Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 65 reply threads

• Author

• BucBalla85

Participant

I am so happy we won this game and think we should enjoy it for the rest of the week but next week is Houston. I think we can win the game if our defense plays like it did today. Offense should improve as Winston gets more comfortable. JJ Watt is a great player though. What do you guys think of the matchup?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the offense will struggle to score points so the defense will have to keep them in it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that we’ve discovered how to play defense, I like our chances. Mallett doesn’t scare me!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we have a legitimate chance to win if we don’t turn the ball over

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope Koetter works a little extra with Winston on his screen passes. This year, he’s already been picked on one of them and nearly picked on two more. It scares me against a guy like Watt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mallet was pretty bad today. A big intentional grounding penalty late. He looked lost. We have a shot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Game will be interesting. It’ll come down to Winston v Mallet b/c I don’t see any teams running the ball well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if defense plays well like today, special teams may make the difference… and thankfully, our special teams looked pretty good today… after preseason, I was very, very afraid of our “special” teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I predict a 3+ sack game for Watt. We have a revolving door at LT.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I am so happy we won this game and think we should enjoy it for the rest of the week but next week is Houston. I think we can win the game if our defense plays like it did today. Offense should improve as Winston gets more comfortable. JJ Watt is a great player though. What do you guys think of the matchup?

depends on which bucs team will show up.  todays, or last weeks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watt plays LDE

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does Houston play the 3-4? If so, I’m hoping that between getting smoked in the Cleveland game and Tennessee, the offense finally has picked up a clue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that they know what total failure feels like they might start to fight, each game.They will win a lot if they keep coming out all ticked off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This game is going to be a toss up. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This game is going to be a toss up.

Agreed. If our lines play like the way they played today, we can win this thing. I'm just not sure I trust them to do so.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought the Houston game would be harder than the Saints game. The potential for Watt to really wreck things is there. It's not insurmountable, but tough matchup for us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought the Houston game would be harder than the Saints game. The potential for Watt to really wreck things is there. It's not insurmountable, but tough matchup for us.

Cam ran all them today. 80 yards or thereabouts. I know Winston is not as mobile, but maybe Dougie can have a big day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does Houston play the 3-4? If so, I'm hoping that between getting smoked in the Cleveland game and Tennessee, the offense finally has picked up a clue.

Bucs have sucked against 3-4 Ds since forever. I have my doubts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does Houston play the 3-4? If so, I'm hoping that between getting smoked in the Cleveland game and Tennessee, the offense finally has picked up a clue.

Bucs have sucked against 3-4 Ds since forever. I have my doubts.

They do, it has, and we all saw what it can do to this offense.Still, if lovie, winston, someone can manufacture that type of fire they had in NO, they can win this one. It was the key to winning last game, and it will decide the next.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Houston will be a tough game. Just some bad match ups.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

Game will be interesting. It'll come down to Winston v Mallet b/c I don't see any teams running the ball well.

Why is that. Houston is #25 against the run right now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This may seem odd, but I only care about two things this game.  Winston can blow and the defense suck, but for me, the story is all Marpet and D Smith.  The game against the Saints proved that with a functioning Oline this offense can work and Winston has the potential to be a very good QB.  With Smith and Marpet going against Watts and Clowney, I think this will give us a very good look into their future.  I know, it won’t line up exactly like that, but its a near certainty that, be it from a stunt or straight up head to head, each one will face one of the best players in the league and a DE with huge potential.  This will easily be the biggest test for the Oline so far, and maybe this year. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that we've discovered how to play defense, I like our chances. Mallett doesn't scare me!!

I didn't see him as a pro much.  But as an SEC fan, I know this kid can throw it. I think it's okay to be scarred...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Game will be interesting. It'll come down to Winston v Mallet b/c I don't see any teams running the ball well.

