Viewing 318 reply threads

• Author

• SackedBySapp

Participant

The U.S. Patent Office has canceled trademarks belonging to the Redskins football team, saying they are offensive to Native Americans.In a decision released Wednesday, the office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that "these registrations must be canceled because they were disparaging to Native Americans."  The board also said it lacked the authority to prevent the team from continuing to use the trademarks. The decision came in response to a suit brought by what the board called "five Native Americans." The board also canceled the registrations in 1999, but a federal judge overturned that decision in 2003, saying there was no proof that the name was disparaging at the time of registration.  On a personal note..........wow.  we're witnessing a man lose a basketball team because he used the words "black friends" and now they are trying to destroy the Redskins, all because of the Though Police.  these are scary times we live in people. when people can be stripped of their assets against their will because they offended someone..it's time to fear your Govt.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The weight of history is being brought to bear. It will grind Snyder down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It will be overturned yet again. What they should be doing is asking for the millions it would cost to rebrand the team to be paid in the form of scholarships to Native Americans. Even if it’s not overturned there’s nothing they can do to stop it from being used. What a waste of time and money!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Would be funny if someone started selling apparel with the redskins name and logo on it. There's nothing Snyder could do.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

It will be overturned yet again.

This wasn't a court case.  It is a back door Govt assault.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would be funny if someone started selling apparel with the redskins name and logo on it. There's nothing Snyder could do.

As long as it didn't display an NFL logo. To be genuine it needs that so it would be easy to spot fakes just nothing you could do about it.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Dood...that's EXACTLY what this is doing, intentionally.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“This wasn’t a court case.  It is a back door Govt assault.”Hmm... your verbiage leaves much to be desired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No it wasn't a court case but soon will become one as it did last time. SSDD

Please wait…

• vlagatta

why is this funny to any of you?  Do you have any idea of the ramifications that can come out of this?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I don't think you understand.It's not going to shut down Snyder or his use of the name. (until it's litigated)  The real threat is the over-reach by our own govt. 

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

"The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning"

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Aren't there always a lot of ramifications to a back door Govt. assault?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think you understand.

Funny I said the same thing about you to my co-worker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

actually, the trademark protection stands during appeal

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

can you expand?  It was a case, maybe you mean that it was an admin matter? not sure, but it is a federal mater, right?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Stop talking to co-workers, you'll end up sticking your hands into the French fry grease.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

can you expand?  It was a case, maybe you mean that it was an admin matter? not sure, but it is a federal mater, right?

scroll up...I did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stop talking to co-workers, you'll end up sticking your hands into the French fry grease.

No one can get that close your in the way. I can't even see the damn thing you're blocking everything in a 5 foot radius.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

No one can get that close your in the way. I can't even see the damn thing you're blocking everything in a 5 foot radius.

BAM!  I was NOT expecting to get slammed like THAT!  OUCH.  does anyone have any idea what this kid is talking about?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You are the most bored old man I’ve ever known.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

More empty space ...really adds to the drama.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Anywho folks, It’s a dayum disgrace that another govt agency is pushing on another business to conform to it’s politically correct standards because someone was “offended”.  very very dangerous slippery slope for all of us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BAM!  I was NOT expecting to get slammed like THAT!  OUCH. does anyone have any idea what this kid is talking about?

Playing stupid won't buy you anything here. I don't blame you though as it was the only move you could have made except ignoring it. We both know that's not an option for you.

Please wait…

• kenminio

Participant

The government is wanting to control everyone, and the climate is right with all of the sensitive effing people these days. I do think the name is kind of offensive. If Detroit changed their name to the “black skins”, people would explode.But as someone else said, we are on a slippery slope and we better be careful with the over policing of everything.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

why is this funny to any of you?  Do you have any idea of the ramifications that can come out of this?

you mean how a multi-billion dollar industry can temporarily not profit off a derogatory name that a group of minorities find offensive.  A race of people that the founders of this country almost wiped off the face of the planet?Sounds like an awful decision for middle class white men, not so much for the minorities that find offense in the name

Please wait…

• vlagatta

you mean how a multi-billion dollar industry can temporarily not profit off a derogatory name that a group of minorities find offensive.  A race of people that the founders of this country almost wiped off the face of the planet?Sounds like an awful decision for middle class white men, not so much for the minorities that find offense in the name

and when they come to your home one day, and arrest you at your front door, for choosing a name for you child, that was not on the "Official Name List"...will you still feel this way? Do you understand that?  of course you don't.  you're just towing the line of what you were told to think.It's also obvious you have contempt for successful people by the way you started your post.  If you hate the sport that much, why even follow football?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Playing stupid won't buy you anything here. .

WHOOOSHHH!!!!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“and when they come to your home one day, and arrest you at your front door, for choosing a name for you child, that was not on the “Official Name List”…will you still feel this way?”Reaching new levels of idiocy.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

The weight of history is being brought to bear. It will grind Snyder down.

Reaching new levels of idiocy.one of two things is true with you Oozy....  You are either a little kid, or you're for Govt controlling everything in your life.  Or perhaps you're from Australia, and then your opinion is moot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Playing stupid won't buy you anything here. .

WHOOOSHHH!!!!

Exactly right over your head!!!!!

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

and when they come to your home one day, and arrest you at your front door, for choosing a name for you child, that was not on the "Official Name List"...will you still feel this way?

maybe I am missing something but this was a suit brought by a person or an entity, right? I get that the result is bad to some, but the Patent Office doesn't even have the opportunity to rule without one citizen fighting with another, right?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

maybe I am missing something but this was a suit brought by a person or an entity, right? I get that the result is bad to some, but the Patent Office doesn't even have the opportunity to rule without one citizen fighting with another, right?

it stems from ongoing litigation, which I am fine with.  My issue is the involvement of the TM office. (who already ruled the same way and was summarily overturned) The bigger picture that concerns me, is the marriage of Govt and political correctness

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and when they come to your home one day, and arrest you at your front door, for choosing a name for you child, that was not on the "Official Name List"...will you still feel this way?

5 people.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

it stems from ongoing litigation, which I am fine with.  My issue is the involvement of the TM office. (who already ruled the same way and was summarily overturned)

but isn't the dispute IN the Trademark office? I am not familiar with the logistics, but isnt that what happened? This person brought a suit or something IN the Trademark Office?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I had no idea the United States Patent Office has the power to arrest parents for the names they give their children. Cool story, bro.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

The TM office is not a litigant, nor an applicable court.  it’s another vessel for going after Snyder in this case.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I had no idea the United States Patent Office has the power to arrest parents for the names they give their children. Cool story, bro.

It went over your head.  The best thing you could do is not show everyone that.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

My threads do well here.  I like this place.  I get to entertain, educate, and marginalize a lot of the people who thought too much of themselves here.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Finally, some meaning to your life.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My threads do well here.  I like this place.  I get to entertain, educate, and marginalize a lot of the people who thought too much of themselves here.

A legend in your own mind. Rock on Garth!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Let’s just hope the cops don’t show up and arrest you for giving your children non-marginalizing names.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let's just hope the cops don't show up and arrest you for giving your children non-marginalizing names.

I watched that TV show, Continuum. It wasn't bad!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is a back door Govt assault.

I hear that's legal in quite a few states these days.Seriously though, the thing to keep in mind is that the law specifically disallows trademarks on goods that "disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols".  So this isn't really a back-door thing.  Now, whether or not the Redskins name, logo, etc disparages native americans is something I think one can reasonably debate.  But if one concludes that it does, this is actually a pretty straight-forward application of the law. (15 U.S.C. § 1052 is the relevant statue, btw.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should go with a name that’s more appropriate to their area.  They don’t really play in D.C…How about something nice, like Project Monarchs?  Is there a patent on that?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On a personal note..........wow.  we're witnessing a man lose a basketball team because he used the words "black friends" and now they are trying to destroy the Redskins, all because of the Though Police.  these are scary times we live in people. when people can be stripped of their assets against their will because they offended someone..it's time to fear your Govt.

It's long past time to fear the government. That said, that's a pretty big misrepresentation of the Donald Sterling issue and the government hasn't had anything to do with his ouster from the NBA.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

why not “The Reservations”?  Or would insult them too.  Political correctness, is "The willful and intentional avoidance of the truth (lie) in order to spare the feelings of an individual or group"America has somehow, in the last decade or so, melded "racial" and "racist" to mean the same thing........and they don't.  they never did.  many people (most of them dumb kids) have been trained to think that if you even discuss race..you are a racist.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

It's long past time to fear the government. That said, that's a pretty big misrepresentation of the Donald Sterling issue and the government hasn't had anything to do with his ouster from the NBA.

fair enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hear that's legal in quite a few states these days.Seriously though, the thing to keep in mind is that the law specifically disallows trademarks on goods that "disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols".  So this isn't really a back-door thing.  Now, whether or not the Redskins name, logo, etc disparages native americans is something I think one can reasonably debate.  But if one concludes that it does, this is actually a pretty straight-forward application of the law. (15 U.S.C. § 1052 is the relevant statue, btw.)

