Viewing 58 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Speedy WR Herron could contribute immediately By Roy Cummings | Tribune Staff Published: June 4, 2014herron_zps60ebcb14.pngCoaches are working with rookie Robert Herron on how to best use his speed. TRIBUNE FILE PHOTO TAMPA — Nothing defines draft value better than a late-round selection who can step in and contribute — or better yet, start right out of the box. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers may have secured just such a value pick in rookie wide receiver Robert Herron, their sixth-round selection out of Wyoming. Herron has been working mostly at the slot receiver spot since joining the Bucs and his raw speed is something they may want to take immediate advantage of. “Robert has done a really good job,’’ Bucs offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford said. “He brings a lot of speed as an inside receiver, so I think the guys we’ve drafted are going to play a major role in what we’re doing.’’ The Bucs are already counting on their top three picks (wide receiver Mike Evans, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins and running back Charles Sims) contributing regularly this year. Their fifth-round picks (guard Kadeem Edwards and tackle Kevin Pamphile) appear to be in line for backup roles, but Herron could immediately give the Bucs a fourth contributor from this year’s draft class. He’ll likely have to beat out Chris Owuso to do it, but with 4.4-second speed in the 40-yard dash and a 35-inch vertical leap, Herron has the athleticism necessary to win the battle. All he needs is to learn how to best use that skill. “You watch him and you definitely see the leaping ability and the speed right away,’’ said Bucs wide receivers coach Andrew Hayes-Stoker. “But he has to learn how to tempo his speed in order to be an asset. “I mean, he can go. He has juice. Defensive backs should be scared of his juice. He just has to learn how to use it. You know, use some of it and then — boom — at the very end of the route, burst on a guy. “It’s like having a car with 600 horsepower. You give it to a new driver and sometimes, that’s a lot of power to have. He just has to learn how to control it and how to use it.” rcummings@tampatrib.com (813) 259-7979 Twitter: @RcummingsTBO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m looking forward to watching Herron in the pre-season. I think he has a very valid shot at the #3 receiver position. Also, I wouldn’t write off Edwards just yet, I’ve got a feeling that he might surprise as well. I love the guys attitude.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Such an amazing pick in round 6 . I wanted the guy in round 3. Thank you for out-thinking yourselves again , NFL Scouts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Herron is the perfect slot receiver for the Bucs.  Still has a ways to go to be ready to be an impact NFL player but the skill set is there

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have high hopes for this guy. Herron is in the perfect situation with big targets around him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like herron but Idk if starting two rookie wrs in conducive to success. Don’t get me wrong I’d love for herron to ball out that would be a big chunk of our offense depending on two rookies.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They seem pretty high on him for sure. That other Wyoming guy didn’t last a week. Just playing devils advocate. If he has all this talent, why didn’t Herron get recruited to a big time college program?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where did Jerry Rice go to school?  Terrell Owens? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jerry Rice was born in arguably the most segregated state in the country at a time many schools in the SEC were barely integrated. Lots of players then chose to go to historically black schools, instead. Terrell Owens was mostly a basketball player in high school.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hear ya.  But Herron was a pretty good high school player in Compton, friends with Dashon Goldson when he was growing up. I think he had academic problems early on, but when has that stopped a big time college program from recruiting a player?  [Think Keith McCants]

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hear ya.  But Herron was a pretty good high school player in Compton, friends with Dashon Goldson when he was growing up. I think he had academic problems early on, but when has that stopped a big time college program from recruiting a player?  [Think Keith McCants]

actually, if this article is correct, he switched high schools before his junior year and even then the new team did not know where to play him. He was a great athlete, but rough. Looks like he basically had a strong senior year and that's about itbtw, if you read this article and you're not rooting for this kid . . . . wow, he has not had it easyhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1936140-wyoming-wide-receiver-robert-herron-never-had-it-easy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He switched high schools before his junior year and even then the new team did not know where to play him. He was a great athlete, but rough. Looks like he basically had a strong senior year and that's about it

Well, that doesn't explain him not being recruited to a big time college program. Wyoming? Really?And he was drafted in the 6th round. So every GM in the league passed on him 5 or 6 times. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns into an All-Pro. But its just curious, he has something scaring talent evaluators off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good article, but on the thread title: “Nothing defines draft value better than a late rounder who can start right away” – that’s not draft value, that’s lack of depth.  Especially if he has a chance to start even before he flashes in the pre-season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope Herron turns out to be a good player, but let’s wait for him to actually do something before we chastise big time college football programs and NFL teams for overlooking him. There’s no getting around the fact that he’s small and doesn’t have elite speed. A lot of big time college programs don’t recruit kids that small who aren’t track fast. Sure, one out of 100 prospects who are 5’9″ 4.5 turn out to be good, but that’s for schools like Wyoming to find them. USC wants the kids bigger than that and Oregon wants the ones who are faster. Also, west coast recruiting is different than what we're used to in the southeast. The state of California produces more NFL players than any other state. Yet there are only four "big time" programs there and two of them are among the best academic institutions in the country. There are two big schools in Oregon, two in Washington, and two in Arizona. If one of those schools doesn't want you, your next stop is Wyoming. It's not like down here where if none of the SEC schools want you, there are all the schools in the ACC who might.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He switched high schools before his junior year and even then the new team did not know where to play him. He was a great athlete, but rough. Looks like he basically had a strong senior year and that's about it

Well, that doesn't explain him not being recruited to a big time college program. Wyoming? Really?And he was drafted in the 6th round. So every GM in the league passed on him 5 or 6 times. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns into an All-Pro. But its just curious, he has something scaring talent evaluators off.

