Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• tampaspicer

Participant

Reconnected with a old friend recently on Facebook. What I read on his page threw me off. This guy was the nicest most chill neutral person you could meet. His page is now full of far right and conspiracy stuff. A lot of gun stuff too. I’m not sure what changed but this guy was never political or owned a gun. He left Florida and moved to Tennessee in the mountains several years ago. Now he’s prepped and ready for a civil war. Has he become a product of his surroundings? It’s crazy how drastic of a change he has made for the worst.

• Col. Klink

Participant

The human mind is a dark, mysterious, and for the most part, unpredictable thing ……

• Roy

Participant

Well people like that need people like you to try to talk some sense to them or at least let them know there is an alternate perspective. People live in an echo chamber on the internet where they only communicate with people of their like mind. They don’t hear other opinions. Everyone should be exposed to a variety of opinions, but unfortunately that doesn’t happen.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

My dad once voted for Nader.

Now he is hardcore MAGA and retired

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now he’s prepped and ready for a civil war. Has he become a product of his surroundings? It’s crazy how drastic of a change he has made for the worst.

Obviously this is a generalization, but you can see the tilt toward (exploited) extremism right here in the Cove and certainly is the most hardcore Trump supporters. I say exploited because these people are sold a “cure” to their own pre-conceived notions that secret forces are aligned against them, whether that be the “Deep State” or a bunch of pedophiles or any one of the many things you see posted here by a NUMBER of posters.

Its somewhat comical in discussion here because so many posters here are conspiracy theorist BUT it has a very, very real and sad side to it as well:

“THE Nashville bomber hoped he would be “hailed a hero” for targeting an AT&T building because he believed 5G tech was killing people, it is claimed.

Police are also reportedly probing whether Anthony Quinn Warner’s paranoia was fuelled by the death of his dementia-ridden dad – who worked for an AT&T subsidiary.

Warner, 63, who died at the site of the bomb blast, was “heavily into conspiracy theories”, a report says.

According to the Daily Mail, Warner believed 5G was the “root of all deaths in the region”.

Baseless conspiracy theories have emerged online this year about ultra-fast 5G internet including that it’s a tool to spy on people.

Another wild claim is that the broadband network has fueled the spread of Covid-19.

Since Warner has been named as the bomber, police have reportedly seized his electronic devices from this home in Antioch, Nashville.

A source told the Mail: “We are waiting on the digital footprint that should finally provide us with some answers.

“The unofficial motive thus far is the suspect believed 5G was the root of all deaths in the region and he’d be hailed a hero.”

THE PROBLEM IS THAT SO MANY DISMISS THIS STUFF AND DISMISS AN EVENT LIKE NASHVILEE AS SORT OF A “ONE OFF” EVENT BY A KOOK . . . even though there have been multiple event during Trump’s time in the WH (when this conspiracy stuff was fueled for political gain)

• Anonymous

Inactive

The strange disconnect is that Trumpism is in many ways a reflection of peoples displeasure with government in general. Trumpism today begins with the Tea party years ago.

I say disconnect because the people who voted for Trump largely did so as way to voice their anger over broken and corrupt government by electing an “outsider.” Its just that they picked the wrong OUTSIDER because he’s more corrupt than the government

So, some 2016 Trump voters saw that they made a mistake in picking the outsider and they left him in 2020. The problem is that his hardest of hardcore just see Trump’s own corrupt failings as the product of a conspiracy: the Establishment aligned against him. That borders on NUTZ, but you can see that argument all over the alt-right interweb.

Georgia is a great example. One of the President’s lawyers, Lin Wood, has called for a boycott of the GA Senate race (because the GA GOP is “corrupt” for not doing Trump’s bidding lol) and the jailing of Loeffler and Perdue. Here in the Cove, One Truth says Trump’s biggest sycophant, VP Pence, is now part of the conspiracy.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

tampaspicer,

I just “fact checked” your story about your friend– and it was deemed false.

The fact checkers say it was 100% made-up.

• tampaspicer

Participant

tampaspicer,

I just “fact checked” your story about your friend– and it was deemed false.

The fact checkers say it was 100% made-up.

