Viewing 81 reply threads

• Author

• mgchat76

Participant

Buccaneers Will Take Bortles at No. 7 but Unlikely to Trade Up Updated April 17, 2014 By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are one of the quarterback-needy teams picking in the top 10. After Josh Freeman turned into a bust, the new regime moved to bring in veteran Josh McCown to be the short-term starter. The Buccaneers obviously need a long-term starter, and they are going to target a quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft to groom behind McCown for a year. Sources have told us that the Buccaneers are operating under the premise that they won't be moving up from No. 7 overall and are giving consideration to whom they would target if they move down. Tampa Bay also has needs at wide receiver and the offensive line to help improve the NFL's last-ranked offense from 2013. The draft class is strong at offensive tackle and wideout, so the Buccaneers could still land a player who will provide an immediate impact while moving down to get more picks to address other needs. Lovie Smith and general manager Jason Licht inherited a roster that had a lot of holes. The new regime has done an excellent job of revamping it by bringing in a number of new starters and moving on from some bad contracts that paid players far beyond their value. Sources from other teams say that it is clear that Tampa Bay has upgraded the front office, coaching staff and roster this offseason. One source told us that the Buccaneers will take Central Florida's Blake Bortles if he falls to the seventh pick. Considering the time of year, that has to be taken with a grain of salt, but the intelligent and hard-working Bortles meshes well with the new coaching staff. With his pocket presence and mobility, sources with the team say that Bortles is a good fit for Tedford's offense. However, the Buccaneers also don't believe that Bortles will get to their pick considering the Texans, Jaguars, Browns or Raiders all need help at quarterback. Lately, there has been a lot of talk in the Tampa Bay media about the Bucs taking Johnny Manziel. The Bucs have shown a lot of interest in Manziel along with the other top quarterback prospects, so if Bortles is gone, they could easily take another quarterback like Manziel, Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater. If a good deal presents itself, the team could move down. The Bucs don't feel the need to move up and cost themselves picks that could strengthen their roster. With so many good options along the offensive line, wide receiver and quarterback, Tampa Bay feels it's in a nice position to hold tight at No. 7 and take the best player available at one of those three positions

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It will be a tough call if all 3 QB’s are there and they missed out on their other guys. I kinda agree that Bortles is most like a prototypical QB in size but Bridgewater is really good at reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. Something that Josh McCown also is great at doing. That is pretty rare trait for a QB and a trait that only great QB’s have. I did not see that with Bortles. Neither has a huge arm either.Not ideal year to be choosing a QB but its loads better than last year. The only QB I liked at all last year was Colby Cameron in the 7th round or UDFA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we pick a Carr at 7 im going to be furious. Check down master who can only throw screens.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Bucs are basically saying now that they will definitely take ANY QB who is there , and they are leaking different names to multiple different sources. LOL.I smell a serious smokescreen now . I think the Bucs know that our mostly likely chance for getting a trade back deal is with another team that wants to trade up for a QB. If they think we are going to draft that QB , that trade is more likely to happen.I'm convinced we want to trade back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would love for this to happen, but I think Bortles goes to the Texans.  I am not believing the Clowney hype.  If they do not select Bortles, I think they will go Mack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman 2.0. Great. You know it isn’t the worst thing in the world to not reach for your guy and give Glennon another year and some better coaching to try to improve. Bortles is the one guy that I just don’t want to touch. Call it a hunch but he’s forth in my book right now behind, Teddy, JFF and Carr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would love for this to happen, but I think Bortles goes to the Texans.  I am not believing the Clowney hype.  If they do not select Bortles, I think they will go Mack.

Clowney is going to the Texans.  Bank on it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When Licht was first hired he was asked if there were any franchise QBs in this draft. His response, ” I see franchise QBs in this draft, but likely not the ones you’re thinking of.” That was a few months back. Now that we are just a couple of weeks away from the 2014 NFL draft, I think the recent reports that the Bucs “will draft” Bortles, “love, love, love” Manziel, “will draft” Carr, “like” Bridgewater, I think these are all your typical pre-draft smokescreens. David Fales, Aaron Murray, or even Garret Gilbert could be one of our actual targets in this draft. Just my $0.02.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman 2.0. Great. You know it isn't the worst thing in the world to not reach for your guy and give Glennon another year and some better coaching to try to improve. Bortles is the one guy that I just don't want to touch. Call it a hunch but he's forth in my book right now behind, Teddy, JFF and Carr.

