Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• TCB2W!

Participant

First off, let me say they were only .07 seconds between their 40 times, and most measurables were very similar other than the vertical jump where Pitts has a 3.5″advantage and everything else some won a few here and lost a few there. Even looking at several drafting reports for both they seem to say the same about both tight ends. Even both good at high pointing the ball. The only knocks I saw on Howard were that he dropped balls. The second is that he was a good but not overpowering blocker which is the exact same knock on Pitts. I don’t understand all the gaga love for Pitts if they are almost identical. I know OJ was touted out of college but not as much as Pitts.

• BucsSavant

Participant

First off, let me say they were only .07 seconds between their 40 times, and most measurables were very similar other than the vertical jump where Pitts has a 3.5″advantage and everything else some won a few here and lost a few there. Even looking at several drafting reports for both they seem to say the same about both tight ends. Even both good at high pointing the ball. The only knocks I saw on Howard were that he dropped balls. The second is that he was a good but not overpowering blocker which is the exact same knock on Pitts. I don’t understand all the gaga love for Pitts if they are almost identical. I know OJ was touted out of college but not as much as Pitts.

Similar athletes, but I think the knock on Howard was always that he was “more athlete than football player”, while that doesn’t seem to be the case with Pitts. That being said, it looked like Howard was one of the first the develop real chemistry early on with Brady, and if he can stay healthy this year would be interesting to see if he can finally have his long-awaited breakout.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Pitts is far superior.

He plays football.

oJ Howard is a cheerleader.

• harrybucman

Participant

I guarantee you Bruce totally disagrees with your evaluation of OJ. Oh, I forgot, you are a better evaluator of talent than everyone up at OBP. By the end of next season you will have enough crow to feed a family of 12 for a year. A legend in your own mind.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Similar athletes, but I think the knock on Howard was always that he was “more athlete than football player”, while that doesn’t seem to be the case with Pitts. That being said, it looked like Howard was one of the first the develop real chemistry early on with Brady, and if he can stay healthy this year would be interesting to see if he can finally have his long-awaited breakout.

And Howard has proven the stereotype to be correct. He’s had some good moments, but “athletes” tend to get hurt more than “football players” because they take care of themselves in different ways. Howard has finished EVERY SINGLE SEASON on the IR.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Exactly true. He was definitely developing rapport with Brady on the field. He is a decent blocker, willing. He made some really nasty catches before getting hurt. I am really hoping he stays healthy because what a weapon…he still had wheels and hopefully still does.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I guarantee you Bruce totally disagrees with your evaluation of OJ. Oh, I forgot, you are a better evaluator of talent than everyone up at OBP. By the end of next season you will have enough crow to feed a family of 12 for a year. A legend in your own mind.

The best ability is availability my friend.

OJ hasnt finished a season yet.

Last year in Tampa, thankfully.

• harrybucman

Participant

I am a Florida alum and a die hard Gator fan. Pitts is a freakish athlete. But he was unavailable for four games last year and hasn’t been available for one down in the NFL just yet. Everyone knows Howard’s injury history, but you can’t deny his talent. And I would think a real Bucs fan would hope he has several pro-bowl type years because that would greatly benefit our team.

• Runole

Participant

Hopefully, OJ can finally have an injury free year.

• Schwifty9

Participant

I was a big proponent of OJ Howard going into the 2017 draft and jumped for joy when he fell to us. Unfortunately an injury marred first 4 seasons have been largely disappointing. But he’s done some special things when healthy and did indeed seem to be developing good chemistry with Brady before he tore his achilles tendon. And I have high hopes for him if he can ever stay healthy.

But he and Kyle Pitts are completely different players. And Pitts is a much more natural receiver coming out of Florida than OJ was coming out of Bama. Where OJ is more stiff in the hips despite being about as explosive going north and south, Pitts is a much more fluid athlete/ route runner.

They both have insanely high ceilings as athletes but Pitts, despite being a worse blocker, is overall a better football player.

• Donkey

Participant

Who cares? Gronk is most likely better than both those guys.

• seekpar

Participant

OJ’s season will be over by the bye week…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I am a Florida alum and a die hard Gator fan. Pitts is a freakish athlete. But he was unavailable for four games last year and hasn’t been available for one down in the NFL just yet. Everyone knows Howard’s injury history, but you can’t deny his talent. And I would think a real Bucs fan would hope he has several pro-bowl type years because that would greatly benefit our team.

Howd we fare without him last year?

Obviously I’d love to see him stay healthy.

Not expecting it, however.

