Viewing 42 reply threads

• Author

• Mizer

Participant

if Nicks can go, are we ok on the o-line?  good o-line?I really don't know much about these guys we picked up and I am not confident about 5th rounders starting.I am just wondering where we stand.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if Nicks can go, are we ok on the o-line?  good o-line?I really don't know much about these guys we picked up and I am not confident about 5th rounders starting.I am just wondering where we stand.

IMO, "we" stand watch for any opportunity to upgrade.  Nicks will be a "hold your breath" player at best.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on who you ask.  Most of us would like to see some good depth added to the OL either way since these guys do get hurt.  We have upgraded our starters but still pretty thin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

…and the 2 FA guys?Ok?  good?  really good?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and the 2 FA guys?Ok?  good?  really good?

I would say both are "ok" with the chance to be "good".  Sadly, being "ok" is an upgrade over what we had last year.  If Nicks is even 85% that would be a huge boost.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like what I’m hearing about the center’s leadership.  Don’t dislike Collins, but I just don’t know a lot about him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ok, so it sounds like we have a legit NFL caliber O-line with crap for depth.  …makes me feel a little better about it, but not great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

meredith should be fine at one guard… the other guard is the big question mark.  our coaches know cousins, but he’s never been a quality starter… i’m hoping he’s depth.  there will be ample opportunity for FA guards in the coming months if team goes that route.  noone knows what we’ll get with nicks and for how long.  some said "80% of joseph is still good" but that was a disaster... similar comments on nicks are worrisome. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

meredith should be fine at one guard... the other guard is the big question mark.  our coaches know cousins, but he's never been a quality starter... i'm hoping he's depth.  there will be ample opportunity for FA guards in the coming months if team goes that route.  noone knows what we'll get with nicks and for how long.  some said "80% of joseph is still good" but that was a disaster... similar comments on nicks are worrisome.

Not saying it was never said, but I dont remember ever seeing that.  Nicks at 80% is about the same as Joseph at 200%.  I dont think Nicks ever gets back to where he was in NOLA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The bad news is that we are weak at OG. The good news  OG  is the least demanding position on the OLine. If we can get to the point that we are ok, not great, but ok at OG will will be alright for this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should be able to pass protect fine, because they weren’t as bad at it last season as people thought. Run blocking is still a big question mark, but hopefully we can have some success running out of more finesse formations and not trying to line up and just ram into the defense like Schiano’s cave man philosophy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One good thing, perhaps… I don’t think Tedford’s o-line is that hard to learn or execute in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should be able to pass protect fine, because they weren't as bad at it last season as people thought. Run blocking is still a big question mark, but hopefully we can have some success running out of more finesse formations and not trying to line up and just ram into the defense like Schiano's cave man philosophy.

With regard to pass-blocking, I'm hoping that we are going to do a lot more quick throws as well, which should help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My trust is in George Warhop, the grizzled Oline coach. He should be able to work wonders this year with the hodge-podge group. Next year, I think they finish the Oline with a couple more picks. My guess and I hope I am wrong, is Nicks doesn’t last the year and is put to pasture next year. So Nicks would be the only building block to replace next year. if it’s this year, we are in deep doo doo but I think there is a plan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My trust is in George Warhop, the grizzled Oline coach. He should be able to work wonders this year with the hodge-podge group. Next year, I think they finish the Oline with a couple more picks. My guess and I hope I am wrong, is Nicks doesn't last the year and is put to pasture next year. So Nicks would be the only building block to replace next year. if it's this year, we are in deep doo doo but I think there is a plan.

Don't be surprised if you see at least one O-Line taken in the next couple of drafts. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them poach a practice squad…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should be able to pass protect fine, because they weren't as bad at it last season as people thought. Run blocking is still a big question mark, but hopefully we can have some success running out of more finesse formations and not trying to line up and just ram into the defense like Schiano's cave man philosophy.

With regard to pass-blocking, I'm hoping that we are going to do a lot more quick throws as well, which should help.