Actually the law applies to new applications not existing ones. The question is whether this law can retroactively be applied to all existing trademarks or only new applications going forward. Maybe they say because this was a law before they registered they can revoke the initial registration? It's unclear how they justified making the call given the law."§1052. Trademarks registrable on the principal register; concurrent registrationNo trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it--(a) Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute; or a geographical indication which, when used on or in connection with wines or spirits, identifies a place other than the origin of the goods and is first used on or in connection with wines or spirits by the applicant on or after one year after the date on which the WTO Agreement (as defined in section 2(9) of the Uruguay Round Agreements Act [19 USC §3501(9)]) enters into force with respect to the United States."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just think there are much better instances of over reaching by our government. The patent office makes rulings all the time, this one made the news because it’s high profile, not because it’s abnormal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is that the new Carlos Danger movie?

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

The TM office is not a litigant, nor an applicable court.  it's another vessel for going after Snyder in this case.

"vessel"?  Your comments make it sound like this is the government acting alone, but its a party of people challenging a trademark, which I am pretty sure happens in the TM office first before it would go to a federal court. I could be wrong , but I think it is the only "vessel" for going after a trademark, at least initially

Please wait…

• vlagatta

The TM office is not a litigant, nor an applicable court.  it's another vessel for going after Snyder in this case.

"vessel"?  Your comments make it sound like this is the government acting alone, but its a party of people challenging a trademark, which I am pretty sure happens in the TM office first before it would go to a federal court. I could be wrong , but I think it is the only "vessel" for going after a trademark, at least initially

vessel does not mean unilateral.  My intention was as a "method"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Only the name (Washington Redskins)  is affected not the Logo, based on something i read.Same case, same ruling 15 years ago was overturned.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

vessel does not mean unilateral.  My intention was as a "method"

not sure I follow, but unless I am missing something the government is not  involved beyond being the "vessel" or "forum"

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I don’t think the team ever meant, nor now presents, the name “Redskins” in the pejorative.  I think it’s a bunch of whiney ass punks who wanted some attention, and filed the suit.  You have a right to be offended in this country, enjoy it.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

not sure I follow, but unless I am missing something the government is not  involved beyond being the "vessel" or "forum"

correct.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think the team ever meant, nor now presents, the name "Redskins" in the pejorative.  I think it's a bunch of whiney ass punks who wanted some attention, and filed the suit.  You have a right to be offended in this country, enjoy it.

So, you're saying Nike wanted to do a new makeover?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

If they’re the “whiney ass punks,” how is it that you’re the one doing the whining?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually the law applies to new applications not existing ones. The question is whether this law can retroactively be applied to all existing trademarks or only new applications going forward. Maybe they say because this was a law before they registered they can revoke the initial registration? It's unclear how they justified making the call given the law."§1052. Trademarks registrable on the principal register; concurrent registrationNo trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it--(a) Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute; or a geographical indication which, when used on or in connection with wines or spirits, identifies a place other than the origin of the goods and is first used on or in connection with wines or spirits by the applicant on or after one year after the date on which the WTO Agreement (as defined in section 2(9) of the Uruguay Round Agreements Act [19 USC §3501(9)]) enters into force with respect to the United States."

Actually, that part is pretty clear too.  § 1064 reads:

A petition to cancel a registration of a mark, stating the grounds relied upon, may, upon payment of the prescribed fee, be filed as follows by any person who believes that he is or will be damaged, including as a result of a likelihood of dilution by blurring or dilution by tarnishment under section 1125(c) of this title, by the registration of a mark on the principal register established by this chapter, or under the Act of March 3, 1881, or the Act of February 20, 1905: ...3) At any time if the registered mark becomes the generic name for the goods or services, or a portion thereof, for which it is registered, or is functional, or has been abandoned, or its registration was obtained fraudulently or contrary to the provisions of section 1054 of this title or of subsection (a), (b), or (c) of section 1052 of this title for a registration under this chapter

(The "contrary to the provisions of ... subsection (a) ... of section 1052" being the key part.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You know it’s the off-season when a non related football topic like this gets up to 5 pages within a hour and a half. *Sigh* Season needs to get here already.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

You know it's the off-season when a non related football topic like this gets up to 5 pages within a hour and a half. *Sigh* Season needs to get here already.

non-related to football? lemme guess... home schooled?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually, that part is pretty clear too.  § 1064 reads:

A petition to cancel a registration of a mark, stating the grounds relied upon, may, upon payment of the prescribed fee, be filed as follows by any person who believes that he is or will be damaged, including as a result of a likelihood of dilution by blurring or dilution by tarnishment under section 1125(c) of this title, by the registration of a mark on the principal register established by this chapter, or under the Act of March 3, 1881, or the Act of February 20, 1905: ...3) At any time if the registered mark becomes the generic name for the goods or services, or a portion thereof, for which it is registered, or is functional, or has been abandoned, or its registration was obtained fraudulently or contrary to the provisions of section 1054 of this title or of subsection (a), (b), or (c) of section 1052 of this title for a registration under this chapter

(The "contrary to the provisions of ... subsection (a) ... of section 1052" being the key part.)

It seems like a ploy for attention since common law would kick in and the Redskin trademark would be protected anyways."What are “common law” rights?Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark.  Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark and may allow the common law user to successfully challenge a registration or application."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a football news story, but you’re making a political argument. This thread should probably be moved to the cove.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

This is a football news story, but you're making a political argument. This thread should probably be moved to the cove.

it's a football story with political overtones, zip stick.It you can't keep up, stay out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and when they come to your home one day, and arrest you at your front door, for choosing a name for you child, that was not on the "Official Name List"...will you still feel this way? Do you understand that?  of course you don't.  you're just towing the line of what you were told to think.It's also obvious you have contempt for successful people by the way you started your post.  If you hate the sport that much, why even follow football?

Wrong. They aren't telling them that they are not allowed to use the name. they are saying you no longer have the right to profit from a racial slur.  Completely different than taking rights away from individuals. that argument is crap and you are bending the ruling  to make it fit your argument.No contempt for  successful  businesses or successful people either. You are reading into my comments solely based on your own bias towards this argument. i think for myself and it is ridiculous that a business  the public funding for stadiums they do and  receive the tax break they do  profit from the name that a large number of people find offensive. It has nothing to do with losing individual rights. It has to do with the degradation of a race of people that have almost been wiped off the face of this earth due to jealously and contempt from the settlers of this country.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

” 5 pages within a hour and a half “I drive traffic here.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

correct.

maybe you were just in a hurry because neither of the two events were actions by the government:

these are scary times we live in people. when people can be stripped of their assets against their will because they offended someone..it's time to fear your Govt.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Wrong. They aren't telling them that they are not allowed to use the name. they are saying you no longer have the right to profit from a racial slur.  Completely different than taking rights away from individuals. that argument is crap and you are bending the ruling  to make it fit your argument.No contempt for  successful  businesses or successful people either. You are reading into my comments solely based on your own bias towards this argument. i think for myself and it is ridiculous that a business  the public funding for stadiums they do and  receive the tax break they do  profit from the name that a large number of people find offensive. It has nothing to do with losing individual rights. It has to do with the degradation of a race of people that have almost been wiped off the face of this earth due to jealously and contempt from the settlers of this country.

sorry...took too long, and too wordy

Please wait…

• vlagatta

correct.

maybe you were just in a hurry because neither of the two events were actions by the government:

these are scary times we live in people. when people can be stripped of their assets against their will because they offended someone..it's time to fear your Govt.

Jim, if you are trying to make a point, please do.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Lunch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You know it's the off-season when a non related football topic like this gets up to 5 pages within a hour and a half. *Sigh* Season needs to get here already.

In terms of football, this means absolutely nothing. It relates to a NFL team, but it has nothing to do with football.And I'm pretty confident I go to a better school than you do, if you even went anywhere for college.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

" 5 pages within a hour and a half "I drive traffic here.

Damn you. I got Coke all over my monitor. U so funny!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In terms of football, this means absolutely nothing. It relates to a NFL team, but it has nothing to do with football.And I'm pretty confident I go to a better school than you do, if you even went anywhere for college.

You 'go' as in right now? Enjoy it while you can. Those were good years for me some 20 years ago.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Right there in Palmetto.http://www.ringling.com/contentpage.aspx%3Fid%3D45924%26section%3D45688

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

correct.

Jim, if you are trying to make a point, please do.

