Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 37 reply threads

• Author

• Suffer76

Participant

I was accused for being strange for questioning this team’s 11-5 record. 11-5 is a great record, but when you break it down how great is it really? We played a very weak schedule, and only beat one team that has a winning record. 4 out of the 5 teams we lost to have winning records. The opponent records from our wins is 60-84, while our opponent records in losses is 44-20. We are lucky to be playing a bad team in our opener, but from there we will face teams with winning records, which we failed to beat 4 out of 5 contests this season.

With that, I will say the team appears to be hitting the stride we all expected much sooner. If we played any of those teams we lost to now I think we have a chance to win against every one of them except the Saints who just seem to have our number regardless.

So I am really mixed on this. This team can beat any team in this league on any Sunday if it is firing on all cylinders, which it has been lately. For that I am hopeful. But this record against winning teams causes me concern nonetheless.

In the end, that is why they play the game…..so GO BUCS!

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Lots of people think like Steve Smith that the Bucs are frauds, while others believe we are top dawgs when they haven’t proven it just yet. Truth is somewhere in the middle imo, but its a weird year and Bucs are clicking although against trash teams. Who knows what we actually have in this team, just gonna have to wait and see.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

If we somehow avoid NO, optimistic.

If we get them, good nighg nurse.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Lots of people think like Steve Smith that the Bucs are frauds, while others believe we are top dawgs when they haven’t proven it just yet. Truth is somewhere in the middle imo,

That’s where I’m at.

Our record against teams with winning records speaks volumes.

Facing a tough defense in the first round. While I like us in this matchup, I’m quite surprised that a vast majority of the fan base has already chalked it up as an easy win.

• TURBO

Participant

Lots of people think like Steve Smith that the Bucs are frauds, while others believe we are top dawgs when they haven’t proven it just yet. Truth is somewhere in the middle imo,

That’s where I’m at.

Facing a tough defense in the first round. While I like us in this matchup, I’m quite surprised that a vast majority of the fan base has already chalked it up as an easy win.

Nothing will be an easy win from here on out. It’s asinine to say so.

Going to be tough from here on out, no matter who we play.

• Suffer76

Participant

That’s where I’m at.

I would not say an easy win, but if you could pick any post-season team to play in the first round Washington should be on everyone’s list.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

That’s where I’m at.

Disagree.

WFT we could show up and beat.

Just like the Lions a few weeks prior.

If we lose to an Alex Smith(great story, great guy mind you) led WFT BA needs to be fired yesterday.

Our playoffs start round 2.

I’m honestly a bit offended the spread opened at -7.5. Lawl.

• Lawdy

Participant

its not weird to question the 11-5 but at the same time how good is anybody really? out of the 12 wins for the seahawks, only 1 came against a playoff team (rams). out of the saints 12 wins, only 2 came against a team over 500(bucs) and 1 other win came against a “playoff” team(8-8 bears). the packers seem to be the most legit because they got 2 solid wins against the titans and saints, and 2 others against the “playoff” team(8-8 bears). so the bucs 1 win against a team with a winning record is the best of them all, and they straight killed em

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I’m optimistic because I think we can score with anyone in the NFL now that our offense has hit its stride. That said, I don’t see our D winning us any games. If the offense sputters against a team that can score we’re in trouble.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Exactly.

Were they the “easiest” draw of who made it in? Most likely.

But, are they a doormat who’s going to roll over like some are suggesting? Absolutely not.

• Bucman

Participant

Packers haven’t beat anyone either.

None of that matters now. Season starts Sunday.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I was accused for being strange for questioning this team’s 11-5 record. 11-5 is a great record, but when you break it down how great is it really? We played a very weak schedule, and only beat one team that has a winning record. 4 out of the 5 teams we lost to have winning records. The opponent records from our wins is 60-84, while our opponent records in losses is 44-20. We are lucky to be playing a bad team in our opener, but from there we will face teams with winning records, which we failed to beat 4 out of 5 contests this season.

Honestly, you could break down every team’s record this same way. Green Bay really only beat two good teams in NO and TEN, while losing to TB and IND. New Orleans beat Tampa twice, but who is the other good team they beat? The overtime win vs. the 8-8 Bears? And they lost to GB and KC, not to mention the Raiders and Eagles. At least the Bucs only lost to playoff teams.