Because Jamaal Charles and Stewart yards per carry sit around 3.8Which means they are capable of slowing the run down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gotta minimize the penalties and play turnover free to have a chance. Texans present a lot of Mis matches.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mallett had 58 passing attempts against the Panthers but only 244 passing yards to show for it.  Shut down the run and the Bucs might have a chance against the Texans.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

Because Jamaal Charles and Stewart yards per carry sit around 3.8Which means they are capable of slowing the run down.

They haven't in 2 games thus far. The team is #25 out of 32. You are what your record says you are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not the same Houston team in recent years, they’re only weapon is Dhop , their best corner is 5’10 Kareem Jackson, JonJo has lost a step and Watt isn’t getting much help, but he is gonna be needed to be doubled all gameHit some quick screens slow down the watt, go deep on play action gonna be a hard fought game because their defense is gonna keep them in it, unless Jameis can suck the life out of them and have them stare 0-3 in the faceWe need to just BALL out there and come in with mindset were stomping them out, come prepared and ready like how we were against the Saints, can't come out soft against a loud Houston crowd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mallett had 58 passing attempts against the Panthers but only 244 passing yards to show for it.  Shut down the run and the Bucs might have a chance against the Texans.

+1I watched the end of that game, Mallett looked completely lost and confused.  He also had a TERRIBLE grounding penalty.  Having said all of that, we all know Tampa's history against "backup" or no name QB's. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's after letting a QB run for a ton of yards yesterday, so that's a little misleading.  Winston is not Cam Newton

Newton seemed to feed off that energy.He threw TD passes of 25 yards to Ted Ginn Jr. and 36 yards to Philly Brown and ran for 76 yards , including his highlight reel 2-yard TD run to give Carolina the lead for good at 17-10 late in the third quarter

The Panthers RB ran at about a 3.6 clip, not bad but not great either. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1I watched the end of that game, Mallett looked completely lost and confused.  He also had a TERRIBLE grounding penalty.  Having said all of that, we all know Tampa's history against "backup" or no name QB's.

Yeah unlike Brees, Mallett has a rocket of an arm and can throw downfield with ease.  Still, with so many pass attempts that surprised me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clowney has been a bust there so far. Wouldn’t it be a Buc life to see him break out this week? I think we can win this game if our defense is able to play like it did against the saints. Keep the offense simple for Winston in running the ball and getting him in play action passes. Hopefully Martin and Sims can keep it up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Need to do the same thing on defense as we did last week.  Play good against the run, and limit big plays in the passing game.  I think if the D can be disciplined, we will force Mallett into some bad throws.As for the offense, it will be hard to run on first and second down with Wilfork in there.  Need to be able to pass on those downs.  I think we will actually see quite a bit of shotgun next week, and may see more Charles Simms in the running game.  I think we could see run/pass option out of a zone read look out of Tampa, as Carolina had some success throwing out of that formation.  I think VJax, Evans, Murphy, and ASJ will give the Texans trouble, but have to be able to pass block.  Cherilus has looked shaky thus far, but he has experience going up against Watt.  ASJ had a good game blocking so have to hope that he can help out there.  Nervous about Smith against Clowney.  I also think we may see Watt playing on the interior more.  I would definitely want to line my All Pro against a D-III rookie and whoever we trot out at center on Sunday.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith is playing pretty well for a rookie LT. How many sacks has he given up so far?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could that mishmash of a oline be coming together?  This week it's time to clean up those penalties. Run, play action, don't fall behind by 3 scores before I'm done with my pregame piss (hold over from week one). Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we could see run/pass option out of a zone read look out of Tampa, as Carolina had some success throwing out of that formation. 

Wait, you think the bucs will have jambo run option plays?  Like straight up read the de and maybe rush the ball? re: GRIII, Mariotta, Newton... ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we could see run/pass option out of a zone read look out of Tampa, as Carolina had some success throwing out of that formation. 

Wait, you think the bucs will have jambo run option plays?  Like straight up read the de and maybe rush the ball? re: GRIII, Mariotta, Newton... ?