I think I did, not my fault if you missed it.  You started a thread based on something that was wrong and now you're calling a bunch of other people stupid.  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s Java. He’s the only person I’ve ever seen call someone a “zip stick” and he used to create threads like this all the time. He really should pick up a hobby of some sort.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

It's Java. He's the only person I've ever seen call someone a "zip stick" and he used to create threads like this all the time. He really should pick up a hobby of some sort.

who is Java?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think the team ever meant, nor now presents, the name "Redskins" in the pejorative.  I think it's a bunch of whiney ass punks who wanted some attention, and filed the suit.  You have a right to be offended in this country, enjoy it.

So when the ghost of Strom Thurmond creates the team, the Alabama Blackskins with this logoracist-cartoon.jpgI expect to see you supporting it.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

It’s not Java, and not even remotely similar to Java. Damn but the J man has traumatized you kids.JavaHerd.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m with SackedbySapp on this one.This is an extremely slippery slope. Is it illegal to offend people in this country? Not last I checked. Political correctness is out of control. The govt is now trying to influence the way people think. I think this is how the communist party is structured.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

I'm with SackedbySapp on this one.This is an extremely slippery slope. Is it illegal to offend people in this country? Not last I checked. Political correctness is out of control. The govt is now trying to influence the way people think. I think this is how the communist party is structured.

yeah, except that part about THIS IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You 'go' as in right now? Enjoy it while you can. Those were good years for me some 20 years ago.

Yep. Unfortunately only have 1 more year left.  :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm with SackedbySapp on this one.This is an extremely slippery slope. Is it illegal to offend people in this country? Not last I checked. Political correctness is out of control. The govt is now trying to influence the way people think. I think this is how the communist party is structured.

yeah, except that part about THIS IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (PTO or USPTO) is an agency in the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Daniel Snyder was a Native American would this be an issue?We probably need a list of racist Indian words, and who is allowed to use them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, you really should try SOMETHING I mean,

one of two things is true with you Oozy....  You are either a little kid, or you're for Govt controlling everything in your life.  Or perhaps you're from Australia, and then your opinion is moot.

You didn't even master counting to two. That's some industrial strength stupid here son. Then you keep screaming that everyone else is stupid. I mean, aside from first hand experience you're not qualified to judge stupid from not stupid. That kinda requires being able to count to two. Know what I mean?Oops, sorry. Silly question.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Wasington Redskins is offensive…So how about Red Mesa high school?    http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/Seems that qualifies as being in the same category.  Right in the heart of Indian lands....  GO FIGURE?I still maintain that  if you interviewed 100 people in any Mall in America today and asked them what the term "redskins" means to them -- 95 would say a football team in Washington DC, 4 would say a peanut, and 1 would say an offensive name for a Native American. If you conducted that same interview 10 years ago, not a single person would consider it an offensive term.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Wasington Redskins is offensive...So how about Red Mesa high school?    http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/Seems that qualifies as being in the same category.  Right in the heart of Indian lands....  GO FIGURE?I still maintain that  if you interviewed 100 people in any Mall in America today and asked them what the term "redskins" means to them -- 95 would say a football team in Washington DC, 4 would say a peanut, and 1 would say an offensive name for a Native American. If you conducted that same interview 10 years ago, not a single person would consider it an offensive term.

You're right. How dare people not want to be disrespected because they're different than you? How dare they even decide something like that? Who better to know if something is offensive, the person insulted or the person doing the insulting? I mean, if Runole has decreed it not offensive how dare others feel differently? Runole even knows what a fictitious poll results will be. Heck, he probably even knows how all these fake people voted. He's that good.I mean, some people say he's a selfish little prick who will twist like a pretzel to convince himself that others like being denigrated but not me. I know you know better than anyone else in the world how everyone thinks and how it's cool and all to dump over those who can't fight back. What's the point of being a majority if you can't insult people? I got your back. Tell us all what to think and how we feel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For gods sake man. Go get a gun and lock up your family. They're coming for you!Pssst: It is illegal to trademark a name that is offensive or derogatory to others.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

If only it was a hundred years ago, then you could just shoot them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you guys youguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguys…….you guys, you aren't paying attention to the real threat...the government is clearly hiding aliens that now want to use the Redskins name for themselves because they think it's cool and their complexions and planet are red so it fits. What are you going to do when the government comes to your door and arrests you because your name is James and a group of aliens wants that name for themselves, what are you gonna do then?!?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Wasington Redskins is offensive...So how about Red Mesa high school?    http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/Seems that qualifies as being in the same category.  Right in the heart of Indian lands....  GO FIGURE?I still maintain that  if you interviewed 100 people in any Mall in America today and asked them what the term "redskins" means to them -- 95 would say a football team in Washington DC, 4 would say a peanut, and 1 would say an offensive name for a Native American. If you conducted that same interview 10 years ago, not a single person would consider it an offensive term.

I do agree with this idea though.From now on all decisions will be made Family Feud style, by polling 100 hicks.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Good answer! Good answer!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They are a mostly Native american school. There is a difference between calling yourself a name and being called a name. Look at how many African Americans throw around the N word. Honestly though there is no way around the fact that the term "Redskin" is rooted in racism. There is nothing that anyone can say or do or otherwise that will change that fact. If people can't understand that a word that is blatantly offensive, I have no more faith in humanity. (As if I had much to begin with anyways.)

Please wait…

• vlagatta

You didn't even master counting to two.

Axis, You of all people, should understand what a period is, if you know what I mean.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do agree with this idea though.From now on all decisions will be made Family Feud style, by polling 100 hicks.

Yep, as quoted, minorities can't be trusted deciding if somthing offends them or not. They'll lie for absolutely no reason at all or be too stupid to suck it up and just take it. Damn minorities and their feelings.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100 years ago, you could say n!gger in polite company. Most people found it okay. Does that make it okay?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You didn't even master counting to two.

Axis, You of all people, should understand what a period is, if you know what I mean.

I know, my bad. I mean, I saw the blood and everything but just thought you'd dropped some ketchup in your lap. I didn't know. My bad. Explains a lot.ps: It's Axxon. You don't have to make my point for me.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

There is nothing that anyone can say or do or otherwise that will change that fact. If people can't understand that a word that is blatantly offensive, I have no more faith in humanity. (As if I had much to begin with anyways.)

It's all drama.  SO WHAT, you are called a name!  Grow some stones.  We are all offended from time to time, we have that right.  removing words by the word police if far more dangerous.  This is not yelling "fire" in a movie theater, it's free speech.  Removing "bad words" is a few steps short of book burnings.  I find it far more offensive that we made agreements with Indians and promised them land we took back when gold and oil were found.  THAT is offensive.  words?  not so much.and with that Moderators, you can, if you so choose, move this over to off topic.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

[ps: It's Axxon. You don't have to make my point for me.

WHOOOOSHHHH

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

It’s settled then. From now on you shall be known as SucksTheSack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So when the ghost of Strom Thurmond creates the team, the Alabama Blackskins with this logoracist-cartoon.jpgI expect to see you supporting it.

SBS dodging this one. I'll give him one more chance.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

It's settled then. From now on you shall be known as SucksTheSack.

Keep your fantasies in your diary, not here.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Jenky, I understand you’re mad, and I did see your hand up.  I simply cannot get to my fans as quickly as they would like.  To answer your question, NO…the Logo will look more like Pharrell Williams

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is nothing that anyone can say or do or otherwise that will change that fact. If people can't understand that a word that is blatantly offensive, I have no more faith in humanity. (As if I had much to begin with anyways.)

It's all drama.  SO WHAT, you are called a name!  Grow some stones.  We are all offended from time to time, we have that right.  removing words by the word police if far more dangerous.  This is not yelling "fire" in a movie theater, it's free speech.  Removing "bad words" is a few steps short of book burnings.and with that Moderators, you can, if you so choose, move this over to off topic.

What's the compelling reason to allow the majority to be assholes against minorities though? Simply because they can? One man calling another a name and they both have to deal. 350 million people insulting a guy and he shouldn't have to deal with that. That's what America was founded on. Sucks to be you, being born in a society with a conscience and a soul but there you go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Funny how all this is offensive now and no one said anything in the numerous OTHER decades the team has been around..Just trying to stir the pot over nothing, these people.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

[ps: It's Axxon. You don't have to make my point for me.

WHOOOOSHHHH

Ahh, the sound of SackedBySapp thinking. I will always remember the sound.By the way, you should be the poster boy for the NFL players in the concussion suit. If being SackedBySapp causes this much brain damage then surely the players have not gotten enough money yet. Football is scary dangerous.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

What's the compelling reason to allow the majority to be **CENSORED**s against minorities though? Simply because they can? One man calling another a name and they both have to deal. 350 million people insulting a guy and he shouldn't have to deal with that. That's what America was founded on. Sucks to be you, being born in a society with a conscience and a soul but there you go.

