Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 21 reply threads

• Author

• obuc

Participant

Brate was paid 4.5 mil last year, this year . . . 6.5 mil. Little doubt that they would like to keep him but no way he makes more than the 4.5 .

do you think, and is it a good move to drop him completely to clear the 6.5 or talk him down to 4.5 and use the 2 to sign , or help sign a 4net or AB ?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I’d keep Brate over Lenny or AB.

• seekpar

Participant

I’ll celeBRATE when they sign him to a new deal with a team friendly discount.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Given OJ Howard and Gronk’s injury past as well as how Brate was clutch in the playoffs, it would be ill advised to get rid of Brate.

I think we should certainly ask him to take 2 million less to be comparable with last year but no way get rid of him.

Given the use of voided years, why not just keep it going to sign AB and Fournette and we have Brate as a great insurance policy/favorite target of Brady in the event one of Howard or Gronk miss time?

• BucBalla85

Participant

Brate is solid and has been for this team for years. Reliable pass catcher too. I’d welcome a restructure to free up some cash but I don’t think I want to cut him.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

More likely they extend him than trade him at this point IMO.

Build the trenches!

• Boid Fink

Participant

He’s solid depth.

Bucs should be focused on signing AB. WRs got banged up a lot last year, he keeps the alpha mentality alive in the WR room. And in the field.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

He’s the most underappreciated player on this team by our fan base. Some people still value OJ “see ya on IR” Howard over Brate.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Frosted Flakes good? They’re BRRRRRRRRRRRRATE!!!!!

• seekpar

Participant

Trade OJ for draft capital and keep Brate.

• watson

Participant

Keeping Brate is a luxury that the team probably can’t afford this year. With the salaries of Gronk…..8 million……Howard….6 million and even if Brate reduces his contract to 4 million you would have 18 million…..1 tenth of your salary cap….tied up in that position. I got these numbers from one of the Pewter Podcasts.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Keeping Brate is a luxury that the team probably can’t afford this year. With the salaries of Gronk…..8 million……Howard….6 million and even if Brate reduces his contract to 4 million you would have 18 million…..1 tenth of your salary cap….tied up in that position. I got these numbers from one of the Pewter Podcasts.

But haven’t you heard that they count like 50,000 in total against the cap due to voided years.

OJ Howard has yet to play 16 games in a season and in 2 of the 4 years, he has missed more than 6 games.

Last year was the first year since 2011 that Gronk has played in all 16 games and let’s be honest, he wasn’t going full speed until about week 6.

I’d be shocked if Brate wasn’t on the team next year. I think he was due a roster bonus a few days ago so if anything were to happen, probably should have happened last week.

I understand it’s crazy to have 3 starting caliber tight ends but the top two guys are injury prone.

• watson

Participant

But haven’t you heard that they count like 50,000 in total against the cap due to voided years.

OJ Howard has yet to play 16 games in a season and in 2 of the 4 years, he has missed more than 6 games.

Last year was the first year since 2011 that Gronk has played in all 16 games and let’s be honest, he wasn’t going full speed until about week 6.

I’d be shocked if Brate wasn’t on the team next year. I think he was due a roster bonus a few days ago so if anything were to happen, probably should have happened last week.

I understand it’s crazy to have 3 starting caliber tight ends but the top two guys are injury prone.

IF I understood what the PR guys said on the Podcast, the only salary that is reduced this year is Gronks and it still counts something like 4 million.

I too like keeping Brate, but it might not be possible……

• BadabingBucs

Participant

IF I understood what the PR guys said on the Podcast, the only salary that is reduced this year is Gronks and it still counts something like 4 million.

I too like keeping Brate, but it might not be possible……

I completely agree that Brate needs to take a pay cut but im suggesting similar to last year where he was $4M.

i’m actually surprised it wasn’t already done.

with OJ, you really give him this year to prove he can stay healthy. If he misses another half a season type performance, move on from him. Which is why, they shouldn’t be extending him just yet to reduce cap hit.

• Roy

Participant

Brate is a dependable receiver. 2020 regular season he was targeted 34 times and made 28 receptions with zero drops. In the playoffs he was targeted 19 times and caught 14. That’s good isn’t it? That speaks to not just Brate’s ability, but the connection Brady had with him. You can’t just bring a guy off the practice squad and duplicate that kind of contribution. We need to keep Brate around somehow.

• ratiffshabang

Participant

It baffles me how much disrespect Brate gets on here. Basically bc he doesn’t blow you away with athletism, people downplay how good he really is. The guy is the ultimate team player, and never looks like the moment is too big for him. You don’t dump your most reliable player, when your other two options have trouble staying healthy. We are def in kind of difficult place as this is likely Gronk’s last season with us and OJs last year on his contract. However, Howard has ultimately proven very little, can’t stay healthy and he drops WAYYYYYYY too many passes. Fans get wowed over a few big plays he makes, and forget his drops. I’d like to see what the Bucs can get for him, if they wait and he gets hurt again then they have zero leverage.

• RW

Participant

I’d keep Brate over Lenny or AB.

AB and Lenny are far more valuable than Brate. Brate benefited because OJ was hurt, and Gronk had to stay in and block. That and the fact teams would cover CG, RG, ME and AB with their best guys. Brate was always being covered by a marginal defender.

• KyBucfan51

Participant

Bucs won’t let Brate go he will restructure like the other guys players like him should be on the roster.

• Jon Gruden

Participant

Trade overrated OJ and keep Brate

• RudeGuy

Participant

This is for those trade OJ people. The dude is coming back from an injury that most players are never the same after. Good luck with trade offers.

• Roy

Participant

This is for those trade OJ people. The dude is coming back from an injury that most players are never the same after. Good luck with trade offers.

I think another team who needs a #1 TE will take the chance on Howard at his current deal. We have a #1 TE and that’s the difference. Whether you want to call Howard #2 or #1A, we already have Gronk and Howard is worth more to another team who has more of a need for a one year TE rental. We may only get a 6th Rounder or something, but the point would be to clear some cap room to sign a couple free agents. I’d like to see the Bucs draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd so the Bucs won’t be left empty handed in 2022.

• RudeGuy

Participant

I think another team who needs a #1 TE will take the chance on Howard at his current deal. We have a #1 TE and that’s the difference. Whether you want to call Howard #2 or #1A, we already have Gronk and Howard is worth more to another team who has more of a need for a one year TE rental. We may only get a 6th Rounder or something, but the point would be to clear some cap room to sign a couple free agents. I’d like to see the Bucs draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd so the Bucs won’t be left empty handed in 2022.

OJ has one year left on his contract coming back from a surgery that takes almost a year to play full NFL contact. He most likely won’t be ready to start the season and if he does will not be 100%. Now you would have to add him learning a new system with no camp or preseason games. They would be lucky to get a 4th rd pick for him. I don’t see it happening.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.