Viewing 17 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Patriots have a new strategy, which one coach is calling 'genius'By John Breech | CBSSports.comSeptember 30, 2015 7:55 pm ET  Belichick-offensive-line-09-30-15_zpsdawzjilj.pngBill Belichick and the Patriots always seem to be one step ahead of everyone else. (USATSI)The Patriots offense has gotten off to a hot start this year. Through three games, Tom Brady has only been sacked six times and the team has scored 119 points, which is a franchise record for most points through three games.A big reason the Patriots offense has been successful so far is because Brady's been on fire, and a big reason why Brady's been able to stay hot is because he's getting good protection from his offensive line -- and that's where the Patriots' new innovation comes in.In the NFL, most teams hope that they can start the same five players on their offensive line all season, with the hope that the unit eventually builds chemistry by playing together.That's not the Patriots plan though, at least not this year.This year, the Patriots are rotating guys in and out at such a furious pace that the team didn't use the same line combination once during their first five possesions in the team's season-opening win over Pittsburgh.Florida State offensive line coach Rick Trickett, who's been coaching football for over 40 years, has been impressed with the Patriots."I think it's one of the smartest things I've ever seen," Trickett told the Boston Herald. "It's genius."That's quite the compliment coming from a guy who literally wrote a book about playing on the offensive line. Trickett has been paying close attention to the Patriots' line because two former Seminoles -- Tre' Jackson and Bryan Stork -- are offensive linemen on New England's roster.According to the Herald, the Patriots have used 10 different line combinations this season and didn't use the same combo once on consecutive drives in Sunday's 51-17 win over Jacksonville.So why are they doing it?Obviously, the Patriots aren't going to give away any secrets, but offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo did say that there's a method to his madness."It's not done just randomly. There's a specific reason why we rotate guys when we do, where we rotate them," DeGuglielmo said. "There's a rhyme and reason to everything."The crazy part about the Patriots' offensive-line rotation is that it's possible the team stumbled upon the strategy by accident. The team had to put Stork, a center, on injured reserve with a designation to return before the season started, and guard Ryan Wendell has yet to play a game this season.It's possible the Patriots could go back to utilizing five guys full-time once everyone's healthy, but with the success the team's having so far, that seems unlikely.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, the Bucs most successful years running the ball was when we platooned OLinemen. This is no surprise to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why the Pats are the Pats and the Bucs are the Bucs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can see subbing your worst couple linemen but I think I would want my stud guys on the field the whole time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wait - we should rotate Gilkey in then? I'm pretty sure we rotated guys in a lot last year.First of all, I'm pretty sure Brady has gotten rid of the ball faster than any QB this year (I heard this on a podcast a week ago).Second of all, Football Outsiders' data has shown that Adjusted Line Yards improve with OL continuity. The Pats are an outlier here and in most places.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sad but true. Bucs can't even line up right and these guys are rotating lineman. Bucs are playing checkers and the Pats are playing chess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Checkers?  Lol.  We are in the corner eating crayons out of the box.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Patriots are winning because of Tom Brady and how quick he is getting the ball out not because they are rotating offensive lineman. Pretty sure I do not want to be subbing Gilkey in every other series.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs aren’t that deep in linemen…Besides, other  successful teams are not rotating OL...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Checkers?  Lol.  We are in the corner eating crayons out of the box.

I'm imagining crableg flavor..nom, nom.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s all Brady, gents. An elite QB allows teams to do things like this. Brady is uber efficient in the pocket and knows exactly where to go with the ball. With an expedited decision making process employed by the QB, the pressure is taken off the lineman to provide more time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs rotate their defensive backs and are #10 overall in pass defense.  This isn’t anything new ladies and gentlemen.Bucs don't rotate their OL because:1. Depth is questionable2. Need OL rookies as much playing time as possible to learn.3. Rookie QB under center4. New offensive coorinator

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs rotate their defensive backs and are #10 overall in pass defense.  This isn't anything new ladies and gentlemen.Bucs don't rotate their OL because:1. Depth is questionable2. Need OL rookies as much playing time as possible to learn.3. Rookie QB under center4. New offensive coorinator

Bucs don't rotate their OL because nobody rotates their OL. It may not be totally new, but it's at  least rare. Heck, we talked about how stupid it was when Warhop did it last year!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What does this even mean? You could substitute the Bucs for any other team in the NFL in that equation and say the same thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Patriots are winning because of Tom Brady and how quick he is getting the ball out not because they are rotating offensive lineman. Pretty sure I do not want to be subbing Gilkey in every other series.

Exactly. The Pats could be playing with no OL other than a Center and they'd be doing pretty well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs rotate their defensive backs and are #10 overall in pass defense.  This isn't anything new ladies and gentlemen.Bucs don't rotate their OL because:1. Depth is questionable2. Need OL rookies as much playing time as possible to learn.3. Rookie QB under center4. New offensive coorinator

Bucs don't rotate their OL because nobody rotates their OL. It may not be totally new, but it's at  least rare. Heck, we talked about how stupid it was when Warhop did it last year!!

Yeah I don't like the rotating OL idea.  The Patriots are going to settle on their main five down the stretch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A top 3 QB of all time is the reason for winning. Not rotating lineman.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Bart Scott called him a cornball for dressing like a nerd and kissing kraft on the cheek all the time. Must be his san fran roots.

Please wait…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.