Two cookies for the well trained puppet.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Lol. SucksTheSack has been reduced to cookie smack. Sesame Street is concerned.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, there are stereotypes for everyone on the planet, but I never saw the redskin name as poking fun at them or saying they were inferior, just that they were…y’know…red skinned. Why have we become so afraid of things in this day and age?This reminds me of the Speedy Gonzales controversy. One of the best Looney Tunes ever, gone from the airwaves because people ,misunderstand these days. It's a shame.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Funny how all this is offensive now and no one said anything in the numerous OTHER decades the team has been around..Just trying to stir the pot over nothing, these people.

It's the hipsters.  right now, it's "not cool", and the worst thing a hip kid can be is not cool.. so they play along.  these are the same kids who run to the movies on opening night just to say they did.  the first kids in line to grab the new iphones, again, just to tell everyone.  they in all actuality are brain dead zombies walking lock step just like Nazi kids used to.  They don't understand that removing words is a Hell of a lot more dangerous than.... OFFENDING someone.If you freaks feel so strong about the plight of the Indians, tell your parents to sell their house and move, because odds are, and indian used to live there.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Would you like them to bring back blackface as well?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

SucksTheSack: "If you freaks feel so strong about the plight of the Indians, tell your parents to sell their house and move, because odds are, and indian used to live there."I would wager that the vast majority of houses in this country have never been occupied by Native Americans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On Blackface, It depends. Would it be prefaced in such a way that let people know no offense was meant? To study a bygone art form? To be entertained by the acting skill?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

You sell it however you can.Let's hear your pitch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100 years ago, you could say n!gger in polite company. Most people found it okay. Does that make it okay?

Well apparently it is okay today  for a high school that most certainly has many native American Indians that attend the school that don't have a problem with it.The bigger question?  Are you of Indian descent?  If not what gives you the right to dictate what is or isn't offensive to a ethnic group you aren't ?Seriously, I have never met a red -skinned person unless they were sunburned.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning"

Why are we bringing the horse's race into this?  The government should force her to find a less offensive moniker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Eight NINE pages of me slinging the resident kids around over my head like a wet towel.  Fun stuff.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

On Blackface, It depends. Would it be prefaced in such a way that let people know no offense was meant? To study a bygone art form? To be entertained by the acting skill?

Here, naive one:http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/dansons-racist-humor-appalls-crowd-at-roast

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, there are stereotypes for everyone on the planet, but I never saw the redskin name as poking fun at them or saying they were inferior, just that they were...y'know...red skinned. Why have we become so afraid of things in this day and age?This reminds me of the Speedy Gonzales controversy. One of the best Looney Tunes ever, gone from the airwaves because people ,misunderstand these days. It's a shame.

You never saw it as poking fun so it of course cannot be. Pathetic. You're really full of yourself. You're also full of shit. Oops, sorry for being redundant.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

See, i think in the right context and knowing the intention behind it, people can avoid being offended easier. In the context of blackface, yes it CAN be offensive, but that’s if one allows it to be.  I never saw that as making fun of black people, but how well an actor can be immersed into another type of roll. Now, there ARE instances where I think black stereotyping is taken a bit too far, such as the screencap Jenkins posted (Knowing the context of the short in question, which if im not mistaken is “Scrub me Mama with A Boogie Beat.” by Walter Lantz.) But again, in the short, while they are drawn that way, every race or creed has a stereotype and i don’t think this was there way of saying that’s what they THOUGHT of black people.I think being offended at something is down to the indevidual. I personally wouldn't draw africans like that in this day and age, but I don't know if any direct harm was MEANT to them by doing it back then.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right there in Palmetto.http://www.ringling.com/contentpage.aspx%3Fid%3D45924%26section%3D45688

This made me laugh...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Perhaps the kids today just need to learn something we all learned as kids  “Sticks and Stones”..  Probably no longer part of the curriculum. Call me anything you like just don't call me late for dinner! LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why take a shot at homeschooling?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, there are stereotypes for everyone on the planet, but I never saw the redskin name as poking fun at them or saying they were inferior, just that they were...y'know...red skinned. Why have we become so afraid of things in this day and age?This reminds me of the Speedy Gonzales controversy. One of the best Looney Tunes ever, gone from the airwaves because people ,misunderstand these days. It's a shame.

You never saw it as poking fun so it of course cannot be. Pathetic. You're really full of yourself. You're also full of **CENSORED**. Oops, sorry for being redundant.

Now, wait a minute. I ‘m all for you disagreeing but I never said you were wrong…why are you taking shots at me here? Who attacked you?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really? I would find it strange if culture never changed. We've had all sorts of names for different groups of people that probably didn't start out as trying to be offensive. The groups, however, did end up finding them offensive. It seems only polite (yeah, political correctness) to do our best not to offend. Why would you want to offend? You don't have any problems with old names referring to Blacks, Jews, Gays, mentally/physically handicapped?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Here, naive one:

If it's all the same to you, sweet pea, we really don't require life lessons from a cat who names herself after a sonnet.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Most of you kids would cry like school girls if you ever saw Don Rickles perform.  lol  Oh the Humanity!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You never saw it as poking fun so it of course cannot be. Pathetic. You're really full of yourself. You're also full of **CENSORED**. Oops, sorry for being redundant.

Now, wait a minute. I 'm all for you disagreeing but I never said you were wrong...why are you taking shots at me here? Who attacked you?

I'm actually taking shots at you because you disappointed me deeply. I thought you were someone else. You admit you don't like someone taking shots at you but Native Americans are not allowed that luxury. You said that you knew better than they did how it felt but you sure didn't like it when you thought it was aimed at you. That makes you appear to be a hypocrite and that was not how I thought of you. I'm disappointed.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Don Rickles material has never been presented as family entertainment like the NFL is.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Why take a shot at homeschooling?

Oh Lord!  WE HAVE A BLEEDER!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here, naive one:

If it's all the same to you, sweet pea, we really don't require life lessons from a cat who names himself after a sonnet.

Yes, life lessons from the guy who grew up without manners is the way to go. The conservative white guy (I'm assuming) who can't see much past his own nose. What are you childrens' names? Your wife? Can I call them whatever I please in your presence? Should they, and you, just then "grow some stones" and quit being so sensitive?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Biggest drama queen we've had in a while.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Now, wait a minute. I 'm all for you disagreeing but I never said you were wrong...why are you taking shots at me here? Who attacked you?

I'm actually taking shots at you because you disappointed me deeply. I thought you were someone else. You admit you don't like someone taking shots at you but Native Americans are not allowed that luxury. You said that you knew better than they did how it felt but you sure didn't like it when you thought it was aimed at you. That makes you appear to be a hypocrite and that was not how I thought of you. I'm disappointed.

Look Out....Axle is about to ask for his ring back

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of you kids would cry like school girls if you ever saw Don Rickles perform.  lol  Oh the Humanity!

Sorry, you're entirely too stupid to discuss Don Rickles. You don't have his understanding, talent or delivery. It's dumbasses like you who think  you're capable of being Don Rickles that is the root of the problem. There's a reason there's only one Don Rickles a generation. Doing it right is extremely hard work and Don does it right.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Here, naive one:

If it's all the same to you, sweet pea, we really don't require life lessons from a cat who names himself after a sonnet.

Yes, life lessons from the guy who grew up without manners is the way to go. The conservative white guy (I'm assuming) who can't see much past his own nose. What are you childrens' names? Your wife? Can I call them whatever I please in your presence? Should they, and you, just then "grow some stones" and quit being so sensitive?

here's the difference, chubby.  (I assume you are fat because you seem lazy) Unless they are my family members.......I don't care about what people say.  hard concept to grasp for ya I bet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it is not up to “us” to determine what is and what is not offensive, how many people need to be offended for this to apply? One?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Sorry, you're entirely too stupid to discuss Don Rickles. You don't have his understanding, talent or delivery. It's dumbasses like you who think  you're capable of being Don Rickles that is the root of the problem. There's a reason there's only one Don Rickles a generation. Doing it right is extremely hard work and Don does it right.

I said I was rickles??? welcome to your third WHOOOOOSH  of the day

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here, naive one:

here's the difference, chubby.  (I assume you are fat because you seem lazy) Unless they are my family members.......I don't care about what people say.  hard concept to grasp for ya I bet.

Easy as hell to grasp the concept. You have the intellect that makes a turkey proud to be so smart and you first must be able to grasp what is being said about you before you can be offended by it. WHOOSH is not a signal of comprehension.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

ten pages in 6 hours.  someone owes me $50

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here, naive one:

Haha what?? So the only time we should care about perceived namecalling is if we're calling your family members those names. Yes, that you could be so dumb and shallow is hard for me to grasp, especially when I just called you egocentric./thread

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Easy as hell to grasp the concept. You have the intellect that makes a turkey proud to be so smart and you first must be able to grasp what is being said about you before you can be offended by it. WHOOSH is not a signal of comprehension.

take 'er down a notch thumbalina, these are screen names.  nobody is insulting me.  dig?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it is not up to "us" to determine what is and what is not offensive, how many people need to be offended for this to apply? One?

