Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 39 reply threads

• Author

• pmbarber

Participant

Is it me or does it seem like the play selections the Titans are running with Mariota are very safe and conservative. There have been boots, roll outs, quick TE outs off play action etc.. High percentage throws or calls with low risk. Very little down the field aggressive throws. Perhaps its not the play calling it is just where Mariota looks to go with the ball. There is a huge difference in the Bucs passing game and the Titans. Just an observation, I could be wrong.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I forgot to watch the Titans game tonight, Carolina had me distracted (their WR corps is a dumpster fire!) so I can’t comment. By the time I tuned it, it was halftime.However, I did see a recap of Mariota's play and, from what they showed, I would have to agree with you.

Please wait…

• ZMan08151992

Can we just stop with mariota threads….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, Mariota and Winston will be compared for their entire careers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is it me or does it seem like the play selections the Titans are running with Mariota are very safe and conservative. There have been boots, roll outs, quick TE outs off play action etc.. High percentage throws or calls with low risk. Very little down the field aggressive throws. Perhaps its not the play calling it is just where Mariota looks to go with the ball. There is a huge difference in the Bucs passing game and the Titans. Just an observation, I could be wrong.

I agree with the observation overall.  Think that it's a bit of both, safe playing and play calling. 

Please wait…

• ZMan08151992

Are leaf and manning still being compared? What about rg3 and andrew luck?Only if they both have success that they will compared....but if not

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the observation overall.  Think that it's a bit of both, safe playing and play calling.

Well, most of us knew these two were very different in the way they play in college.Plus, mariota has to get acclimated a bit differently as well. The pro calls, where they come from, the titles of them, howling it out, etc. He might not be bad at it, but hes not used to it regardless.Winston can go right into the game full bore, just so long as his ol doesn't put him an inadvertent early grave, or he doesnt go int-happy.Mariota was like that anyway. Short completions all over the place. Not exactly a bad thing, but it makes for a little bit of OJT and grooming.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, most of us knew these two were very different in the way they play in college.Plus, mariota has to get acclimated a bit differently as well. The pro calls, where they come from, the titles of them, howling it out, etc. He might not be bad at it, but hes not used to it regardless.Winston can go right into the game full bore, just so long as his ol doesn't put him an inadvertent early grave, or he doesnt go int-happy.Mariota was like that anyway. Short completions all over the place. Not exactly a bad thing, but it makes for a little bit of OJT and grooming.

Yep he is not a gunslinger, he's efficient.  The big question with him will be if he can start putting together some throws a few yards further down the field, in tight coverage.  I'm truly rooting for both qb's (obviously Winston waaaay more) but have always believed that Winston has the higher ceiling as an NFL qb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep he is not a gunslinger, he's efficient.  The big question with him will be if he can start putting together some throws a few yards further down the field, in tight coverage.  I'm truly rooting for both qb's (obviously Winston waaaay more) but have always believed that Winston has the higher ceiling as an NFL qb.

My problem with winston has simply been his off the field behavior. He's always shown to be a good qb.Mariota didnt carry that anvil, so i wouldve preferred him at qb.Idk if i would change that idea just yet either, as imvho, both are good qbs, and winston still has to reside by, not only societies rules, but the nfls. At least for a little while.He goes without incident, and outplays mariota, I'll be very wrong.As i told hate, idgaf who they draft. Just long as i dont have to see anymore mccowns running like wounded ostriches, or that glennon guy throw away third downs.Cant bring me down off that high.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My problem with winston has simply been his off the field behavior. He's always shown to be a good qb.Mariota didnt carry that anvil, so i wouldve preferred him at qb.Idk if i would change that idea just yet either, as imvho, both are good qbs, and winston still has to reside by, not only societies rules, but the nfls. At least for a little while.He goes without incident, and outplays mariota, I'll be very wrong.As i told hate, idgaf who they draft. Just long as i dont have to see anymore mccowns running like wounded ostriches, or that glennon guy throw away third downs.Cant bring me down off that high.

