Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• CaliBucsFan

Participant

Does anyone think Glennon starts this season?I actually think he's gonna have a legitimate shot in camp.  To start the season I think there's about a 1 in 3 chance.  Would be surprised if he didn't start at least one game at some point.  Any QB has a good chance to be successful with these weapons IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s pretty likely he starts week one. Thats JMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think there’s any chance that Glennon will start this year.  Lovie is going with his boy McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie wants a competition.  It’ll be interesting to watch what happens.  If Glennon doesn’t start at some point, the QBs in next draft should be a lot better than this one had to offer.  Step up or step out time for Glennon, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just hope its an honest competition and may the best man win.  Coaching staff is in a great position in regard to Glennon in that there is a chance that he could be the guy but will not automatically fail in the likely scenario that Glennon does.

Please wait…

• meassick

Participant

The only way he plays is if  There is an injury … McCown will play well and is way more mobile…IMO

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Glennon is our future. He will start when it’s time for our Superbowl run.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only way he plays is if  There is an injury ... McCown will play well and is way more mobile...IMO

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is our future. He will start when it's time for our Superbowl run.

So you don't think there is any chance the Bucs would possibly win the Super Bowl this year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does anyone think Glennon starts this season?I actually think he's gonna have a legitimate shot in camp.  To start the season I think there's about a 1 in 3 chance.  Would be surprised if he didn't start at least one game at some point.  Any QB has a good chance to be successful with these weapons IMO

He will surely get his shot. That being said, I think Lovie is going to go with McCown if both QBs play through training camp/pre-season and neither separate themselves from their competition. So, I think that the best scenario is one that involves no injures, of course, and Glennon as our 2014 starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, McCown hasn’t played a full season yet.  I suppose it’s about time, tho’…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He will surely get his shot. That being said, I think Lovie is going to go with McCown if both QBs play through training camp/pre-season and neither separate themselves from their competition. So, I think that the best scenario is one that involves no injures, of course, and Glennon as our 2014 starter.

I expect Mccown to start.  I'm also fairly sure that if Glennon has a good camp than Mccown's leash will be fairly short.  If at any point the losses start piling up expect Glennon to be inserted quickly.  Also, from an injury standpoint it remains to be seen if Mccown can start a full season, I don't think he ever has before.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Glennon is our future. He will start when it's time for our Superbowl run.

So you don't think there is any chance the Bucs would possibly win the Super Bowl this year?

No . Wild Card this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only way he plays is if  There is an injury ... McCown will play well and is way more mobile...IMO

+1

+2Or if we tank it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown last season attempted 224 passes and was sacked 11 times.  That is a rate of 1 sack every 20 attempts.  Passing average 8.2.Glennon last season attempted 416 passes and was sacked 40 times.  That is a rate of 1 sack every 11 attempts.  Passing average 6.3.McCown has the edge in both explosion downfield and taking half as many sacks.  McCown also looked sharper in the pre draft camp so he has the edge at the moment.  McCown is also more accurate than Glennon by about 6 percentage points.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the fact that McCown has a chance to prove to the world that he’s a starter and Glennon has a chance to prove he should be starting. We’re not just handing over the keys to the franchise to one guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the fact that McCown has a chance to prove to the world that he's a starter and Glennon has a chance to prove he should be starting. We're not just handing over the keys to the franchise to one guy.

Bingo, real competition.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the fact that McCown has a chance to prove to the world that he's a starter and Glennon has a chance to prove he should be starting. We're not just handing over the keys to the franchise to one guy.

Bingo, real competition.

Yeah you see all the real competition for, well, every actual good QB in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bingo, real competition.

Yeah you see all the real competition for, well, every actual good QB in the league.