My name is now Bortles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When Licht was first hired he was asked if there were any franchise QBs in this draft. His response, " I see franchise QBs in this draft, but likely not the ones you're thinking of." That was a few months back. Now that we are just a couple of weeks away from the 2014 NFL draft, I think the recent reports that the Bucs "will draft" Bortles, "love, love, love" Manziel, "will draft" Carr, "like" Bridgewater, I think these are all your typical pre-draft smokescreens. David Fales, Aaron Murray, or even Garret Gilbert could be one of our actual targets in this draft. Just my $0.02.

It's clear in my mind this is exactly what's happening . Too many definitive leaks of different names to different sources . Smokescreen City.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We tend to read ‘sources’ as someone who actually is involved with the decision making,..  That’s not the reality, ever.In the media,  the bucs have been related to every one of the consensus top 5 QBs now.Half this board will have kittens if they pick a QB at 7.  The anticipation in not only seeing that but for damned draft is killing me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

CC, when it has come to the Bucs, has pretty much been right on all the secret info he has released while with WF.  He has a legit source at 1BP. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

CC, when it has come to the Bucs, has pretty much been right on all the secret info he has released while with WF.  He has a legit source at 1BP.

He's gotten stuff right when it comes to actual Bucs players, but he's been off on draft prognostications just like everyone else.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie will Not pick a qb in the first rd even if all qb’s are still on the board. I would even go as far as saying he won’t pick one in the 2nd. Not with McCown and Glennon on the roster. We don’t need a qb like we Need a wr, tackle, guard, cb, and lb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie will Not pick a qb in the first rd even if all qb's are still on the board. I would even go as far as saying he won't pick one in the 2nd. Not with McCown and Glennon on the roster. We don't need a qb like we Need a wr, tackle, guard, cb, and lb.

This^^^^ It's crazy how many people play armchair GM but when it comes down to it, the tea leaves seem to read otherwise.  You dont continue to use high draft picks on players that are 25/75 at best. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t compare a Qb to any other position lol. If they want a QB they view him as  a franchise guy and he will be a bigger difference maker than any other position on the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Out of all the top QBs Bortles remains the one that mystifies me why he’s a top QB other than the dreaded term, “upside”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can't compare a Qb to any other position lol. If they want a QB they view him as  a franchise guy and he will be a bigger difference maker than any other position on the team.

You do when you have signed a FA for the position, one you hand picked.  You do when you're a first time GM and you are trying not to shit your pants.  You do as a franchise when last year you let your first round draft pick go for some gimp superstar and then let him walk 9 mos. later. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Out of all the top QBs Bortles remains the one that mystifies me why he's a top QB other than the dreaded term, "upside".

Size, he's built like a QB in the NFL should be, he's athletic.  He's what a true 2nd round QB looks like.  They can coach someone like him up but with guys like JFF and Bridge, they are what they are.  You can't coach height and arm strength.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can't compare a Qb to any other position lol. If they want a QB they view him as  a franchise guy and he will be a bigger difference maker than any other position on the team.

You do when you have signed a FA for the position, one you hand picked.  You do when you're a first time GM and you are trying not to **CENSORED** your pants.  You do as a franchise when last year you let your first round draft pick go for some gimp superstar and then let him walk 9 mos. later.

You mean that old man that has like 2 years left? You don't let someone that old dictate what your going to do in the draft. You can pick up quality WRs, OL guys later in the draft. Guard is pretty easy to find late day 2 and 3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that hand picked FA is 35 and has really never been a successful starting QB in his career?  He’s a bridge, not any long term answer.  Same reason Oakland brought in Schaub.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that hand picked FA is 35 and has really never been a successful starting QB in his career?  He's a bridge, not any long term answer.  Same reason Oakland brought in Schaub.

