Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• Colin in Canada

Participant

It seems I may be the only one who is a little uneasy about the possibility of using a high draft pick on Mack or Barr.  Mack has been consistantly mocked in the first round to the bucs at 7 and barr even higher. Mack seems like he could be an impact player in the NFL who may solve the problems that the bucs have rushing the passer. Mack compares to Von Miller, Clay Matthews, Bruce Irvin, etc.  However, Mack also compares to a number of huge busts in the NFL also.  Like the dreade d first round of 2009 which featured Arron Curry at #4,Arron maybin #11 Larry English #16. All busts. At this point in the draft process the articles about Mack and Barr could be interchangable with Curry from 2009.  Curry was the can't miss prospect of that draft class. The draft articles used stuff like every team can use a good OLB and mock drafts could argue he was the BPA for every team after the top 5. This all seems similar to Mack and Barr. Curry might be the Barr of this draft and maybe Mack is more like the Maybin or English but either way my point is that its extremely difficult to project these playmaking OLBs. Im not saying we shouldnt draft Barr or Mack.  In the imortal words of Walter White we should "tread lightly" with these Pass rushing or playmaking OLB prospects. Obviously the response to this will be that they are different players which is true.  Just throwing it out there. If we pick at 7 we better not miss. Thats my point.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If your first name contains an “a” followed by two “r’s” you are going to be a bust. That’s just science there.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh yeah, you should chime in on one of the other threads about Mack. Makes it easier for everyone.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh yeah, you should chime in on one of the other threads about Mack. Makes it easier for everyone.

Yea my bad. Didnt see the other active threads there.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The first thing that came to mind that ‘Motor’ is the difference maker between your list of busts and hits.Does Mack have that motor?

• Anonymous

Inactive

The lists of potential busts we could take at #7 is limitless.  They are all potential busts, drafting is all about mitigating risk and taking who you feel the best about not being a bust/fitting a need/value at that draft position.

• Anonymous

Inactive

much truth about risk…Makes me wonder how much risk  Licht/Smith will be willing to take on...  especially with the projects in this draft.  Their predecessors were highly risk adverse,  and that spelled their doom IMO.

• Anonymous

Inactive

much truth about risk...Makes me wonder how much risk  Licht/Smith will be willing to take on...  especially with the projects in this draft.  Their predecessors were highly risk adverse,  and that spelled their doom IMO.

Wouldnt hate it if their plan was to try and stock pile picks next year to get us two 1sts and two 2nds next season.  If they trade back twice its very possible.  Would give us the ammo next year to grab a QB we like if they roll with Glennon.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with you OP. If we need a undersized speed rusher go for one in the 3rd or later. Neither of these guys are Von Miller.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its not based on much, but my hunch is Lovie would rather sign a veteran DE to round out production. The lines a veteran group on the cusps of huge production wig a new staff.Id bet $$ our picks on O... line or WR.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Curry was never a serious pass rusher in college so he’s a bad comparison to Mack.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Curry was never a serious pass rusher in college so he's a bad comparison to Mack.

terrible comparison

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, Aaron Maybin was a bean pole and couldn’t handle the physical nature of the NFL. Mack is a rock. aaron.maybin.jpg 021b.jpg

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, Aaron Maybin was a bean pole and couldn't handle the physical nature of the NFL. Mack is a rock. aaron.maybin.jpg 021b.jpg

jesus ya he is

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, Aaron Maybin was a bean pole and couldn't handle the physical nature of the NFL. Mack is a rock. aaron.maybin.jpg 021b.jpg

jesus ya he is

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433Maybin was 6"4 250lbs and had 12 sacks his senior year. So maybe your pic is a little off bud. Either way im just saying that every year the hybrids get a lot of hype and a lot dont pan out.

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju3wFsGPNwJust watching some of his vid now. I just don't see him fitting. Against Ohio this is.Analysis: Positives;: He is really good at shooting gaps. If an OL gets out of position he will run right through the hole to the QB .He is really good at locating the ball and has great awareness of where the ball is at all times, on both running and passing downs. In run defense he has the ability to run through the holes that are available to track down the ball carrier, while moving laterally and avoiding contact. He is fast once he gets moving a bit.Good tackler who does a good job of wrapping up. Negatives:Looks like a DLineman out in pass coverage. He loses track of the ball and that seems to throw him off when he focuses on the receiver instead of the ball. He lacks the ability to flip his hips and run in pass coverage and often looks out of position. Needs a lot of work in pass defense. He can get stymied trying to rush up the middle if there are no holes. Doesn't display a bull rush at all. While fast at top speed lacks initial quickness in pass coverage. He gets out-physicalled when a lineman gets his hands on him. Does not use his hands well to disengage blockers. Further analysis tells me that this kid has the potential to be one of the best 3-4 LB'S a few years down the road if he gets drafted into the right system. In the wrong system, like a 4-3 defense he would not be able to reach his potential. He does not have the strength to play 4-3 DE,  evidenced by his lack of a bull rush and lack of a consistent edge rush. . He would be hard pressed to beat an NFL LT.