How important is one nickname where we need to seriously figure out a number and fight for it? What is the plus gain of offending that makes it this damned important to be able to do it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see your point Dy, however i feel too much censorship is also a bad thing because we tend to spread the idea that no one can ever take a joke or laugh at themselves.Take Speedy for example. A smart, honest, helpful mexican mouse, buuuut yes his accent and attire were a bit stereotypical. Are his shorts saying this is how all mexicans act? Do they all wear sombreros? Maybe not. Maybe, however, it just happens to be how Speedy is? Aside from that, is he a bad person? In his cartoons he is usually seen helping others, getting friends out of trouble and defeating people that wrong him. Is he promoting any mexican racism? Well, there is the line "Speedy Gonzales is friends with EVERYbody's sister!" Is that saying he's a womanizer? Well, hi IS the hero of the story, so why wouldn't he be portrayed as populer with ladies, right? Does it mean he's out there chasing tail? I don't believe so. He's not really shown to have a girlfriend, nor is this a running theme in his cartoons, so we can assume this is just a joke made by a side character.In may 2003. there was controversy at Cartoon network because they announced a ban on the mouse. This actually prompted most latino groups to argue censoring him WAS the insult. In a survey, the majority of them found him to be a funny, nice, friendly mexican mouse and he was reinstated thanks to a petition of well over 25,000 strong. what's ironic is they have since "Updated" speedy to have a more modern accent, one closer to cheech or chong than Mel Blanc. I find THIS to be more offensive than the prior accent and no one is complaining.Such is all subjective, but if we complained about EVERY stereotype, there would be no Looney Tunes characters left. What a shame and a pity that would be. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

take 'er down a notch thumbalina, these are screen names.  nobody is insulting me.  dig?

Make no mistake about it. I am insulting you, dig? There's something beyond the screen name and that thing is as stupid as advertised. I am insulting that thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay, open season on the new troll’s “wife” and family. He's got stones.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here in the United States you are free to support whatever cause you wish whether it effects you personally or not. Does someone have to be gay or a lesbian to support gay marriage? The first national protests against the Redskins nickname began in 1988, right after Super Bowl XXII. The largest protest was in 1992 at Super Bowl XXVI held in Minnesota where over 2,000 Native Americans from the area showed up to protest. In 1999 a group of Native Americans won a similar court case as to the current one, but was overturned on appeal in 2009. The court did not rule on the merits of the case, but threw it out, saying that the plaintiffs did not have the standing to file it. Which could have the same result this time, or could result in Washington having to find something else to call its team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see your point Dy, however i feel too much censorship is also a bad thing because we tend to spread the idea that no one can ever take a joke or laugh at themselves.Take Speedy for example. A smart, honest, helpful mexican mouse, buuuut yes his accent and attire were a bit stereotypical. Are his shorts saying this is how all mexicans act? Do they all wear sombreros? Maybe not. Maybe, however, it just happens to be how Speedy is? Aside from that, is he a bad person? In his cartoons he is usually seen helping others, getting friends out of trouble and defeating people that wrong him. Is he promoting any mexican racism? Well, there is the line "Speedy Gonzales is friends with EVERYbody's sister!" Is that saying he's a womanizer? Well, hi IS the hero of the story, so why wouldn't he be portrayed as populer with ladies, right? Does it mean he's out there chasing tail? I don't believe so. He's not really shown to have a girlfriend, nor is this a running theme in his cartoons, so we can assume this is just a joke made by a side character.In may 2003. there was controversy at Cartoon network because they announced a ban on the mouse. This actually prompted most latino groups to argue censoring him WAS the insult. In a survey, the majority of them found him to be a funny, nice, friendly mexican mouse and he was reinstated hanks to a petition of well over 25,000 strong. Qhat's ironic is they have since "Updated" speedy to have a more modern accent, one closer to cheech or chong than Mel Blanc. I find THIS to be more offensive than the prior accent and no one is complaining.Such is all subjective, but if we complained about EVERY stereotype, there would be no Looney Tunes characters left. What a shame and a pity that would be.

Agree with all of this. And, we shouldn't ban Huck Finn, either. I don't live in a black and white world.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Skull head, short and sweet next time babe

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see your point Dy, however i feel too much censorship is also a bad thing because we tend to spread the idea that no one can ever take a joke or laugh at themselves.Take Speedy for example. A smart, honest, helpful mexican mouse, buuuut yes his accent and attire were a bit stereotypical. Are his shorts saying this is how all mexicans act? Do they all wear sombreros? Maybe not. Maybe, however, it just happens to be how Speedy is? Aside from that, is he a bad person? In his cartoons he is usually seen helping others, getting friends out of trouble and defeating people that wrong him. Is he promoting any mexican racism? Well, there is the line "Speedy Gonzales is friends with EVERYbody's sister!" Is that saying he's a womanizer? Well, hi IS the hero of the story, so why wouldn't he be portrayed as populer with ladies, right? Does it mean he's out there chasing tail? I don't believe so. He's not really shown to have a girlfriend, nor is this a running theme in his cartoons, so we can assume this is just a joke made by a side character.In may 2003. there was controversy at Cartoon network because they announced a ban on the mouse. This actually prompted most latino groups to argue censoring him WAS the insult. In a survey, the majority of them found him to be a funny, nice, friendly mexican mouse and he was reinstated hanks to a petition of well over 25,000 strong. Qhat's ironic is they have since "Updated" speedy to have a more modern accent, one closer to cheech or chong than Mel Blanc. I find THIS to be more offensive than the prior accent and no one is complaining.Such is all subjective, but if we complained about EVERY stereotype, there would be no Looney Tunes characters left. What a shame and a pity that would be.

Or maybe the Looney Tunes would all be cartoon not cheap racial stereotypes or do you doubt that cartoon writers are that imaginative? How do the other non stereotypical cartoons do it? Somehow they get bye.Years ago I thought Speedy f and the Frito Bandito were super cool. Probably still would in fact. Others don't think he was cool. I don't feel so important that my love of a mythical mouse trumped their basic sense of human dignity.Do you feel differently and why?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay, open season on the new troll's "wife" and family.

That might be going overboard.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Get your comments in now ladies, I’m shutting this thing down and locking it up at 12 pages!Get Busy!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with all of this. And, we shouldn't ban Huck Finn, either. I don't live in a black and white world.

Different argument entirely but for the record. I agree 100% on Huck Finn.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get your comments in now ladies, I'm shutting this thing down and locking it up at 12 pages!Get Busy!!

As cowardly as you are stupid. What a prize you are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jenky, I understand you're mad, and I did see your hand up.  I simply cannot get to my fans as quickly as they would like.  To answer your question, NO...the Logo will look more like Pharrell Williams

So you would support the right of an owner to name his team the Blackskins?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Virtual_Bug_Zapper1.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or maybe the Looney Tunes would all be cartoon not cheap racial stereotypes or do you doubt that cartoon writers are that imaginative? How do the other non stereotypical cartoons do it? Somehow they get bye.Years ago I thought Speedy f and the Frito Bandito were super cool. Probably still would in fact. Others don't think he was cool. I don't feel so important that my love of a mythical mouse trumped their basic sense of human dignity.Do you feel differently and why?

Daffy Duck has a lisp. Bugs is a stereotypical New Yorker (with a combination of two different dialects to boot.) Foghorn Leghorn is a southerner (a parody of another comedian)In my opinion there is a reason Bugs and co. are so endearing abd it isn't because they promote the DEGRADATION of the people they represent, but the smarts. Bugs is always one step ahead. Pepe is witty and flirtatious, Foghorn is wise, Speedy is helpful. They aren't saying that these people are to be looked down upon, but that they are to be loved.I'm an aspiring writer and voice actor and I can tell you. every voice you can dream up is, even in some small way, a stereotype or parody of some trope pertaining to people. It's inevitable. What matters is what you do with it. People always run the risk of misunderstanding a character, and there will always be those that get offended at anything, but sometimes, risk needs to be taken in cartoons. That's how all good ones begin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This thread started off bad and got worse. Lol.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Not to rain on your fantasyland parade, but Foghorn is a self absorbed idiot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to agree here. You could take offense at anything, and I’m not going to give up Seinfeld. The Redskins, however, was always a crappy name and is even crappier now. The team colors suck, the unis suck, Snyder and Allen suck. There's nothing good about the team. Blow it up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with you Beat.  Maybe your opinion is wrong, that is for each person to decide for himself, but I don't think it merits the heavy handed, insult laden, self righteousness Axxon laid out there. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to rain on your fantasyland parade, but Foghorn is a self absorbed idiot.

That's what makes him funny.....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evey cartoon character is an idiot, to an extent. My point being though that like Bugs, he was smart enough to out-talk adversaries. There is nothing there about him that is meant to expressly offend anyone. If someone is, that is a subjective matter and shouldn’t mean the character as a whole need be removed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Beatles, just admit it, man….The Redskins have always sucked and always will suck. Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What matters is what you do with it.

