Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• kenntak

Participant

I was curious, so I put together a list of quarterbacks who have played significantly this season, and who were not drafted in the first round. There are some good ones on there.

Cousins 4th
      Andy Dalton 2nd
      Case Keenum undrafted
      Derek Carr 2nd
      Tom Brady 6th
      Drew Brees 2nd
      Dak Prescott 4th
      Russell Wilson 3rd
      C.J. Beathard 3rd
      Brock Osweiler 2nd
      Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd
      Tyrod Taylor 6th
      Ryan Fitzpatrick 7th
      Nick Foles 3rd

• TBChucky

Participant

Definitely takes a lot of luck to find one out of the first round. Personally I’d be fine waiting until the second or third round and drafting a future guy. Try to bring Fitz back, or sign another veteran to shoulder the load until the kid is ready. We’ve got Plenty of offensive talent, we’d be pretty good even with a solid QB moving forward IMO. Use our premium picks to fill holes on Defense and Offensive line.

• bculaw

Participant

It won’t matter what young QB we bring in. Until we fix the bones, the body will always be broken.

O-line, defense, run game, THEN young QB.  And even then, he needs to be groomed as a game manager before being given the keys to the kingdom.

This is a franchise with a flawed plan when it comes to grooming young players.

• Roy

Participant

The last four  years of non-1st round QBs.  Read ’em and weep.

3 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma State Pittsburgh Steelers

4 108 Kyle Lauletta QB Richmond New York Giants

5 171 Mike White QB Western Kentucky Dallas Cowboys

6 199 Luke Falk QB Washington State Tennessee Titans

6 203 Tanner Lee QB Nebraska Jacksonville Jaguars

7 219 Danny Etling QB LSU New England Patriots

7 220 Alex McGough QB Florida International Seattle Seahawks

7 249 Logan Woodside  QB Toledo Cincinnati Bengals

2 52 DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame Cleveland Browns

3 87 Davis Webb QB California New York Giants

3 104 C.J. Beathard QB Iowa San Francisco 49ers

4 135 Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee Pittsburgh Steelers

5 171 Nathan Peterman QB Pittsburgh Buffalo Bills

6 215 Brad Kaaya QB Miami (Fla.) Detroit Lions

7 253 Chad Kelly QB Mississippi Denver Broncos

2 51 Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State New York Jets

3 91 Jacoby Brissett QB North Carolina State New England Patriots

3 93 Cody Kessler QB USC Cleveland Browns

4 100 Connor Cook QB Michigan State Oakland Raiders

4 135 Dak Prescott QB Mississippi State Dallas Cowboys

4 139 Cardale Jones QB Ohio State Buffalo Bills

5 162 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford Kansas City Chiefs

6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana Washington Redskins

6 191 Jake Rudock QB Michigan Detroit Lions

6 201 Brandon Allen QB Arkansas Jacksonville Jaguars

6 207 Jeff Driskel QB Louisiana Tech San Francisco 49ers

7 223 Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky Miami Dolphins

3 75 Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State New Orleans Saints

3 89 Sean Mannion QB Oregon State St. Louis Rams

4 103 Bryce Petty QB Baylor New York Jets

5 147 Brett Hundley QB UCLA Green Bay Packers

7 250 Trevor Siemian QB Northwestern Denver Broncos

• Biggs3535

Participant

Obviously, the best QB’s are taken high.  However, most of that list were never drafted to be starters.  Teams are looking for backup QB’s later in the draft.

• Roy

Participant

Well that’s why you only see a few quarterbacks drafted in the 2nd round.  If the guy is going to be a franchise quarterback somebody is going to spend a first round pick on him.  If he is going to be a  mediocre quarterback why bother?  Draft picks need to be used on players who play.  It takes a lot of time and resources to develop somebody just to hold a Surface Tablet on the sidelines.  Look at how much has been put into developing Ryan Griffin, and if the coach is fired and a new offensive system is installed it could all be for nothing.  That’s why guys like Mike Glennon are earning the big bucks.  Its better to get a backup who is proven and experienced rather than try to get one in the draft.

The draft has more discarded garbage than a Mount Everest base camp when it comes to quarterbacks.  So if the Bucs are looking to get their next starting quarterback in the middle of round 2 all I can say is good luck.

• BucBalla85

Participant

We have great weapons for whoever comes in next. We just need the next guy to take care of the ball and have an ability to be accurate with the football. Also would be good if he could get rid of the ball quickly too.

• Defense5599

Blocked

I say tank next year, stockpile picks, then grab Tua from Bama #1 overall in 2020

• Roy

Participant

I say tank next year, stockpile picks, then grab Tua from Bama #1 overall in 2020

OK sure. I’ve heard this a couple of times.  Lets look at this, because we’ll have to really do a thorough job of tanking to get the 1st pick.  The good news is we can win as many games as we can this year

2018 offseason) You have to get rid of Mike Evans, Lavonte David and any other player who prefers to play on a winning team.  They won’t be buying into your tanking plan.

2019)  If you win 2 games you just screwed yourself because you aren’t the only team in the Tua sweepstakes.  Record 1-16.  What head coach would take this assignment?  Whoever it is you can fire them at the end of the year.

