Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 47 reply threads

• Author

• JDouble

Participant

So I was chatting earlier and this subject came up. At first the idea of the 49ers trading Patrick Willis sounds absurd. However, if you look at the facts it actually sounds very possible.- He is coming off a year that he went on IR for a strained toe.- He will turn 30 years old this month.- Bowman has proven to be a stud and is costing them $10M per year, but is four years younger.- Chris Boreland showed he can get the job done at a fraction of the cost.- They are projected to be about $5M over the 2015 salary cap before they even resign any of their own guys, go after free agents, or sign their draft picks. - They are getting a new regime that has no allegiance to a 30 year old LB that costs $9M/yr.So the 49ers are going to have to make some tough choices this off season and there is no dead money if they trade Willis. They would get all of his $8.2M salary back in cap room. If they decide to shop him, would you be willing to give up a top 100 draft pick for him? Personally I usually hate the idea of signing other team's old heroes, but I'd do it for Willis. Even if it only lasts for three or four years, it would be so awesome to have David and Willis out there running things. He has two years left and he makes $8.2M in 2015, then $9.6M in 2016....but I would think he would do a new deal if he was traded. We could probably add on three years to make it a 5 year deal and make the yearly cap hit a little lower. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

definitely not a 2nd..maybe a 3rd.. and he’s worth too much..

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Patrick Willis. He has been one of my favorite linebackers in the game since he’s played the game. However I wouldnt trade a draft pick for him. These type of moves have not favored us lately. Maybe a 4th but we don’t have a 4th.

• install

Participant

I like Patrick Willis. He has been one of my favorite linebackers in the game since he's played the game. However I wouldnt trade a draft pick for him. These type of moves have not favored us lately. Maybe a 4th but we don't have a 4th.

. We do have a 4th ... Pick #98 from the Patriots trade FYI ...

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Patrick Willis. He has been one of my favorite linebackers in the game since he's played the game. However I wouldnt trade a draft pick for him. These type of moves have not favored us lately. Maybe a 4th but we don't have a 4th.

yes we do from the Barron deal

• Anonymous

Inactive

noo from the rams trade FYI

• install

Participant

Negative ghost rider ....Mankins and wright trade ........FYI http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/2015.htm

• Anonymous

Inactive

Negative ghost rider ....Mankins and wright trade ........FYI http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/2015.htm

but I'm telling both of you that we have a 4th due to the Barron deal

• install

Participant

Affirmative ghost rider ......a 4th and a 6th for Barron

• Anonymous

Inactive

and why exactly are you calling ghost rider because i corrected you when you were wrong?

• install

Participant

and why exactly are you calling ghost rider because i corrected you when you were wrong?

Why can't you read ?  I said affirmative , a 4 and a 6 ...

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d be okay with him for a fourth.

• Anonymous

Inactive

As mentioned earlier, I’d be in for a 3rd.  Don’t think I could do a 2nd.  Willis is one of the league’s best LB’s in coverage which is vital for Lovie’s D.  I don’t think he’s lost a step but assuming that sometime in the next 3 years he might, he’s still smart and physical enough to be an above average MLB.  He would also be the best defensive leader and voice that we’ve had since Sapp, which is huge !!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

the one that can't read here its you. i asked why the hell you keep calling me ghost rider you turd

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s going to be very cap expensive and is on the downside of his career.  It’s possible that just because of his game and age he becomes injury prone.  For me, even a 4th is risky.  I might do it, I’d be happier with a 6th or 7th.

• install

Participant

the one that can't read here its you. i asked why the hell you keep calling me ghost rider you turd

. Negative ghost rider ..

• install

Participant

. It's just a sayin you turd ...you never watched top gun I suppose

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's going to be very cap expensive and is on the downside of his career.  It's possible that just because of his game and age he becomes injury prone.  For me, even a 4th is risky.  I might do it, I'd be happier with a 6th or 7th.

A 6th or 7th? He is still arguably the best inside linebacker in the game. Let's try and be somewhat realistic.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Given the way he has played In a tampa 2 maybe Rolondo McClain but I can’t see Willis.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Given the way he has played In a tampa 2 maybe Rolondo McClain but I can't see Willis.

You can't see Willis playing the middle LBer spot in a Tampa 2?  C'mon man...FWIW, I do not really want the guy...not for any proposed deal.  He is getting older, banged up, expensive...still good, but them wheels could fall off real soon.  He could anchor the middle of a Tampa 2 with success, IMO.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can see him playing it, I can’t see him playing it here next year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We should go OL with the next 3 picks after Mariota. So no, maybe a 4th. Maybe.

• Anonymous

Inactive

. Negative ghost rider ..

lmfao

• Anonymous

Inactive

Given the way he has played In a tampa 2 maybe Rolondo McClain but I can't see Willis.

Cant trust him. I wouldn't want that guy. I'll take Bruce Carter all day tho.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe if we were in a position to contend I would but I feel we are 2-3 years away if we draft well. He is expensive and on the downside of his career at this point. He's still a good player but he has lost a step. I would prefer to invest in a younger player.