Well, I'm being told there is a better than average chance, as of today the 17th of April, that Bridge, Bortles and Manziel will be gone by the time we pick.  Is Carr really your move??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smokescreen

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do when you have signed a FA for the position, one you hand picked.  You do when you're a first time GM and you are trying not to **CENSORED** your pants.  You do as a franchise when last year you let your first round draft pick go for some gimp superstar and then let him walk 9 mos. later.

You mean that old man that has like 2 years left? You don't let someone that old dictate what your going to do in the draft. You can pick up quality WRs, OL guys later in the draft. Guard is pretty easy to find late day 2 and 3.

with that logic we can wait till next yrs draft and do whatever we have to do to draft Winston. He’s a better qb than any one in this draft. But that logic is retarded cause guys like Brady and Russel Wilson proved its retarded.Defense wins championships and we have a bigger need at cb and lb than we do at QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Though not my first choice, Bortles having “upside” or whatever you want to call it is fine since we wont start right away. All these reports of us liking all the QB’s at 7 does kinda feel like they want to trade back and make it seem like they would take any QB available.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Defense wins championships because once you get to the playoffs, all the teams have good QBs. Not having a good QB wins you a top 10 draft pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys sound like you are in denial. Must be glennonites.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

with that logic we can wait till next yrs draft and do whatever we have to do to draft Winston. He's a better qb than any one in this draft. But that logic is retarded cause guys like Brady and Russel Wilson proved its retarded.Defense wins championships and we have a bigger need at cb and lb than we do at QB.

LMAO. Yeah those holes we have at CB and Lb are bigger than QB. 35 year old turd who put together a nice stretch of games for once in his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

with that logic we can wait till next yrs draft and do whatever we have to do to draft Winston. He's a better qb than any one in this draft. But that logic is retarded cause guys like Brady and Russel Wilson proved its retarded.Defense wins championships and we have a bigger need at cb and lb than we do at QB.

LMAO. Yeah those holes we have at CB and Lb are bigger than QB. 35 year old turd who put together a nice stretch of games for once in his career.

Once again, are you going all in on Carr because you think he's the savior of our franchise drought at QB?  It doesn't look like any of the other QBs will be there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is Andy Dalton really all that good ? Pretty damn Meh if you ask me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

people tend to see what they want to see. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Once again, are you going all in on Carr because you think he's the savior of our franchise drought at QB?  It doesn't look like any of the other QBs will be there.

This is about Bortles being there, not Carr. I would be pissed if we took Carr at #7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

people tend to see what they want to see.

Quote of the day^^^^.  People have more made up images in their mind regarding this crop of QBs and their success than any draft I can remember. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

35 year old turd who put together a nice stretch of games for once in his career.

compared to a rookie with no nfl experience? face it, even if Lovie goes against his convictions and waste our 1st on your qb of choice, that guy will most likely ride the pine which still negates your argument cause logic says you dont invest a high pick on a player that wont contribute out of the gate.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you want the Bucs to draft a QB then the signs point to it actually happening.  And yes maybe the desire colors your opinion on the prospects.  But the exact same thing can be said for the “we don’t want to draft a QB crowd”.  It’s a pretty interesting dynamic. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is Andy Dalton really all that good ? Pretty damn Meh if you ask me.

Dalton went all meltdown in the playoffs but he was an 88 rated passer. No he's not THAT good if you want to compare to Manning, Rodgers and such but he is good enough. This is where the defense starts to matter for them because while Dalton is good enough to get you into the playoffs he alone is, unless he goes all Flacco 2013, isn't good enough to carry you through. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you want the Bucs to draft a QB then the signs point to it actually happening.  And yes maybe the desire colors your opinion on the prospects.  But the exact same thing can be said for the "we don't want to draft a QB crowd".  It's a pretty interesting dynamic.

Here's the thing. If Luck, Winston, Mariotta were in this draft, I would be all in on drafting a QB and turning the page on Glennon.  These QBs dont do it for me. I'm less in love with Glennon than I am sickened by the crop of QB available to replace him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you want the Bucs to draft a QB then the signs point to it actually happening.  And yes maybe the desire colors your opinion on the prospects.  But the exact same thing can be said for the "we don't want to draft a QB crowd".  It's a pretty interesting dynamic.