He won't run it.  He will run/pass option out of the zone read.  Like what Kelly has run with Foles and Bradford or what we saw a ton of from Mariota.  Lots of teams run the run/pass option out of the zone read where the option is not whether the QB or the RB runs the ball, it is whether the QB keeps it and it is a pass play, or he hands it off if the DE is out of position.  I don't think we run it exclusively, but it is a look that can help deal with the pass rush.I do think we will try and run the ball with Sims out of the shotgun.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won't run it.  He will run/pass option out of the zone read.  Like what Kelly has run with Foles and Bradford or what we saw a ton of from Mariota.  Lots of teams run the run/pass option out of the zone read where the option is not whether the QB or the RB runs the ball, it is whether the QB keeps it and it is a pass play, or he hands it off if the DE is out of position.  I don't think we run it exclusively, but it is a look that can help deal with the pass rush.I do think we will try and run the ball with Sims out of the shotgun.

I got it. Really misread it the first time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gonna be a tough game for us. Another road game coming off a decent Texans team that has started off the season 0-2. They are going to come out ready to play. Also, gonna be a big test for our o-line as the Texans have one of the most talented d-lines in the NFL and run the 3-4 which we have seemed to struggle with.Hopefully Koetter can get creative and run a lot of screens and plays that are going to get the ball out of Winston's hands quickly. We're gonna need Martin and Sims to continue to show up and give us a good running game, or things could get bad on the offense.In order to win this one, our D is gonna have to play like they did yesterday and continue forcing turnovers. If they can generate at least 2 or 3 turnovers and maybe even return one back for 6, I like our chances.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Houston is a tough match up…The Houston Offense can be contained, it’s the defense that scares me…They're probably designing plays based on the Cleveland and Titans games...34 Defenses will continue to give us fits....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nope.... no need to...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Establish the run, play action pass, and protecting Jameis should be the primary goals on offense. I think they should also sprinkle in some more shotgun draws and designed runs because it looks like Jameis is very comfortable back there.Defense needs to stop the run, pressure Mallet, and limit the big plays.If we do this then a win could be in the cards for us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

absolutely no idea what to expect from this team. We could win, we could get blown out.JJ Watt scares me. Really hoping Jameis stays healthy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah lets pray everybody especially Jameis stays healthy. On another note I would like to see Winston and Mike Evans build a connection on the field. It already looks like Winston and ASJ have a really good connection which is nice to see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that we've discovered how to play defense, I like our chances. Mallett doesn't scare me!!

Crappy/Back-Up QB's usually torch our Buccaneer's defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

EVERY game is a tough game when you're in Red & Pewter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Injuries-take-toll-on-Texans-offensive-line-6518156.phpHouston's Oline is in trouble...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds like their starting right and left tackles are out.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Sounds like their starting right and left tackles are out.

Smith bought to have another good day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’re 6.5 point dogs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They might have Foster back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They might have Foster back.

Possible. But I'm wondering how effective he'll really be. According to this article, he had surgery on Aug 7th for a injury that typically takes 3 months to heal. Can he really come back in 45 days and be effective? (link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13684974/arian-foster-houston-texans-week-2 ).Even if he comes back, Houston has major problems with their offensive line. I'm not saying that we should win Sunday, but I think Houston may have problems putting points on the board IF we can get another good effort out of our defense. Even a hurt Brees is probably a better quarterback than Ryan Mallett. We're 6.5 point dogs at this point, I wonder if that won't come down a bit more before Sunday. I think we have a chance. A good chance if the defense plays well again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a winnable game if we avoid the big mistake. Houston’s D can take over a game, so I’m looking for the same game plan as last week. Shoot I’m looking for that same game plan every week. Run the ball, take timely shots, and grind out the win. Alfred Blue, while not a star, is the type of bruising back we struggle against. We contained Spiller and Ingram, but struggled against Khiry. Bill O'Brian is a smart coach. You know he will see that. Let's get a big days from our kicker, and a few big shots downfield!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Houston is a tough match up...The Houston Offense can be contained, it's the defense that scares me...They're probably designing plays based on the Cleveland and Titans games...34 Defenses will continue to give us fits....