Valid concerns. I think we should pump the breaks on the expectations for the 6th rounder but it will be fun to watch how it unfolds. It's certainly not a bad thing he's getting some high praise from coaches.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Definitely psyched about Herron.I think the team views Draft status as meaning nothing...  they want players.How does one learn to throttle speed?  Is it instinct?    What kind of drills would Hayes-Stoker use for that?  Herron could be deadly in the 5 - 15 yard zone.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Forsazh! You only have so much, much wiser to ration it for when it will do you the most good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No doubt developing a change-of-pace would help him get defenders into taking bad angles on him. He needs to learn he’s not gonna win too many footraces; there are a LOT of fast DBs in the NFL.    Somehow he seems to have gotten the reputation for not liking to run routes over the middle. No idea where that came from, but I've seen it referred to in some internet reports on him... Hopefully it's BS...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its easy to understand Bucs fans excitement about this guy.  Who was our last player who was a legit homerun threat whenever he touched the ball?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its easy to understand Bucs fans excitement about this guy.  Who was our last player who was a legit homerun threat whenever he touched the ball?

I think it's quite premature to say that about him. He has very average speed for his size.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it's quite premature to say that about him. He has very average speed for his size.

Not saying he is, Im commenting on the fans starvation for a guy like that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tiquan Underwood was pretty fast.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fast yes, elusive no.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fast yes, elusive no.

Just how much elusiveness does Herron have to get away from defensive backs when he's basically just a hair faster than Sammie Stroughter was?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fast yes, elusive no.

Just how much elusiveness does Herron have to get away from defensive backs when he's basically just a hair faster than Sammie Stroughter was?

Again, Im not saying Herron is that guy.  Im saying the eager-ness of the fan base for a home run threat in the slot is understandable.  Because of that, any guy we get with a little bit of speed/elusiveness gets elevated to that potential ceiling by the fan base.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fast yes, elusive no.

Didnt Herron run in the 4.2s and Stroughter was in the 4.5s?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fast yes, elusive no.

Didnt Herron run in the 4.2s and Stroughter was in the 4.5s?

There are various reports of him being that fast on other occasions, but at the actual Combine, on the same surface as everyone else and with the same stop watches as everyone else, he was timed at 4.47. (Stroughter ran 4.54 in 2009 and Mike Williams 4.53 in 2010.) Maybe Herron just had a bad day and is actually faster than that, but it's just as possible he's not as fast as people think he is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmm, I did not know that thanks.  Any chance you know what 40 times Williams and Stroughter ran at their own pro days?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmm, I did not know that thanks.  Any chance you know what 40 times Williams and Stroughter ran at their own pro days?

It's hard to take any Pro Day reports as hard evidence, but this site says Williams ran another 4.53 while Stroughter improved his time to 4.45.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's hard to take any Pro Day reports as hard evidence, but this site says Williams ran another 4.53 while Stroughter improved his time to 4.45.

yeah, I was just trying to get apples-to -apples.  I get the questions about reliability, but if Herron ran 4.2s at his Pro Day and Stroughter and Williams ran 4.4s and 4.5s, he's probably quite a bit faster than Stroughter (or maybe more accurate to say he has a better chance of having "elite" speed). But still, straight line speed probably doesn't mean as much as change of speed anyway.thanks for the info

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

would love for this kid to work out for us. Seems we’ve never had a slot receiver to count on.Nice to see in one draft that we addressed 2 positions Dom ignored the past few years - TE and slot WR

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Herron ran a 4.35 at his pro day, hes plenty fast and explosive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah, I was just trying to get apples-to -apples.  I get the questions about reliability, but if Herron ran 4.2s at his Pro Day and Stroughter and Williams ran 4.4s and 4.5s, he's probably quite a bit faster than Stroughter (or maybe more accurate to say he has a better chance of having "elite" speed). But still, straight line speed probably doesn't mean as much as change of speed anyway.thanks for the info

NFLDraftScout claims Herron ran 4.35 at his Pro Day, so it's possible he actually has an Underwood level of speed, but it's also possible he got the benefit of a human, non-electronic stop watch or that the Wyoming track is faster than the Combine track. We don't really know. All we definitely know was on that day on the same track everyone else ran on using the same timers everyone else used, he only ran an average 40.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His short area quickness is what excites me. Bucs haven’t had that in the slot in quite awhile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His short area quickness is what excites me. Bucs haven't had that in the slot in quite awhile.