Big time.  In my eyes, both guys will be legit franchise qb's.  And we all know that franchise qb's mean you have a much clearer path to the playoffs and a chance at the Super Bowl!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thought you were talking about Teddy Bridgewater for a second.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can we just stop with mariota threads....

Like it or not, these guys are joined at the hip and it seems to me your best course of action might be to not click on a thread with Mariota in the title.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As i told hate, idgaf who they draft. Just long as i dont have to see anymore mccowns running like wounded ostriches, or that glennon guy throw away third downs.Cant bring me down off that high.

Imagine being a player and having to watch that up close and personal every freakin day....no wonder they quit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can we just stop with mariota threads....

Bro, if we had drafted Mariota, there would be tons of Winston threads. It is what it is...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to mention they play each other week one. He’s relevant for now at least.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to mention they play each other week one. He's relevant for now at least.

True...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That doesn't mean we need new threads every time he plays a game. I think he looks very good for what they're asking him to do. I'm very interested in how poised and efficient he'll be when he's going up against a team that's game planned for him and that's sending pressure in his face. He could be in for a rude awakening, but I suppose we'll see in a couple weeks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston’s Y/C average is slightly less than Mariota’s so far.  Winston’s Y/A average is dramatically less.  That doesn’t gel with the OP’s observations, imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Air yards per completion would be interesting, but I really doubt anyone is tracking that for the preseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

both QBs playing well?  both coordinators calling good plays?  surprise surprise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maritota made some NFL level throws form the pccket but he also found out you can’t outrun many NFL defenders.

Please wait…

• 69ragtop

Participant

My technical football IQ ended a long time ago playing in high school. With that said people keep talking about Kwon being undersized .    Provided the sources I looked up are right I was looking at the following players for size comparison.  Kwon 6'1 227lbs  ( and he is only 21yo)Lawrence Taylor  6'3  237lbsJohn Lynch    6'2 220lbs  Yes I know he was a SS but in context of hitting and run stopping Ray Lewis      6'1 240lbs        Ronnie Lott 6'0 203lbs  Another safety so maybe he shouldn't be in the listDick Butkus  6'3 245lbs Mike Singletary  6.0 230lbsHardy Nickerson  6'2 230lbsLavonte David  6'1 233lbsDerrick Brooks 6'0 235lbs      Those are some pretty damn good players .  I don't think he is undersized it seems he is perfectly sized IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Titans are more concerned with developing a run game and an O’line to anchor it at this point. They already know what the very poised Mariota can do from practice, both passing and running the football. I think he had exactly 1 run in the first 2 pre-season games combined. Whisenhunt ain’t showing much, and we don’t really know what Koetter/Lovie will do once the season starts either.      Mariota and Winston's biggest curveball will be gauging how fast NFL safeties and linebackers are.    Yes, Mariota's yards-per-throw has been impressive, and will likely get even better when Dorial Green-Beckham gets fully healthy. That guy is a specimen; he even dwarfs Mike Evans in size, and looks a lot stronger...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota makes me think of Joe Montana a lot. I actually don't think Mariota will run that much in the NFL, unless his blocking breaks down. Montana did not either. Both were mobile and ran designed rollouts just to give opposing pass-rushers a moving target at times... Both smart and with that quick-twitch release; WHY would a QB who is dead-eye accurate hitting receivers in-stride want to throw a longer downfield pass to a guy tightly covered with LESS chance of completion? Mariota has gone downfield when he had a guy OPEN downfield, and hit him with ease. Titans under Whisenhunt have not been a jump-ball team; they run a lot of coordinated routes between multiple receivers...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s no denying it…so far…Mariota has looked like the better QB…

Please wait…

• aBuc727

Participant

I think he looks very good for what they're asking him to do. I'm very interested in how poised and efficient he'll be when he's going up against a team that's game planned for him and that's sending pressure in his face. He could be in for a rude awakening, but I suppose we'll see in a couple weeks.