I keep reading this here over and over and though I'm not comparing talent, isn't Rob Ryan running a 3-4 D in Nola? What am I missing here?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like our chances. Mallett was trash. His play has dominated talk radio today.I see Conte snagging another pick.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

I gotta say, we got lucky on Sunday. A few less drops by the Saints, and a few less penalty calls that go our way could have swayed the outcome.The texans D will not be nearly as porous as the Saints'. After re-watching the game, I realized that everything we did on offense was set up by the running game, which we had pretty his success at.If we can't run against the Texans, I hope we have a back up plan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I gotta say, we got lucky on Sunday. A few less drops by the Saints, and a few less penalty calls that go our way could have swayed the outcome.The texans D will not be nearly as porous as the Saints'. After re-watching the game, I realized that everything we did on offense was set up by the running game, which we had pretty his success at.If we can't run against the Texans, I hope we have a back up plan.

The flags were pretty evenly divided though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I say we focus on blocking Clowney really well so they trade him to us for Glennon straight up.  Clowney belongs in a 4-3

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JJ Watt versus Cherilus?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JJ Watt versus Cherilus?

Whoever has JJ is going to have help all game methinks..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clowney has been a bust there so far. Wouldn't it be a Buc life to see him break out this week? I think we can win this game if our defense is able to play like it did against the saints. Keep the offense simple for Winston in running the ball and getting him in play action passes. Hopefully Martin and Sims can keep it up.

Clowney has been a bust so far? Did I miss something? I thought he was just injured. That would be like calling McCoy a bust early in his career

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The flags were pretty evenly divided though.

I re-watched the game last night and I agree with BB above. While the penalties were evenly divided, we got some calls that we probably shouldn't have and they came at some critical times. Brees was better than the stats indicate as well. Yes, he had some bad passes, but he had some passes dropped that would have made first downs. Overall though, the defense played a good game. They got good pressure on Brees and shutdown the Saints running game. The linebackers did their job. If we can play the same way, we'll make Mallet uncomfortable in the pocket and I saw a stat from another site yesterday that indicated that Mallet played really poorly when he faced pressure (of course that was last game, Winston looked bad under pressure against the Titans, but looked fine against the Saints).Houston's offensive line is probably in much worse shape than ours is right now. I think our defensive line will do well and stop the Houston run game and pressure Mallet. However, I think Houston's defensive line will do as well against our line. Maybe, we might be able to run. Maybe. If our line can somehow play well enough to give Winston some time, ultimately we'll score some points. I like our talent at WR over Houston's. This game is likely to go to the 4th quarter with either side having a chance to win unless turnovers play a big part in the game and that could be our ace in the hole. The defense has forced turnovers all through preseason and into the regular season. Houston I think has only 1 takeaway though 2 games, we've forced 6 fumbles, recovering 2 plus an interception. I think we have to have a bit of an edge there. I think this game will ultimately come down to Winston vs. Mallet. Winston needs to be what he was against the Saints. Taking the passes that are there, doing a better job of throwing away plays that aren't there, avoiding turnovers and just moving the chains. Do that, and I believe we win.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Defense better show up big time.Last I checked, we can't pass block.Offense isn't going to win this one...Ultimately, I think we lose...unfortunately...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mallet was pretty bad today. A big intentional grounding penalty late. He looked lost. We have a shot.

Mallet is the worst QB in the NFL right now according to PFF. Houston's defense is very good so far. A tough and low scoring match up.Houton's defense is allowing only 27% 3rd down conversion. It'll be the pass rush vs Winston. Could be a tough match up for the Bucs.I'm feeling a close loss.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can say the same thing about the Bucs.  If Winston hits ASJ or VJax in the endzone instead of a FG.  Or ASJ's drop on a wide open play.  Or JW hitting Murphy (I believe) in stride versus no YAC.  How many fumbles did the Saints have versus how many we recovered?  We left a good bit of points on the field, so I'm not sure how "lucky" we were.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

EVERY game is a tough game when you're in Red & Pewter.

No doubt.  Thinking we should be in nail biting mode all season....

Please wait…

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.