Viewing 24 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

Impromptu remarks from Obama following yet another school shooting:He said the failure to expand background checks on firearms sales was his "biggest frustration" as president, and called on concerned citizens to vent their anger loudly.Obama said it was "stunning" Congress couldn't pass laws making it harder to obtain firearms in the aftermath of the 2012 elementary school shooting that devastated Newtown, Connecticut, and stunned the nation. Obama said the violence on that December morning amounted to the "worst day" of his presidency."Why aren't we doing something about this?" he asked during an online question-and-answer session on college costs at the White House. "I will tell you, I have been in Washington for a while now. Most things don't surprise me. The fact that 20 six year olds were gunned down in the most violent fashion possible and this town couldn't do anything about it was stunning to me," he said.Obama's remarks came hours after a student opened fire at a high school near Portland, Oregon, killing a classmate before turning the gun on himself. The incident joined a list of dozens of shooting incidents at U.S. schools, campuses and public areas that have taken place since the 2012 Newtown massacre. "The country has to do some soul searching about this," he said. "This is becoming norm." Ramping up restrictions on gun sales was a top priority of Obama's after Newtown. A bipartisan measure that would have mandated background checks on gun sales failed to pass the Senate the following April, and other proposed measures, like a ban on assault weapons, garnered little support among lawmakers. The failure of it all was seen as a major defeat for the President, who led the nation in mourning for the students and teachers killed in Connecticut.Without congressional support, Obama signed dozens of unilateral executive actions meant to quell gun violence. Though broad action, like banning assault weapons or high capacity magazines, still require congressional approval.On Monday, Obama said the United States was the only developed country on Earth where mass shootings occur with regularity, adding that "if public opinion does not change, we're not going to change."And he shot down arguments that mental health was more to blame for mass killings than access to guns. "The United States does not have a monopoly on crazy people. It's not the only country that has psychosis," he said. "And yet we kill each other in these mass shootings at rates that are exponentially higher than any place else. Well, what's the difference? The difference is that these guys can stack up a bunch of ammunition in their houses and that's sort of par for the course."Politicians from both parties are "terrified" of the National Rifle Association, Obama said, saying the gun rights organization was well-funded and able to influence elections to prevent any significant new gun regulations from becoming law.Late in the day on Capitol Hill, Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer stood before the chamber and could barely get the words out about the violence earlier in the day in his district at Reynolds High School in Troutdale."In a scene that is achingly familiar, this morning at Reynolds a shooting occurred, a student killed, the shooter died, a teacher wounded," he said.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The reality of guns/gun control is that most responsible gun owners are for more gun control. It’s the political antiobama, anti govt, anti-life freaks that the NRA loves and the republican party prays upon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People arrested for drunk driving want to banish guns.VINCENT-BEILMAN.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As soon as people start to realize the highly publicized shootings you see on the news aren’t any more or less important than the dozens of murders in inner cities every day, meaningful discussion can be had. I have no faith that day will ever come, too many people have let their minds become polluted with liberal nonsense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As soon as people start to realize the highly publicized shootings you see on the news aren't any more or less important than the dozens of murders in inner cities every day, meaningful discussion can be had. I have no faith that day will ever come, too many people have let their minds become polluted with liberal nonsense.

it is not that their "minds become polluted with liberal nonsense" it is that they dont generally live in places like the inner city where there are "dozens of murders" so gun issues are not a big part of their lives.  For the majority of Americans gun control only comes front and center in their minds because of " highly publicized shootings you see on the news"  In fact, that is part of the reason the NRA has been so successful.  Even though they are in the minority, NRA members are very motivated because guns are an important part of their lives. By comparison, guns are NOT part of the everyday life of the majority so they are less motivated at the polls EXCEPT when there are things like "highly publicized shootings."  If people were routinely getting shot and killed in the Chicago suburbs like they are on the southside of Chicago there would be an all out effort to ban guns

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As soon as people start to realize the highly publicized shootings you see on the news aren't any more or less important than the dozens of murders in inner cities every day, meaningful discussion can be had. I have no faith that day will ever come, too many people have let their minds become polluted with liberal nonsense.

it is not that their "minds become polluted with liberal nonsense" it is that they dont generally live in places like the inner city where there are "dozens of murders" so gun issues are not a big part of their lives.  For the majority of Americans gun control only comes front and center in their minds because of " highly publicized shootings you see on the news"  In fact, that is part of the reason the NRA has been so successful.  Even though they are in the minority, NRA members are very motivated because guns are an important part of their lives. By comparison, guns are NOT part of the everyday life of the majority so they are less motivated at the polls EXCEPT when there are things like "highly publicized shootings."  If people were routinely getting shot and killed in the Chicago suburbs like they are on the southside of Chicago there would be an all out effort to ban guns

I live in Palm Harbor, not exactly a place where gun violence is an issue, yet I know what's going on around the country. Why is that? Because I make an effort to find out. Your post just supports what I said, people in America are unbelievably lazy, their idea of becoming "informed" is to sit their fat ass down on a couch and let some spineless coward like Chris Matthews fill their head with nonsense. Nobody bothers to learn the actual truth, yet so many argue as if they know it.The information needed is out there, if people want to find out what's really going on, they can. Or they can sit back and regurgitate some nonsense they heard on the news and get into meaningless debates they'll never win. Whatever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I live in Palm Harbor, not exactly a place where gun violence is an issue, yet I know what's going on around the country. Why is that? Because I make an effort to find out. Your post just supports what I said, people in America are unbelievably lazy, their idea of becoming "informed" is to sit their fat ass down on a couch and let some spineless coward like Chris Matthews fill their head with nonsense. Nobody bothers to learn the actual truth, yet so many argue as if they know it.The information needed is out there, if people want to find out what's really going on, they can. Or they can sit back and regurgitate some nonsense they heard on the news and get into meaningless debates they'll never win. Whatever.