2020) You have a nice rookie quarterback and a new coach.  You have to give him the reigns right away, but the whole team is still crap in a bucket.  You aren’t tanking anymore, so you may win two games against teams who are.  Record 2-14.

2021)   If all goes well you start to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  These young players are playing hard.  You win 5 games.  The coach is on the hot seat, but whats new in Buccaneerland.

2022)  If all goes well, your team is pushing 500 and is as good as the 2018 Bucs!   And it only took four years!

This is a great idea.  Lets go for three or four more years of losing!  Then we’ll be sitting pretty!  What could go wrong?

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the season ended today, your Bucs would be drafting 15th….and this is what NFL.com says about the team right now…
      Record: 3-4 (.558)
      Previous week: No. 18
      This week’s game: at Panthers
      Biggest needs: CB, S, QB

What a mess. Unless Jameis Winston suddenly figures things out, the Bucs could be going back to the drawing board at QB this offseason. Then again, he might not get another chance to do so with Tampa Bay, which is turning back to 35-year-old free-agent-to-be Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. The defense continues to stink up the joint (no team has allowed more points this season). Remember when the Bucs were 2-0?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000969335/article/2019-nfl-draft-order-team-needs-49ers-no-1-jaguars-in-top-10

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is not a team that needs to tank. We just need solid (not spectacular) QB play and a fix for the defense. Davis is looking legit at CB but we need another CB and a Safety to clean up the secondary. We need a new MLB since I doubt we re-sign Kwon. LT and RG may be our biggest needs though. Smith isn’t worth a big contract so we will need to replace him. Dotson is long in the tooth and Bennenoch is hot trash at RG. We need a lot of stuff but I wouldn’t draft QB next year. I’d re-sign Fitz and Griffin and plug as many of those holes I mentioned CB,S,MLB, RG,LT.

• Pepsi

Participant

we have Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate, and Hump for a while dudes. We dont even need some special QB to rock on offense. hence why Fitzpatrick looks like a HOFer. all we need is a QB whos not throwing to the opposing team.

• tog

Participant

The last four years of non-1st round QBs. Read ’em and weep.

….

Meh, there’s a huge flaw in your list.

1) QBs drafted after the 2nd are by design (like all players drafted later) more developmental projects. So saying that QBs drafted last year or the year before having turned into studs says nothing about drafting a QB later.

For example, the Steelers didn’t draft Joshua Dobbs to start but to backup Roethlisberger and see if they can develop him into a viable starter.

The Patriots have done this successfully twice now with Garoppolo (2nd) and Brissett (3rd).

2) Most QBs, 1st or otherwise, don’t hit.

QBs taken 1st round 2013-2016
      : EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch.

9 players, 2 good picks. In fact, in 2014 with 3 1st round QBs the two best players were taken in the 2nd (Carr, Garoppolo).

The reality is its hard to draft and develop a QB and most teams suck at it.

• tog

Participant

It won’t matter what young QB we bring in. Until we fix the bones, the body will always be broken.

O-line, defense, run game, THEN young QB. And even then, he needs to be groomed as a game manager before being given the keys to the kingdom.

This is a franchise with a flawed plan when it comes to grooming young players.

I think this is wrong. First, because you’ll always have holes at various positions.

You need to draft a QB as often as possible until you hit. Because there aren’t many good ones out there and when you have a chance you take it.

I don’t care if the Bucs have the worst offense and defense in the NFL with 7th round picks at WR – if there’s a talented QB you take it.

On top of which no QB, outside of Goff, is in that position. Every team has holes on its OL or defense or run game.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I dont think Tanking is necessary. Also draft is a crap shoot. Too many good teams that are drafting late are still coming up with gems later. We just need to be better in general areas. Need to be better in turnover battle. Need to get to the passer better. Need to defend the pass better. Need to run the ball better. That sounds like a lot but even if we are a little better there the rest of talent is enough to have a really solid team. Its not going to be easy by any means, but its not that as far off as some people think it is.

• Roy

Participant

Sure a couple of them may develop.  Many others are already gone from their original team.  Webb, Cook, Kizer , Cardale Jones are examples.  The point is to have them develop for your team, not another team.  Josh Dobbs may develop, but the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph for some reason.   But sure there might be a couple of those guys who will eventually turn into decent NFL starting quarterbacks for the teams who drafted them.  Not many.

The original poster on this board is implying that the Bucs can find their next QB on day 2 or later.  Frankly its a needle in a haystack.  Not even worth wasting a pick.

• tog

Participant

Sure a couple of them may develop. Many others are already gone from their original team. Webb, Cook, Kizer , Cardale Jones are examples. The point is to have them develop for your team, not another team. Josh Dobbs may develop, but the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph for some reason. But sure there might be a couple of those guys who will eventually turn into decent NFL starting quarterbacks for the teams who drafted them. Not many.

The original poster on this board is implying that the Bucs can find their next QB on day 2 or later. Frankly its a needle in a haystack. Not even worth wasting a pick.

I agree with that. I don’t agree that it’s not worth “wasting” a pick. Most players taken in the 5th round won’t contribute.

Just out of curiosity I took a look at the Bucs 5th round picks. Only real good player was Jermaine Philips all the way back in 2002. After that it’s Josh Johnson (a QB) or Kevin Pamphile.

It is a crapshoot which is why you need to take as many shots as possible.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.