Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 36 reply threads

• Author

• mdbuc

Participant

Donovan Smith skeptical about returning to play

Brings up his daughter due to be born in a few weeks, the nature of close contact in the game, pay cuts, and safety.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

He is speaking what most players are probably thinking. The idea of playing football during the pandemic is about as idiotic as the lying criminal fascist piece of shit temporarily occupying the White House. There should not be football this year, especially with the sharp spike upward and the continued stubbornness, selfishness, and ignorance of too many mask-protesters.

• JC5100

Participant

Swimming and driving are more dangerous to football players than COVID

• mdbuc

Participant

Swimming and driving are more dangerous to football players than COVID

Even if that’s true statistically, what if someone catches it and dies, or gets seriously ill, has lasting damage done to their body? What if they can’t play again due to lung damage. That’s what these guys and all of us are risking with this disease.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s not alone. Many players are going to express concerns. But more than anything. This virus will have changed college football forever. The spiral from this will be tough to overcome.

• The Anomaly

Participant

Again…doubt we see any football in 2020

• buccaneerNW

Participant

Again…doubt we see any football in 2020

Nor should we

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

“Next Man Up!!”

• Bucsfan714

Participant

I’m thinking he wasn’t @ the Brady led workouts?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m thinking he wasn’t @ the Brady led workouts?

Nope, only ever saw Jensen there from the OLine. Don’t recall seeing any other linemen. Gotta work on that snap… and butt sweat.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Total COVID-19 Deaths, as per CDC Jun 27, 2020: 112,226

Ages 0-14: 29 (0.02%)
        Ages 15-24: 142 (0.12%)
        Ages 25-34: 770 (0.68%)
        Ages 35-44: 1,972 (1.75%)
        Ages 45-54: 5,488 (4.89%)
        Ages 55-64: 13,465 (11.9%)
        Ages 65-74: 23,333 (20.7%)
        Ages 75-84: 29,780 (26.5%)
        Ages 85+: 37,247 (33.1%)

Survival rate for ages 15-34 = 99.2%
      Survival rate for ages 55+ = 7.8%

We know these patterns since February, which is five months worth of data. Also, I presented a comparison between May 9, 2020 and July 2, 2020. The infection rate went up 9.5% from May 9 – July 2 and Feb – May 9, but in that same comparison, the death rate dropped by -2.49% to 3.45%.

After five months of tracking the infections and death rates, we know a lot now. We are also testing a lot more now as well as have a few drugs that can help reduce effects or save lives from COVID-19. We won’t get a vaccine until December at the earliest, but that’s being overly optimistic.

Why people are thinking COVID-19 equally kills across all ages at the same rate is crazy! Maybe we don’t post the age breakdown enough so we can appropriately protect the most vulnerable.

Donovan turned 27 years of age in June. The death rate for his age group is 0.68%. If Donovan doesn’t want to play when the NFL re-starts, then he loses pay for the season. He gets to feel what the rest of the nation went through when the economy shut down. He just loses only $14.5 mil for the 2020 season. So it doesn’t really affect him because he made the first of his millions of his new contract in 2019.

• bucfanskiz

Participant

He is speaking what most players are probably thinking. The idea of playing football during the pandemic is about as idiotic as the lying criminal fascist piece of shit temporarily occupying the White House. There should not be football this year, especially with the sharp spike upward and the continued stubbornness, selfishness, and ignorance of too many mask-protesters.

You have the right to your opinion but could we please leave politics off a sports related page? Thank you in advance for this courtesy.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

You have the right to your opinion but could we please leave politics off a sports related page?

Unfortunately, the biggest reasons this country has failed to curtail the virus spread the way other modern industrial countries have is the orange assclown, stable genius. If we don’t have football, it will be his fault. That’s not opinion, it’s fact.

• FinkleisEinhorn

Participant

Opportunity to protect the best QB that ever played. Best (and maybe only) chance in his career to sniff the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl. With Covid, there’ll be basically no contact training camp, practices or scrimmages. Literally $14mil for 16 games.

If I had to have guessed which starter would voluntarily sit for the season because of Covid, it would’ve been DSmith. He strikes me as that one in the group that doesn’t go on the roller coaster, the one that’s always breaking up the fight, the proverbial first victim in the horror movie. Prob why our run game ranks 30th.

For a LT mentality, I want Amish from Braveheart next to me on the front line, not Donovan Smith.

• The Anomaly

Participant

He’s having a baby in 3 weeks. What a horrible person. He’s concerned about his baby.

