Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

with national restaurant chains siding with Everytown, the NRA issued this statement calling for Texas Open Carry advocates to stand down:Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.Let's not mince words, not only is it rare, it's downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one's cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates."24 hours later, the NRA reversed course:"Update June 3, 2014, 7:15pmEDT: The NRA is now beating a retreat from its condemnation of the Texas activists. Timothy Johnson of Media Matters for America reports that the NRA's top lobbyist Chris Cox appeared on a NRA radio show on Tuesday to apologize for and repudiate the NRA's lengthy post criticizing the open carry movement: "Cox said that the statement was 'a mistake' and that 'it shouldn't have happened,' adding 'our job is not to criticize the lawful behavior of fellow gun owners.' Cox also blamed the statement on a 'staffer' who Cox said 'expressed his personal opinion."Essentially, the NRA condemned Texas Open Carry advocates because national restaurant chains started siding with Everytown. Those Texas OC advocates pushed back, telling NRA members in TX to tear up their NRA cards, so the NRA then reversed its course.  lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad decision to repeal their initial response. They were spot on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Target next . .  not sure about that one:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/04/target-guns-open-carry_n_5446275.html""Target is a central part of the lives of American moms," Shannon Watts, the group's founder, said in a statement. "We're asking one of our country's largest retailers, a store where American moms flock to, to follow the lead of Chipotle and Starbucks and make a clear statement that open carry of firearms is not welcome in their stores."That might be  "bridge too far"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This “open carry” stuff is starting to get a little out of hand.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad decision to repeal their initial response. They were spot on.

I think you're right, especially from a strategic perspective.  There are many voters in the country that are just not interested in gun issues because they don't really impact their everyday lives. Choosing to promote Open Carry by carrying rifles into restaurants brings the gun issue front and center for these otherwise disinterested voters. Its more likely than not that these types of voters would be AGAINST having rifles in their restaurants, so its a terrible strategy to promote Open Carry.  The NRA should've stuck to its guns, so to speak, because they were right, but also because now they get hit again by their detractors for making such a blatantly political reversal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, it was a bad PR move on their part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This "open carry" stuff is starting to get a little out of hand.

I agree, its ill-conceived from the start.  They are giving the Everytown/Moms group softballs to hit over the fence.  On top of that, you get this unfortunate stuff and it just compounds the problemhttp://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/guns-open-carry-texas-harassment-marine-veteran"On Memorial Day this week, a former Marine in Texas named James got a couple calls from friends who'd spotted an unusual gathering in downtown Fort Worth: Roughly a dozen people, mostly men, were hanging out in the middle of the city's cultural district, armed with semi-automatic rifles. James quickly knew what his friends were describing, having recently encountered an open-carry demonstration himself in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. An independent TV commercial producer who sometimes films live events, James headed downtown with his camera to get some footage." ***"I'm all for responsible gun owners," he says. "What I was taught was not to wear it around like a gold chain. What they're doing is irresponsible. It intimidates the public, and people have just as much right to be comfortable in their public environment as these guys have a right to own their firearms."Suddenly he was surrounded by about a half-dozen armed men. They started badgering him with questions and accusing him of being anti-American. "I said, 'Are you kidding me? I served in the military.' They were trying to intimidate me, and when I didn't cower that upset them," he said. But he was starting to feel nervous and decided to disengage and walk away.In a video obtained by Mother Jones that was posted online later that day by one of the activists, the group can be seen pursuing and harassing James through downtown Fort Worth. "I'm following this guy around," declares one of them, setting off after him with his weapon slung across his back. He and others stay right behind James for several city blocks, following him through traffic and taunting him along the way. James grows more agitated and tells them off, calling them **CENSORED**s and bullies."This is what happens when people on the extreme end of a political position take the lead.  (That story has a familiar ring to it, lol .. . especially the parts in bold)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A top target for gun extremists has been the women of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, the grassroots group that began after Sandy Hook and has since merged with Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns under the Everytown banner. The battle has grown particularly ugly in Texas, where gun groups such as Open Carry Texas have conducted demonstrations showcasing their right under state law to openly carry rifles in public. The sight of groups of (mostly) men carrying semi-automatic rifles along a busy road or inside the local Jack in the Box has prompted bystanders to call police. In response, Open Carry Texas has begun making open-records requests, identifying callers and threatening to publicize their personal information.On April 10, Brett Sanders, a member of Open Carry Texas in Plano, a midsize city in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, posted a video on YouTube highlighting the name and cellphone number of a woman who’d called the police after seeing heavily armed men on her way to a shopping mall. The post drew condemnation not only for outing the woman but also because it was misleading: It claimed that the woman had called 911, though she’d called the nonemergency line of the Plano PD. And the footage it used came from friendly-looking demonstrations elsewhere—not from the one that the woman encountered. (“Feel free to contact me when you work for a real news organization,” Sanders replied to my request for comment.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The people walking around with those guns in Target have to be the biggest tools on the planet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I lived in Sierra Vista, Az a few yrs ago and that’s like 20-30 min from Tombstone, Az and that place is like the wild west with everyone open carrying. I mean Rambo style carrying w/ multi weapons showing.Funny thing is all the retail stores, restaurants, and businesses have signs saying no weapons allowed b/c obviously an old dusty bearded guy with a hunting rifle strapped to his back is bad for business. Funny how cultures tend to police themselves w/o the need for laws and such

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The profit motive is often a powerful common sense motivator, but it also goes the other direction. In these instance non gun owners tolerate guns UNTIL they start impacting profits

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This Open Carry group in Texas don’t seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. You would think they would realize by now the tactics they are employing are counter productive.It's one thing to "stand up for your rights', but another to shoot yourself in the foot (pun intended) in the process.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This Open Carry group in Texas don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. You would think they would realize by now the tactics they are employing are counter productive.It's one thing to "stand up for your rights', but another to shoot yourself in the foot (pun intended) in the process.

agreed, but even the NRA was unable to convince them of that, apparentlyJust like any political issue, there are fringe elements at both sides of the spectrum

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This Open Carry group in Texas don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. You would think they would realize by now the tactics they are employing are counter productive.It's one thing to "stand up for your rights', but another to shoot yourself in the foot (pun intended) in the process.

agreed, but even the NRA was unable to convince them of that, apparentlyJust like any political issue, there are fringe elements at both sides of the spectrum

These clowns make the NRA look good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/moms-demand-action-to-host-stroller-jam-outside-of-target-corp-annual-shareholder-meeting-in-dallas-on-wednesday-262521111.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Christ, how stupid can you possibly get? Smh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think its one thing for The Moms to pick off restaurants like Chipotle etc., but Target may be the bridge too far

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.