• JC5100

Participant

Bucs went 10-0 vs non playoff and 1-5 vs playoff teams.

Packers went 9-1 vs non playoff teams and 4-2 vs playoff teams.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Bucs went 10-0 vs non playoff and 1-5 vs playoff teams.

Packers went 9-1 vs non playoff teams and 4-2 vs playoff teams.

Again, this is counting the 8-8 Bears as a “playoff” team. While technically true, they don’t qualify as a “winning team” that the OP referenced.

• Natural Selection

Participant

We played a very easy schedule? By what matrix?

The opponents records cited show a cumulative .500 and the sos used by the NFL to break ties in draft order shows 13 teams with weaker schedules (tied with Chicago for 14th easiest out of 32 teams).

Seems like we are objectively in the middle of the average schedule for difficulty. You could argue we are slightly on the easier side of average.

• rm71

Participant

If you use opponent average Power Rankings position as an index, then the Bucs had the 14th hardest schedule in the NFL this season. Saints were 19th, Chiefs 22nd, Packers 26th, Ravens 28th, Steelers 29th, WFT 30th, and the Colts at 32 had the easiest schedule.

I think this is a more nuanced measure than win-loss — not all wins and losses are equal.

See: http://powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think they are capable of going on a deep run. Also think they are “capable” of losing to the wft. A little luck will be needed and we have to get the right match ups. Which probably means that avoiding NO would help our cause. Although for some reason I feel like we can beat them if some things go right for us. I honestly am just hoping we can get a playoff win and go from there. One game at a time.

• Watchman

Participant

I’m typically more of a pessimistic fan, and of any of the NFC East teams that were possible, the WFT is the team I wanted the least. Their D-line has the ability to be a significant problem.

The wildcard game has the potential to be a CHI or NYG type of game from earlier this season.

The Bucs D, quite honestly, isn’t stopping anyone’s passing attack right now. If WFT can put consistent pressure on Brady that could be a problem. RoJo will be important in this game.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I’m typically more of a pessimistic fan, and of any of the NFC East teams that were possible, the WFT is the team I wanted the least. Their D-line has the ability to be a significant problem.

The wildcard game has the potential to be a CHI or NYG type of game from earlier this season.

The Bucs D, quite honestly, isn’t stopping anyone’s passing attack right now. If WFT can put consistent pressure on Brady that could be a problem. RoJo will be important in this game.

Davis will be back.

Smbs confidence is growing.

If wft passed for mord then 200 id be shocked.

Plus no D. White to allow 120 receiving yards himself.

• seekpar

Participant

I’m very optimistic about round 1, cautiously optimistic about round 2. Not enough info yet to comment about round 3 and the SB.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Brady has us peaking at the right time, just as he did in NE. I’m not about to start betting against Brady in January.

I like our chances to make a deep run, hopefully all the way back to Ray Jay in February.

• Mic

Participant

Biggest difference form then and now Brady trusts his receivers which one of the main reason we’ve exploded on offense these past 4weeks. He’s letting it rip a lot more

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

WFT’s QB Alex Smith started 6 games for the team and went 5-1 in that stretch, winning 5 consecutive games.

Wk 10. Was 27, Det 30 (L)
        Wk 11. Cin 9, Was 20 (W)
        Wk 12. Was 41, Dal 16 (W)
        Wk 13. Was 23, Pit 17 (W)
        Wk 14. Was 23, SF 15 (W) *Got injured halfway through the game, iirc
        Wk 17. Was 20, Phi 14 (W)

Interestingly, I did not know the WFT had won four away games with Smith. Smith wasn’t 100% in last Sunday’s game against the Eagles, but his presence was just enough to eek to a win. WFT’s defense needs Smith’s stability on offense and it’s an interesting relationship dynamic.

While we Buc fans boast how we dominated the Packers, WFT gave the Steelers’ their first loss of the season.

WFT is a different team when Alex Smith is their QB. Similarly, the Bucs are a different team with Brady under center than we were under Winston. Although WFT has a 7-9 record, they possess a 5-1 record when Smith starts the game for them, that includes defeating the then undefeated Steelers.

• m_j

Participant

very confident vs. WFT, zero confident vs. good QB. one has to be blind to ignore our non existing pass defense!

still, we can put 35 on anyone on a good day!