well, again, I pretty much agree.  One of the biggest reasons there is such limited gun control in this country right now is voter apathy --  a majority of citizens are non gun owners but because the issue does not impart their live every day they are not as motivated as the gun lobby

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People arrested for drunk driving want to banish guns.VINCENT-BEILMAN.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not where he stands. And if he used to, he has changed that thought process. But, is that what you ultimately resort to? Posting people's pictures and actual identities on a message board?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is Durango, have to feel bad for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/justice/oregon-high-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2""The violence is in the person, not in the gun," Jerry Henry, executive director of GeorgiaCarry.Org, said earlier this year. "And until you figure out how to treat the violence, then you're going to have that. And taking all the guns off the street is not going to make anybody any safer.CNN analyst Fareed Zakaria disagrees with that assertion."Every time there is a serious gun massacre in the United States -- and alas these are fairly common -- the media focuses on the twisted psychology of the shooter and asks why we don't pay more attention to detecting and treating mental illness," he wrote."The question we should really be focused on is not the specific cause of a single shooting, but why there are so many of them in America."America's per capita gun homicide rate in 2009 was 12 times higher than the average of Canada, Germany, Australia and Spain."Does anyone think that we have 12 times as many psychologically troubled people as they do in these countries?"[/i]

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“It played out again Tuesday at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, Oregon, a city of 16,400 people 12 miles east of Portland.Jared Padgett, a student at the school, shot and killed another student before taking his own life, according to police.The 15-year-old Padgett had an AR-15 rifle and a brown paper bag filled with more than 20 fully loaded magazines, as well as knives, a law enforcement source told CNN"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This also, but by NBC:"The weapons had been secured, but he defeated the security measures," Anderson said.access to guns matters.  anyone want to speculate what the security measure might have been? trigger lock? maybe the gun was in a safe?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This also, but by NBC:"The weapons had been secured, but he defeated the security measures," Anderson said.access to guns matters.  anyone want to speculate what the security measure might have been? trigger lock? maybe the gun was in a safe?

I won't speculate. I'll wait to see the facts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"It played out again Tuesday at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, Oregon, a city of 16,400 people 12 miles east of Portland.Jared Padgett, a student at the school, shot and killed another student before taking his own life, according to police.The 15-year-old Padgett had an AR-15 rifle and a brown paper bag filled with more than 20 fully loaded magazines, as well as knives, a law enforcement source told CNN"

What's your point?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I won't speculate. I'll wait to see the facts.

I couldnt find any yet, but those would be my guesses

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"It played out again Tuesday at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, Oregon, a city of 16,400 people 12 miles east of Portland.Jared Padgett, a student at the school, shot and killed another student before taking his own life, according to police.The 15-year-old Padgett had an AR-15 rifle and a brown paper bag filled with more than 20 fully loaded magazines, as well as knives, a law enforcement source told CNN"

What's your point?

same as before, SOP . . .  method du jour . . . dress up like a "soldier" . .  or a video game .  . . go out in a blaze of glory.  As I think you might say, he may have been more effective with different weapons . . .  bujt I would add that his choices fulfill the fantasy . .  . unfortunatelyIt also goes to Escobar's point, which was much the same as we have dicussed, that the public . .  in this instance all the way up to the President . .  focuses on these events when handguns kill  more

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that’s not where the focus should be. What was the weapon of choice for the recent Seattle college shooting? What was the weapon of choice for the California shooter? Again, uneducated….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that's not where the focus should be. What was the weapon of choice for the recent Seattle college shooting? What was the weapon of choice for the California shooter? Again, uneducated....

well, I actually agree.  "uneducated" stems from lack of interest and then this type of event happens

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that's not where the focus should be. What was the weapon of choice for the recent Seattle college shooting? What was the weapon of choice for the California shooter? Again, uneducated....

well, I actually agree.  "uneducated" stems from lack of interest and then this type of event happens

My point being, in the 2 previous and very recent events that I mentioned; a shotgun and a handgun were used. But, they're just not as "scary" looking as an AR. Btw, have they stated what kind of guns were used in the LV shooting?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My point being, in the 2 previous and very recent events that I mentioned; a shotgun and a handgun were used. But, they're just not as "scary" looking as an AR. Btw, have they stated what kind of guns were used in the LV shooting?

I thought shotgun and handguns, but I could be wrong.I agree on the "scary looking" to the extent it works both ways, meaning non-gun people find it easier to ban because its "scary" and also they fit the blaze of glory fantasy (i.e., Rambo)

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

"focuses on these events when handguns kill  more"Said focus being the main driver of its proliferation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought shotgun and handguns, but I could be wrong.I agree on the "scary looking" to the extent it works both ways, meaning non-gun people find it easier to ban because its "scary" and also they fit the blaze of glory fantasy (i.e., Rambo)

And that's my point. It's absolutely idiotic to ban something because of it's appearance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that's my point. It's absolutely idiotic to ban something because of it's appearance.

True but that is the reason behind much of what happens in Washingtom

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Nancy Pelosi has been banned?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nancy Pelosi has been banned?

Lol

Please wait…

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.