• ratiffshabang

Participant

If we are comparing them both coming out of college….I’d take Pitts. I’m as diehard of a Bucs fan as you can be and will always root hard/support who we draft. However, OJ is def athlete over player. It was the case in college and the case thus far in the NFL. He has unreliable hands (plus injuries) and consistently drops very catchable balls. Tbh the drops frustrate me more than the injuries. OJ will make a huge play, and then drop a ball that hits him in the chest. Pitts, in college, shows much more consistent play

• BucsBay

Participant

I think OJ could have a big year if he could stay healthy, big if I know. I could just be crazy, but him tearing his achilleas after Deion high stepping his big ass half way down the field earlier on a TD, maybe in some way he caused that to himself? It is a contract year for him though, and I hope he does go off for us and get paid somewhere and get us a comp pick.

• Boid Fink

Participant

OJ is a legit physical talent who caught some unfortunate injuries. He could have good numbers otherwise.

But honestly, Pitts 10 out of 10 times, just because we know what OJ is, but Pitts has way more upside. He put on a show for the Gators.

• obuc

Participant

If i were howard, while injured i would have spent 6 hours a day on a football passing machine.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I think the point here, is that Pitts is being anointed a stud before he’s done a damn thing.

So many things can happen… from injuries to scheme to whatever.

I’m honestly not all that scared of Pitts… he reminds me of Evan Engram.

Pitts has a long way to go, and he may be a stud… but it’s just as likely that Howard has a bounce back year imo.

So many things can happen.

• BucD

Participant

I mean, athletically they are somewhat similar, but Pitts looks like a much better football player on the field as college comparisons go. Obviously we have to see what Pitts does at the NFL level, but I doubt he’ll be anything but exceptional.

OJ’s gotta stay healthy and his hands have been inconsistent catching the ball which are big, legitimate knocks on his game.

• Runole

Participant

Pitts is a talented big WR playing TE.

The often injured Howard is a good athletic tight end.

• buc-in-out

Participant

How’s Pitts blocking? I’d imagine the Falcons use him like the Chiefs use Kelce, split out wide or in the slot fairly often.

• Runole

Participant

How’s Pitts blocking? I’d imagine the Falcons use him like the Chiefs use Kelce, split out wide or in the slot fairly often.

agree

Pitts will make them more one dimensional as they will live and die by the pass.

Pitts will never be the blocker both Gronk,Howard,and Brate already are.

• TCB2W!

Participant

Brate blocks?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

About as well as Winston throws

• Boid Fink

Participant

Brate is a crappy blocker.

agree

Pitts will make them more one dimensional as they will live and die by the pass.

Pitts will never be the blocker both Gronk,Howard,and Brate already are.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Clearly, you don’t know much about their HC.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Early reports are that Arthur Smith will not be employing the same offense as he did in Tenn because he doesn’t have a Derrick Henry. He’ll be leaning on the passing game more. Mike Davis was alright, but he’s clearly no Derrick Henry.

• Runole

Participant

Early reports are that Arthur Smith will not be employing the same offense as he did in Tenn because he doesn’t have a Derrick Henry. He’ll be leaning on the passing game more. Mike Davis was alright, but he’s clearly no Derrick Henry.

correct! There is no Henry in the backfield and Pitts is not going to produce holes with his blocking. Apparently, my including of Brate on his blocking released a hornets nest of disagreement. So Pitts is a better NFL blocker based on what?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I’ve seen a number of reports of Smith acknowledging that he doesn’t have a stud back like Henry and will rely heavily on a RBBC approach.

Regardless, I don’t think Ryan will be airing it out as much as he’s been asked the last few seasons.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I’ve seen a number of reports of Smith acknowledging that he doesn’t have a stud back like Henry and will rely heavily on a RBBC approach.

Regardless, I don’t think Ryan will be airing it out as much as he’s been asked the last few seasons.

Yeah I’m sure they’re going to try to have a more balanced approach on offense. Their Oline has been horrendous at run blocking, so I imagine they’re going to run a lot of 12 personnel with Hurst and Pitts on the field at the same time.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Arthur Smith helped Jonnu Smith, a late third rounder, get a $50M contract. I hated that the Falcons drafted Pitts. I thought Smith and Brian Daboll were the most creative OC’s last season. I hope he sucks as a HC, but Arthur Smith will know how to use Pitts.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

When you have Derrick Henry, average players look better like Smith.

The Falcons don’t have the line or talent at RB so…

Not exactly the same…

All that said, Falcons as whole I think are much improved and finish 2nd in the division

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.