Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• leeroybuc93

Participant

We were in this game before the refs took over with the horrible OPI on Evans and that imaginary 1st down by Brees. I have no idea if we would have won or not, but that’s not the point. I am losing interest in the NFL because of this. I’m 40 years old, I’ve been watching the NFL my whole life, and all of the sudden I don’t understand the rules anymore because I legitimately believe the referees don’t either.

• bucDsystem

Participant

exactly – the refs neither know the rules or care about the correct calls

• leeroybuc93

Participant

This is the crisis they need to be paying attention to. Concussions and player safety will financially hurt the people that own the teams after them, but officiating is hurting them now. Somehow making pass interference reviewable has made all PI calls even worse??? NFL games are exercises in absurdity anymore.

• tampaspicer

Participant

Anyone see the 4th and 1 where Williams was offside in front of the ref?

• JC5100

Participant

There was OPI on Brate on the play anyway. He was literally drive blocking the DB to make sure he couldn’t get in the slant window. Dumb ass Mark Cook was trying to say it was defensive holding.

When you’re this bad you can’t complain about the officials.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

There was OPI on Brate on the play anyway. He was literally drive blocking the DB to make sure he couldn’t get in the slant window. Dumb ass Mark Cook was trying to say it was defensive holding.

When you’re this bad you can’t complain about the officials.

I absolutely can. I’m not doing it on behalf of the Bucs. I’m complaining on behalf of football. The games don’t even matter anymore. Whatever happens just seems to be at the whim of a bunch of incompetent referees and whatever mood they’re in that day.

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL … ‘in the game’. We weren’t really that close and even if you want to make believe that we march down and get a TD there we’re still down with no ability to stop the NO offense. It’s complete fantasy to think we were ‘in the game’. It wasn’t over over, but come on, be realistic. NO is a much better team than us and was just coasting in for the win and would have scored if they needed to.

• bculaw

Participant

LOL … ‘in the game’. We weren’t really that close and even if you want to make believe that we march down and get a TD there we’re still down with no ability to stop the NO offense. It’s complete fantasy to think we were ‘in the game’. It wasn’t over over, but come on, be realistic. NO is a much better team than us and was just coasting in for the win and would have scored if they needed to.

I dont know.  The Saints are clearly a better team, but that OPI on 4th and 1 was a difference-making call. A TD on that possession brings us to within 3, I think, with a lot of football to play.

The Zebras have had far too much say in the outcome of Bucs games this year. Today was not as bad as the Titans game, but we are seeing very questionable calls every week with the League seemingly having no intention of actually getting to the right result via replay.

• tog

Participant

Ah yes…. the refs!

Officiating is a problem across the NFL because the NFL has over-complicated the rule book (+HD and slow mo video allowing us to see things the refs can’t).

But the refs didn’t screw the Bucs. You don’t think the fans on the other side (when the Bucs win) aren’t saying the same thing?

Every loser complains about the refs.

• tog

Participant

P.S. the Bucs offernse got 5 first downs from penalties, the Saints 0.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dont know.  The Saints are clearly a better team, but that OPI on 4th and 1 was a difference-making call. A TD on that possession brings us to within 3, I think, with a lot of football to play.

Huge assumption that we even get the TD there, but whatever. The Saints’ win probability never dropped below 88% in the second half. There was little chance of a comeback.

We lead the league in shooting ourselves in our dicks… I doubt we score on that drive even if the PI was overturned.

• Northside

Participant

The worst part is that they add in a review mechanism to give us hope that they’re going to get it right and they seem to fuck it up even worse by confirming their inexcusable calls.

• bculaw

Participant

Not assuming we would have scored. But, the awful PI call, and refusal to overturn it, assured that we did not score on a very critical drive in the game.

Let me be clear: this team sucks. Bad officiating doesn’t change that fact. But, for a bad team that is not good enough to overcome bad calls, bad officiating adds to a long list of reasons why it absolutely sucks to be a Bucs fan.

• tog

Participant

The worst part is that they add in a review mechanism to give us hope that they’re going to get it right and they seem to fuck it up even worse by confirming their inexcusable calls.

“Give us hope”… lol.

Yes, the NFL has messed up pass interference review. BUT IT’S THE SAME FOR EVERYONE.

There is no “hope”. Every NFL coach (and everyone else) has known for weeks now that almost no PI calls are getting overturned (it’s like 5%).

If you have hope, that’s on you. Well…. really on Arians for stupidly wasting timeouts and challenges on things that won’t get overturned.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

Ah yes…. the refs!

Officiating is a problem across the NFL because the NFL has over-complicated the rule book (+HD and slow mo video allowing us to see things the refs can’t).