Here's the thing. If Luck, Winston, Mariotta were in this draft, I would be all in on drafting a QB and turning the page on Glennon.  These QBs dont do it for me. I'm less in love with Glennon than I am sickened by the crop of QB available to replace him.

We aren't going to be in position to draft any of those 3 guys or guys like them anytime in the next few years. We lack totally bottoming out potential. You need to stop waiting to the perfect prospect. Rodgers wasn't one. Brees wasn't one.  Rivers wasn't one. Roth wasn't one. Cutler wasn't one. Basically no one is flawless, and Mariota can be picked apart as easily as the current crop of guys BTW,  and they are all a risk.  By your standards you wouldn't have drafted any of those guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We aren't going to be in position to draft any of those 3 guys or guys like them anytime in the next few years. We lack totally bottoming out potential. You need to stop waiting to the perfect prospect. Rodgers wasn't one. Brees wasn't one.  Rivers wasn't one. Roth wasn't one. Cutler wasn't one. Basically no one is flawless, and Mariota can be picked apart as easily as the current crop of guys BTW,  and they are all a risk.  By your standards you wouldn't have drafted any of those guys.

There was little or no risk in drafting Luck.  I do feel the same way regarding Winston (wins at everything) and Mariota (smart enough for Chip Kelley, smart enough for me).  Why wouldn't you just roll with what you have next season to see what you have in Glennon or McCown and then make a call on QB.  That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And I wouldnt have drafted anyone of them. Sure as hell would have traded the farm for em if my team was set at every position except that one. Like Gruden, I prefer my qb to be seasoned and experienced. I have little patience for developmental projects and prefer my drafted qb’s to learn behind a veteran qb for a few yrs before handing the reigns over to them. Thats why I think Glennon is just as good as any qb in this draft and feel no need to waste a first or second on a rookie qb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There was little or no risk in drafting Luck.  I do feel the same way regarding Winston (wins at everything) and Mariota (smart enough for Chip Kelley, smart enough for me).  Why wouldn't you just roll with what you have next season to see what you have in Glennon or McCown and then make a call on QB.  That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Luck yes, Mariotta? Only if Kelley’s my coach. Otherwise, I wouldnt touch Mariotta in the first 3 rds and even then, he’s running my scout team for a for years before he even see’s 1st team snaps.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like Gruden, I prefer my qb to be seasoned and experienced. I have little patience for developmental projects and prefer my drafted qb's to learn behind a veteran qb for a few yrs before handing the reigns over to them.

Good luck with that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs are pinpointing a QB of the future at some point this year or next year. Whether that guy is one of the top three from this class (Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles), a later pick (Murray, Garoppolo, Gilbert), one of the QBs in next year’s draft or even if the guy is Mike Glennon, it’s going to be addressed by the team. They’re not going forward with McCown and no other plan for the future.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like Gruden, I prefer my qb to be seasoned and experienced. I have little patience for developmental projects and prefer my drafted qb's to learn behind a veteran qb for a few yrs before handing the reigns over to them.

Good luck with that.

wonder why he isn’t a GM. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck with that.

lol at this guy. We have a superbowl banner hanging in out stadium because of that approach. You are major fail

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck with that.

wonder why he isn't a GM.

lol, say’s FRG’s alter ego. When we laugh at your post just remember we’re laughing at you and not with you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck with that.

lol at this guy. We have a superbowl banner hanging in out stadium because of that approach. You are major fail

What happened after that?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck with that.

doesnt matter, you’re trying to make a point based off whole nother argument. Just let skull head do the talking for you, he knows how to work a bone ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck with that.

doesnt matter, you're trying to make a point based off whole nother argument. Just let skull head do the talking for you, he knows how to work a bone ;)

I'll tell you what happened. The Bucs didn't win a playoff game again under Jon Gruden and ten of the next eleven QBs to win the Super Bowl did so for the teams that drafted them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pwnd