• Roy

Participant

You don’t get a warmup game in the playoffs, and certainly Washington poses a threat. Yes Washington beat the Steelers, but so did the Bengals. What is in favor of the Bucs is the immobility of Smith. Am I optimistic about going up to Green Bay after they get a bye week? Well, lets just get there and see what happens.

• Nobody

Participant

We can win any game.

We can lose any game.

But, in a QB league, we have the winningest, greatest QB of all time playing about as well as a QB can play.

Better than a puncher’s chance on Brady alone.

• buc_boi

Participant

Very optimistic

It’s no end all if the redskins catch us looking ahead, but I do like our chances Saturday.

• Buc on the Move

Participant

I’m very optimistic.

Pros:
      – Tom Brady getting more comfortable in this offense and entering the playoffs on fire.
      – Discipline over last half the season in regards to penalties (this one is irrelevant of opponent and solely attributed to Bucs playing with more discipline than we’ve seen here in years)
      – Improved playcalling last few weeks in regards to offensive quick passes and less running on 1st down
      – Kicker over 90% on FG and XP
      – Tom Brady
      – Rojo return to health

Cons:
      – Pass Defense
      – Offensive playcalling and player usage (see L Fournette) still worries me, though it has been better lately.
      – Slow starts (though we’ve gotten over this last two weeks, I’d be lying if I said I am not totally sold that it is fixed)

Overall, I think Bucs can beat anyone out there. We will go as far as the OLine and Defense take us. If we can get stops on D and give Brady time on Offense, we can go all the way.

Most important players in the playoffs will be:
      D. Smith/Tristan Wirfs on offense
      SMB/J Dean/CDIII on defense

If those players get it done, we will win.

As the Patriot way (god I can’t believe I am saying this) was famous for: “Just do your job.”

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Anyone who believes WFT deserves to be in the playoffs is kidding themselves.

Had it not been for the Eagles pathetic tank job we’d be playing nyg.

Nvm Pederson said he played to win. He just wanted to see what he had in Nate Sandberg, sorry Sudfeld. Lmao @ that Michele Tafoya interview.

• SunnyD

Participant

The Bucs have had a 4th place schedule 7 times since 2006 and have never won 11 games in a season. They only won 10 games once during that stretch and only made the playoffs once. We should all know that playing a relatively weak schedule doesn’t just gurantee wins and a playoff birth for bad or even average teams.

The Bucs have the 4th best point differential in the league so it’s not as if they are squeaking by lesser competition and getting routinely blown out by elite teams. This team may not be one of the best teams in the NFL but they’re good. The Bucs belong in the tournament and there no reason to believe they won’t be competitive and have a chance to win every game they play in the playoffs.

• kenntak

Participant

I am hoping for a win on Saturday, and a home playoff game!

• Suffer76

Participant

If you use opponent average Power Rankings position as an index, then the Bucs had the 14th hardest schedule in the NFL this season. Saints were 19th, Chiefs 22nd, Packers 26th, Ravens 28th, Steelers 29th, WFT 30th, and the Colts at 32 had the easiest schedule.

I think this is a more nuanced measure than win-loss — not all wins and losses are equal.

See: http://powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

Good find.

• m_j

Participant

I am hoping for a win on Saturday, and a home playoff game!

Home playoff game would mean both bears and rams winning which is nearly impossible, but I‘m quite positive we‘re gonna get a few next season! In front of full Ray Jay! They might even put up those temporary stands!!

• kenntak

Participant

That’s true, but what about the Championship game? Only one of them has to win twice. For example, the Rams need to beat Seattle and then Green Bay. The Bucs would meet either one in the Championship game at Raymond James.

• seekpar

Participant

Maybe he was talking about the Super Bowl?

• QB12

Participant

Guys, Regular season records mean nothing. It’s who and who isn’t playing well NOW.

• buc_boi

Participant

Maybe he was talking about the Super Bowl?

^^^^

We have another home game y’all

• buc-in-out

Participant

I gotta admit, while on paper we have a top 5-6 defense, it’s still baffling to me with the amount of sacks we put up this year that our defense cannot get off the field on 3rd and long, consistently.

This team still cannot play zone defense whatsoever, which is crazy. Bowles calls these soft zone playcalls all game, and only gets aggressive in the 3rd quarter, which always seems to work. Why?

The last time this defense looked really good was the Packers game. Why hasn’t there been any progression? Seems like there’s still way too many breakdowns in coverage?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.