Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Nick Foles compares with 2nd year Buccaneer QB Mike Glennon in several ways.  For starters, both were drafted in the 3rd round.Comparing the two rookie seasons:Glennon started 13 games, Foles started 6 games and played about 2 and a half quarters in another...Glennon had a better passer rating (83.9 to 79.1), Foles had a better completion percentage (60.8 to 59.4)...Glennon had a better TD percentage (4.6 to 2.3), Foles had a better INT percentage (1.9 to 2.2)...Those are all pretty close comparisons, but:Glennon threw 2 TDs in his 13 games, Foles only once in his 6.67 games...Glennon had 2 of his 13 games when he didn't throw a TD, that happened to Foles in 2 of his 6.67 games.Glennon was a winner in 4 games as a starter, Foles won once...Just as Glennon was short on surrounding playmakers (I won't go over it again), Foles was missing LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson... among others.Both of them had their head coaches get fired.  Both of them got offensive coordinators from the college ranks. Neither was drafted for their "fit" in their new schemes.  While Glennon has yet to play his second season, look at what Foles did in 2013:Pro Bowl...27 TDs... 8th in the NFL.119.2 passer rating... 1st in the NFL, 3rd all-time...64.0% completion rate...8th in the NFL.0.6% passing INT percentage...2nd in the NFL, 3rd all-time...8.5% passing TD percentage...1st in th NFL, 22nd all-time...Does this mean Glennon will make the same progress from year 1 to year 2 that Foles did?  No guarantee... But, it makes me wonder... "What if"?  "What does Tedford have"? Enjoy the fireworks!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Except Foles can run and avoid sacks

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Comparing their rookie seasons, Foles was sacked half as many times as Glennon in half the games…  and Foles is far from a running QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Foles is very efficient, he’s what I think McCown’s upside should be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon will actually probably better at it than Foles.  The dismissal of a QB with Glennon's rookie #s has never happened in the history of the modern era, there's a reason for that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon will actually probably better at it than Foles.  The dismissal of a QB with Glennon's rookie #s has never happened in the history of the modern era, there's a reason for that.

I hope he gets better, because  other than inexperience that is his weakest part of his game

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Comparing rookie stats is a completely useless task, hell stats in general are fairly useless because they are just number on a page and don’t give an overall picture.You could pull up Matt Staffords yardage & TDs for his career and when measured against Brady & Mannings early years Stafford would look like the best of the 3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Comparing rookie stats is a completely useless task, hell stats in general are fairly useless because they are just number on a page and don't give an overall picture.You could pull up Matt Staffords yardage & TDs for his career and when measured against Brady & Mannings early years Stafford would look like the best of the 3.

While I agree, the whole picture has not been painted in 13 games either.  We are on this board lauding a journeyman that for every TD he's thrown, he's thrown a pic yet our rookie QB that threw for more TD's last season than this journeyman ever has in his career is some how worthless and should go die in a corner. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Comparing rookie stats is a completely useless task, hell stats in general are fairly useless because they are just number on a page and don't give an overall picture.You could pull up Matt Staffords yardage & TDs for his career and when measured against Brady & Mannings early years Stafford would look like the best of the 3.

Well, I did include a comparison between the two situations the rookies faced... But, I think the three QBs you added make a better case for the statistical comparisons.  All of them had their best improvement between their rookie and second seasons.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nick Foles compares with 2nd year Buccaneer QB Mike Glennon in several ways.  For starters, both were drafted in the 3rd round.Comparing the two rookie seasons:Glennon started 13 games, Foles started 6 games and played about 2 and a half quarters in another...Glennon had a better passer rating (83.9 to 79.1), Foles had a better completion percentage (60.8 to 59.4)...Glennon had a better TD percentage (4.6 to 2.3), Foles had a better INT percentage (1.9 to 2.2)...Those are all pretty close comparisons, but:Glennon threw 2 TDs in his 13 games, Foles only once in his 6.67 games...Glennon had 2 of his 13 games when he didn't throw a TD, that happened to Foles in 2 of his 6.67 games.Glennon was a winner in 4 games as a starter, Foles won once...Just as Glennon was short on surrounding playmakers (I won't go over it again), Foles was missing LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson... among others.Both of them had their head coaches get fired.  Both of them got offensive coordinators from the college ranks. Neither was drafted for their "fit" in their new schemes.  While Glennon has yet to play his second season, look at what Foles did in 2013:Pro Bowl...27 TDs... 8th in the NFL.119.2 passer rating... 1st in the NFL, 3rd all-time...64.0% completion rate...8th in the NFL.0.6% passing INT percentage...2nd in the NFL, 3rd all-time...8.5% passing TD percentage...1st in th NFL, 22nd all-time...Does this mean Glennon will make the same progress from year 1 to year 2 that Foles did?  No guarantee... But, it makes me wonder... "What if"?  "What does Tedford have"? Enjoy the fireworks!

Amazing the differences you can have when you see that one guy had an incompetent H.C. who was mediocre even in college, and an innovative H.C. who was elite in college... isn't it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one compares to Nick Doles because the vast majority of mid round picks who so not play well as rookies do not suddenly become really good the next year. The majority of them stay bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one compares to Nick Doles because the vast majority of mid round picks who so not play well as rookies do not suddenly become really good the next year. The majority of them stay bad.

Glennon by any rookie account didn't play poorly.  In fact any QB that played comparable to Glennon went on to have more success their second season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s simply no correlation between how a QB plays as a rookie and the rest of his career. Some stay the same, some get better, and some get worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They also both look like Napoleon Dynamite.Coincidence ? I think not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To be fair, one looks like the actor that plays Napoleon Dynamite, the other looks like Napoleon Dynamite.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That borders on proof positive that I should go edit the op with: No guarantee  8)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bingo!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate gonna hate .tumblr_inline_mvlafu91QM1rynlhg.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bingo!!

^^^^^doesn't really know the game, just knows how to hate^^^^^  Remember, Glennon has only played 13 more games under center in the NFL than you have. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At least Glennon broke the 5 second 40 barrier at the combine…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon mentored behind Josh Freeman & Dan Orlovsky as a rookie. His rookie season is all the more remarkable because of that. Lovie knows exactly what he’s doing; bringing in a very mature-minded, leadership-oriented, experienced QB as a mentor for Glennon. It’s a matter of time before Glennon will take his place again in the huddle, and be that much better for it. And I’m impressed by Lovie’s QB coach, Mark Arroyo, as well…

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.