying spend less on teh other sports and spend even more on football?  LOL!  Title IX is not your friend.

No Sir, I wasn't saying spend more on football.  IIRC, this discussion started with the comment that A&M is renovating their stadium at a cost of 240mil. And correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you stated that stadium renovation money, had nothing to do with TV money.  It was all donations. And all I am saying is that Aggies program pulls in close to 100mil per year. And donations are only approximately 25% of that.  And if I am reading you right, you are suggesting big time NCAA football programs are so strapped after funding the other sports, they have nothing left?  If that is accurate, that is where I disagree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you look at these fundraisers for new practice facilities, etc…most are funded by donations at least here at UF.  Not saying it is the same everywhere.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you look at these fundraisers for new practice facilities, etc...most are funded by donations at least here at UF.  Not saying it is the same everywhere.

Fair point.  But if big time college football programs are planning on using that as a defense, if they get to court over the paying players class action lawsuit, they would get laughed out of the courtroom.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One copuld easily make an argument that upkeep of facilities is part of the cost of doing business.  There’s no way that the players win a class action lawsuit.  Not a chance in hell.

Please wait…

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.