You have summed up exactly why some people have a problem with the term of Redskin.  Even though its origins were more descriptive than derogatory, and in many cases its usage now might not be offensive, there is a long history of many people using it as a racial epithet.  You might not find it offensive, but clearly there are a lot of folks that do.  And you have no right to tell them how offended they are or aren't allowed to be.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“That’s what makes him funny….”Exactly. Were laughing at him, not with him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh I agree, the TEAM sucks. I’m merely saying that sometimes, there is a difference between being tolerant and being afraid. :)But yes, nuke the Skins as a team :P

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evey cartoon character is, to an extent. My point being rgough that like Bugs, he was smart enough to out-talk adversaries. There is nothing there about hum that is meant to expressly offend anyone. If someone is, that is a subjective matter and shouldn't mean the character as a whole need be removed.

So Native American  = cartoon characters. Got it. All of this talk  is admirable until we talk about systematic abuse then it's hard to get with the bandwagon if you're getting the abuse.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Nice boy, but doesn't listen to a word ya say.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with you Beat.  Maybe your opinion is wrong, that is for each person to decide for himself, but I don't think it merits the heavy handed, insult laden, self righteousness Axxon laid out there.

I apologize. I should have made a point of not insulting him. He's not native american so I'm not allowed. My bad. Beatles is a special snowflake who must be treasured not a lousy redskin am I right?edited to add: not that I think Beatles is a special snowflake nor have I ever heard him act like one. This reply is to how you think he should be treated not how he has asked to be treated.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You have summed up exactly why some people have a problem with the term of Redskin.  Even though its origins were more descriptive than derogatory, and in many cases its usage now might not be offensive, there is a long history of many people using it as a racial epithet.  You might not find it offensive, but clearly there are a lot of folks that do.  And you have no right to tell them how offended they are or aren't allowed to be.

Of course, but what about the flipside? How many enjoy the name? How many people take it that seriously vs the people that don’t? I liken this to south park, some find it offensive, some don’t because it’s just a fictional cartoon. In the end, you're not going to please everyone in this situation.As for foghorn, if we were laughing at him as in rooting against him, or looking down upon him, he wouldn't be the hero! Edit: Axx: People can be offended, but sometimes we DO in this day and age tend to have less of an ability not to be. That was all i was commenting on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh I agree, the TEAM sucks. I'm merely saying that sometimes, there is a difference between being tolerant and being afraid. :)But yes, nuke the Skins as a team :P

And you need the talent of a Don Rickles to walk that line. Most don't have that talent and really shouldn't try.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course, but what about the flipside? How many enjoy the name? How many people take it that seriously vs the people that don't? I liken this to south park, some find it offensive, some find it hillarious because it's just a fictional cartoonIn the end, you're not going to please everyone in this situation.

I am sure there are a lot of southern whites than enjoy using the N word but that doesn't preclude it from being hurtful

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

well, I happen to live in North carolina and It seems to me like it isn’t used much at all in my area. If it is, blacks up here would use it just as much.This is a slightly different subject though I feel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I apologize. I should have made a point of not insulting him. He's not native american so I'm not allowed. My bad. Beatles is a special snowflake who must be treasured not a lousy redskin am I right?edited to add: not that I think Beatles is a special snowflake nor have I ever heard him act like one. This reply is to how you think he should be treated not how he has asked to be treated.

I didn't think people had to ASK to be treated with respect when they are politely expressing an opinion like Beatles was.  Hard to believe someone championing the cause of the people offended by the Redskins moniker, needs to have that explained.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh I agree, the TEAM sucks. I'm merely saying that sometimes, there is a difference between being tolerant and being afraid. :)But yes, nuke the Skins as a team :P

And you need the talent of a Don Rickles to walk that line. Most don't have that talent and really shouldn't try.

Rickles didn't walk the line, he made a point of crossing it as he wanted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course, but what about the flipside? How many enjoy the name? How many people take it that seriously vs the people that don't? I liken this to south park, some find it offensive, some find it hillarious because it's just a fictional cartoonIn the end, you're not going to please everyone in this situation.

I am sure there are a lot of southern whites than enjoy using the N word but that doesn't preclude it from being hurtful

Ummm, plenty of Northern whites employ that too.  the South does not have a monopoly on prejudice.  Or are you just using a stereotype?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't think people had to ASK to be treated with respect when they are politely expressing an opinion like Beatles was.  Hard to believe someone championing the cause of the people offended by the Redskins moniker, needs to have that explained.

I need what explained exactly? I explained to Beatles that I had done that to show him how it felt to arbitrarily be treated with disrespect since he was willing to do this to others. Using disrespect to illustrate a point is not the same as saying that I get to decide what makes someone else feel disrespected. I knew I was being disrespectful, made no pretense I wasn't being disrespectful ( like he was ) nor saying it was ok. It was serving him a dish of his own medicine and he didn't like it. Like I knew he wouldn't but still he thinks being disrespectful of others is ok. At least I tried but you can't get through to some people.So, Kit Fan, why does Beatles deserve more respect than the Native Americans he feels free to insult? What makes him special?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BS, no one ever got offended and in fact wanted to be insulted by Don because he NEVER crossed the line. To be missed by Don was the insult. History is full of line crossers that no one remembers; folks like Don, not so much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I need what explained exactly? I explained to Beatles that I had done that to show him how it felt to arbitrarily be treated with disrespect since he was willing to do this to others. Using disrespect to illustrate a point is not the same as saying that I get to decide what makes someone else feel disrespected. I knew I was being disrespectful, made no pretense I wasn't being disrespectful ( like he was ) nor saying it was ok. It was serving him a dish of his own medicine and he didn't like it. Like I knew he wouldn't but still he thinks being disrespectful of others is ok. At least I tried but you can't get through to some people.So, Kit Fan, why does Beatles deserve more respect than the Native Americans he feels free to insult? What makes him special?

Explaining why he believes the moniker is not offensive is not insulting or demeaning them.  And kudos to you if you have convinced yourself that you were simply illustrating a point by offensive yourself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"That's what makes him funny...."Exactly. Were laughing at him, not with him.

Yeah, that's what comedy is for the most part. What's the solution? Never show a person with an imperfection that could possibly be associated with a group of people? The Redskins, as a name, is past it's time. The name sucks anyway. BTW, I"ve got no issue with the Celtics, the Fighting Irish, or the Seminoles. But, referring to a group of people by skin color, publicly, as a mascot, to represent the capital city of the U.S, is beyond embarrassing in this day and age.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BS, no one ever got offended and in fact wanted to be insulted by Don because he NEVER crossed the line. To be missed by Don was the insult. History is full of line crossers that no one remembers; folks like Don, not so much.

So if any Native Americans feel honored by Washington using the name Redskins, then a line is not being crossed?  And you can not possibly say that NO ONE was offended by Rickles.  That is absurd.  Many people would be offended by Rickles comedy today even if they were not the butt of the joke.  Simply knowing the joke had been made using a generality or stereotype would have people in an uproar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Explaining why he believes the moniker is not offensive is not insulting or demeaning them.  And kudos to you if you have convinced yourself that you were simply illustrating a point by offensive yourself.

Yes, that is what I was doing unless you like Beatles are the final arbitor of what others think in which, I guess, I was doing whatever you told me I was doing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just sayin'...http://t.mediaite.com/mediaite/#!/entry/don-rickles-shocks-audience-with-racially-charged-joke-about-obama,4fd27ef94b672622b82a2353

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So if any Native Americans feel honored by Washington using the name Redskins, then a line is not being crossed?  And you can not possibly say that NO ONE was offended by Rickles.  That is absurd.  Many people would be offended by Rickles comedy today even if they were not the butt of the joke.  Simply knowing the joke had been made using a generality or stereotype would have people in an uproar.

SHRUG, Don is playing at  The Orleans Hotel and Casino - Orleans ShowroomLas Vegas, NV on Aug 16th and 17th. He's not dead by any stretch. Care to link to the many offended  people who are speaking out condemning Don? I'm perfectly willing to agree they're there. Of course, no one is hyperbole. I'm looking forward to that link so I can see how wrong I was and how many plan to sue him or get him fired or you know, what they do to people who offend them. Can't wait to read them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just sayin'...http://t.mediaite.com/mediaite/#!/entry/don-rickles-shocks-audience-with-racially-charged-joke-about-obama,4fd27ef94b672622b82a2353

Two years ago? And the aftermath was...? How long did Donald Sterling last?Also, shocked does not equal offended.

According to the Hollywood Reporter‘s Gregg Kilday, the joke both stunned and amused the audience, drawing both gasps and laughs.