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju3wFsGPNwJust watching some of his vid now. I just don't see him fitting. Against Ohio this is.Analysis: Positives;: He is really good at shooting gaps. If an OL gets out of position he will run right through the hole to the QB .He is really good at locating the ball and has great awareness of where the ball is at all times, on both running and passing downs. In run defense he has the ability to run through the holes that are available to track down the ball carrier, while moving laterally and avoiding contact. He is fast once he gets moving a bit.Good tackler who does a good job of wrapping up. Negatives:Looks like a DLineman out in pass coverage. He loses track of the ball and that seems to throw him off when he focuses on the receiver instead of the ball. He lacks the ability to flip his hips and run in pass coverage and often looks out of position. Needs a lot of work in pass defense. He can get stymied trying to rush up the middle if there are no holes. Doesn't display a bull rush at all. While fast at top speed lacks initial quickness in pass coverage. He gets out-physicalled when a lineman gets his hands on him. Does not use his hands well to disengage blockers. Further analysis tells me that this kid has the potential to be one of the best 3-4 LB'S a few years down the road if he gets drafted into the right system. In the wrong system, like a 4-3 defense he would not be able to reach his potential. He does not have the strength to play 4-3 DE,  evidenced by his lack of a bull rush and lack of a consistent edge rush. . He would be hard pressed to beat an NFL LT.

I got to disagree with you man.  All your PROS and CONS point to him being a much better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB.  Good at shooting gaps, locating the ball, and tackling.  Poor at pass coverage and lacks top end speed.  Why do you think that makes him a fit for a OLB?  Look at the tape from the UGA or Ohio St game and then tell me he doesnt have the strength to play DE.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I got to disagree with you man.  All your PROS and CONS point to him being a much better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB.  Good at shooting gaps, locating the ball, and tackling.  Poor at pass coverage and lacks top end speed.  Why do you think that makes him a fit for a OLB?  Look at the tape from the UGA or Ohio St game and then tell me he doesnt have the strength to play DE.

His lack of cover ability limits him to a 3-4 LB where he can be put on the edge or when he does drop into coverage he would be covering a small area.He could also work out in the middle in a 3-4.I don't see him working out as a 4-3 DE at all. He needs a big 5 technique to shelter him out on the edge. He is more of a gap shooter than he is a physical player. He doesn't have any handwork to speak of no array of pass rush moves and no bull rush. IMO there is absolutely no indication that he could be a full time lineman. 4-3 LB is out of the question . We will only have 2 LB'S on the field for a vast majority of the plays in today's league. A 4-3 LB nowadays needs to be very good in pass defense. He is dreadful in coverage. Right now Mack is the most overrated defensive player in the entire draft IMO. It's easy to get caught up watching all the splash plays and highlights but when you dig a bit deeper you find that this kid is not a perfect player. Far from it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Too much hype: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draftThey are saying possible no.1 overall?  I think he compares to Ray Lewis. If I was running a 3-4 defense I would be excited about him. His footwork can be improved and he can be sufficient as a 3-4 MLB. He's not there yet though. It's going to take the right situation for him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You think a guy you compare to ray Lewis is overrated?

• Anonymous

Inactive

You think a guy you compare to ray Lewis is overrated?

They are saying no.1 overall! Yes for a player like this that is very overrated. Ray Lewis would have been a disaster in a 4-3 defense as well.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ray Lewis was fantastic in the 4-3 earlier in his career.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mack would e way down my board.  You can get a situational pass rusher later.  If we drafted him over a stud ot or WR we are screwed.  If we ran a 3-4 I probably don’t worry about spending a late 1st on him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Both Mack and Barr….while good college players, I don’t see either of them pro bowl talent.And if Tampa drafts either, there isn't enough defensive front 7 talent for either of them to make an impact.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.