But the refs didn’t screw the Bucs. You don’t think the fans on the other side (when the Bucs win) aren’t saying the same thing?

Are you guys having problems reading? It seems so. AGAIN, I’m not blaming the refs for the Bucs. We suck dick as a team. I’m blaming the refs for ruining football. I don’t recognize the sport anymore.

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• Nobody

Participant

Lol wow.

I love this avalanche of officiating-indicting videos/pictures.

I’m feeling a little Joker-esque about the NFL these days.

• Havok904

Participant

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Christine Arians
      @ChrisArians
      ·
      3m
      It’s not one rule. It’s poorly trained unaccountable people calling and reviewing the games.

• NotDeadYet

Participant

And I’m a Desaun Watson/DeAndre Hopkins hype hater, but that was clearly PI…

• Mic

Participant

I can’t watch any NFL games on TV anymore don’t wanna support this, only way to make em change is hit em in the pocketbooks.

• Tunnelvizn

Participant

What a brilliant statement .  Let’s not complain about the things that are wrong or broken .  Do you even listen to yourself ?

• Nobody

Participant

Winning and losing isn’t outright orthogonal to my primary issue with the NFL officiating paradigm, but it is definitely slightly oblique to it.

1)  The agency of a game is a spectrum that looks like this:

player/team agency <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> officiating agency

Due to the NFL ruleset becoming increasingly opaque and loaded with (high margin-of-error) subjectivity, while simultaneously being extremely swingy and overly punitive in its enforcement (eg Illegal Contact, or not, on 3rd and 12 leading to a new set of downs or a change of possession), the agency of individual play outcomes and the trajectory of play broadly has definitely shifted rather significantly to the right from its prior point leftward on the spectrum.

I’m not comfortable with any of that.

Know what else I’m not comfortable with?

2)  Older, not-world-peak-mental-processing (which is what should be required to officiate this game), not in peak physical condition so sometimes they’re out of position for too long in key moments, not held to account nearly enough by the league office while simultaneously insulated by the league from criticism, part time job at over 6 figures officials running this shit-show.

And again, I sympathize.  The league’s current ruleset is just impossible to adjudicate in real time (while simultaneously the league is terrible at coming up with an instant replay system).

I find the whole thing just ridiculously frustrating.  There are amazing engineers and brilliant game designers (some of them physicists themselves) and actual past players with a mind for the subject who should be the primary consultants for the league in coming up with a ruleset that (a) incorporates safety (which includes collision modelling and actual data) while (b) keeping the action going and (c) minimizing the intrusiveness of referee signal.

But it seems to me that the league is overwhelmingly not going this route to conceive its ruleset.  Its seems to me that raw CYA (and consultants related to that CYA) is the significant dictating factor in ruleset conception.  Either that, or these people are just morbidly incompetent (which is certainly possible).

• The Anti-Java

Participant

I keep holding out hope they use robotic officiating sometime in my lifetime. The subjective calls are a killer.

• Nobody

Participant

I keep holding out hope they use robotic officiating sometime in my lifetime. The subjective calls are a killer.

The technology should almost surely be available in your lifetime.

This league desperately needs complex collision modeling and AI for its refereeing.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Good teams get the calls their way… bad teams don’t.

• NotDeadYet

Participant

The NFL also needs to upgrade at their HQ too; the Hopkins non-call was challenged because it was plain obvious, and HQ did not correct it…

• tog

Participant

Officiating is atrocious across the NFL, we can all agree on that (and the underlying reasons for the problem). It’s a mess and has been for a while. I’ve beaten this horse since they introduced NFL targeting rules.

One of the positives about being a fan of a shitty team is that I get much, much less upset about bad officiating now because the outcomes of games don’t matter.

I do have a question though. Did the officiating Sunday help or hurt the Bucs? I’m seeing lots of posts/twitter complaining about the officiating. Yes, it was bad. But in total did it hurt or help the Bucs.

I submit:

Saints penalties: 9-76
      Bucs: 7-55

Of those, Bucs got 5 offensive first down via penalty. Saints got 0.

Even factoring in the terrible Evans OPI (who leads the league in generating DPIs) and Brees “lunge” first down, I wonder if the officials called more calls favorable to the Bucs then otherwise?

• Havok904

Participant

I submit:

Saints penalties: 9-76
      Bucs: 7-55

Of those, Bucs got 5 offensive first down via penalty. Saints got 0.
      _____
      The impact of the timing, the circumstances, and consequences of penalties during a game still eludes you.

A bad calls have more of a impact on less talented teams than the teams with more talent.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.