At what cap hit?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want to see what Glennon can do in a way better system with better players. But if McCown is carrying over the level of play he had last year then I dont see him losing his starting role. Esspecially because I think we will be winning 8+ games this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mccown has 10 years in the NFL, not once did he start in all 16 games, just once did he have more than 10. He might have look really good last year…in a ‘solid’ system. But he faced just below average defenses, which had just game tape of him of the TWO games started in the previous FOUR seasons…36 com´pleted passes.I would say Glennnon has a real shot at starting this year, whether its by beating out good McCown(which would be best case) or McCown simply sucking too hard(aka no competition). Its up to him to earn it. While i doubt McCown being really good, he its still a nice measurement for Glennon as i do not think McCown sucks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He threw for around 350 yards for 3 games last year and around 70%,  He claims to be better and more accurate in his older age. Maybe its true or maybe its a fluke. One thing is for sure, he is getting all the weapons he needs to have the same success he had in his stint last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not much to see here, but a couple of the passes makes me think he knows his receivers have a size advantage and he’s willing to chuck it to them and bet on them. We drafted the one of the best receiver prospects Ive seen as far as betting on them to win the jump ball.Also looks like he doesnt always play it safe, which is a good thing. It concurs with the previous reports on the mini camp where they said McCown took a lot of chances (and seemed to connect on them) whereas Glennon was keeping it conservative. That shouldnt be a knock on Glennon though, Conservative can also be good sometimes  if the team is all around pretty good.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhGgnM28Qo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon will start if McCown goes down with an injury.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s the thing that worries me about all of this.We have a new hc/dc, oc, and a pile of FA's. Fact is, we should consider 8 and 8 a success. With that being said, whomever is qb, might get a bad rap if the expected scenario happens.Mccown should start for a number of reasons, but idk if it isn't possible for glennon to get the nod. He now has nfl experience, and lnl might feel like he meshes better with the twin towers. It also would be good to give him one more season, then ship him off if he sucks.But, with the timeframe, connection to lovie, last year's po bound performance, and the fa payoff...well, I say there is no argument as to who actually starts game one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have no doubt that Glennon see the field at some point through injury or poor production from McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dont think they want to rush things with Glennon.  They probably want to give him a year to absorb the playbook and get some mentorship from a vet.  I see McCown starting and playing well at that, but an injury to McCown and Glennon will probably take it from there on out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The two posts above me I’d have to agree with.Glennon will get a game or two this year, probably due to injury imvho. However, because of that, no one knows when..not if, or how long.They also have to "rewire" him a bit and install a "kill" button, as well as get him familiar to the system. All without letting him get killed in the meantime.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The two posts above me I'd have to agree with.Glennon will get a game or two this year, probably due to injury imvho. However, because of that, no one knows when..not if, or how long.They also have to "rewire" him a bit and install a "kill" button, as well as get him familiar to the system. All without letting him get killed in the meantime.

I agree as well.  Also, from the statements made by the GM about McCown being like another coach and that he is working with Glennon and the process is working tells me they plan to use McCown as the starter and let Glennon learn this year.  But, with the current state of the OL, I just don’t think he will make it through the year without getting injured and missing games.  The OL scares me as it currently sits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie has already proclaimed him a starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boid,True.  But, with the way the OL looks now, I don't think the starter will make it thru the year without missing games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

When talking about which QB is better, mobility is like the 10th most important thing but the first thing the anti-glennonites mention. Yeah we get it, he isn't very fast, okay, that would matter if he were a WR. Matters much much much less at QB unless Tedfords scheme is really stolen from the Navy playbook.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

When talking about which QB is better, mobility is like the 10th most important thing but the first thing the anti-glennonites mention. Yeah we get it, he isn't very fast, okay, that would matter if he were a WR. Matters much much much less at QB unless Tedfords scheme is really stolen from the Navy playbook.

This is so true.  The freeze-option isn't going to seep into our playbook anytime soon.  Most Glennon detractors will get on board once we start winning games with him under center.  There is no trend towards mobility at the QB spot.  The trend now, and as long as their are linebackers running 4.4 40's, will always be, can your QB while in the pocket, read opposing defenses and throw first downs.  Saying it's more fun to root for a mobile  QB is a different conversation all together.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I swear people just regurgitate what ESPN says. Vick and RGIII are the fastest QBs to ever play the position and how have their careers gone so far? Mobility is a bail out, what you use when you’ve failed at the first and most important part of your job as a QB.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

I have seen top rated rookies come in the nfl with awesome coaches and awesome players and did terrible.  Not that im a big Glennon fan but it just really makes me mad now that they have the players and the coaches and they give the job to Josh.  I would love to see how well Glennon would do with this whole new staff.

Please wait…

• meassick

Participant

I think Glennon is really accurate and will be a good player….but I agree with lovie , that MCCown will be better  now …

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boid, True.  But, with the way the OL looks now, I don't think the starter will make it thru the year without missing games.

The offensive line should be considerably better than last season and no quarterback missed time with injury last season so there's no reason to think this will happen beyond a random fluke.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

You can't get sacked as much as he did in 2013 and you can't throw the ball away when you're about to be sacked as much as he did in 2013 and still have a functional offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

You can't get sacked as much as he did in 2013 and you can't throw the ball away when you're about to be sacked as much as he did in 2013 and still have a functional offense.