We do have some of the worst fans in sports. No doubt.

• FinkleisEinhorn

Participant

Relax, I was being hyperbolic. He’s a decent player, just seems to lack the warrior mentality of a Brady, Sapp or LT. In another life he’d probably be a florist or pastry chef.

• Jed

Participant

You have the right to your opinion but could we please leave politics off a sports related page?

Unfortunately, the biggest reasons this country has failed to curtail the virus spread the way other modern industrial countries have is the orange assclown, stable genius. If we don’t have football, it will be his fault. That’s not opinion, it’s fact.

He asked nicely so you take it as an invitation to take your dickism to the next level.

• LVBUC2

Participant

The only positive for the Bucs if Smith ops out this year the Bucs will get back 14.5 million to the cap. Sign Peters and re-sign Godwin.

• Roy

Participant

The only positive for the Bucs if Smith ops out this year the Bucs will get back 14.5 million to the cap. Sign Peters and re-sign Godwin.

You said it yourself its for one year. How does that help to resign Godwin? He’s already under contract for this year.

• Ja’crispy

Participant

The average age of a covid-19 death is higher then the average age of death for humans. You literally have more chance of dying just being human then getting covid. The number of cases are rising but the death rate is flat lining. Honestly I think hes a little bitch if he doesnt play. I understand you want your family to be healthy, but millions of Americans have kids and they get up every morning and go to work.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

Honestly I think hes a little bitch if he doesnt play. I understand you want your family to be healthy, but millions of Americans have kids and they get up every morning and go to work.

Other people’s jobs don’t involved breathing all over a guy you’ve just fallen on top of, multiple times over the course of 3 hours. Even just lining up next to and across from a bunch of heavy-breathing dudes is way riskier than an ordinary job. ALSO, most importantly, football is not necessary. This is a threat not just to individuals and their families, but also can contribute to greater community spread. It is irresponsible and just ignorant to force this thing to go on in the middle of the pandemic, just to make money for TV networks and team owners. Seems to me, you’re the “little bitch.”

• bucfanskiz

Participant

I asked respectfully the first time. This is a sports site / forum. Keep the political views in the media site you elect to consume. This is a place where many come as a break from the 24/7 finger pointing on both sides of the aisle. Again I respect your opinion about our President but please refrain from making these opinions on a SPORTS site.

• LVBUC2

Participant

You said it yourself its for one year. How does that help to resign Godwin? He’s already under contract for this year.

With the cap space from Smith 14.5 million you could use that to give to Godwin to extend him

• Roy

Participant

@LVBuc2, No offense, but you have it backwards. Godwin already has a contract this year. An extension would start in 2021. Even if you rework his deal this year it won’t change the fact that its a long term deal, probably four years or so.

Its quite the opposite. Smith has two years left on his deal, and can be cut with no cap hit after one year. So right now, he could be cut after this year. But if he doesn’t play that means his contract gets pushed to next year and he can’t be cut until after next year. So that space that would have been able to be freed up for Godwin in 2021 now can’t be freed up until 2022. So if your objective is to dump Smith to free up space for Godwin, a Smith holdout would actually tank that idea.

Unfortunately Bucs fans are not going to hear this one but Mike Evans might be the one to go in 2021. The cap consequences of trading Evans are not great, and he has a lot of miles on those tires. Will he be worth the $15 million he’ll be getting in future years? For even the most loved veteran players, and Evans has always been a class act on and off the field, the time comes when you have to make decisions about them.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@Roy,

You’re missing the aspect that you’re exposing Godwin to FA by not extending him this year. You introduce a bidding war for Godwin.

Extending Godwin + re-signing Dotson might be a blessing in disguise. What if Wirfs flourishes at LT while Dotson is holding down RT duties? Then we can go back to the 2021 draft and select a RT. That’s a huge if on Wirfs’ flourishing at LT. But if Wirfs’ play is almost equal to Smith at LT, then we win on so many levels.

On the plus side, we actually have OT Haeg under contract as well for added depth.

• spartan

Participant

If Donovan wants to sit out, that’s his perogative. He got paid something like $12 million last year so he is in the enviable position to do so.

Personally I don’t think this pandemic is as catastrophic as some think. I believe some are making hay for their own personal or political reasons. However I do get the point of OL and DL being in, on and around each other nearly every moment of the game. I also believe that if he does opt out then he should forfeit any future guarantees in his contract. If he sits out this year and wants to come back next, it should be up to the Bucs if they want to or not since he is the one who ostensibly broke his contract.