Got a real example?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To be clear, I am only rebutting the idea you presented that "no one ever got offended"  and that he "NEVER crossed the line". 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The name was never meant to be offensive. It was meant to honor our native peoples. But, it doesn’t honor them now. In general usage, the term “redskin” is an outdated, obsolete, and generally, socially offensive language. You'd think the billionaire, Snyder, would be able to figure a way to update the team name, logo, etc., honor our native peoples with a new name, sell a whole new slew of fan gear, and come out looking like a good guy. The way it's going, he's going to miss his opportunity of being on the side of history, look like a villain, and be stuck with the crappy, outdated name and logo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To be clear, I am only rebutting the idea you presented that "no one ever got offended"  and that he "NEVER crossed the line".

And I have conceded that this was hyperbole so we should be good. Not wise to mix comedy with serious political commentary in any case. They're different types of speech and are treated far differently. I can't help it though. I am a huge Rickles fan :D

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

I would have expected a pissing match between Axxon and fanofkit to have more eloquent smack. "And as for you, I shall not be surprised to learn of your death by communicable disease or upon the gallows." "That, sir, would depend entirely on whether I were to embrace your morals or your mistress."You know, that sort of thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sacked by Sapp is on to a real life situation that all should be concerned about.  More and more, political correctness is being pushed by our government.It is not politically correct to say Global Warming is not a scientific fact. Last week IBD (Investor's Business Daily) had an editorial relating  how legitimate climate scientists who claimed there is no scientific evidence for global warming were being pressured through job security about speaking out against the threat of Global Warming.What you speak in public and what are taught in schools is more and more influenced by government and their interpretation of political correctness.This is how Hitler started.I certainly don't expect this government intervention to continue. Things in our government tend to swing back and forth.Nevertheless, it is to everyone's benefit to at least recognize what is happening.  It is not that you have to agree, but see it for what it is:  Government becoming more and more involved in our daily life.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I am a huge Rickles fan :D

Me too, You're welcome: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/don-rickles-you-ll-never-play-the-copa

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Dy-nasty D:   "The name was never meant to be offensive. It was meant to honor our native peoples. But, it doesn't honor them now. In general usage, the term "redskin" is an outdated, obsolete, and generally, socially offensive language. You'd think the billionaire, Snyder, would be able to figure a way to update the team name, logo, etc., honor our native peoples with a new name, sell a whole new slew of fan gear, and come out looking like a good guy. The way it's going, he's going to miss his opportunity of being on the side of history, look like a villain, and be stuck with the crappy, outdated name and logo."Excellent point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sacked by Sapp is on to a real life situation that all should be concerned about.  More and more, political correctness is being pushed by our government.It is not politically correct to say Global Warming is not a scientific fact. Last week IBD (Investor's Business Daily) had an editorial relating  how legitimate climate scientists who claimed there is no scientific evidence for global warming were being pressured through job security about speaking out against the threat of Global Warming.What you speak in public and what are taught in schools is more and more influenced by government and their interpretation of political correctness.This is how Hitler started.I certainly don't expect this government intervention to continue. Things in our government tend to swing back and forth.Nevertheless, it is to everyone's benefit to at least recognize what is happening.  It is not that you have to agree, but see it for what it is:  Government becoming more and more involved in our daily life.

The government is everywhere, man. They've got secret drones flying through your TV set. They can read your thoughts when you sleep. Obama knows what you're thinking. Scary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would have expected a pissing match between Axxon and fanofkit to have more eloquent smack. "And as for you, I shall not be surprised to learn of your death by communicable disease or upon the gallows." "That, sir, would depend entirely on whether I were to embrace your morals or your mistress."You know, that sort of thing.

I much prefer"Tell me, does your mother still whisper my name when you're in bed BLEEPing her?" but that's why I don't get in too many fights. :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am a huge Rickles fan :D

Me too, You're welcome: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/don-rickles-you-ll-never-play-the-copa

This was pretty cool. I've seen the show once or twice but missed this one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even funnier if an Arena team started calling themselves the Redskins also and used the exact same logo and everything. It isn't trademarked so they couldn't stop it , lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even funnier if an Arena team started calling themselves the Redskins also and used the exact same logo and everything. It isn't trademarked so they couldn't stop it , lol.

they dont lose the tm until after exhausting all appeals, years from now probably

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Common and state law would still protect it. It's a joke if people think a federal trademark is the only thing protecting the brand.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Common and state law would still protect it. It's a joke if people think a federal trademark is the only thing protecting the brand.

How could state law protect it if a team in Lickskillet Alabama decides they are the Redskins also ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How could state law protect it if a team in Lickskillet Alabama decides they are the Redskins also ?

Google "Common Law" or read the FAQ's on the US Patent offices site on it. You know the same organization that started this thread."What are “common law” rights?Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark.  Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark and may allow the common law user to successfully challenge a registration or application."http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jspThe Redskins have used the name since 1968. That's plenty of history to make the case it's a trademark even without the federal status. It's just more expensive to protect your trademark in 50 states vs the federal level. Either way the Redskins prevail.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vince is the board lawyer . I’d have to ask him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vince is the board lawyer . I'd have to ask him.

Ask anyone you want. What I said is the law. Any legal expert will say the same thing."If a sports fan decides to produce and sell Washington Redskins gear without obtaining advance permission from the team, and the gear creates a false representation that it originated from the NFL’s Washington Redskins organization, then that fan may be in violation of improperly benefiting from the use of the team’s common law protected trademark and be forced to pay damages related to the infringing use."http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/06/18/loss-of-redskins-trademark-registration-is-overblown/http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/06/18/todays-ruling-does-not-mean-you-can-open-your-own-redskins-merchandise-shop/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They are a mostly Native american school. There is a difference between calling yourself a name and being called a name. Look at how many African Americans throw around the N word. Honestly though there is no way around the fact that the term "Redskin" is rooted in racism. There is nothing that anyone can say or do or otherwise that will change that fact. If people can't understand that a word that is blatantly offensive, I have no more faith in humanity. (As if I had much to begin with anyways.)

Baloney!Name me one Black school at any level that calls their football team the N word?  You can't so get rid of that nonsense!As to Redskin... Again....Who do you know that has ever used such a remark towards a Native American Indian? Be honest if that is possible.In my entire lifetime and I have a feeling I am far older than you, I have never heard a single person yell at some native American Indian and called them a Redskin.  Npw I know plenty of Buc fans that have said I can't wait to see if the Bucs can beat the Redskins.  Seriously, this is just a couple of people of Native American descent that are doing the "LOOK AT ME I AM OFFENDED" act ,and looking for what else?  $$$$'s in their pocket or given celebrity status as speaking for all native Americans.  Doubt it works because this is just an attention getter and the Washington Redskins will prevail just as they did before.  So are you a native American Indian?      Again answer honestly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Google "Common Law" or read the FAQ's on the US Patent offices site on it. You know the same organization that started this thread."What are “common law” rights?Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark.  Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark and may allow the common law user to successfully challenge a registration or application."http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jspThe Redskins have used the name since 1968. That's plenty of history to make the case it's a trademark even without the federal status. It's just more expensive to protect your trademark in 50 states vs the federal level. Either way the Redskins prevail.

Correct!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The good news is the story created lots of drama over NOTHING. Add to the fact it will take about 4-5 years before the appeals are done. Last time it started in 1999 and ended in 2003.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol, not my line of work but the linked article coincides with my post above and on first few pages of the thread:The Redskins, who may appeal the decision, retain their federal trademark registrations until all appeals have been exhausted. That process could take years, as it did after the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board canceled the team’s trademark registrations in 1999

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol, not my line of work but the linked article coincides with my post above and on first few pages of the thread:The Redskins, who may appeal the decision, retain their federal trademark registrations until all appeals have been exhausted. That process could take years, as it did after the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board canceled the team’s trademark registrations in 1999

It's not my line of work either but I work with patent attorneys at work. Those guys make like $200-250k a year because of chit like this. They get to write their own check and have job security. LOL

Please wait…

• vlagatta

The good news is the story created lots of drama over NOTHING. Add to the fact it will take about 4-5 years before the appeals are done. Last time it started in 1999 and ended in 2003.

Actually I created it.  It's intentional.  In the coming weeks, most of you will understand what's going on, and why.The good news is, I'm here to help.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Vince is the board lawyer . I'd have to ask him.

I got the feeling today it was acacius

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I got a message that a certain person here deleted all of his 18 messages in this thread.  THAT, is funny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And I have conceded that this was hyperbole so we should be good. Not wise to mix comedy with serious political commentary in any case. They're different types of speech and are treated far differently. I can't help it though. I am a huge Rickles fan :D

No problem here,  also a Rickles fan.  Comedy and serious political comedy are often too intimately intertwined to be separated.  Especially when discussing the evolving degrees of sensitivity in our culture.  My only real contention with you was how quick I felt you were to label and insult someone who was politely expressing his take on the matter.  Too often even the folks arguing in defense of tolerance and understanding are quick to use unnecessary sharpness to dismiss the perspectives of others when it does not match their own.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I got a message that a certain person here deleted all of his 18 messages in this thread.  THAT, is funny.

lolz

Please wait…

• vlagatta

No problem here,  also a Rickles fan.  Comedy and serious political comedy are often too intimately intertwined to be separated.  Especially when discussing the evolving degrees of sensitivity in our culture.  My only real contention with you was how quick I felt you were to label and insult someone who was politely expressing his take on the matter.  Too often even the folks arguing in defense of tolerance and understanding are quick to use unnecessary sharpness to dismiss the perspectives of others when it does not match their own.

