Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

…..and what makes you think they will play better than our old players? (especially wondering how the Titans let Verner go)And yes, I know, better coaching. But what about talent level?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mj has played a few seasons, lit it up two seasons ago(11 sacks), and yet is still pretty young(26?). He had a contract season last year and only amassed 3sacks. Their team’s cap could not splurge on a guy who was a “maybe” in their system. Therefore, they had no choice but to let him go.He still gets around the qb to cause disruptions. He had nine batted passes last season, so he's also pretty quick handed.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mj has played a few seasons, lit it up two seasons ago(11 sacks), and yet is still pretty young(26?). He had a contract season last year and only amassed 3sacks. Their team's cap could not splurge on a guy who was a "maybe" in their system. Therefore, they had no choice but to let him go.He still gets around the qb to cause disruptions. He had nine batted passes last season, so he's also pretty quick handed.

+1 Agreed on Johnson's reasoning.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Titans have been destroyed on the internet from every outlet for their off season. Especially for losing Verner and especially since he didn’t cost nearly as much as expected. The only logical reason for the Titans letting him walk is stupidity.I think the Bengals let Collins go because they have their LT in Andre Smith and weren't going to pay huge money to Collins to be their RT. They did want him back and they were in it right down to the end per Collins, but he decided to go with the Bucs. Also, Collins simply isn't a proven commodity. He has been a back up for most his career and had one great 8 week stretch last year when he was thrown into the starting role. Hopefully he is great for us, but he is far from proven. The Bengals let Johnson go because they franchised him last year and weren't going that route again. He had a good year but didn't get the double digit sacks you wanna see, and they already have a lot tied up in Atkins and chose Dunlap over Johnson. they are probably hoping their 2nd round pick Margus Hunt can step up and take Johnson's place this year. Plus the Bengals have to resign both Dalton and AJ Green this year....so that's a lot of scratch. They gotta be real picky with where they put their money right now.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The most confusing to me is Myers, who had the last 3 years of a 4 year deal voided by the Giants. Makes you wonder if they saw something that made them regret their decision to invest in him. After all Oakland did let him walk even before that, and he was a draft pick over there. I dunno i hope its just one of those things where he’s a player that keeps sliping thru the cracks (like some evidently do) and not a guy who wears out his welcome rather quickly, for whatever reason.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey Jd…any clue who collins was up against for those eight weeks?

• Anonymous

Inactive

The most confusing to me is Myers, who had the last 3 years of a 4 year deal voided by the Giants. Makes you wonder if they saw something that made them regret their decision to invest in him. After all Oakland did let him walk even before that, and he was a draft pick over there. I dunno i hope its just one of those things where he's a player that keeps sliping thru the cracks (like some evidently do) and not a guy who wears out his welcome rather quickly, for whatever reason.

This is interesting. The bucs TE depth and talent was so bad before the signing, and FA was very thin at the position, so I wouldnt say Im worried about the cheqp Myers signing. Still seems worth the flyer given the situation

• Anonymous

Inactive

The most confusing to me is Myers, who had the last 3 years of a 4 year deal voided by the Giants. Makes you wonder if they saw something that made them regret their decision to invest in him. After all Oakland did let him walk even before that, and he was a draft pick over there. I dunno i hope its just one of those things where he's a player that keeps sliping thru the cracks (like some evidently do) and not a guy who wears out his welcome rather quickly, for whatever reason.

This is interesting. The bucs TE depth and talent was so bad before the signing, and FA was very thin at the position, so I wouldnt say Im worried about the cheqp Myers signing. Still seems worth the flyer given the situation

Agreed he's still worth a flyer given our depth and the alternatives in FA. I just hope we dont pass on one of the good TEs (ebron, amaro, ASJ, niklaus) in the draft on his account, for those 4 TEs sure be lookin beastly :)

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown – Bears wouldn’t start him so they couldn’t keep him. They wanted him back but he wanted to start.Collins - They have a replacement in house, can't pay a guy to be a backup that muchJohnson - They drafted his replacement (Hunt) last year. You can't pay everyone and his production dipped in sacksMyers - He's a backup TE does anyone really care why they let him go?Verner - This I don't get. McDonald - SEA can't pay everyone and they had to make choicesA lot of times the guys who walk away aren't "bad" they are just guys who have outgrown the slotting for the money they should get. The classic version of this is the injury replacement player who shines and then is too expensive to go back to the bench. Collins and McCown are both those sorts of guys. Teams that draft and plan well will also let good players go if they think they can replace X with another guy who will = X.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t really see a mystery with Myers. He simply isn’t that good. Better than Stocker, but he’s nothing special.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we pretty much hit the nail on the head for this topic.  I think the only player who might not play up to the guy he is replacing is Verner…but then again the rest of the bars are set pretty low.The other one Im curious about is EDS.  Rodgers was openly begging his FO to keep him and its not like we gave him a huge deal.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love the EDS pick up, but I see him as a Zuttah clone. They both play center and guard. Neither is a dominant player, but both are solid role players. From what I’ve seen, EDS doesn’t get blown off the LoS very often like Zuttah, so it should be a slight upgrade…..but it’s not like EDS is some All Pro. Just a good solid pick up.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love the EDS pick up, but I see him as a Zuttah clone. They both play center and guard. Neither is a dominant player, but both are solid role players. From what I've seen, EDS doesn't get blown off the LoS very often like Zuttah, so it should be a slight upgrade.....but it's not like EDS is some All Pro. Just a good solid pick up.

Totally agree, but the connection between C and QB is huge.  They need to be on the same page with calling out protections, so I can understand why a Rodgers would want to keep him around.  Packers made little to no effort to keep him even after the begging by Rodgers.  A lot of GB fans are not happy about that one...but bully for us.

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown - Bears wouldn't start him so they couldn't keep him. They wanted him back but he wanted to start.Collins - They have a replacement in house, can't pay a guy to be a backup that muchJohnson - They drafted his replacement (Hunt) last year. You can't pay everyone and his production dipped in sacksMyers - He's a backup TE does anyone really care why they let him go?Verner - This I don't get. McDonald - SEA can't pay everyone and they had to make choicesA lot of times the guys who walk away aren't "bad" they are just guys who have outgrown the slotting for the money they should get. The classic version of this is the injury replacement player who shines and then is too expensive to go back to the bench. Collins and McCown are both those sorts of guys. Teams that draft and plan well will also let good players go if they think they can replace X with another guy who will = X.

Verner, for whatever reason, had significant dropoff in play at the end of both the last 2 seasons.  I don't know if it's a Penn thing where he doesn't keep his conditioning or if it's something else, but maybe it was part of the reason.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not getting blown off the LOS by a DT is a big deal to a new coach…  ;D    Salary cap is a major wildcard in a team's decision to not re-sign players. It's a great system for players who want to actually PLAY, rather than sit behind an All-Pro their entire career... The Licht of opportunity shines brightly in Tampa Bay!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.