Agree, think Brees and Payton. We've got the size to go up and get it and speed out of the backfield to get outside too.  If you are mixing the plays up right, you can set up the defense and air it out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My trust is in George Warhop, the grizzled Oline coach. He should be able to work wonders this year with the hodge-podge group. Next year, I think they finish the Oline with a couple more picks. My guess and I hope I am wrong, is Nicks doesn't last the year and is put to pasture next year. So Nicks would be the only building block to replace next year. if it's this year, we are in deep doo doo but I think there is a plan.

I'm pretty sure we saw this same quote verbatim ad nauseam with Bostad

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL I was thinking the same thing

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And before that with Bill Muir.Seriously though, Bostad DID get the line to play well in his first year after both Joseph and Nicks were down. I thought Meredith did very well at right guard that year and even Zuttah played well enough at left guard. Last year, Joseph played right guard and Meredith had a hard time at left guard and Zuttah got pushed around at center and Penn's play really fell off. I'm not 100% sure that was Bostad's fault.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

freddy, I agree 100%. I think Lovie gives Warhop at least one pick the next two years. If you look at both sides of the ball and assume the special teams will be decent, everything behind both line is generally okay. On defnse, the SS, CB & LB’s are pretty solid this year and now on the offensive side of the ball, the TE, WR, RB’s are solid. Both Oline and Dline can use some work going forward and I bet the focus will be on the trenches for the next two years. I believe Lovie is going to win in the trenches and control his destiny. His two must have positions are 3 technique and QB, the rest he can accept good but those two primary positions need to be great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

wish the bucs sign more FA… EDS, Collins & Dotson are the only "bright" spot...at left guard, Carl Nicks health status and durability is a big question... the odds doesn't look good.the right guard position is an open competition, Meredith is great for depth & competition but still at best he's below average starting material... Cousins doesn't have any good tape with Cleveland and was a liability in pass protection, he was signed cause it's a good thing to have a Warhop's man at least for TC and on the bench for this season, but he bring no value for production on the field, he's not the young guy with potential down the road or the good old seasoned vet... it's good for the Oline group to have him as the 8/9th man of the unit, not the first solution on the bench!our depth is scary!  Cousins, two 5th round draft pick who are raw/long-term project, unknow and unproven udfa's project from the previous regime (Daniels, Omameh, Foster, Cleary)... hopefully one of them can be a good surprise, still a longshot...you can't find an upgrade or long-term value on the market but at least you can and need to upgrade the depth with one or two vet FA!G/T Travell Wharton could be a good stopgap for a year, he just doesn't want to play for vet minmum or a million... he's better competition for Meredith than Cousins and a better insurance for Nicks at LG!C/G Wade Smith is another stopgap for the year with some versatility and hasn't missed a start in four seasons...alt: OG Uche Nwaneri, RT Eric Winston, OC Fernando Velasco (recovering from Achilles surgery)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The OL is the big question mark. First of all we have no continuity. One starting quality player from last year.How can anyone be confident? We still have big question marks at OG and depth is still an issue. Meredith is bad. Nicks is injured and we drafted two rookies in the 5th round after the obvious starting caliber OG's were long gone.I cant wait to watch them pull this rabbit out of the hat on opening day. Our OL coach has hos work cut out for himself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The staff must feel good about Meredith and Nicks to not go guard in the 3rd. Would feel a lot better if we can get 1 more vet that can play both guard spots. Daryn Colledge.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Meredith is undervalued.  He is a decent player.  Watch him play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Meredith seemed to play RG in 2012 a lot better than LG in 2013. Not sure if he was playing hurt or if he’s really that much better at RG. And how a C executes and calls out assignments can make a G look real good, or real bad… An O'line's best friend is a quick tempo offensive system, as it makes their job so much easier. And, a lot of our blocking issues were at the TE, FB, and RB positions. Hopefully Myers and ASJ will greatly improve our edge blocking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Some people think RG is easier than LG because you face off against a more one dimensional power player at NT rather than a more varied pass rusher at UT and also the RG usually works in tandem with the C on a double team. The LG plays one on one a lot more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

last couple seasons we invested too much in guards, this (off)season  . .. not enough.same voices, both arguments

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if Nicks can go, are we ok on the o-line?  good o-line?I really don't know much about these guys we picked up and I am not confident about 5th rounders starting.