KC game planned for him and their D blitzed at various times. He handled it well.Still only pre-season and means nothing in the standings.

Please wait…

• aBuc727

Participant

Maritota made some NFL level throws form the pccket but he also found out you can't outrun many NFL defenders.

He had two nice runs and one where he should have thrown the ball put of bounds instead of taking the sack. That's the play where he tried to get in Houston's face. Looks like he has the firethat so many said he lacked. http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/15486/titans-fired-up-that-marcus-mariota-was-fired-up-after-justin-houston-sack

Please wait…

• sunjem2626

Participant

So why does Winston have alot more snaps?

Please wait…

• ZMan08151992

There's no denying it...so far...Mariota has looked like the better QB...

its the preseason calm down....mariota also looked good in practice before the preaseason.....let these guys breathe for goodness sake....let them go throw the growing pains of being a rookie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well you have to feel sorry for anyone behind this o-line, Cleveland has an awesome D-Line, if you  can keep the Bucs from  running the ball at all, blitz and you will just Kill the Bucs, that will be the script for the whole season until and or if the O-line develops into something beyond a wet  paper bag…..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota is throwing the ball well right now. No denying that. Not sure why people are trying to make excuses against that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's no denying it...so far...Mariota has looked like the better QB...

its the preseason calm down....mariota also looked good in practice before the preaseason.....let these guys breathe for goodness sake....let them go throw the growing pains of being a rookie.

You calm down. He's just stating  the facts up to this point. Nothing more than that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota is throwing the ball well right now. No denying that. Not sure why people are trying to make excuses against that.

Exactly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly

Agendas get in the way...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly

Yup. I can only imagine how LOL threads we have had here if it was the other way around and Mariota had Jameis' preseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly

Yup. I can only imagine how LOL threads we have had here if it was the other way around and Mariota had Jameis' preseason.

Probably be on the front page of the local fish-wraps as well.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

solid gold.  lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So why does Winston have alot more snaps?

Um, different coaches? A better defense? The other teams opponents ran a lot?I really do not know the direct answer to that, but i do know winston amd mariota's playing styles will both need work.And its an assumption on my part, i really dont know what all mariota is doing atm. Watched a bit of him playing game one and two, However, most of us knew that mariota would have to somewhat relearn a pro offense. Even mariota said as much predraft. He did say that he would also work on it though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota played pretty well in Week 2 and was Okay in week 3. I am surprised at the Titans’ play calling in the pre-season. I know they’re probably holding stuff back for Sept 13 but they have been ultra-conservative, hardly exposing Mariota at all.As others have said, its been completely opposite with Winston. The Bucs seem to be trying throw every single scenario he can possibly face at him. He's struggled a bit but I've seen a lot of good things to be encouraged about with Winston.For Mariota, I just didn't see enough of him. I know he likes the short to intermediate routes and rarely challenges downfield. Not sure if that's just Whiz's offense, his choice or by design. In week 3 he finally started making a few plays out of the pocket, including one amazing throw down field on a scramble. He also learned last week that defenders are as fast as he is. If he tries that running around crap against our defense Kwon or Lavonte are going to knock him into next year.I really hate his body language. He reminds me of Cutler in that aspect.  His playing style I so far in the very small sample size provided is very Russell Wilson-esque. I don't think he's going to throw a ton of Touchdown passes but I don't think he's going to be the reason the Titans lose games. Their defense and offensive line/running game will take care of that. Titans are a bad, bad team - much worse off than the Bucs are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the very little it is worth:Odds on the Bucs to win the super bowl have gone from 125-1 to 100-1.Odds on Tenn to win the Super Bowl have gone from 175-1 to 185-1.We will see with our own eyes in 11 days

Please wait…

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.