Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 6 reply threads

• Author

• MagicMike

Participant

This is where the NFL is headed.  You need an offensive minded head coach with a defensive coordinator that runs a 3-4 defense. When we fired Schiano, I was banging the drum for Ken Wisenhunt.  He didn't fare much better last season, but he is an innovative offensive mind who has found a great 3-4 defensive coordinator.  I bemoaned the Lovie hire, as even Raheem Morris recognized that the Tampa 2 defense had passed its prime. I'm not sure who I would hire this time around, but right now my short list would include Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Stanford HC David Shaw, Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin, Seahawks OC Derrell Bevell, and Bears OC Adam Gase.  I would also seriously consider Dirk Koetter as a potential HC candidate as well.In my interviews, I would ask them how they would utilize the talent we have, and grill them on their offensive philosophy.  I would want to see innovative thoughts that combine elements of a pro-style NFL offense with some elements of a spread offense that most colleges are shifting to.  I would insist that they run a 3-4 defense, as players are increasingly becoming bigger and faster meaning that there are more available players that fit into the 3-4 system better than the 4-3.  I would want my defensive coordinator to run hybrid blitzes, much like Eagles DC Bill Davis, who happens to run a 3-4 defense.  Thoughts?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m definitely on board for an offensive minded head coach if the organization decides to move on from Lovie. I think it would help with Winston’s development.A 3-4 defense also has me interested because of the type of athletic pass rushers we're seeing come out year after year and we pass up because they're not a "fit".

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

Lavonte wouldn’t be the right fit in a 3-4 imo. Maybe we need a defensive coordinator who actually will blitz once in awhile unlike bum Lovie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

whats the matter with the seahawks 43?  or even how the falcons looked last night against the chip kellys?passrushers can work in any system if they can rush.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve changed my tune over the years and am with MagicMike on the offensive HC. The reason I've changed my mind is that a) the league is increasingly offense-first; b) I think continuity is much more important on offense, and if the HC is the architect of the offensive philosophy, the team can survive the loss of OCs. Defensively I have a mild preference for a 4-3. That said, I'm in favor of so-called "multiple look" defenses, rather than pure 3-4 or 4-3. I think McCoy works in some styles of 3-4 defense (though he's built to play this D), but I don't think Lavonte fits well at all. In fact, Daniel Jeremiah recently was talking about David and said that when he was coming out, a lot of his scouting friends from 3-4 teams told him they hated watching him. They could recognize he was a great player, but they also felt like he wouldn't fit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please send all resume's to the red board  for screening!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah let’s turn over the roster again to fit a 3-4 defense. McCoy and David, two players signed to huge deals don’t even fit in that defense.  I don’t understand the belief that we can make the playoffs sooner by firing coaching staff after coaching staff. 

Please wait…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.