• Anonymous

Inactive

good LBs are easy enough to draft.  can often get a pro bowl caliber one in the 2nd round.  sometimes third.  can often find decent ones in free agency.  trading draft picks for an older one with a big contract is just stupid.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A bad toe and 30-ish? Sounds a lot like that Nicks guy we signed a while back…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we are not on the verge of winning ANYTHING. We need to stop acting like giving our draft picks away for aging vets is going to make us instant contenders. When these types of deals fizzle out, we still suck. At least for now, we still suck …..but have some draft picks to use.

• Anonymous

Inactive

No trades for old players no matter how good they are.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would offer them something for Navarro Bowman tho.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A bad toe and 30-ish? Sounds a lot like that Nicks guy we signed a while back...

the worse part is that Nicks was 26 not 30…you make a great point though..i know i said maybe a 3rd earlier but after giving it some thought, i would only touch him with a late pick. he's Leader that can help our D when healthy thats the only reason why id want him here.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Their window closed…Harbaugh is gone….I’m thinking they would be willing to part ways for something like a 4th and I’d be open to that if I were Tampa.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why? We are likely a couple of years away, you can’t be sure Willis will be anything more than JAG in a few years.  I’m not interested in anything that is win now shirt of a few plug in one year contract type players.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why? We are likely a couple of years away, you can't be sure Willis will be anything more than JAG in a few years.  I'm not interested in anything that is win now shirt of a few plug in one year contract type players.

If he's healthy, he can give a good 3-4 years of solid play in the middle. That would add a lot more flexibility to the LB crew with Lansanah and David.Having said that I don't think it's a priority as the Bucs can still have a strong core simply by virtue of continuity in the system (resign Foster).

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree on McClain. Don't want any part of that idiot. What's up with Carter though? I know I liked him as a prospect, but I think he was injured early on as a rookie and I've just never taken the time to watch him. Has he played well? He projected to be a Lavonte David type LB, but I never hear his name so I assumed he didn't pan out.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d love to see Willis on this team.  I’d hate to see us give up a draft pick for him.  I don’t see this team as being in a position to be spending (more) draft picks on older players.  No matter how good.

• Anonymous

Inactive

San Fran was already taking Willis off the field in passing downs a healthy percentage of the times.  Do you think he fits into our scheme where we need our LB’s to be able to pass cover.  I love the way he plays the game but he doesn’t fit our scheme at this point in his career.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree on McClain. Don't want any part of that idiot. What's up with Carter though? I know I liked him as a prospect, but I think he was injured early on as a rookie and I've just never taken the time to watch him. Has he played well? He projected to be a Lavonte David type LB, but I never hear his name so I assumed he didn't pan out.

I don't think he's been great but there is too much talent there for him to not be doing well. I think he probably needs a change of scenery. I figure if he's your 3rd or 4th best LB then you have a pretty good group.

• Anonymous

Inactive

San Fran was already taking Willis off the field in passing downs a healthy percentage of the times. 

If that is true, it was probably because of the toe injury that ended up putting him on IR. By all accounts he is still one of the best coverage linebackers in the game.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I had a dream that we could have David and Willis next season, and then draft Myles Jack in 2016. Myles could be out Sam as well as fill in at both WLB and MLB if needed, and then he could slide over and take on the MLB role full time when Willis falls off. A dream I know, but I'm old school and I love the idea of having an elite LB core. David gives us a great piece and I want to see him teamed up with another great LB. I hate to see him waste away playing next to average/below average linebackers his whole career.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carter has been a huge flop in Dallas. Thought he was out of place in a 34 but he was worse in 43 last two years. Been on and off the bench. Kinda feel like if Marinelli can’t get better out of him this might be as good as it gets.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I had a dream that we could have David and Willis next season, and then draft Myles Jack in 2016. Myles could be out Sam as well as fill in at both WLB and MLB if needed, and then he could slide over and take on the MLB role full time when Willis falls off. A dream I know, but I'm old school and I love the idea of having an elite LB core. David gives us a great piece and I want to see him teamed up with another great LB. I hate to see him waste away playing next to average/below average linebackers his whole career.

I pray we are position to get that dude.  He's going to be a pro bowler from day one.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I pray we are position to get that dude.  He's going to be a pro bowler from day one.

He's the guy from UCLA that also plays some RB too right?

• Anonymous

Inactive

yea.. that kid is special

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good teams trade big name players on the downside of their careers.  Bad teams trade for those players- see Logan Mankins.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carter > athlete than football player. I worry about those guys as they get older and can't rely on their athleticism as a much.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good teams trade big name players on the downside of their careers.  Bad teams trade for those players- see Logan Mankins.

Simeon Rice was 28 when we signed him. That turned out pretty good. Hardy Nickerson was 28 also. I get what you are saying though and if Willis was 32 I would feel the same way....but he hasn't actually even turned 30 yet. I don't feel he is done or even close. I'll be surprised if he doesn't have another 3-5 years of greatness left in him....and 3-5 years is an eternity in the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He does play a little RB, but mostly he sticks to defense now. He plays inside linebacker, outside linebacker, and safety. He is pretty incredible. When he does play RB, he does things like this....https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0254A14A2D1143038385380831232_387604d46ea.0.1.16334024342187672032.mp4?versionId=3XTlB9_B..W.Rf1CCMQ9MgShW_LGOaE0

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.