• Roy

Participant

@Roy,

You’re missing the aspect that you’re exposing Godwin to FA by not extending him this year. You introduce a bidding war for Godwin.

Extending Godwin + re-signing Dotson might be a blessing in disguise. What if Wirfs flourishes at LT while Dotson is holding down RT duties? Then we can go back to the 2021 draft and select a RT. That’s a huge if on Wirfs’ flourishing at LT. But if Wirfs’ play is almost equal to Smith at LT, then we win on so many levels.

On the plus side, we actually have OT Haeg under contract as well for added depth.

I’d like to see him extended, but if you extend him that still means he’s under the same contract this year.

• LVBUC2

Participant

@Roy,

I’d like to see him extended, but if you extend him that still means he’s under the same contract this year.

Yes, he is under the same contract this year. the Bucs only have 4 million in cap space. with Smiths extra cap space you can move God wins future money into this year aka signing bonus. Godwin is not going to sign a extension unless he get new money this year

• FsstNfurios

Participant

Donovan and people that think like Donovan are just brain washed dip-shits. This virus is nothing to shut everything down over. People have always gotten sick and will always get sick a couple times a year. Some get sick worse than others, IT’s A PART OF LIFE AND ALWAYS WILL BE. But yeah lets tank the entire global economy and way of life over it SMH. All this shit is to make us obedient little slaves and to get welcome vaccines that alter your health and DNA. Fucking sheep.

• FsstNfurios

Participant

Millions upon millions losing their businesses, jobs, food, homes is FAR worse than this covid shit ever was or ever will be. But so many dumb fucks are ok with that! Ridiculous.

/rant

• Greattimes

Participant

Football players just need to practice social distancing.

• Jr.3

Participant

In his comment D.Smith mentioned something about 35%? Is that a pay cut cause the owners are gonna lose some money this year? If I’m a player I would be upset also, they better be asking coaches, coaching staff and GM also for that 35%.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

Millions upon millions losing their businesses, jobs, food, homes is FAR worse than this covid shit ever was or ever will be. But so many dumb fucks are ok with that!

No one is okay with it… What we know is that the death toll (currently at 135K) would be far worse without the measures being taken. Also, if the shutdowns had been done the way science, medicine, and public health officials had recommended and not opening until we bent the curve sharply downward (like the EU), things could approach normal. Following the protocols instead of trying to short-circuit them is the thing most likely to SAVE the economy and ensure health, safety, and give us the best chance for a full economic recovery as soon as possible. Not following the protocols is making things worse. So maybe you’re the dumb fuck.

• Greattimes

Participant

If you believe the Chinese government, the virus started by 1 person getting the virus at a wet market. From there the virus infected millions worldwide. If everyone stayed in hiding for months until there was no more known active cases, the virus would not go away. It would only take one person with the virus (typhoid Mary) to start the whole explosion of the virus to happen again. The only thing social distancing and safety precautions are doing is to slow the infection rate to a level that is manageable for hospitals. Either a vaccine will be developed or everyone sooner or later is going to get the virus. It is inevitable. To think otherwise is wishful thinking. Most people who have the virus never knew they had it because they had no symptoms. The actual death rate is probably around 0.3%.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

The only thing social distancing and safety precautions are doing is to slow the infection rate to a level that is manageable for hospitals.

The EU has done a lot better than that. Why can’t we?

This graph is a few weeks old now, and it looks even worse for us at this point, but illustrates the difference.
      https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-two-different-pandemics-eu-vs-us-coronavirus-cases-spike-28-june

• flashgordon

Participant

The Chinese released this virus on the world. But, getting to our Ot deciding to not play . . .

You risk getting the virus going to the supermarket. Going to training camp will have smartphoine detectors to detect heat signatures and, and othe precautions. You go to training camp, you determine that everyone is good to go, and then close doors, and don’t go hang out with your daughter throughout training camp, and the season for that matter.

They need to do this. Have a hotel room that has likewise been determined to be virus free, quarantine it, and have the players go from hotel to the training facilities, and the games. They can talk to their loved ones on the phone for a season.

Bobby Blue Bland I Pity The Fool (1961)

• flashgordon

Participant

I don’t see how asking these players to be in training camp mode for a few months of the season is asking them much, when they can go to comfy hotels, and have good food, and phones(and they have their own smart phones0 . . . when this country asks 18 to fifty year old men(and now women) to go on cruise on either a Aircraft Carrier or a Submarine for anywhere from six to nine months, if not a world cruise(year long).

Bobby Blue Bland I Pity The Fool (1961)

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.