For what it's worth, Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder. Dietrich-Smith, Penn and Dotson were undrafted. Collins was a 4th rounder

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but only Nicks had day 1 starting talent!no one can be accurate about the two 5th rounder in the long-term, but short-term i'm 99,99% sure Edwards or Pamphile level of production as a rookie won't be anything close Nicks first year in the NFL...Edwards & Pamphile are raw, long-term project, you can't expect any good production before 2016!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but only Nicks had day 1 starting talent!no one can be accurate about the two 5th rounder in the long-term, but short-term i'm 99,99% sure Edwards or Pamphile level of production as a rookie won't be anything close Nicks first year in the NFL...Edwards & Pamphile are raw, long-term project, you can't expect any good production before 2016!

We should not expect either of them to start but it does happen every year (5th round or later OG's starting).It was interesting to hear Licht say that Pamphile is going to be worked out as the swing OT and not OG. That leaves Edwards as our only hope that Meredith isnt pushed into action. Good point NDY about Meredith. He did play better at LG. And he seems to do fine vs. slack competition but against a decent player he gets killed. Maybe their plan is to put him at RG and pray to the baby Jesus that Nicks comes through. I think Edwards has a decent chance to be able to go this year. I tried to scout him and kind of liked him but just had one terrible video to watch so I gave up. lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We should not expect either of them to start but it does happen every year (5th round or later OG's starting).

See, for example, Nicks.  Now, I'm obviously not predicting that Edwards is going to have the success that Nicks did, but in general, the idea of late-round guards getting pressed into playing early worries me less than late-round picks at most other positions would.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If any position has a history of late round starters it has to be Guard.Good Tackles and a great center can mask a lot of deficiencies with young guards learning on the job.I believe we have that situation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Although Nicks played much better than expected once starting, the initial reason Nicks played, then started 13 games his rookie year, is because the opening day starter was suspended by the league for substance abuse.  So at least at the start of the season and for the short term, the Saints were sure Nicks level of production would not be what it turned out to be. Now to be clear, I'm not saying either Bucs draft pick will play/start/bust/HoF or anything.  Just pointing out that not a lot was expected from Nicks his rookie year either.From an article about Nesbit suspension irt Nicks - "We won't know for sure until Wednesday, but massive rookie Carl Nicks should slide into Nesbit's spot in the starting lineup. Nicks is athletic and powerful but he lacks experience and will be tested up front by opposing defensive coordinators. The Saints are high on Nicks but it's always tough to start a rookie lineman. If Nicks does start, he'll be the fourth rookie to start for the injury-riddled Saints so far this season, following Sedrick Ellis, Tracy Porter and Jo-Lonn Dunbar."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can someone post our depth chart as of today for the O-Line? I know it’s not official