Do me a favor, and please don't break down what comedy is, does, and how it works.  Lenny Bruce died for our sins just so we would never have to hear that crap.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

lolz

seriously, I mean it's all fun. it's the off season and we're all bucs fans just yapping it up.  I hate when kids take things that seriously.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm flattered, but you overestimate both my eloquence and level of hostility.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No worries. I really wasn't being dismissive though. I never am. I'm  not typing to see letters in print. Sure I'm typing for my entertainment but I am also typing to learn and teach. I don't think like some people do. How am I to understand how people think without digging in to it and finding out? Since it is alien to my way of thinking I'm not going to be sympathetic going in. I'm going to challenge and to question and see where you're coming from. Hopefully you'll be doing the same thing to me. I don't run from the replies and stay until one of us either sees the light or gets too tired to type anymore. That's what I do when I bother to think about it which isn't always but with a contentious subject matter is most of the time. It was in that conversation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn’t read the whole thread, so I may be offbase here, butI don't think its that big a deal really.  So if successful, Danny boy won't have exclusive right to the Redskin logo. And some factory in China can start banging out Redskin apparel. They already do that. And if Danny loses, he could do the same thing. Bang out Redskin gear in China, and pocket all the money for himself. Instead of having to share the profits with all the other owners.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My question is, why aren’t they going after the Indians (baseball team with goofy disrespectful logo) too?Seems like there is some bias towards snyder, the team, or the nfl. At least their logo is respectful.Are they going to go after logos like the Seminoles, who have a similar look? I mean, these are the same people who allow trademarks for any number of revolting items, names, and logos.Snyder should change the name to the washington Pushovers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No worries. I really wasn't being dismissive though. I never am. I'm  not typing to see letters in print. Sure I'm typing for my entertainment but I am also typing to learn and teach. I don't think like some people do. How am I to understand how people think without digging in to it and finding out? Since it is alien to my way of thinking I'm not going to be sympathetic going in. I'm going to challenge and to question and see where you're coming from. Hopefully you'll be doing the same thing to me. I don't run from the replies and stay until one of us either sees the light or gets too tired to type anymore. That's what I do when I bother to think about it which isn't always but with a contentious subject matter is most of the time. It was in that conversation.

I get you, but I am too lazy for the Socratic method approach.  I have no expectations of changing anyone's opinion on this board.  I do love the give and take this board affords us.  Always know that I have no malice in my heart, or offense taken during these discussions.  In the end, it's all random pixels assembled on my screen, woven by the hands of anonymous folks I'll never meet on a football message board.All the best!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually I created it.  It's intentional.  In the coming weeks, most of you will understand what's going on, and why.The good news is, I'm here to help.

You regurgitated it from the source. If it wasn't you it would have been someone else. Don't try to take credit for something you had no control over. You don't even understand the topic you just troll it up to get your jollies off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I get you, but I am too lazy for the Socratic method approach.  I have no expectations of changing anyone's opinion on this board.  I do love the give and take this board affords us.  Always know that I have no malice in my heart, or offense taken during these discussions.  In the end, it's all random pixels assembled on my screen, woven by the hands of anonymous folks I'll never meet on a football message board.All the best!

Same to you!I did some reading on this issue last night. It's a myth that this is modern PC gone crazy. The Redskins have 6 trademarks registered from the period of 1967-1990. The rule being used is based on a significant number of the people being disparaged feeling that they were disparaged at that time. The rules don't care about now, they care about then.They concluded:

The record established that, at a minimum, approximately thirty percent of Native Americans found the term REDSKINS used in connection with respondent's services to be disparaging at all times including 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978 and 1990. ... Thirty percent is without a doubt a substantial composite. To determine otherwise means it is acceptable to subject to disparagement 1 out of every 3 individuals, or as in this case approximately 625,095 out of 1,878,285 in 1990. There is nothing in the Trademark Act, which expressly prohibits registration of disparaging terms, or in its legislative history, to permit that level of disparagement of a group and, therefore, we find this showing of thirty percent to be more than substantial. ... Once a substantial composite has been found, the mere existence of differing opinions cannot change the conclusion.

Considering the wounded knee massacre occured in 1973 it's not surprising that Native Americans were a bit touchy during those years. I also read that they have been trying to have the name changed since the late 1960's which further bolstered their claim. Oh, and all 5 of the plaintiffs are Native Americans so it's not exactly all about liberal guilt. These guys have been complaining for a long time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My question is, why aren't they going after the Indians (baseball team with goofy disrespectful logo) too?

They were at one time . Not sure why they stopped.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My question is, why aren't they going after the Indians (baseball team with goofy disrespectful logo) too?Seems like there is some bias towards snyder, the team, or the nfl. At least their logo is respectful.Are they going to go after logos like the Seminoles, who have a similar look? I mean, these are the same people who allow trademarks for any number of revolting items, names, and logos.Snyder should change the name to the washington Pushovers.

1. It is Washington, DC.  The Supreme Court, Congress, and President hold office there.  This allows speech control members of Congress and the President to make this a Federal issue.  Braves, Seminoles, etc do not have this political advantage.  2.  These people who claim to be offended, do not care about the name.  Most of them are not even Native American.  They are Saul Alinsky followers.  If you do not know who that is, I suggest a little bit of research.  They chip a way one right at a time to control speech.  The Seminoles, Indians and Braves are next.  The idea is to win this battle to create precedent, and get people accepting having speech controlled by the government.  Saul Alinsky followers want to fundamentally transform America by tearing at America's fabric.  Nothing is more American than the NFL.  If they can control the speech of a powerhouse American icon team in the NFL, how easy will it be to control the speech of everyday people?  Very easy. In Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" book, two of the main things to control people is healthcare and speech.  Healthcare is already checked off of the list. Get ready for VA style medical care in about 20 years or earlier.  In the NFL you are better off committing a felony rather than using "offensive speech".  Look at which countries control speech in the past and present: Nazi Germany, China, Iran, Soviet Union, etc....3. This ruling has very little power.  The Redskins can still sue for Trademark infringement under the common law.  They just do not have the weight of the Trademark stamp.  A similiar ruling was made in 1999 against the Redskins, and overturned in 2003.  The idea of this ruling is to swing public opinion, and to get people to believe the Redskins are wrong.  Why else would the Trademark office do this again, when they were already overturned by a federal court in 2003 on the same ruling with the same team?4.  Google "fundamentally transform America". This will guide you as to which politicians want to change America,.  Transforming America means transforming everything, including NFL football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

correct again and in the end Lawyers make tons of money on both sides.  Whats not to like? ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

correct again and in the end Lawyers make tons of money on both sides.  Whats not to like? ::)

The patent attorneys I work with here make $200,000 to $250,000 a year. Not to mention the bonuses. It's a nice gig.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My question is, why aren't they going after the Indians (baseball team with goofy disrespectful logo) too?Seems like there is some bias towards snyder, the team, or the nfl. At least their logo is respectful.Are they going to go after logos like the Seminoles, who have a similar look? I mean, these are the same people who allow trademarks for any number of revolting items, names, and logos.Snyder should change the name to the washington Pushovers.

1. It is Washington, DC.  The Supreme Court, Congress, and President hold office there.  This allows speech control members of Congress and the President to make this a Federal issue.  Braves, Seminoles, etc do not have this political advantage.  2.  These people who claim to be offended, do not care about the name.  Most of them are not even Native American.  They are Saul Alinsky followers.  If you do not know who that is, I suggest a little bit of research.  They chip a way one right at a time to control speech.  The Seminoles, Indians and Braves are next.  The idea is to win this battle to create precedent, and get people accepting having speech controlled by the government.  Saul Alinsky followers want to fundamentally transform America by tearing at America's fabric.  Nothing is more American than the NFL.  If they can control the speech of a powerhouse American icon team in the NFL, how easy will it be to control the speech of everyday people?  Very easy. In Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" book, two of the main things to control people is healthcare and speech.  Healthcare is already checked off of the list. Get ready for VA style medical care in about 20 years or earlier.  In the NFL you are better off committing a felony rather than using "offensive speech".  Look at which countries control speech in the past and present: Nazi Germany, China, Iran, Soviet Union, etc....3. This ruling has very little power.  The Redskins can still sue for Trademark infringement under the common law.  They just do not have the weight of the Trademark stamp.  A similiar