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

If Jon wasn’t fired the Bucs probably would have had another ring or 2 by now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two.  One with Farve and one with Manning. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What happened after that?doesnt matter, you're trying to make a point based off whole nother argument. Just let skull head do the talking for you, he knows how to work a bone ;)I'll tell you what happened. The Bucs didn't win a playoff game again under Jon Gruden and ten of the next eleven QBs to win the Super Bowl did so for the teams that drafted them.Zinga! Sounds exactly like what happened. Every year everyone says next season is the year for drafting a QB. I guarantee you when next season gets here the class won't look as stellar as it looks now. I'd be fine if they started a rook for 16 games.  Let him get the experience,.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

doesnt matter, you’re trying to make a point based off whole nother argument. Just let skull head do the talking for you, he knows how to work a bone ;)I'll tell you what happened. The Bucs didn't win a playoff game again under Jon Gruden and ten of the next eleven QBs to win the Super Bowl did so for the teams that drafted them.Zinga! Sounds exactly like what happened. Every year everyone says next season is the year for drafting a QB. I guarantee you when next season gets here the class won't look as stellar as it looks now. I'd be fine if they started a rook for 16 games.  Let him get the experience,.and thats your opinion and it's all good. We're not talking about other franchises though, we're talking the Bucs and the last time we had any post season success, it was with a vet we didn't draft. Since then we have drafted rooks(one in the first rnd) to little success and handed the franchise to a rook last season. Now we have a vet coach who brought in a vet qb and some ppl think the Bucs are drafting a qb in the 1st...it Aint happening. Lovie has the final say on everything this franchise does and nothing in his DNA says he will draft a qb with the #7 overall pick. He may, which I would be shocked, but chances are he won't. Chances are we start the season with McCown and hopefully finish it with the same qb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Defense wins championships because once you get to the playoffs, all the teams have good QBs. Not having a good QB wins you a top 10 draft pick.

Best post I've seen in a while.Lovie made it to the super bowl with D and no QB and lost a very winnable game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Best post I've seen in a while.Lovie made it to the super bowl with D and no QB and lost a very winnable game.

If that's the best post you've seen why did you just disagree with it ?Grossman disproves his point . Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But….But…we want Manziel because he runs real fast and stuff….Crying%2BBaby%2BNatural%2BHigh%2Bfor%2BSome%2BMoms.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a fan.  But I would understand the pick, and I would keep my fingers crossed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cute but rugged looking at the same time.  Win win!  Garropollo is cute but in a boy band kind of way. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Bucs are basically saying now that they will definitely take ANY QB who is there , and they are leaking different names to multiple different sources. LOL.I smell a serious smokescreen now . I think the Bucs know that our mostly likely chance for getting a trade back deal is with another team that wants to trade up for a QB. If they think we are going to draft that QB , that trade is more likely to happen.I'm convinced we want to trade back.

I think you're likely right.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Not a fan.  But I would understand the pick, and I would keep my fingers crossed.

+1 Pretty much how I feel as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep… 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bortles is my least favorite of the top few projected QBs, I just haven’t been impressed watching him play. If they take him, I won’t complain, I’ll be excited that they see a QB they think can be our franchise guy. However there’s SOOOO much smoke surrounding us and Manziel/Carr/now Bortles that I think we’re either A) mostly interested in Bridgewater B) trying to trade back or C) hoping someone else trades up in front of us to grab a QB and push someone else down that we’re really eyeing.I like Manziel and I like Bridgewater but the more we hear about us going QB the less I believe it'll happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be happy with any of the top 3 QBs at #7 – Manziel, Bridgewater, or BortlesThere are other guys I would be happy with also, but if one of these 3 is available at 7, I would take them over anyone except Clowney.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If that's the best post you've seen why did you just disagree with it ?Grossman disproves his point . Lol.