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/TBObviously not official.Booker turned me onto this site yesterday.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OffenseLWR 83 JACKSON, VINCENT U/SD 18 Dawson, Skye SF13 89 Shepard, Russell T/Phi 85 Streeter, Tommy SF13 00 Herron, Robert 14/6RWR 13 Evans, Mike 14/1 80 Owusu, Chris P/SD 17 Page, Eric SF13 11 Murphy, Louis U/NYG 15 Hawkins, Lavelle U/SDWR 00 Burks, Aaron CF14 00 Patton, Solomon CF14LT 73 Collins, Anthony U/Cin 75 Cousins, Oniel U/Cle 00 Patchan, Matt CF14 73 Daniels, Jace CF13 LG 77 NICKS, CARL U/NO 62 Foster, Jason SF13 00 Edwards, Kadeem 14/5 C 62 Dietrich-Smith, Evan U/GB 00 Allen, Josh CF14 RG 66 Omameh, Patrick P/SF 79 Meredith, Jamon SF12 00 Miller, Andrew CF14 RT 69 Dotson, Demar CF09 67 Cleary, Emmett SF13 00 Pamphile, Kevin 14/5 TE 82 Myers, Brandon U/NYG 84 Crabtree, Tom SF13 88 Stocker, Luke 11/4 TE 00 Seferian-Jenkins, Austin 14/2 81 Wright, Tim CF13 86 Adams, Kyle SF13 82 Byham, Nate RFA QB 12 MCCOWN, JOSH U/Chi 8 Glennon, Mike 13/3 3 Kafka, Mike SF14 00 Smith, Brett CF14 FB 45 Pryor, Lonnie P/Jax RB 22 Martin, Doug 12/1 25 James, Mike 13/6 00 Sims, Charles 14/3 43 Rainey, Bobby RFA 28 Demps, Jeff T/NERB 46 Lane, Jorvorskie SF14DefenseLDE 92 Gholston, William 13/4 91 Bowers, Da'Quan 11/2 65 Masifilo, Matthew P/SF 75 Hunter, David SF14 00 Sutton, Chaz CF14LDT 93 McCoy, Gerald 10/1 98 McDonald, Clinton U/Sea RDT 97 Spence, Akeem 13/4 74 Dawkins, Everett SF13 00 Cummings, Euclid CF14 RDE 93 Johnson, Michael U/Cin 94 Clayborn, Adrian 11/1 96 Means, Steven 13/5 60 Solomon, Scott SF13 SLB 51 Lansanah, Danny P/NYJ 58 Glaud, Ka'Lial CF13 00 Askew, Nate CF14 MLB 59 Foster, Mason 11/3 50 Fletcher, Dane U/NE 46 Munoz, Damaso SF14 WLB 54 David, Lavonte 12/2 52 Casillas, Jonathan U/NO 00 Jenkins, Steven CF14 LCB 21 Verner, Alterraun U/Ten 24 Jenkins, Mike U/Oak 28 Melvin, Rashaan CF13 39 Anthony, Marc SF13 30 Moore, DJ SF14SS 23 Barron, Mark 12/1 31 Wright, Major U/Chi 37 Tandy, Keith 12/6 FS 38 Goldson, Dashon U/SF 35 McCray, Kelcie W/Mia 49 McDougald, Brad W/KC 00 Swaim, Mycal CF14 RCB 27 Banks, Johnthan 13/2 29 Johnson, Leonard CF12 33 Carr, Deveron CF13 36 Gorrer, Danny W/Sea 00 Lewis, Keith CF14Special TeamsP 9 KOENEN, MICHAEL U/Atl 6 Schum, Jake SF14 PK 10 Barth, Connor SF09 7 Murray, Patrick SF14 LS 44 CAIN, JEREMY SF14 H 9 KOENEN, MICHAEL U/Atl KO 9 KOENEN, MICHAEL U/Atl PR 17 Page, Eric SF13 18 Dawson, Skye SF13 43 Rainey, Bobby RFA KR 17 Page, Eric SF13 18 Dawson, Skye SF13 43 Rainey, Bobby RFA

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice, thanks Melon!Who is Omameh? I would think Merdith is the starting Guard.I'm doubtful we even see Nicks play more than 3 games this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We face Carolina and St Louis in the first two games.  This line will be testing right out of the gate.  I expect trouble!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love that sig pic SHIVVER.  Bad ass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We face Carolina and St Louis in the first two games.  This line will be testing right out of the gate.  I expect trouble!

Hardy may be down for the count if those supposed weapons aren't licensed in his recent 'event'...St Louis is going to be a nightmare and a hell of a test for this oline.  Yikes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/TBObviously not official.Booker turned me onto this site yesterday.

The site's pretty cool because you can see a lot of things on one screen, but I'm not convinced their guesses are all that correct for a lot of teams. Still, you get a good sense of depth at different postions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Meredith/Omameh are pretty much near locks to be the starting guards if Nicks can’t go.  Jace Daniels has been moved around a lot but I think they settle on him being a backup OT with Pamphile. 

Please wait…

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.