Worth noting the "straight line speed only" Underwood did better in the 20-yard shuttle (4.11 to 4.27) and 3-cone drill (6.62 to 6.84).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His short area quickness is what excites me. Bucs haven't had that in the slot in quite awhile.

Worth noting the "straight line speed only" Underwood did better in the 20-yard shuttle (4.11 to 4.27) and 3-cone drill (6.62 to 6.84).

Prime example of what I was saying FRG lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That fans overrate every unproven player with potential while forgetting that every disappointing current or former pro was once a great prospect, too? I agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That fans overrate every unproven player with potential while forgetting that every disappointing current or former pro was once a great prospect, too? I agree.

More specifically in areas of need.  Not to mention the favorite phrase our OC uttered early..."speed in space".  Im honestly more interested in seeing Demps than Herron.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who was our last player who was a legit homerun threat whenever he touched the ball?

There wasn't one that I can remember.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then don’t get your heart broken if Demps doesn’t even make the final roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More specifically in areas of need.  Not to mention the favorite phrase our OC uttered early..."speed in space".  Im honestly more interested in seeing Demps than Herron.

are there 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone times for Demps?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then don't get your heart broken if Demps doesn't even make the final roster.

I wont.  But I think he fits the homerun threat better than Herron.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

isnt a slot guy more of an underneath guy?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't see any out there. He either didn't attend the Combine at all or didn't do any drills.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has the speed but it's still to be seen if he has a position and can translate that to the NFL game. At least with Herron, we should be reasonably confident his floor will be a Stroughter level #4 receiver, but Demps' floor is off the team in two months.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

thanks FRG.  I agree with your thoughts on Demps

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has the speed but it's still to be seen if he has a position and can translate that to the NFL game. At least with Herron, we should be reasonably confident his floor will be a Stroughter level #4 receiver, but Demps' floor is off the team in two months.

Agree completely.  But thats why Demps intrigues me more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No ,  he didn't attend the combine or any pro day . He was overseas running track .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot of big time college programs don't recruit kids that small who aren't track fast. Sure, one out of 100 prospects who are 5'9" 4.5 turn out to be good

Well, he is not that small.  He is 5-9, 193And these players are smaller, and got recruited to bigger programs.Tavon Austin      5-8    176          WVUDemps                5-8    188DeSean            5-10    176          CalWarrick Dunn      5-9    187          FSUSproles                5-6    190          KSSteve Smith        5-9    185          UtahWelker                5-9    185        Texas Tech

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot of big time college programs don't recruit kids that small who aren't track fast. Sure, one out of 100 prospects who are 5'9" 4.5 turn out to be good

Well, he is not that small.  He is 5-9, 193And these players are smaller, and got recruited to bigger programs.Tavon Austin      5-8    176          WVUDemps                5-8    188DeSean            5-10    176          CalWarrick Dunn      5-9    187          FSUSproles                5-6    190          KSSteve Smith        5-9    185          UtahWelker                5-9    185        Texas Tech

I'm guessing he wasn't good enough.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Is Utah a better program than Wyoming? West Virginia?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Only for the two years Urban Myer was there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think so. Utah has had quite a few NFL players.Jamal AndersonParis Warren  [ugh]Scott MitchellLarry WilsonJordan GrossSteve SmithManny FernandezWest Virginia has been producing NFL prospects pretty well the last few years.TandyGenoTavon AustinGoodeBecth  [sp?]WyomingHerronBrett Smith??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I said one out of 100 5'9" 4.5 prospects turns out to be good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Understood.  My point was, plenty of players smaller than Herron get recruited to big time programs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Understood.  My point was, plenty of players smaller than Herron get recruited to big time programs.

Do you know how many 5'9" 4.5 prospects come out of California every year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Herron is not a 4.5 guy . Get your facts straight , bro.He disappointed somewhat at the combine but still ran in the 4.4's with an official 4.48.Came back at his pro day and made up for it with this :"There were reportedly 15 teams in attendance at Wyoming's pro day on Thursday, and wide receiver Robert Herron was a scene-stealer, with Benjamin Allbright reporting that he clock Herron at 4.25 and 4.29 in the 40-yard dash. The Wyoming receiver also had "natural hands" according to Allbright, and that could signal a rise up the draft boards for Herron"http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/13/5503944/nfl-pro-day-results-march-13

Please wait…

• vlagatta

“Nothing defines draft value better than a late-round selection who can step in and contribute — or better yet, start right out of the box.”Perhaps the most ignorant statement ever put forth by Cummings that I have ever read.Oh I dunno Roy, how about a player who we drafted in late rounds who goes on to have an entire amazing career with us?  wouldn't that be better?We've had our share of "first season wonders".  I'd rather see a guy be amazing for his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

usually having a late round pick become a starter right away is more a sign of a junk team that has a lot of holes in it more than a good drafting team.

Please wait…

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.