Lol, I see what you're saying. But Lovie didn't win the championship. He was a Russel Wilson away from winning and from his defense being given the Seattle package of media acclaim.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bortles is raw. I don’t want him for that reason alone but his upside is 2nd highest behind Carr. Only real knock on him is that his deep ball is very spotty and it doesn’t come out pretty. His accuracy from everywhere else on the field is pretty NFL caliber first round type though. I just think only two years of starting experience isn’t enough for a QB prospect coming out. I will give him credit though for calling out his own audibles and was able to make pre-snap reads despite his inexperience under center.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No Manziel?bag-over-head.jpgTom Riddle fails into a deep despair

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Bortles, but I doubt he is there at #7. I think he has all the tools, but is raw. I think he has the most upside of all the QB’s in this draft. With the right coaching he could be a great QB in the NFL.  IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be happy with Bortles at #7 if this is true. I still think we take one of the QB’s at #7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Bortles, but I doubt he is there at #7. I think he has all the tools, but is raw.

That statement generally means he will someday make his second head coach very happy....after he gets his first head coach fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bortles is the Anti Freeman.Wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Bortles, but I doubt he is there at #7. I think he has all the tools, but is raw.

That statement generally means he will someday make his second head coach very happy....after he gets his first head coach fired.

So true. Ideally you let him sit for a couple years and adapt / learn.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has great size, and throws a nice ball, and from what I have heard, he has it between the ears.  So in the right situation, he could develop fairly quickly. JFF is 5-11, and next year he will be still be 5-11. Your stuck with that. That is not changing. But polishing Bortles game is very possible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we pick a Carr at 7 im going to be furious. Check down master who can only throw screens.

And what NFL Front office do you work for that makes you such and expert on pro prospects?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could Bortles game be polished, yes.  However, he has all the physical tools you look for in a QB.  Size, mobility, arm strength, decision masking.  One thing Bortles does extremely well with compared to manziel and bridgewateter is stay calm under pressure.  If there is no escape route he will take a hit if necessary to make the completion.Bortles intangibles are of the chart and is a fighter.  Evidence exists in his come from behind victories.  Additionally, as a freshman another freshman qb won the starting role, beat Georgia in the liberty bowl, and was a freshman all American.  The next year as a RS freshman Bortles played in every game and eventually beat out the all American incumbent.  He did not transfer, he worked hard and won the job!  One last thing- the notion that he is raw is ridiculous.  Can he improve, yes.  He started for two years and won 10 and 11 games.  The USF game this year is his only  real subpar performance.  Unfortunately, I think this a moot point.  I think Bortles will go #1 to the Texans unless the texans select Mack. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could Bortles game be polished, yes.  However, he has all the physical tools you look for in a QB.  Size, mobility, arm strength, decision masking.  One thing Bortles does extremely well with compared to manziel and bridgewateter is stay calm under pressure.  If there is no escape route he will take a hit if necessary to make the completion.Bortles intangibles are of the chart and is a fighter.  Evidence exists in his come from behind victories.  Additionally, as a freshman another freshman qb won the starting role, beat Georgia in the liberty bowl, and was a freshman all American.  The next year as a RS freshman Bortles played in every game and eventually beat out the all American incumbent.  He did not transfer, he worked hard and won the job!  One last thing- the notion that he is raw is ridiculous.  Can he improve, yes.  He started for two years and won 10 and 11 games.  The USF game this year is his only  real subpar performance.  Unfortunately, I think this a moot point.  I think Bortles will go #1 to the Texans unless the texans select Mack.

With the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Houston Texans select, out of the University of South Carolina, Jadevon Clowney!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smokescreen. They are going WR at #7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep , smokescreen . They are blabbing way to much about QBS to actually want one in the 1st. They couldn't be this dumb to invite QB hungry teams like Minnesota to jump in front of them .No doubt in my mind were going wr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t think it is a smokescreen. They may want a QB, which one they want to take is another question. If there is smoke it is around the object of their affection. When you bop Glennon down the depth chart and put your future in the hands of anyone with an Mc in their last name you are committing career suicide unless you find a better option quickly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a feeling Lovie disagrees.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a feeling Lovie disagrees.

Then he has learned nothing. I prefer to think he has learned something.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s not that he’s learned nothing. I think we are going offense heavy in this draft.  He isn’t going to ignore that side of the ball.I simply think he thinks a lot more highly of McCown than you do , and is confident enough in what he can bring in the short term to not go reaching wildly for any QB he can get his hands on in this draft.It's the smart play if you ask me. There's no Luck in this draft and we still have lots of holes.

Please wait…

Viewing 81 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.