I assure you I don’t make shit up and do my own research on just about everything. I’m no puppet on a string like your racist ass. I follow no one.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

No, your story was made-up.

I’ve got the transcripts here.

It’s sad that the LoserfgtDem Party is resorting to disinformation…

• tampaspicer

Participant

Independent here

• FireLicht2020

Participant

The strange disconnect is that Trumpism is in many ways a reflection of peoples displeasure with government in general. Trumpism today begins with the Tea party years ago.

I say disconnect because the people who voted for Trump largely did so as way to voice their anger over broken and corrupt government by electing an “outsider.” Its just that they picked the wrong OUTSIDER because he’s more corrupt than the government

So, some 2016 Trump voters saw that they made a mistake in picking the outsider and they left him in 2020. The problem is that his hardest of hardcore just see Trump’s own corrupt failings as the product of a conspiracy: the Establishment aligned against him. That borders on NUTZ, but you can see that argument all over the alt-right interweb.

Georgia is a great example. One of the President’s lawyers, Lin Wood, has called for a boycott of the GA Senate race (because the GA GOP is “corrupt” for not doing Trump’s bidding lol) and the jailing of Loeffler and Perdue. Here in the Cove, One Truth says Trump’s biggest sycophant, VP Pence, is now part of the conspiracy.

My dad went Nader, then no vote, then tea party, then MAGA…

So clearly you have a good point. An interesting case study into that paradigm.

• spartan

Participant

Reconnected with a old friend recently on Facebook. What I read on his page threw me off. This guy was the nicest most chill neutral person you could meet. His page is now full of far right and conspiracy stuff. A lot of gun stuff too. I’m not sure what changed but this guy was never political or owned a gun. He left Florida and moved to Tennessee in the mountains several years ago. Now he’s prepped and ready for a civil war. Has he become a product of his surroundings? It’s crazy how drastic of a change he has made for the worst.

I don’t know what is on your friends facebook page or how he interacts with others on the web, but I do believe you are heading in the right direction where he is a product of his surroundings. However probably not in the way you are thinking. You just have to look at the response here to your OP and see how anyone who even so much as paid lip service to supporting Trump is incorporated under the umbrella of hard core Trump fruit bat. Some are deserving of it I admit, but not everyone. But they are treated so.

Your friend may well have moved to a place where not everyone who owns a gun is a alt right nut job. Not everyone who supports or sympathizes with Trump is a complete idiot and moron. Once the veneer of the alt right moonbat starts peeling away he may well have started looking at things from a different perspective. I have a friend who was a total city dweller here in Florida, moved to Tennessee funny enough and now cannot get enough of hunting or the outdoors. Experiencing and seeing it with your own eyes often shreds the picture you have been spoon fed.

• Col. Klink

Participant

You just have to look at the response here to your OP and see how anyone who even so much as paid lip service to supporting Trump is incorporated under the umbrella of hard core Trump fruit bat. Some are deserving of it I admit, but not everyone. But they are treated so.

Your friend may well have moved to a place where not everyone who owns a gun is a alt right nut job. Not everyone who supports or sympathizes with Trump is a complete idiot and moron.

In his OP he did specify that his friend’s FB was full of far right and conspiracy stuff. I think that separates him from the kinder, gentler Trump supporters you’re referring to …….. and I do agree with you that there are some ….. because I refuse to believe there are 75 million bat shit crazy OT’s out there.

• spartan

Participant

In his OP he did specify that his friend’s FB was full of far right and conspiracy stuff.

Which is why I prefaced my post with I don’t know what’s on it; and there are some fruit bats out there of all persuasions. I won’t dispute that.

I guess my general point is that not everything that is deemed to be not of the progressive ilk is instantly of the alt right genre. Just look at it objectively. For example I have about 2 months of food in my house and I speak on occasion about “when the revolution comes” and “the zombie invasion”. Primarily they are metaphors for events like Katrina.

Or of course he could be an absolute whoop ding, and I don’t think that is a corner dominated by any particular political leaning. :)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Primarily

:-)

• Anonymous

Inactive

“ Former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is going all in on the QAnon conspiracy theory, promoting an online store to sell QAnon hats and T-shirts, the proceeds of which will benefit his partnership with a prominent QAnon booster.”

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.