My bet is that QB play improves in both of these categories regardless of who the QB is. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t really see a path to Glennon starting this season barring a) injury; b) a massive collapse from McCown during the season.  I just can’t see the kind of preseason disparity you’d need in order to flip the order by day 1. Possible, I suppose, but I think unlikely.  Regardless of who the QB is I don't think Lovie will have a quick hook. I think the QB is really going to have to screw up to lose the job.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really see a path to Glennon starting this season barring a) injury; b) a massive collapse from McCown during the season.  I just can't see the kind of preseason disparity you'd need in order to flip the order by day 1. Possible, I suppose, but I think unlikely.  Regardless of who the QB is I don't think Lovie will have a quick hook. I think the QB is really going to have to screw up to lose the job.

McCown will get starters reps in camp and it is his job to lose.  That's about all we really know.  But I agree, whomever starts will really have to screw fido before the hook comes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a good chance the Bucs are holding on to him to increase his trade value….After pre-season games and the approaching trade deadline, injuries will boost his value into a 3rd rounder ....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What did Glennon have as support last season? I don’t know many rookie QBs that can succeed in an environment like the one Glennon was in last year. Nobody in recent memory has. People can compare rookie QBs to Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck all they want but those guys had some solid teams around them already. Especially Wilson. I think Glennon was pretty good considering what he had around him. I think the early pronouncing McCown the starter was more a strategy to get McCown here. If you remember he told teams he wanted a starting job and wasn't likely to go anywhere where he was back up. Lovie probably said hey your the starter if you come here. Doesn't mean he's the starter all year. It's still McCowns job to lose but I think if Glennon comes in next preseason and plays well he may put some pressure on Lovie to put him in sooner than later. Especially if McCown loses games early.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's a good chance the Bucs are holding on to him to increase his trade value....After pre-season games and the approaching trade deadline, injuries will boost his value into a 3rd rounder ....

I'll mention it again.  There are no plans this upcoming season to do anything other than ride with McCown and Glennon.  Glennon will not be traded, they will not try to up his value to trade him for a higher draft pick, he's not going anywhere. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's a good chance the Bucs are holding on to him to increase his trade value....After pre-season games and the approaching trade deadline, injuries will boost his value into a 3rd rounder ....

Agreed. If not, we have a cheap and capable backup. We can address the QB issue next offseason.

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

Lovie proclaimed McCown the starter of camp claiming he wanted someone he was immediately comfortable with who could jump in.  Mike Glennon can learn leadership moxie and good habits (like McCown orchestrating voluntary team meetings).  This to me doesn’t reduce Glennons value or chances to play.  It just improves the team as a whole and lets Glennon step in when / if they feel comfortable (which I think will happen).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie proclaimed McCown the starter of camp claiming he wanted someone he was immediately comfortable with who could jump in.  Mike Glennon can learn leadership moxie and good habits (like McCown orchestrating voluntary team meetings).  This to me doesn't reduce Glennons value or chances to play.  It just improves the team as a whole and lets Glennon step in when / if they feel comfortable (which I think will happen).

Doesn't seem like that's what Lovie's plan is. Smith hopes that McCown can excel in his first two years in Tampa Bay to the point where he can earn another short-term contract to close out his career in four or five more years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie proclaimed McCown the starter of camp claiming he wanted someone he was immediately comfortable with who could jump in.  Mike Glennon can learn leadership moxie and good habits (like McCown orchestrating voluntary team meetings).  This to me doesn't reduce Glennons value or chances to play.  It just improves the team as a whole and lets Glennon step in when / if they feel comfortable (which I think will happen).

Doesn't seem like that's what Lovie's plan is. [i]Smith hopes that McCown can excel in his first two years in Tampa Bay to the point where he can earn another short-term contract to close out his career in four or five more years.[/i]

It would be very nice if it worked out this way....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesn't seem like that's what Lovie's plan is. Smith hopes that McCown can excel in his first two years in Tampa Bay to the point where he can earn another short-term contract to close out his career in four or five more years.

I read the fab 5 also and if that were to happen I'd be thrilled to have 4years of competency at QB.  Between his performance ion Chicago last season and the leadership displayed here so far there is reason to hope that Mccown is all of a sudden a more than capable starter.  That being said, IMO Glennon  also proved he could play reasonably well in a terrible situation last season.  There is a chance he could show marked improvement  with what should be a vastly improved surrounding cast.  Either way we are pinning our hopes on an unproven commodity and there are far more young quarterbacks who's game developed, Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young etc  than there have been old ones,Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, anyone else?  Here's to hoping at least one of them pans out.

Please wait…

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.